The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 12:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
For me too. I have nothing against Meghan, and I wish both her, Harry and her relationship all the best in the future. But I have to admit that I find it a bit odd that some of the posters here are so full of praise for a woman that almost nobody knew anything about until the end of last year, and who has just dated Harry for a year.

Agrees! But if her thought is: I'm dating a guy whose mother was hugely famous and quite glamorous, then she must be a bit slow.

Harry is first and foremost (as I have said several times) grandchild of Elizabeth II, Queen of 16 countries, figurehead of 2 billion people, the most popular/iconic and famous head of state (many would say person) in the world.

Diana was just famous because she was married to Charles - The same goes for Philip, Camilla and Kate who are just famous for being married to some very special people.
I have found no one here who remotely considers her a saint

You're right we have only known her as a girlfriend for ten months. But we're not judging her on her abilities as a girlfriend. We are judging her as a human being, which she has been far longer. If they wed, she will still be a human being, not a stepford robot. So it's important to also judge a girlfriend as a human being.

Fortunately as Meghan is not some unknown, we do have things to go by. We know more about her then Cressida, Chelsy and Kate this early on. Because all we knew of them was as a girlfriend and odd rumor.

She may have been a girlfriend for ten months, but she has been a human being for thirty five years. And she seems, though not saintly, a pretty good one. She has an education, a career, does charity work. These are all traits any parent would be happy to find in a perspective daughter in law.

Just as we don't think she us a saint. We don't think she needs to have cured cancer, have a Phd and look like a super model as some posters do.

Meghan as a girlfriend we need to see more. As a human being she has done pretty well so far. And that's half the job.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Rehashing old interviews again. This is from 10 months ago, just when she began to date Harry.

I'm sorry if my gushing about Meghan annoys others. I have loosely followed her career for a while now, I've been a suit watcher from the start or the show. I just think she's wonderful, charming, and would seem like a great partner for Harry. I personally like the more positive tone of this forum, I stopped reading anywhere else, because of the 'she's an evil, manipulative hag' posts.
I hardly think you have been gushing. Let's face it, this is the first serious 'woman' that Harry has dated. He and Chelsy grew up together and as he got older the press got more intrusive as they were following two late teens early twenty's who partied at all the "In" places, drinking vintage champagne and very expensive vodka. Their relationship didn't survive their maturing, Cressida, to me, never seemed like an actual 'girlfriend' and Harry didn't seem happier in her presence that not. It seemed more like a 'friends with benefits' sort of deal.

On the other hand, he has been very protective of Meghan and discreet about their relationship. No one is talking and as a consequence of their transatlantic relationship, we have seen very little of them together and yet when you consider the touching, e.g. hand holding, arm around her, kissing in a public place etc. we have seen a significant amount of PDA and, if I had any doubts about how he feels about her, his general demeanor was the direct antithesis of his usual behaviour when he and William arrived at Pippa's wedding. He wasn't his usual sparkling self.

Like a significant number of those on these forums, I hit Google when I first heard about her and what was available was very positive. She is educated, she is pro-active about the lives of women and girls internationally. She is talented enough to be part of a popular ensemble show in the US, cultured and confident enough to conduct herself with considerable presence in interviews and knowledgeable enough to acquit herself well addressing the UN. Even more, she had a full life which included her lifestyle blog 'The Tig' and a very lucrative design and modelling contract, both of which she has cancelled, most probably as a result of her personal relationship with Harry. If nothing else it shows she is very sensitive to both who Harry and her own situation.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I have found no one here who remotely considers her a saint

You're right we have only known her as a girlfriend for ten months. But we're not judging her on her abilities as a girlfriend. We are judging her as a human being, which she has been far longer. If they wed, she will still be a human being, not a stepford robot. So it's important to also judge a girlfriend as a human being.

Fortunately as Meghan is not some unknown, we do have things to go by. We know more about her then Cressida, Chelsy and Kate this early on. Because all we knew of them was as a girlfriend and odd rumor.

She may have been a girlfriend for ten months, but she has been a human being for thirty five years. And she seems, though not saintly, a pretty good one. She has an education, a career, does charity work. These are all traits any parent would be happy to find in a perspective daughter in law.

Just as we don't think she us a saint. We don't think she needs to have cured cancer, have a Phd and look like a super model as some posters do.

Meghan as a girlfriend we need to see more. As a human being she has done pretty well so far. And that's half the job.
1. You are not one of them, but there are a few members here (especially one) who seems to look at Meghan as the best thing that has ever happened to the monarchy. Something that they are entitled to.

And if I'm having trouble with that, then I can of course keep myself away from this thread, which I mostly do.

2. Yes, she does charity work, as almost all these actresses does.

But I agree with what you write, and as you say, she seems like a good person.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen E View Post
"Prince Harry’s Future Half African, Half Jewish American Wife, Who’s Also a Divorcée?"
Not to mention Irish!!

The Monarchy is doomed!!
Old 06-03-2017, 07:04 AM
Majesty

Will William have a say in Meghan's engagement ring, and what is it likely to look like?
https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/Wha...-Like-43599023
Old 06-03-2017, 07:43 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Several posts discussing Diana - again - have been removed.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Will William have a say in Meghan's engagement ring, and what is it likely to look like?
https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/Wha...-Like-43599023
I don't see why William should have anything to say about it, unless Harry wants to use a ring from the vaults or something like that.

And I've read speculation previously that Meghan's favorite gem is the emerald (though I don't know that for a fact).

In any case, surely there are enough rings available so he doesn't have to break up an emerald necklace or bracelet for her. He can always work with Garrard's or another designer to create something just for her.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

First off whomever Harry marries I am hoping he uses something either from the BRF collection stashed away or one of his mother's stones repurposed (assuming there's not a ring already existing in her collection that would be useable).......or he could avoid it all together and have a brand new ring bought/designed.

I hope he uses something of his mother's...I think it would be very meaningful.

The title of the article is just clickbait...William isn't going to have a 'say' about it in the manner they imply. Typical media.

LaRae
Old 06-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I agree that William won't have a "say" in the ring, the proposal, which knee to get down and dirty on or how to wear his hair at the time. However, if there's one person that Harry would use as a sounding board for those big "what do I do?" questions, it would be William. I do believe that the brothers are quite close and if memory isn't out to lunch again, William talked over his choice of an engagement ring for Kate with Harry and they both agreed that William would use Diana's engagement ring for the occasion.

No matter what ring, no matter what stone, no matter if its old or new, its not the ring itself that will affect the engagement. The ring is a symbol of the formal agreement between two people to marry and spend their lives together. I'm sure that Harry will have Meghan totally in mind when choosing it too with a bit of conniving with his big brother about it all.

Again, its still a big "if" they get engaged and married.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 06-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yep...they are close, both of them have said it in interviews. Can't imagine either of them making that type of decision without talking to the other one.

IIRC, re: Diana's ring, it was said in an interview/article that they had an agreement..whoever got engaged first could use it.

LaRae
Old 06-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Courtier

So, I was looking at some pictures of Meghan's past fashion and noticed that in July last year, the DM ran a story about one of Pippa's Wimbledon outfits. Halfway down the page, there's a picture of Meghan when she attended the same day.

Pippa Middleton wears geometric print dress to Wimbledon 2016 | Daily Mail Online

Possibly the last time Meghan was referred to in the DM as anything other than Harry's GF?
Old 06-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Maybe so...we are pretty sure they were dating by this point...just not yet known by the media.

LaRae
Old 06-03-2017, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Maybe so...we are pretty sure they were dating by this point...just not yet known by the media.LaRae
I find the inclusion of her picture as telling. Something must have occurred to tip some editor off that something was brewing. The only explanation for her inclusion in that story IMO. But not enough (then) to actually make a claim.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
So, I was looking at some pictures of Meghan's past fashion and noticed that in July last year, the DM ran a story about one of Pippa's Wimbledon outfits. Halfway down the page, there's a picture of Meghan when she attended the same day.

Pippa Middleton wears geometric print dress to Wimbledon 2016 | Daily Mail Online

Possibly the last time Meghan was referred to in the DM as anything other than Harry's GF?
Thanks for linking the article - ironic that Cressida is pictured near the top of the article whereas Meghan is near the end of a lot of photos of folks.
If Meghan attends Wimbledon this year & Cressida does as well I predict the placement of photos to be switched w/ Meghan first, Pippa second, Cressida third and the obligatory fictional story of some sort of feud between Meghan and Cressida :)
I'm not sure Meghan will attend Wimbledon this year as her friend Serena isn't playing as she's expecting. Also it's hard to know whether Meghan's filming schedule will allow a trip to England for Wimbledon.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent

^ Pippa and Megan look pretty similar, especially when Pippa is glowing from being tanned. I kept thinking that Meghan looked pretty similar to some other famous person, I could not figure it out and then I see these pictures of Pippa from last year.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Meghan was among a number of celebrities in that article. Not that uncommon. At these kinds of events, the DM always posts pics of celebrities in the audience. The fact she was a little known celebrity in the uk, had her down so far. The reason she caught any attention was because of Serena Williams.

She and Harry would have met by then, but no sign they actually were dating yet. And no hints arose they were dating until October. Wimbledon was hind sight, the daily mail went back after rumors appeared in October and said 'oh look she was there'.

If she was featured becayse of suspicions we'd know. How many articles have been printed about 'rumored girlfriend' when seen near a woman. If there was even a hint of speculation, her photo would be up with Cressida, and hardly veiled suggestions made.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I find the inclusion of her picture as telling. Something must have occurred to tip some editor off that something was brewing. The only explanation for her inclusion in that story IMO. But not enough (then) to actually make a claim.

That's a stretch. If you look through the pictures, a good number of celebrities are shown. They just kind of round up all the famous (by whatever degree) people who happened to have been at Wimbledon that day. The DM typically takes that approach.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Majesty

If they get married, Meghan will need to stop that ridiculous cross legged 'I have to go to the loo' pose that she and other celebrities do when being photographed.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
That's a stretch. If you look through the pictures, a good number of celebrities are shown. They just kind of round up all the famous (by whatever degree) people who happened to have been at Wimbledon that day. The DM typically takes that approach.
Dunno about that. We know Harry was aggressively pursuing her during that time. Meghan told Larry King that there were several interested parties, correct? Harry could have been around and it was noted that he was keen towards her. Could have been so. Speculation, of course. JMO.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

I think DM would've blasted that little tidbit the loudest, if they were tipped off about Meghan being Harry's new love interest. She is Serena Williams' friend, a celeb in her own right, DM published her picture because of that.

Closed Thread