The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #6061  
Old 05-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It's just best to not follow endless speculations and just sit and wait and see. We've been through all this before.
Yeps. We're veterans at this sort of thing.

This all is actually the calm before the storm in regards to Harry and Meghan's relationship. Once the engagement is announced (if it ever is), the activity in the Harry threads and other relevant threads are going to make what we see now as moving at a snail's pace and we're bound to see a huge influx of new posters interested in following everything to do with Harry's wedding.

Enjoy the relaxed pace while it lasts.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #6062  
Old 05-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It's just best to not follow endless speculations and just sit and wait and see. We've been through all this before.


Dman, you don't have to join in the speculation. But what's the harm in those of us who enjoy it partaking? Most of this whole thread is speculation....
__________________

  #6063  
Old 05-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Dman, you don't have to join in the speculation. But what's the harm in those of us who enjoy it partaking? Most of this whole thread is speculation....
The job of a royal watcher is observing what is going on. We talk about what we see and how it seems to be in our eyes. Its the stuff discussions are made out of and its interesting to see how different people see things different ways.

Sometimes we're right on the money and can do the "I told you so" dance happily in front of our monitors and sometimes we'll slap ourselves on the forehead and ask ourselves how we could have ever believed something so insidious as was "scooped" by gossip sites and the Fail. Sometimes heated discussions occur over something very small and very trivial.

As I said, it keeps us busy and off the streets and out of trouble (with the occasional wrist slapping by the mods doing their job).
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #6064  
Old 05-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 5,185
Quote:
Keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.
Thank goodness because if I had to get in touch with your local authorities this could make things awkward between us!

Meanwhile I'm secretly hoping that the pair are already engaged and are just awaiting the right time to share the news.
  #6065  
Old 05-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Charlotte, United States
Posts: 143
Why would Harry propose if they had to keep it secret for months?
  #6066  
Old 05-30-2017, 11:25 AM
xenobia's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Near the artic circle, Sweden
Posts: 941
Why is everyone so sure that Harry will propose? I'm married, and my husband never proposed. We discussed our future together from early on in our marriage. When we felt that we were sure that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together, we got married.

Perhaps Harry wants to propose? But I'm also quite sure that even in the cases where there is a proposal, it's more of a rhetorical question. Couples who want to be together decides this bit by bit, I think.
  #6067  
Old 05-30-2017, 11:32 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC, United States
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Oh the media..they've had Harry house hunting for over a year at least.


LaRae
I know but I believe it this time!! It all fits now.
  #6068  
Old 05-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyT View Post
Why would Harry propose if they had to keep it secret for months?
One very good reason. Its something personal between Harry and Meghan and their families and friends. No need to alert the public masses until its absolutely necessary.

Most likely too, there is a lot of things to put into place and things needed to be done before going "public". One would be Meghan's contract with Suits. She may want to be totally free and clear of commitments to Suits before making her future step be known publicly.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #6069  
Old 05-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Highgrove will also fall into the realm of the things available to William once he becomes Duke of Cornwall when Charles becomes King. Its possible that if William isn't interested in using it himself that he could "lease" it to Harry and his family if that's what Harry seemed to be interested in doing.

One thing I do think though is that the two brothers will have places in close proximity to each other so that their families can grow together.
ITA...which is partly why I don't see a reason that he would be shopping for a separate estate.


LaRae
  #6070  
Old 05-30-2017, 12:28 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,629
I think fundamentally this would ruin the concept "us and them". And let me explain before I get attacked and told privately I am not allowed to post.

In the 21st century we have seen with entertainment and personally the mixing of what real and genuine celebrities were...the real stars.

Thanks to reality TV, the line has been blurred forever.

While I give credit to William, Catherine, and Harry for their desire to discuss mental health issues, to show us they are just like us...in reality, they are not.

There MUST be that line that separates us from them, otherwise, what would be the point of the Monarchy?

Harry, in his desire to live a normal life like we ourselves live, is, I think, blurring it too much. That video of him and the Queen last year...was a little too...common...a little too low-class for me. Just MO.

This is an average actress, a woman who has already voiced her views in typical modern Hollywood ways..

The British Monarchy did survive Wallis, it did, narrowly, survive the mess between Charles and Diana, and could now tolerate Camilla.. Diana and Camilla both come from the background though.

Catherine may have been born middle class, or upper middle class, but her breeding and the way she carries herself allowed her like the Countess of Wessex to transfer to the other side and become one of them.

This woman, I am sorry, my gut tells me no. It is too Hollywood, too blurring the lines between "us" and "them".

Harry needs to remember at the end of the day whether he likes it or not he is a Prince of the House of Windsor. He does not, maybe sadly, have the choices and the ability to live like a "normal" person, like we do.

If you keep blurring the lines, then what becomes the point of having them at all?

Maybe if he marries her he should just leave the The Firm, ask Andy Cohen for a reality show then and then he can have that normal life he seems to crave.

I give him tremendous respect for his compassion, for his charities, for his desire to talk about mental health, his HIV tests, he and William are wonderful representations of their mother on Earth.

But this might be hard to swallow if it happens. The British press and the aristocracy can be brutal. Harry may or may not care at all.

Go ahead and beat me up and send me private IMs how I should just shut up, that's fine. But we should all be able to post our true thoughts on here.

Have a good day to you all reading this.
  #6071  
Old 05-30-2017, 12:37 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
The line only exists in people's heads...there is no real difference between 'royals' and the rest of us.

In reality there is no line to blur. People know this...Harry marrying or not someone who isn't part of their culture makes no difference. The reason the BRF is tolerated and even celebrated is because of Tradition and folks generally like them to represent their country.


LaRae
  #6072  
Old 05-30-2017, 12:54 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 894
I get the feeling that no matter what their accomplishments the British don't really like what they do. William helps save lives and does his royal engagements and also is involved in mental health efforts and conservation. Harry founded Invictus and Sentable which seem to be successful, he has former Presidents and First Ladies who LOVE HIM!! If you guys are upset over one lady he dates then the rest of the world would gladly take them. If ONE LADY is enough to trash the whole system then your system is shallow and weak to begin with. Both Harry and William do so much and will do even more in the future.
  #6073  
Old 05-30-2017, 01:07 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jackonsville, United States
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
I think fundamentally this would ruin the concept "us and them". And let me explain before I get attacked and told privately I am not allowed to post.

In the 21st century we have seen with entertainment and personally the mixing of what real and genuine celebrities were...the real stars.

Thanks to reality TV, the line has been blurred forever.

While I give credit to William, Catherine, and Harry for their desire to discuss mental health issues, to show us they are just like us...in reality, they are not.

There MUST be that line that separates us from them, otherwise, what would be the point of the Monarchy?

Harry, in his desire to live a normal life like we ourselves live, is, I think, blurring it too much. That video of him and the Queen last year...was a little too...common...a little too low-class for me. Just MO.

This is an average actress, a woman who has already voiced her views in typical modern Hollywood ways..

The British Monarchy did survive Wallis, it did, narrowly, survive the mess between Charles and Diana, and could now tolerate Camilla.. Diana and Camilla both come from the background though.

Catherine may have been born middle class, or upper middle class, but her breeding and the way she carries herself allowed her like the Countess of Wessex to transfer to the other side and become one of them.

This woman, I am sorry, my gut tells me no. It is too Hollywood, too blurring the lines between "us" and "them".

Harry needs to remember at the end of the day whether he likes it or not he is a Prince of the House of Windsor. He does not, maybe sadly, have the choices and the ability to live like a "normal" person, like we do.

If you keep blurring the lines, then what becomes the point of having them at all?

Maybe if he marries her he should just leave the The Firm, ask Andy Cohen for a reality show then and then he can have that normal life he seems to crave.

I give him tremendous respect for his compassion, for his charities, for his desire to talk about mental health, his HIV tests, he and William are wonderful representations of their mother on Earth.

But this might be hard to swallow if it happens. The British press and the aristocracy can be brutal. Harry may or may not care at all.

Go ahead and beat me up and send me private IMs how I should just shut up, that's fine. But we should all be able to post our true thoughts on here.

Have a good day to you all reading this.
You should be able to post your true thoughts on here, without question. However, some may not agree with you, which is fine, and it is why we come here to discuss these issues on a discussion board 😀

I don't agree that marrying Meghan means Harry should leave his position in the RF or become a reality TV star. What made you come to that conclusion?

I think it would be a big adjustment for Meghan, but I think she would entering it with eyes wide open. As you mentioned Sophie and Kate, have entered The Firm fairly well. Neither one of them has the correct "background", but I do think it helped that they both are from the UK. That will be another obstacle for Meghan, but again, I don't think it is insurmountable.

As far as the "us and them" situation, there is no difference between royals and everyone else. I guess you could say that is why monarchies are not doing well, generally speaking. I would be surprised if monarchies are still going in 200 years.

I do get concerned about the topic of "breeding" when it comes to royals since we are talking about people. I do understand that people have different views on this topic, however.
  #6074  
Old 05-30-2017, 01:18 PM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,918
Good for you for stating your unadulterated opinions Lady Marmalade. I wholeheartedly do not agree with your stance, but free speech is a wonderful thing.

Anyways, your attitude is rather upper crust and hoity-toity, especially for someone who resides in Chicago, IL. I'm sure Prince Harry's friends (who are mostly aristocrats btw) would look down their noses at your utter and complete stuffy 'tude! Since Harry's friends and immediate family members have reportedly all accepted Rachel Meghan Markle, an American, why do you think it is (particularly if you too are an American) that you are so OTT disdainful of her???

BTW, your namesake probably does not agree with you!

"Hey sista, soul sista, go sista, go sista!!!"


And the 2009 version! Flow sista! Whoa sista!
  #6075  
Old 05-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,722
I have to agree with the opinions that when it boils down to the basics, the British royal family is just as human as we are. The difference between the members of the BRF and the rest of the known world is the role they play, the things that make them stand out as "different" and most of all, they represent the monarchy of the UK which is a continuing long historical saga that has grown as the kingdom has over the centuries.

As people, we love to be entertained and amused and for each of that, we find it in our own interests. Some people love reality shows and there are plenty of actors and actresses out there that will supply it. Some people love horror stories and movies and there's a plethora of them too. Some of us like to watch the British royal family and what they get up to and everything that is involved with them.

There's a difference though between entertainment and the monarchy. The monarchy is the central focal point for everything British. The monarchy and the "Firm" which does the work of the monarchy isn't geared to entertaining but to inform, assist and represent their people.

More and more, as we've seen with the example recently pointed out with the video of Harry and his grandmother promoting the upcoming Invictus games (I believe that's the video that was referenced), the message is what is important. How many people it reaches, how many people it informs that something like this exists and if it can be entertaining, amusing, silly or any other adjective you want to put on it, as long as the message is received, that's all that matters really.

The time has really long passed that anyone familiar with the British royal family, Harry, Lupo or any of them are perceived to be "different" than the mailman in the regards of being people of "quality" or a person's "better" or above and beyond what you and I are.

As a mailman fulfills his role delivering our mail, the actress playing a role in one of our TV shows willing to entertain us weekly or a Prince of the UK that represents and promotes what his country's monarchy is trying do, it never detracts from the fact that all of them are very human just like the rest of us are. As the people within the monarchy become more and more "real" to us as human beings, it also enhances and reinforces the relevance of the monarchy in the 21st century.

Even Mahatma Ghandhi had a sense of humor about things. He said "I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers."
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #6076  
Old 05-30-2017, 01:29 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
The line only exists in people's heads...there is no real difference between 'royals' and the rest of us.

In reality there is no line to blur. People know this...Harry marrying or not someone who isn't part of their culture makes no difference. The reason the BRF is tolerated and even celebrated is because of Tradition and folks generally like them to represent their country.


LaRae

I agree.
Monarchies are archaic; people dislike the thought that such a position is inherited rather than elected.

BUT (and it is a big but) people living in monarchies are fond of their own royal families.
And even when they are not, they still enjoy the pageantry.

No celebrity ceremony can possibly equal a royal wedding.
What inauguration could compare with a coronation?
And how could a formal dinner at Downing Street match a state banquet at Buckingham Palace?

That is the reason these institutions continue to flourish.
  #6077  
Old 05-30-2017, 01:33 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
h.

But this might be hard to swallow if it happens. The British press and the aristocracy can be brutal. Harry may or may not care at all.

I doubt the "aristocracy" cares about Harry's future wife and most of the British aristocracy are pretty decadent themselves anyway. The only people whose opinion actually matters in this case are the Queen and her ministers, since the latter, as I have been emphasizing on this thread, are supposed to formally advise the Queen on consent to royal marriages under the Succession to the Crown Act, and the Queen, as a constitutional monarch, is bound to follow their advice. As I have also argued though, I don't think Harry and his offspring are important enough to merit an active interest of the British government on whom he marries.

You do have a point, however, that the modern monarchy requires popular support and Meghan would therefore have to be acceptable to the British public. In the past, marriages between British royals and foreign princesses were pretty common, but nowadays I don't know how the public would react to Harry marrying an American who, in addition to being an outsider, is also from a completely different background compared to other recent and past royal brides. I believe Meghan has the potential to become a popular royal, but that will largely depend on how she handles herself once the engagement is announced and after that.
  #6078  
Old 05-30-2017, 01:47 PM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,918
Maybe they will just take a poll of their British subjects.

Let's face it folks, Prince Harry will do as he pleases. And from all evidence and reported leaked info from royal sources, the immediate royals closest to Harry are okay with accepting the beautiful and accomplished lady he is dating into their family, with open arms. If that wasn't the case, we'd certainly know about it by this point.

They are all apparently delighted to see Prince Harry so happy, fulfilled and purposeful about the direction his life is taking.

Personally, I wish there were more cat lovers amongst the royals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
... Regarding the Sandringham Estate and the housing stock therein, their website states: [NO CATS ALLOWED] I can't help noticing the anti-feline prejudice.
Buggers, that's awful! I suppose it's because of the shedding of hair, their propensity to claw furniture, and sometimes to pee outside of their litter boxes... But dogs can be just as much or more trouble. Apparently the royals are not cat lovers. Likely cats roam outside the home, at least outside many English countryside homes I suppose.
  #6079  
Old 05-30-2017, 01:55 PM
hel hel is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kitchener, Canada
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Buggers, that's awful! I suppose it's because of the shedding of hair, their propensity to claw furniture, and sometimes to pee outside of their litter boxes... But dogs can be just as much or more trouble. Apparently the royals are not cat lovers. Likely cats roam outside the home, at least outside many English countryside homes I suppose.
More likely that cats kill 55 million birds in the UK every year, and we know that the Royals prefer to kill the estate birds themselves.
  #6080  
Old 05-30-2017, 02:01 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Maybe they will just take a poll of their British subjects.

Let's face it folks, Prince Harry will do as he pleases. And from all evidence and reported leaked info from royal sources, the immediate royals closest to Harry are okay with accepting the beautiful and accomplished lady he is dating into their family, with open arms. If that wasn't the case, we'd certainly know about it by this point.

They are all apparently delighted to see Prince Harry so happy, fulfilled and purposeful about the direction his life is taking.

Personally, I wish there were more cat lovers amongst the royals.


Buggers, that's awful! I suppose it's because of the shedding of hair, their propensity to claw furniture, and sometimes to pee outside of their litter boxes... But dogs can be just as much or more trouble. Apparently the royals are not cat lovers. Likely cats roam outside the home, at least outside many English countryside homes I suppose.
Looking at pictures and videos from today's events Harry seems so happy and content and passionate he practically glows, whatever he is doing or whoever is making him happy I hope it continues.
Save
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia baptism biography birth britain britannia british british royal family buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries crown jewels customs daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex elizabeth ii family life gemstones george vi gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! henry viii hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume history jack brooksbank japan jewellery kensington palace king edward vii książ castle lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchy mountbatten names nara period plantinum jubilee politics portugal prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess eugenie queen consort queen louise solomon j solomon spanish royal family speech st edward sussex taiwan thai royal family united states wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×