The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:33 AM
Nobility

It won't be next year or long in the future. These two want children! And they are in their 30's people. I predict an engagement this year.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think one major thing that keeps cropping up while discussing Harry and Meghan's relationship is that we tend to see each person through our own personal filters. If we don't like an aspect of a person, then Harry shouldn't either or she's not suitable.

Meghan doesn't need to be exceptional. Meghan doesn't need to have an extensive resume of employment and career recommendations. Meghan doesn't need to have an aristocratic bloodline. Meghan doesn't need to be an airhead. What matters is what Meghan means to Harry and what Harry means to Meghan. That is all that matters in the long run. We're just outsiders looking in and its not our place to put "labels" on people we don't know.

We need to look at this couple more objectively than subjectively as if we were true journalists reporting on the facts of things and not being editorial in taking apart a person's character.

A prime example is our personal opinions of when this couple is going to be engaged. We can't possibly know. We can however point out the signs that may lead to it that we've seen.

Just remember that both Harry and Meghan are human beings that we don't know and probably don't have a snowball's chance in Hades of ever getting to really know.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Majesty

I think Meghan is one of the most ill suited royal girlfriends in a long time. If they do get married, she's really going to struggle to be accepted into The Firm and British society in general.

It's Harry's choice obviously, but I think 'Media Meghan' is in for a rude awakening when the time comes.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't guess I understand how Meghan is any more ill-suited than the rest of them.

LaRae
Old 05-14-2017, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I’ve deleted the discussion about which member of the BRF has a proper job and whether Meghan (or any other royal partner) should a have a career. This thread is about Prince Harry and his relationships, if you wish to discuss whether Harry's wife could continue working, do it here. Any additional off-topic posts will be deleted.

On another note, yesterday I posted two moderator notes which were ignored and resulted in the thread being closed. Please remember to follow mod warnings. Thank you.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I think Meghan is one of the most ill suited royal girlfriends in a long time. If they do get married, she's really going to struggle to be accepted into The Firm and British society in general.

It's Harry's choice obviously, but I think 'Media Meghan' is in for a rude awakening when the time comes.
To be honest, I don't see it presenting a problem at all. Sure, some aspects of high British society may get all in a dither and get out their smelling salts and clutch their pearls but its going to be their loss if they cannot accept Harry's bride (whomever she should be).

As far as the Firm, I see absolutely no reason why they wouldn't see Meghan as anything but a huge asset. I don't believe any of the royal family has their noses up in the air or look down on anybody. In a world today where the BRF is working more as a team and reaching every corner of British society and even beyond with global campaigns, Meghan joining them as partner with Harry would be seen as an asset to the Firm.

Of course that's just my opinion and reflects how I view the BRF as a whole from what I've seen them do and strive to achieve.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I think that's silly and baseless. She's got experience relevant to what she would be doing for the rest of her life: public speaking, humanitarian work, dressing to be in the public eye, she's even got the preparation to write beautiful notes and letters, which the royals do regularly. Her humanitarian work would be her greatest asset in the job of royal spouse, and she seems to have a real passion for it.

I tend to think it would be quite a successful match and I hope a marriage happens
Old 05-14-2017, 09:16 PM
Nobility

I agree with you. If Harry and Meghan marry, I see her as being a great asset to the BRF. Harry was born into the BRF, he knows how they operate behind the scenes so I trust his judgment. IMO, Harry does great work and people who are respectful of that will welcome his choice of who makes him happy in his personal and public life.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

That says more about The Firm than Meghan, if I'd think it to be true. But I'm struggling to see how she's ill suited. And I'm struggling to what the rude awakening is going to be.

Imo the whole BRF is big on media and PR, 'Media Meghan' has even that experience in the bag.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
That says more about The Firm than Meghan, if I'd think it to be true. But I'm struggling to see how she's ill suited. And I'm struggling to what the rude awakening is going to be.

Imo the whole BRF is big on media and PR, 'Media Meghan' has even that experience in the bag.
I agree. I look forward to the answer to those two questions: how is Meghan ill-suited? What is the rude awakening going to be?
Old 05-15-2017, 01:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I agree. I look forward to the answer to those two questions: how is Meghan ill-suited? What is the rude awakening going to be?
She'll find out that all the senior royals get a good ol' fashion spanking every year in the Buckingham Palace basement.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-15-2017, 02:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Ooooooh... I'd forgotten about that. Brings to mind that in the past, them spankings were spared the royal children by the loyal whipping boys always on hand.

Shhhhh.... don't tell Meghan. She needs to face that initiation into the BRF for herself.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Why "Media Meghan"? Why is it necessary to be snarky about someone we know nothing about and call them nasty childish names when there is no evidence to support such an appellation.

She deals with the media in the course of her job and doesn't have a toxic relationship with them. I'd chance a guess that she hasn't really given them much of a thought. Should the relationship proceed, then we will see what we will see? Regardless, childish name calling smacks of envy and inverted snobbery.

Well, Mark Todd was the first "ill-suited boyfriend" followed by Sarah as the first, "ill-suited girlfriend", then came Sophie and Catherine. None of them was titled and Sophie was the only one with an ordinary education and a career that involved an actual paycheck. Catherine, working for the family firm, somewhat unfairly, got stuck with the "Waity Katy" appellation by a media that doesn't recognise working for your family's firm.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:21 AM
Majesty

Quite right Marge. I agree with you!

By the way, the Express asked the Westminster Abbey authorities about Harry marrying a divorcee and about a possible interfaith marriage there, and a spokesperson said that both were OK.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'CAN marry at Westminster Abbey' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Old 05-15-2017, 04:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Why "Media Meghan"? Why is it necessary to be snarky about someone we know nothing about and call them nasty childish names when there is no evidence to support such an appellation.

She deals with the media in the course of her job and doesn't have a toxic relationship with them. I'd chance a guess that she hasn't really given them much of a thought. Should the relationship proceed, then we will see what we will see? Regardless, childish name calling smacks of envy and inverted snobbery.

Well, Mark Todd was the first "ill-suited boyfriend" followed by Sarah as the first, "ill-suited girlfriend", then came Sophie and Catherine. None of them was titled and Sophie was the only one with an ordinary education and a career that involved an actual paycheck. Catherine, working for the family firm, somewhat unfairly, got stuck with the "Waity Katy" appellation by a media that doesn't recognise working for your family's firm.
I do think that any royal should just be an adult and have a straightforward relationship with the press instead of an immature cloak/dagger approach or in fact, resentfulness punctuated with lawsuits.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:28 AM
Majesty

Well, the only lawsuit that has been going on at the moment has been between the Cambridges and French media/paps. Harry isn't suing anyone as far as is known, and Maghan is neither Royal nor launching lawsuits.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:52 AM
Serene Highness

Exactly; she's not suing the media for taking an interest in covering her.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:35 AM
Majesty

Well, she's an actress at the moment not a Royal. The time to become paranoid about the Press, if you will, is when you're a Royal and the tabloids are constantly speculating about your life while you want privacy.

Are you saying that just because Meghan is an actress she automatically courts and indeed promotes all the publicity she gets, all the wretched tabloid fodder spewed out every day, because that certainly doesn't appear to be the case to me.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
I do think that any royal should just be an adult and have a straightforward relationship with the press instead of an immature cloak/dagger approach or in fact, resentfulness punctuated with lawsuits.
There are very few actual journalists covering the British Royal family. There are many tabloid press of varying degrees of respectability and then the paparazzi. Sometimes the drive for clicks or sales drive some of the more respectable press-into joining the gutter press. Respect is a two way street.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:40 AM
Courtier

Compared to what's usually considered part of the job for an actress, Meghan seems to have always taken a fairly low-key approach to courting the media. She's done her share of red carpet appearances over the years, but not with the "I must be photographed at all the things!" approach of many mid-level actresses. And all of that has been tamped down pretty tightly since getting involved with Harry. She did have that very brief period of two or three cutesy coded Instagram posts, but she seems to have learned very quickly just how much the public can and will read into things and stopped those all together.

Closed Thread