The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Guys, she's been slowly untangling herself from different business commitments- her blog, her association with fashion brands. She's backed off of social media, and she's on a show with an ensemble cast going into its 7th season. It's really not a giant stretch to think that *if* the relationship is seriously headed towards marriage, a decision may be made to negotiate an earlier exit from the show than she would have planned were it not for her high-profile relationship that is incompatible with remaining as a working actress. That wouldn't say anything bad about either of their desire or ability to keep commitments- I'd actually take it as a sign of very serious commitment.

We'll see in time.
I agree with this. Now, do I think she'll be leaving Suits before the end of this season? No. But if that were to happen, I don't think it tells us anything except that she is ready to prioritize the next phase of her life. As I've said before, I don't think she would make such a decision merely in hopes of getting a ring. At that point, we can be sure that an engagement announcement is imminent.

Of course, she doesn't *have* to leave her job nor should she feel pressure to conform to what the BRF or royals fans find suitable. Ultimately, it's her decision, her life and she should do whatever she believes is best for her.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Please note that posts relating to Harry's position when Charles becomes king have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...les-16252.html thread.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Of course, she doesn't *have* to leave her job nor should she feel pressure to conform to what the BRF or royals fans find suitable. Ultimately, it's her decision, her life and she should do whatever she believes is best for her.
What needs to be remembered too, I think, is that should a marriage happen between Harry and Meghan, it needs to be an equal partnership and that means taking into consideration both partners. The days are long gone when a woman was the "little woman" and the man was head of the household.

The British, even in their ways of doing things always stuck by the norm of not allowing morganatic marriage to occur. Now, in the 21st century, perhaps that consideration should be applied to all aspects of marriage and not just titles and possessions and inheritance.

I think its best if we relegate the "royal" part of Harry's background to being an exterior factor when looking at his present relationship. Of course, that factor is something that has to be considered and will have an effect on any marriage he makes but it comes secondary to if these two people believe they want to commit to a marriage partnership and in reality, its the relationship between these two people that matter most.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It's a realistic expectation when they are engaged yes.

But before they are engaged? For what purpose? She can't attend family events. She can't accompany him on tours or official duties. If he is gone for days or even weeks on tours or other events, she does what, watch tv and wait?

Yes it is archaic. The 'if she is supposed to love him she should be willing to give it all up'. If Harry was Princess Henrietta, would we say the same thing?
If the princess in question happened to be the heiress to the throne, then I would say 'yes', see the examples of Daniel in Sweden, or Philip, Henrik and Claus in previous generations.

Otherwise, the answer would probably be 'no'. Still, I suppose the Swedish Royal Court for example expected Chris to give up his career after marrying Madeleine and it came a little bit as a surprise when he did not and declined a title and Swedish nationality.

Quote:
What needs to be remembered too, I think, is that should a marriage happen between Harry and Meghan, it needs to be an equal partnership and that means taking into consideration both partners. The days are long gone when a woman was the "little woman" and the man was head of the household.
Nevertheless, as senior members of the British Royal Family, Harry and his wife have a public role which they are expected to play. That is part of the "social contract" that exists between the Royal Family and the country and which justifies keeping the monarchy. Fulfilling those obligations takes precedence over Meghan's personal goals. For example, Meghan will have to give up acting and will have to live permanently in the UK. That is probably not negotiable and, in this sense, it is not an equal partnership.

Going back to the discussion with Countessmeout above, the main reason why the same standard did not historically apply to husbands of princesses was that daughters of monarchs were actually not expected to be working members of the Royal Family after they got married. In fact, most of the time, they were expected to marry into other dynastic families and usually join their husband's family / court.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Nevertheless, as senior members of the British Royal Family, Harry and his wife have a public role which they are expected to play. That is part of the "social contract" that exists between the Royal Family and the country and which justifies keeping the monarchy. Fulfilling those obligations takes precedence over Meghan's personal goals. For example, Meghan will have to give up acting and will have to live permanently in the UK. That is probably not negotiable and, in this sense, it is not an equal partnership.
Still, it would be an equal marriage and partnership should Meghan decide that Harry's royal life is worth giving up her previous profession. It would be her choice in the matter. How strong their relationship is needs to be first and foremost in their minds. Once the decision is made and if it is to go forward into a marriage, it would still remain being an equal partnership with Harry and Meghan working together for the "Firm". All marriages are a partnership with a whole lot of give and take and compromising.

Sometimes personal goals don't matter so much when you find a partner to work with in a different venture together.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:10 AM
Serene Highness

I'm almost 100% sure, that Meghan is very aware, that she has to quit acting and become a full time royal, including moving to UK, if she and Harry get married. I'm just not in agreement, that she should quit her and move to UK now, when they're not even engaged.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

I really don't think there are many if any folks here who think she should do anything prior to an engagement when it comes to moving or quitting her job.

LaRae
Old 04-29-2017, 05:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I really don't think there are many if any folks here who think she should do anything prior to an engagement when it comes to moving or quitting her job.

LaRae
Meghan will probably do the whole season. She makes a **** load of money every episode I understand, 50-75K an episode?
Old 04-29-2017, 06:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Oh I have no idea...I've never paid any attention to the show or what she makes etc.

LaRae
Old 04-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Oh I have no idea...I've never paid any attention to the show or what she makes etc.

LaRae
I don't watch "Suits" and I don't want to. Just not my thing.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Suits normally wasn't something I would watch and I've found myself loving it- it's fun and funny and there are so many good characters. (Louis Litt is one I find weirdly endearing)

It's turned me into a big fan of Meghan. If they do end up marrying, it will make that wedding extra fun to watch for me.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Meghan will probably do the whole season. She makes a **** load of money every episode I understand, 50-75K an episode?
Seriously? Is that show that popular? If she gets that much I wonder what the GoT actors get.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Seriously? Is that show that popular? If she gets that much I wonder what the GoT actors get.
Going OT, but for the 7th season, 5 of GOT leads are going to get up to
£2 million per episode. Insane amount. So 50-75k per episode on a show on its 7th season is not at all uncommon.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

From what I read, she makes between 44-50,000 an episode. The seasons have 16 episodes so she makes between 700-800,000 a season.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Serene Highness

I think Meghan is untangling herself from her current life and lifestyle. And she appears to be a strong enough woman that she knows what she is doing. I have felt that there would be an engagement announcement later this year with a wedding in spring of 2017. This weekend I read somewhere (don't remember where) a very valid opinion that with the Invictus Games being in Toronto this Sept (23-30) - it would make sense that Harry would want Meghan officially on his arm; its her home turf. I am not familiar with Suits and its airing or shooting season - but I do expect an engagement announcement in August or before the Invictus Games.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think Meghan would have to be engaged to Harry in order to attend the Invictus Games with him. It is mostly events that are attended by the British Royal Family en masse such as Ascot, Trooping the Color, family weddings and funerals and holidays that she'd only be able to attend as a fiance'.

Harry would be the only one that would be recognized as he is the patron of the Games but I don't see any reason why Meghan couldn't attend with him.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't think Meghan would have to be engaged to Harry in order to attend the Invictus Games with him. It is mostly events that are attended by the British Royal Family en masse such as Ascot, Trooping the Color, family weddings and funerals and holidays that she'd only be able to attend as a fiance'.

Harry would be the only one that would be recognized as he is the patron of the Games but I don't see any reason why Meghan couldn't attend with him.
She attend Ascot with him at anytime though. She can also attend family weddings as his guest.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-01-2017, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I think Meghan is untangling herself from her current life and lifestyle. And she appears to be a strong enough woman that she knows what she is doing. I have felt that there would be an engagement announcement later this year with a wedding in spring of 2017. This weekend I read somewhere (don't remember where) a very valid opinion that with the Invictus Games being in Toronto this Sept (23-30) - it would make sense that Harry would want Meghan officially on his arm; its her home turf. I am not familiar with Suits and its airing or shooting season - but I do expect an engagement announcement in August or before the Invictus Games.
Sorry but you sound like all the others who think Harry will get engaged to every girl he is with. No tangible evidence, just he has a girlfriend so an engagement is on its way.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:22 PM
Serene Highness

^^^ a bit dismissive and rude - but whatever. I feel I adequately prefaced my opinion as just that - 'I think...', 'I have felt...', 'I do expect...'. The point of my post was to introduce the Invictus Games in Toronto as something relevant on Harry's calendar that could influence timing and could be part of the discussion.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Serene Highness

It might be possible; she has been to quite a few formal events and frankly I do believe that she is in the running.

Closed Thread