The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #5021  
Old 04-15-2017, 10:14 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
She'll be marrying into a family and country with a class system. Americans don't get a pass.

Her background and family will matter in 'polite' social circles.
But even before Harry Meghan like most Americans are able to network and manage multiple classes and social circles. The lines between social classes are not as pronounced as they are in England which is maybe why Meghan seems to associate with many classes with ease. She associates with Mulroneys, Trudeaus.......to Americans it really is not that big of a deal....We are taught networking as a social and professional skill before graduating.......which allows us to negotiate different classes with confidence.

We know those polite social circles ARE NOT THAT polite.
__________________

  #5022  
Old 04-15-2017, 10:25 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Americans have been marrying into the British upper classes for well over 100 years ...this is nothing new (assuming they marry).
Frances Work comes to mind. Harry's great-great-grandmother.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #5023  
Old 04-15-2017, 10:40 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
She'll be marrying into a family and country with a class system. Americans don't get a pass.

Her background and family will matter in 'polite' social circles.
I don't understand what this means. Saying 'polite' social circles....'polite' like that, and not getting a pass. This is all code to me. Could someone translate for me? What is the issue?
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #5024  
Old 04-15-2017, 10:41 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Frances Work comes to mind. Harry's great-great-grandmother.
Lady Churchill (more than one American), Duchess of Manchester, Lady Cunard, Duchess of Roxburghe, Countess of Yarmouth, Countess of Granard, Marchioness of Kedleston, the infamous Viscountess Furness (Thelma)....

There's quite a few more.


LaRae
  #5025  
Old 04-15-2017, 11:38 PM
royaldreams's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 29
It is extremely low class to even bring up the topic of Meghan's ancestral relatives from as late as the 1850s in America, whom could have been slaves. What does that have to do with a woman who was born in 1982?

Nothing!

Is this how desperate people have become in trying to diminish this woman, her accomplishments, her existence? She'll be a Duchess in due time, and there's nothing, nothing you can say, or exaggerate that will change that. Nothing. She will be a member of the British Royal Family, and I'm so proud of her!
  #5026  
Old 04-15-2017, 11:42 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Meghan has ended all affiliation with her very successful Reitman's modeling/clothing range designs.

Meghan Markle quits her Reitmans ambassador role | Daily Mail Online
Very interesting. She has now closed down two very lucrative sources of income in a short time span. For no really apparent reason other than Imo a very near future engagement. The Tig closing could've been tied to all the negative tabloid press it created out of every comma and exclamation point, but Reitman contract created no such things. I'm putting my bets on this being her last season on Suits.

Imo this also shuts down all the talk about how this relationship benefits Meghan career, money and benefit wise. She's literally closing all channels it might have benefited her in.

(I'm going to be bold, and suggest, that they already might be privately engaged for her to do all this legwork. I mean that's BIG money she's shutting down, and I doubt she'd do this if she didn't feel extremely sure and secure in this relationship and its future.)
  #5027  
Old 04-15-2017, 11:51 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Westfield, New Jersey, United States
Posts: 190
Harry's wedding will be similar to his aunt's in 1973

Military style wedding at Westminster-in November. Prince Harry will most likely be in military uniform. I can see him wearing a red uniform, an Army uniform. He won't be wearing a Navy uniform.

He could have a lavish, state wedding at St. Paul's like his dad in 1981. Remember, Harry is more popular than William worldwide. Harry has charisma, street smarts, and more attention than The Duke of Cambridge.

He'll want this wedding to be memorable, I see a state wedding. It's what Britain needs. It's what the world needs. Joy and Happiness.

Prince and Princess Henry will name their son, David, after himself and the country of Wales. Their son should be styled a HRH, Prince David of Wales.
  #5028  
Old 04-15-2017, 11:54 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
(I'm going to be bold, and suggest, that they already might be privately engaged for her to do all this legwork. I mean that's BIG money she's shutting down, and I doubt she'd do this if she didn't feel extremely sure and secure in this relationship and its future.)
This is very much a possibility. If these two know where their relationship is headed, they could already have made the commitment to each other that they will marry. They're not going to publicly announce anything though until things behind the scene have already been worked out and planned. Not only Meghan's disassociation with her own various interests and her acting contract which she'll finish out but also, as the wedding is usually within a pretty short time period after the announcement of the engagement, a lot of the behind the scenes planning will already have been worked out.

Nothing happens overnight with the BRF and nothing is done without careful planning for anything that might arise. Things run like clockwork because every consideration is taken beforehand.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #5029  
Old 04-15-2017, 11:57 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,212
I doubt it would be in November as the BRF will be celebrating the Queen and Philip's 70th wedding anniversary in November at the Abbey.

Popularity is irrelevant to the size of the wedding. It is place in the line of succession. There is no way that the 5th in line to the throne can have a grander wedding than the 2nd in line so it won't be grander than William's and thus it won't be a State Wedding. The last wedding that was a State Occasion was Charles and Diana's and there is no way that their second son is going to have what their elder one didn't.

What the rest of the world wants is irrelevant. It is what the British want and are prepared to pay for.

William is the heir and that is what makes his wedding the standard above which neither his brother or his cousins can go and the Queen and Charles won't allow that. They know the protocol.

I can easily see a wedding at St George's next year some time but I am not sold on this relationship as it is in short bursts here and there rather than a constant one. Having tried a long-distance relationship on two occasions I know this much - until one of them moves permanently to the other's country to see if they really want to make it work rather than just spending short periods of time together, effectively in holiday mode all the time, they aren't going anywhere.

Harry's relationships have all been intense with rumours of engagements etc going on for years at occasions before failing and I don't see this as being any different - yet.
  #5030  
Old 04-16-2017, 12:01 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Westfield, New Jersey, United States
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I doubt it would be in November as the BRF will be celebrating the Queen and Philip's 70th wedding anniversary in November at the Abbey.

Popularity is irrelevant to the size of the wedding. It is place in the line of succession. There is no way that the 5th in line to the throne can have a grander wedding than the 2nd in line so it won't be grander than William's and thus it won't be a State Wedding. The last wedding that was a State Occasion was Charles and Diana's and there is no way that their second son is going to have what their eldest one didn't.

What the rest of the world wants is irrelevant. It is what the British want and are prepared to pay for.

William is the heir and that is what makes his wedding the standard above which neither his brother or his cousins can go and the Queen and Charles won't allow that. They know the protocol.

I can easily see a wedding at St George's next year some time but I am not sold on this relationship as it is in short bursts here and there rather than a constant one. Having tried a long-distance relationship on two occasions I know this much - until one of them moves permanently to the other's country to see if they really want to make it work rather than just spending short periods of time together, effectively in holiday mode all the time, they aren't going anywhere.

Harry's relationships have all been intense with rumours of engagements etc going on for years at occasions before failing and I don't see this as being any different - yet.

Then it is going to be at Westminster. In October. George's wedding will be huge for the world when he gets older. He's already a handsome prince. You don't think girls will go nuts over George, just like they are on his uncle?
  #5031  
Old 04-16-2017, 12:07 AM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,687
Just a quick reminder, there is no need to continually state the same opinion over and over again just for the sake of it, without adding anything more to the discussion.

Repetitive comments will be removed by the moderating team.
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
  #5032  
Old 04-16-2017, 12:08 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Very interesting. She has now closed down two very lucrative sources of income in a short time span. For no really apparent reason other than Imo a very near future engagement. The Tig closing could've been tied to all the negative tabloid press it created out of every comma and exclamation point, but Reitman contract created no such things. I'm putting my bets on this being her last season on Suits.

Imo this also shuts down all the talk about how this relationship benefits Meghan career, money and benefit wise. She's literally closing all channels it might have benefited her in.

(I'm going to be bold, and suggest, that they already might be privately engaged for her to do all this legwork. I mean that's BIG money she's shutting down, and I doubt she'd do this if she didn't feel extremely sure and secure in this relationship and its future.)
Reitmans is kind of a big deal. It is a form of income and for her to sever her contract it seems she is surely retreating from public life.
  #5033  
Old 04-16-2017, 12:50 AM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,918
Meghan Markle is class, kindness, style, generosity and inspiration personified. She was raised by both of her parents to embrace who she is and to embrace life, and also to create her own identity and not allow others to label her. She's a very together person.

I think in part Meghan gets her caring heart and kindness from her mother (who is a social worker and a yoga instructor). From her father, Meghan appears to have gained her interest in the acting profession. Meghan has mentioned being nurtured, supported and encouraged by both of her parents. Despite the fact that her parents divorced when she was very young, they remained on the same page about giving their daughter the best of everything, which breeds confidence and a sense of purpose. Meghan has got loads of both.

Meghan indicates that her parents share a love of antiques and that they would join together in taking her on vacations when she was growing up. So, apparently Meghan did not experience much angst as a child of divorce, unlike Diana, Princess of Wales, and indeed Princes Harry and William too. So kudos to Meghan's parents in that and in many other respects.

To the poster who mentioned Meghan's father's ancestry, reportedly he's Dutch-Irish. Her mother's white ancestors may hail from England and/or Scotland, possibly Ireland. I'm sure we will find out in more detail once an engagement is announced.

As far as Meghan having ancestors who were slaves, if we go back far enough, we're likely to find that slavery and/or indentured servitude existed in quite a few families' ancestral backgrounds throughout the history of mankind. And we know how hard slaves worked and how much they had to overcome just to survive; and many also fought for and won their freedom before the Emancipation Proclamation. It also pays to remember that all of the labels and divisions we bandy about casually are man-made separations, which have no bearing on the reality of human evolution. Interestingly, the wife of King George III (Sophie Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz) is said to have had African ancestry on her mother's side via Portuguese ancestors -- unsurprising since the Moors ruled Spain, Portugal and other parts of Europe in ancient times.

Back to Meghan. There's not a 'vulgar' bone in her body. So we should probably put that to rest and focus on Meghan and Harry. With the revelation that Meghan declined to renew her contract with Reitmans last December, it seems to me that there is a lot going on behind-the-scenes with preparations for an engagement and an eventual marriage. And, as other posters have suggested, Meghan & Harry appear to have already made a very serious commitment to each other privately.

I can't see any scenario where Meghan would be abruptly and completely giving up lucrative projects like her lifestyle blog and her contract with Reitmans if she and Harry were not planning on staying in their relationship for keeps. In other words, I'm betting Harry can hardly wait to put a ring on it!
  #5034  
Old 04-16-2017, 01:10 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This is very much a possibility. If these two know where their relationship is headed, they could already have made the commitment to each other that they will marry. They're not going to publicly announce anything though until things behind the scene have already been worked out and planned. Not only Meghan's disassociation with her own various interests and her acting contract which she'll finish out but also, as the wedding is usually within a pretty short time period after the announcement of the engagement, a lot of the behind the scenes planning will already have been worked out.

Nothing happens overnight with the BRF and nothing is done without careful planning for anything that might arise. Things run like clockwork because every consideration is taken beforehand.
I have not been a big royal follower before Meghan and Harry, so I'm quite surprised by all the bts work there is going on. Harry's statement months ago gave a little glimpse of it, and the wedding paparazzi issues did too. And that's just dealing with the negative media aspects. To get to the 'publicly announcing engagement' level must take tons of time and work, that will never be seen by the public.
  #5035  
Old 04-16-2017, 01:26 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I doubt it would be in November as the BRF will be celebrating the Queen and Philip's 70th wedding anniversary in November at the Abbey.

Popularity is irrelevant to the size of the wedding. It is place in the line of succession. There is no way that the 5th in line to the throne can have a grander wedding than the 2nd in line so it won't be grander than William's and thus it won't be a State Wedding. The last wedding that was a State Occasion was Charles and Diana's and there is no way that their second son is going to have what their eldest one didn't.

What the rest of the world wants is irrelevant. It is what the British want and are prepared to pay for.

William is the heir and that is what makes his wedding the standard above which neither his brother or his cousins can go and the Queen and Charles won't allow that. They know the protocol.

I can easily see a wedding at St George's next year some time but I am not sold on this relationship as it is in short bursts here and there rather than a constant one. Having tried a long-distance relationship on two occasions I know this much - until one of them moves permanently to the other's country to see if they really want to make it work rather than just spending short periods of time together, effectively in holiday mode all the time, they aren't going anywhere.

Harry's relationships have all been intense with rumours of engagements etc going on for years at occasions before failing and I don't see this as being any different - yet.
Yes if she is closing down some of the "controversial" aspects of her public career, I can only hope it's because she's moving to London/UK for a few months to see if they can make it work (like W+K spent time in Wales etc) before getting formally engaged. I don't have anything against a wedding late this year or next but I also have experience of long distance relationships and always being in "honeymoon mode" when you see each other.

I could see Westminster Abbey, albeit with less fanfare, Andrew and Fergie had that (yes different times) I can also see a much lower key version at St Georges or hey if they want to go really wacky Cardiff or St. Davids.

If it happens, one thing is for sure, the US tabloid media will put the British tabloids to shame in how hysterical they go.
  #5036  
Old 04-16-2017, 01:30 AM
MichelleQ2's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This is very much a possibility. If these two know where their relationship is headed, they could already have made the commitment to each other that they will marry. They're not going to publicly announce anything though until things behind the scene have already been worked out and planned. Not only Meghan's disassociation with her own various interests and her acting contract which she'll finish out but also, as the wedding is usually within a pretty short time period after the announcement of the engagement, a lot of the behind the scenes planning will already have been worked out.

Nothing happens overnight with the BRF and nothing is done without careful planning for anything that might arise. Things run like clockwork because every consideration is taken beforehand.
I agree - I believe they have some sort of agreement; if not an actual engagement - but nevertheless I do think there have been made promises made. In addition to shutting down her blog and ceasing this biz relationship, one of the last statements on her blog about over planning killing magic. Sounds as though she was getting exposed to the realities of her soon to be new life
Meghan Markle hints that ‘overplanning kills magic’ | Daily Mail Online

I expect an engagement to be announced July or early August (around her birthday and when the family is on vacation). With a wedding scheduled for early 2018. However - there is a chance Harry may want to fast track this engagement; so as to make her a part of the family sooner than later over the holidays and in that case i would see May/June engagement and October wedding - with her first public appearances at Trooping, Ascot, Garter etc (its a stretch, but with Harry, you never know)
  #5037  
Old 04-16-2017, 01:32 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Meghan Markle is class, kindness, style, generosity and inspiration personified. She was raised by both of her parents to embrace who she is and to embrace life, and also to create her own identity and not allow others to label her. She's a very together person.

I think in part Meghan gets her caring heart and kindness from her mother (who is a social worker and a yoga instructor). From her father, Meghan appears to have gained her interest in the acting profession. Meghan has mentioned being nurtured, supported and encouraged by both of her parents. Despite the fact that her parents divorced when she was very young, they remained on the same page about giving their daughter the best of everything, which breeds confidence and a sense of purpose. Meghan has got loads of both.

Meghan indicates that her parents share a love of antiques and that they would join together in taking her on vacations when she was growing up. So, apparently Meghan did not experience much angst as a child of divorce, unlike Diana, Princess of Wales, and indeed Princes Harry and William too. So kudos to Meghan's parents in that and in many other respects.

To the poster who mentioned Meghan's father's ancestry. I read that it's Dutch-Irish. Her mother's white ancestors may hail from England and/or Scotland, possibly Ireland. I'm sure we will find out in more detail once an engagement is announced.

As far as Meghan having ancestors who were slaves, if we go back far enough, we're likely to find that slavery and/or indentured servitude existed in quite a few families throughout the history of mankind. And we know how hard slaves worked and how much they had to overcome just to survive. It also pays to remember that all of the labels and divisions we bandy about casually are man-made separations, which have no bearing on the reality of human evolution. Interestingly, the wife of King George III (Sophie Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz) is said to have had African ancestry on her mother's side via Portuguese ancestors -- unsurprising since the Moors ruled Spain, Portugal and other parts of Europe in ancient times.

Back to Meghan. There's not a 'vulgar' bone in her body. So we should probably put that to rest and focus on Meghan and Harry. With the revelation that Meghan declined to renew her contract with Reitmans last December, it seems to me that there is a lot going on behind-the-scenes with preparations for an engagement and an eventual marriage. And, as other posters have speculated, Meghan & Harry appear to have already made a very serious commitment to each other privately.

I can't see any scenario where Meghan would be abruptly and completely giving up lucrative projects like her lifestyle blog and her contract with Reitmans if she and Harry were not planning on staying in their relationship for keeps. In other words, I'm betting Harry can hardly wait to put a ring on it!
Beautifully summarized, MaiaMia.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #5038  
Old 04-16-2017, 02:10 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by royaldreams View Post
It is extremely low class to even bring up the topic of Meghan's ancestral relatives from as late as the 1850s in America, whom could have been slaves. What does that have to do with a woman who was born in 1982?

Nothing!

Is this how desperate people have become in trying to diminish this woman, her accomplishments, her existence? She'll be a Duchess in due time, and there's nothing, nothing you can say, or exaggerate that will change that. Nothing. She will be a member of the British Royal Family, and I'm so proud of her!
You're right when you say nothing as Meghan was born in 1981.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Yes if she is closing down some of the "controversial" aspects of her public career, I can only hope it's because she's moving to London/UK for a few months to see if they can make it work (like W+K spent time in Wales etc) before getting formally engaged. I don't have anything against a wedding late this year or next but I also have experience of long distance relationships and always being in "honeymoon mode" when you see each other.

I could see Westminster Abbey, albeit with less fanfare, Andrew and Fergie had that (yes different times) I can also see a much lower key version at St Georges or hey if they want to go really wacky Cardiff or St. Davids.

If it happens, one thing is for sure, the US tabloid media will put the British tabloids to shame in how hysterical they go.
I sure hope they would reside full-time in the same country together for longer than a few months, I think it takes longer than that to get out of "honeymoon mode" as you call it. Once she wraps up her filming at the end of the year, and she moves to the UK without looking for new acting jobs, then that's when the clock will really start. I do think she been making warm-up steps for a more serious commitment. I just think it's part of a long plan, instead of fast approaching engagement.

Her apparent willingness must come as a relief to Harry. Chelsy and Cressida both came off as only having a begrudging interest in royal life, in many ways doomed to fail, now he seems to have a chance to go the whole way. Providing she doesn't second guess her decision once she's immersed in the UK and Harry full-time.

As for the tabloids, don't underestimate the UK ones, look no further than the hacking trial.
  #5039  
Old 04-16-2017, 02:11 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,092
I don't get why making her own money is considered uncouth, since she's not an HRH and she doesn't have taxpayer funds keeping her in royal style. She has every right to make money if she can and she had every right to be married before she met Harry. No one should live the life of a nun in the event that a prince might come along and want to marry her. She doesn't owe anyone an explanation of how she lived her life before Harry came into it.
  #5040  
Old 04-16-2017, 03:25 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
Agree 100%, AristoCat.
__________________

__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia baby names biography birth britain britannia british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries coronation crown jewels daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii family life gemstones george vi gustaf vi adolf hello! henry viii hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume history hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan jewellery kensington palace king edward vii książ castle lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchy mountbatten names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess eugenie queen louise solomon j solomon spanish royal family speech sussex taiwan thai royal family united states wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×