Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he needs to figure it out soon..bc i imagine usa network want to continue the show and have her on...and if shes not engaged she really doesnt have a good reason to say no to another season...so there are alot of factors at play in this relationship

I think he needs to figure it out soon..bc i imagine usa network want to continue the show and have her on...and if shes not engaged she really doesnt have a good reason to say no to another season...so there are alot of factors at play in this relationship

I agree that by the end of this year it will either be make or break.

Also the decision is not all Harry's. Meghan also has a say in this! She might decide the royal life is not for her afterall or that her & Harry aren't really suited. They both need time to figure things out especially for Meghan because it is her that will be giving up the most.

Harry may not want to rush into marriage, but the consensus opinion on this forum seems to be that Meghan is in a hurry to marry and have children and that she may not want to wait forever herself. I wonder why we should believe that.

The general opinion on this forum tends to be that all unmarried women are rushing to become married and that any relationship that does not involve an engagement must be ring-less because the man isn't ready for it/really committed.

Just look at the threads about literally every single European royal woman...

I agree that by the end of this year it will either be make or break.

Also the decision is not all Harry's. Meghan also has a say in this! She might decide the royal life is not for her afterall or that her & Harry aren't really suited. They both need time to figure things out especially for Meghan because it is her that will be giving up the most.

Exactly, Queen E! Meghan has already sacrificed a lot! I can't imagine what her life must be like! She's constantly taking daily beatings, from horrible tabloids and social media trolls.

Exactly, Queen E! Meghan has already sacrificed a lot! I can't imagine what her life must be like! She's constantly taking daily beatings, from horrible tabloids and social media trolls.

In her career visibility is highly important. Not just a pap shot but actually talking and communicating and building a fan base is very important. IMHO the stupid daily mail articles do not count unless you want to be a reality star. Before Harry she was active on social media, politically and regarding issues, she had VOICE and social media visibility. She has made sacrifices career wise because her image is no longer her own and she cannot speak using her own authentic voice.

She can speak...she CHOOSES to not speak.

LaRae

As in per above posts, life as a 'Royal' is very, very different from a normally lived life, especially regarding the tabloid press. :sad: It's one thing to court the press as an aspiring actress, looking for good press and good reviews. It's quite another to be the object of venomous comment for no other reason than that one is dating a particular man. That's extreme.

It's why someone like Cressida was so 'perfect', she knows nothing outside of a cosseted existence, but even she had trouble with the ridicule and hectoring. At least she was part of the culture, though, and it was not wholly alien to her. Someone like Meghan is very much different. She has been a free woman, and may already be feeling the pinch of all she has had to curtail because of this relationship. Imagine if she is saying as much to Harry. He won't be happy. It's going to be hard on him if she has to say no. :sad:

What specifically do you mean by societal expectations? Are you talking about the public life required or the vetting process or?

I am referring to the expectations that a member of the BRF is somehow de-balled from ever having opinions, or a genuine life of significant activism, because it might 'offend', or (horrors) be political. This is actually something that is quite new, I have come to discover. I've been doing some sleuthing and am trying to figure out which thread upon which to put my 'findings'. :cool:

It's this slave-like straight-jacket that has to change. No good will come of maintaining it. Especially for those signed as 'royal'.

If they are still a couple by the end of the year that will be a pretty good indicator where it's headed. LaRae

I'd disagree. :cool: They need a good 3 years to be close to any decision. Look at other European royals. It takes years to establish certainty. Why should Harry be any different?

Royal friends and officials are rarely willing to be quoted on anything "serious". but I just wish this story would go away.. I don't think he is going to marry her but I wishs that there was a resolution...

How in the world will Harry ever marry if he has to meet, date and get engaged within a year? :ermm: Won't happen, or shouldn't. I'm not saying it doesn't happen with lots of people (as evidenced by many people's posts on this site) but sharing a normal, anonymous life is one thing; it's quite another for a woman to blend into a 'royal' life when not even of the culture. Even Marie Antoinette had trouble meshing with the French way. Royalty is an arcane institution and Meghan is pretty forward thinking. It's a huge disconnect to think that she could seamlessly morph into a Kate-like presence beside Harry. That's why I say that for this marriage to be even remotely possible (imo) a great deal would have to shift (maybe Harry and Meghan living in the US, for example, half the time, and allowing Meghan to work).

How so? Meghan was already a public figure before she met Harry. Once the relationship became public she has cut down severely on her social media presence, closed down her blog, is rarely seen in public & hasn't once spoken publicly about it. She has taken a lot of hits from the media, estranged family members & trolls, but she has handled it all with class & grace.

You've answered your question: Meghan has been willing to undergo all you have said by allowing herself to become publicly connected to Harry as his girlfriend.

I think he needs to figure it out soon..bc i imagine usa network want to continue the show and have her on...and if shes not engaged she really doesnt have a good reason to say no to another season...so there are alot of factors at play in this relationship.

Well, here we are at the crux. :cool: Meghan should be able to work an 8th season on her show, and she should be able to work whenever she wants, in fact not give up her career. Plus, her politics is no one's business but her own (and Harry's because he would be looking at her across the breakfast table). These are the societal, cultural aspects that need to change if Harry is to be able to marry an intelligent, modern woman. British society, or British conventions, regarding royal spouses has to open up, shift, re-align.

I am still reeling from a poster's comment some time back that if Meghan becomes Harry's wife she will 'have to learn to shut up.' Good lord! :sad:

Last edited:
:previous:

I see no reason for British way of life or cultural issues have to change because Harry might want to marry an American actress.

The solution is for Harry to pack up. And move to US.

Lady Nimue ...It's really no different than a politicians wife or other person in a certain type of job where you have to curtail your public statements for various reason. People do this in various jobs. I'm not sure why it's so surprising that the wife (or husband) of a senior royal would also have to be careful about public speech.

As far as when they get married, if they get that far, none of us really know the time frame for that...however when I say if they are together end of the year we know where it is headed just seems logical to me...they will be headed to the 2 year mark..you don't stay in a relationship that long unless you know where it's going and you are willing to go there.

LaRae

I see no reason for British way of life or cultural issues have to change because Harry might want to marry an American actress.

Change in the sense of not subjecting said spouse to scathing public comment because of all the 'transgressions'. :cool:

The solution is for Harry to pack up. And move to US.

Exactly so. :flowers: Maybe. Or some where else other than the UK. Sad but true.

Lady Nimue ...It's really no different than a politicians wife or other person in a certain type of job where you have to curtail your public statements for various reason. People do this in various jobs. I'm not sure why it's so surprising that the wife (or husband) of a senior royal would also have to be careful about public speech.

Because it's not always been like that. This is a 'new' thing. Kinda. I must find the right thread to post. It's about Charles and his (up-to-now) public speeches with his views. There's a thread for that, I know, but I'm not pulling it up. Any ideas?

As far as when they get married, if they get that far, none of us really know the time frame for that...however when I say if they are together end of the year we know where it is headed just seems logical to me...they will be headed to the 2 year mark..you don't stay in a relationship that long unless you know where it's going and you are willing to go there. LaRae

Understood. :flowers: If they last to two years it will be significant, but he's been at two years twice before. Things can unravel pretty quickly at the end (as some of us might have experienced). The one happy fact is that Harry seems to keep his old girlfriends as friends. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the 'being careful about public speech' is a new thing with the BRF.

Charles is one of the few that have spoken out and even then he's careful about it...and he's taken tons of heat for it also.

Seems like there was a thread about the Spider Letters...it'd have to be under Charle's section here I'd think.

I think Harry's had 2 long term relationships previously ...neither went further due to the women (or so it's said) wanting to deal with being a royal.

To me the time doesn't matter as much once you get into your mid 30's. You are much more certain about what you want in life and in a relationship..you don't mess about like someone in their 20's still exploring things.

If they are still an item end of year...I won't be at all surprised to see an engagement in 2018 and even a marriage.

LaRae

:previous: Well, astrologically ;) Harry is suppose to be falling deeply in love right about now and it's around 2017/2018 he is suppose to marry. Actually, astrologically, there are a lot of changes a-foot for the BRF in these years.

:previous:

Royals have always had to be careful about what they say. They cannot say anything which either promotes or is critical of government policy.

But they can still tackle difficult issues.

Camilla doesn't talk about government support or police attitude to rape victims but she does support charities that support the victims.

Charles can talk about environment issues and promote removing plastics from the ocean but he will do that by talking to companies. He couldn't do it if it was gov policy to promote the use of plastics (it isn't by the way).

Because government involves itself in every aspect of life now it has become a difficult line sometimes. But that line has always been there since 1703.

Royals have always had to be careful about what they say. They cannot say anything which either promotes or is critical of government policy.

But that's just it, it hasn't always been that way. What you are saying is very recent. In fact, with Elizabeth, a woman.

I'm going to type up the results of my sleuthing and post it all (will be very curious what others have to say), but it has to go on a Charles thread and I'll go find one. It'll take me some time because it's a lot of typing and I have some little ones begging for attention right now. :flowers:

But that's just it, it hasn't always been that way. What you are saying is very recent. In fact, with Elizabeth, a woman.

I'm going to type up the results of my sleuthing and post it all (will be very curious what others have to say), but it has to go on a Charles thread and I'll go find one. It'll take me some time because it's a lot of typing and I have some little ones begging for attention right now. :flowers:

No - one of the reasons Edward VIII was a concern to the British Government when he was Prince of Wales was because of his political comments regarding working conditions, particularly in the mines. He expressed his feelings in public.

So it does go back a long time

I might be wrong but wasn't she with her husband for years before they married and then only married for a short time ? So a long courtship might not be important to her

She could speak and throw even more fire to the hatred she already gets, socially she has been silenced.

That is her choice. Speech always has a negative/positive reaction even for non-famous folks. Just go look at FB

LaRae

I might be wrong but wasn't she with her husband for years before they married and then only married for a short time ? So a long courtship might not be important to her

Yes they were together like 7 years or something...and then only married a year or two.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
No - one of the reasons Edward VIII was a concern to the British Government when he was Prince of Wales was because of his political comments regarding working conditions, particularly in the mines. He expressed his feelings in public. So it does go back a long time

Not sure if you are agreeing with me or the opposite. :huh:

Elizabeth has set the standard that the monarch does not speak out. Full stop.

But that has not been the case prior to Elizabeth, and your point about Edward/David proves my point.

How Harry and Meghan become Mr. & Mrs. Wales (or TRH Duke & Duchess of ____________, ) that remains to be seen. Granted she would have to learn British customs and royal traditions and protocol to function in the Firm. I looked at pictures of the Trooping of the Color and Royal Ascot and I tried to picture Meghan on the balcony and in the carriage procession. It was a little odd at first, but then I thought times have changed. I never thought I would see an African American man be elected President of the United States twice, and I certainly didn't think a divorcee who was the mistress of a married Prince of Wales become the second wife after public scorn. Being of the broad culture and of aristocratic circles are no guarantees one can make it
in the BRF; Diana and Fergie are Exhibits A and B.

As for causes and patronages, Meghan could not flat out address racism in affecting policy, but she could address it in some way. She still could be an ambassador to the U.N.

Bottom line it depends on the individual. It's going to depend on Meghan and Harry on how they are going to work out their relationship and a possible future.

That is her choice. Speech always has a negative/positive reaction even for non-famous folks. Just go look at FB

LaRae

She could speak and ruin her relationship with PH also. It is her choice but in alot of ways social norms have hastened her silence.

She could speak and ruin her relationship with PH also. It is her choice but in alot of ways social norms have hastened her silence.

She's not put a foot wrong yet.....as far as social norms....she would willingly place herself in/under those if she decides to marry into the BRF.

LaRae

Whichever way you look at it, this last year Harry and Meghan have been "trying each other on for size". To those advocating they just live together for a while, it wouldn't hurt, William did for years. But it would prove absolutely nothing. You cannot practice being married. You either are or you are not. I attended three weddings one year, each couple had lived together for varying amounts of time, 18 months, 3 years and 7 years. None lasted more than two years from 'I Do' to 'Decree Absolute'. The reason the women all gave . . . it all changed after we got married.

Like it or not, I don't think they are going to move in together for any great length of time. As to fitting in, Meghan has attended many prominent events as a result of both her career and her activism, so I'm guessing she knows which fork to use. And at least she speaks the same language (idiosyncrasies notwithstanding), unlike many European royals whose engagements were delayed while the bride learnt a whole new language and culture.

While I wouldn't wish the to hasten for other people, I'd encourage them to make up their minds. They are in their thirties not their teens and old enough to step out in faith in themselves. Besides, Harry seems to have lost his sparkle, at Pippa's wedding he looked like someone pinched his dog and at the Trooping, he was majorly down in the dumps.

Last edited:
Its been mentioned that Harry has been involved in two relationships prior to Meghan that have lasted 2 years or longer. There was a big difference though I think between both of those and his relationship with Meghan. With Chelsy, both of them were pretty young, enjoyed being with each other and doing what kids their age do. Not much work to keep a relationship there going and from what I've heard, they've had their ups and down throughout. With Chelsy, there wasn't much work to be done to maintain that relationship either. She pretty much floated with the same set that Harry did and they enjoyed being with each other and doing things they liked to do.

With Meghan its a world of difference. Meghan already had an established world around her when she met Harry. Harry was older and is establishing himself in his world too. They both have commitments that keep them quite a distance from each other. This relationship is work on both of their parts to make it work and its been a very private relationship where they're making the most out of the time they do have together rather than going out and having a grand old time partying.

When it comes to speaking, I think Meghan would most likely surpass Will, Kate and Harry at being an eloquent public speaker. I don't think it'd be a stretch for her either to find alternate ways to express her concerns and stay clear of anything political or controversial. There are many, many causes and patronages that are just screaming out for more backing. Like Camilla, she could take on sensitive issues that women and girls have had to face and propagate change without it being political.

I agree with Pranter when she says "She can speak...she CHOOSES to not speak." If she's wise enough and astute enough now to realize that what she feeds into the masses also reflects on the person that she's involved with, its not that much further of a step to adapt to the norm that whatever she'd say as Harry's wife would affect the BRF.

Recently Harry was quoted from a Newsweek article that had him stating that he and William and Kate are working to bring the monarchy into the 21st century. Britain of 2017 is a whole lot different than Britain of 1917. British aristocracy and British conventions that go along with it is actually, in my estimation, would reflect on a very small percentage of the UK's population today. The culture of the UK today is much more diverse than in days of yore and perhaps an American princess would be as acceptable as Sadiq Khan is as a Muslim Mayor of London to the people.

That's my take on it anyways.

Last edited:
So, a new article come out today which built on the Newsweek article from last week.

I wanted out, confesses Harry the reluctant prince | Daily Mail Online

Meghan come up in the article a couple of times, but I found this part to be really interesting.

"Has his relationship with Meghan Markle helped him? It is a subject he does not wish to discuss, feeling she already has too much unfair scrutiny."

It seems that he knows how much people talk about her in a negative fashion, and I guess that's why he does not like to speak about her in interviews. He also dispelled the idea that Meghan advised him on mental health issues, which makes sense to me given that he has mentioned working on this before he met her. Overall, I think it's a good read that greatly expands on the last (not well received) article.

Honestly the whole Meghan inspired him to get into mental health rhetoric never added up to me. People making more of the timing then there was.

Harry has been involved in mental health the longest. Well before this campaign. When he got involved with walking with the wounded and later in Invictus. Unlike the Cambridges who focus on bereavement, his focus has been on PTSD and other issues with military. He has said in plenty of Invictus interviews, that coming back from Afghanistan and seeing the soldiers and the state they were in inspired him. Both their physical and mental.

The one connection between Meghan and his work with the campaign seems to be how they met. So still a nice anecdote if true for eventual engagement video.

Last edited:
Express really needs both new writers and new editors

Prince Harry having engagement ring cut from Diana's bracelet for Meghan Markle | Life | Life & Style | Express.co.uk

Though the title and article say the emerald is from a bracelet, the byline under the title says the ring is being made from his mothers engagement ring. Glad they cleared that up in the article. Was starting to think Harry stole the ring off Kate when she wasn't looking and dismantled it for gold :bang:

Or this lovely article. The queen may not attend her youngest grandsons wedding. :ohmy:

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/820641/Meghan-Markle-Prince-Harry-wedding-queen

May be true enough. Considering her age and how young James is, it's highly unlikely she will be alive When her youngest grandson gets married.

As for Harry, if she didn't approve of Meghan they wouldn't get married. If her and Philip are not there it's because they can't be.

Last edited:
Express really needs both new writers and new editors

Prince Harry having engagement ring cut from Diana's bracelet for Meghan Markle | Life | Life & Style | Express.co.uk

Though the title and article say the emerald is from a bracelet, the byline under the title says the ring is being made from his mothers engagement ring. Glad they cleared that up in the article. Was starting to think Harry stole the ring off Kate she wasn't looking and dismantled it for gold :bang:

Or this lovely article. The queen may not attend her youngest grandsons wedding. :ohmy:

Meghan Markle: Queen won’t attend Prince Harry wedding to Suits actress girlfriend | Life | Life & Style | Express.co.uk

May be true enough. Considering her she and how young James is, it's highly unlikely she will be alive When her youngest grandson gets married.

As for Harry, if she didn't approve of Meghan they wouldn't get married. If her and Philip are not there it's because they can't be.

1. What am I doing on this thread.

2. The Express and it's stupid articles - Its just crap that doesn't deserve to be read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom