Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of us here, like I do, believe that its not if Harry and Meghan get engaged, its when. I just have a feeling that Harry has found the perfect woman for him and they're just biding their time and sewing up loose ends before they make it official.

I personally also believe this one is going to go the distance and he will marry her- I never thought that about his other girlfriends.

He has two long term girlfriends. We don't know how many others he has had at all as he has been seen out once or twice with other girls in between Chelsy and Cressida and again between Cressida and Meghan.

I personally also believe this one is going to go the distance and he will marry her- I never thought that about his other girlfriends.

Me either...not Chelsey nor Cressida.

LaRae

I share the view that Meghan seems like she was made-to-order in many ways: career woman, own money, same charity interests, comfortable in public, including public speaking and being a clothes horse :flowers: de rigueur that last if one is to be royal these days.

And, importantly, experienced in life. She'll go into any relationship eyes wide-open (one would hope). But.....

To talk of engagement and marriage at this stage, when they met not even a year ago, and have likely been seriously a couple for far less, well....we don't want a repeat of the Charles/Diana whirlwind courtship. ;)

She can't ride in a carriage with him, though, unless they are engaged.

She attend Ascot with him at anytime though. She can also attend family weddings as his guest.

Last edited:
I share the view that Meghan seems like she was made-to-order in many ways: career woman, own money, same charity interests, comfortable in public, including public speaking and being a clothes horse :flowers: de rigueur that last if one is to be royal these days.

And, importantly, experienced in life. She'll go into any relationship eyes wide-open (one would hope). But.....

To talk of engagement and marriage at this stage, when they met not even a year ago, and have likely been seriously a couple for far less, well....we don't want a repeat of the Charles/Diana whirlwind courtship. ;)

Not even close to the situation with C&D. They barely dated (and less than a year total) let alone spent a number of nights together or going to events together...not to mention the difference in ages in C&D and ages of both H&M and the areas of commonality they have.

Totally different senarios.

LaRae

She can't ride in a carriage with him, though, unless they are engaged.

True but I don't think riding in a carriage is enough of a push to rush an engagement.

She can attend Invictus with him. If there is an official dinner, not likely, but the actual games and such. No reason to rush an engagement for that. Actually more reason not to. I don't see Harry wanting to steal any focus from the event and athletes. If he announces an engagement and brings his fiancé a lot of press will focus on them.

Hmmmm not sure what I think about the chances of them both showing up at Ascot. It doesn't seem like an event (at least in the past) he was that into.

LaRae

I think 2014 was the first time he ever went....hmm but he's been every year since then.

Will be interesting to see if he brings her, I tend to think she won't be there but you never know.

LaRae

:previous: It could get a little awkward after all, there are the carriage rides, and well come to think of it, if Beatrice can ride in a carriage at Ascot and join her boyfriend in the royal enclosure there really isn't any reason Harry couldn't do the same with his lady . . . I'm pretty sure the other royal ladies would love the chance to meet, greet and grill Meghan in his absence. :D

I think Harry has a real affection for racing and I also think he gets a buzz at tipping his topper to the ladies and I have to admit it cracks me up watching him navigate the kiss on the cheek without disturbing the millinery magnificence of Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie and especially Aunty Anne.

Last edited:
If the princess in question happened to be the heiress to the throne, then I would say 'yes', see the examples of Daniel in Sweden, or Philip, Henrik and Claus in previous generations.

Otherwise, the answer would probably be 'no'. Still, I suppose the Swedish Royal Court for example expected Chris to give up his career after marrying Madeleine and it came a little bit as a surprise when he did not and declined a title and Swedish nationality.

Nevertheless, as senior members of the British Royal Family, Harry and his wife have a public role which they are expected to play. That is part of the "social contract" that exists between the Royal Family and the country and which justifies keeping the monarchy. Fulfilling those obligations takes precedence over Meghan's personal goals. For example, Meghan will have to give up acting and will have to live permanently in the UK. That is probably not negotiable and, in this sense, it is not an equal partnership.

Going back to the discussion with Countessmeout above, the main reason why the same standard did not historically apply to husbands of princesses was that daughters of monarchs were actually not expected to be working members of the Royal Family after they got married. In fact, most of the time, they were expected to marry into other dynastic families and usually join their husband's family / court.

Daniel, clause and Henrik are perfect examples. of course they had to give up their jobs when they married. But none of them stopped working until after they were engaged. They all continued up until after the ring. No one suggested Daniel should have quit his job to date Victoria.

I am not talking historical standards. But double standards some posters here hold. Why is it Meghan is held to different standards than Daniel, Chris or any other male? When Elisabeth, Amalia, Ingrid, Leonor and Estelle start dating will people expect their boyfriends to dump their jobs and lives when dating (note I say dating not engaged)? These are modern times, women whose husbands will fill royal roles as well.

Meghan isn't committed because she isn't at his beck and call. Men are never held to such standards. Sad even in the 21st century there are people who think only men should have careers and commitments outside marriage.

I think we can safely rule out Harry being at Ascot this year. From our own JessRulz:

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal 57s58 seconds ago
Prince Harry will make visits to Singapore and Sydney in early June, on behalf of @Sentebale and @InvictusSydney

Most likely Harry will be out of the country while Ascot is happening this year.

Ascot is June 20 to June 24. So that's not early June. Harry will have to back for Trooping the Colour which is June 17. Not a conflict.

Ahhhh... my mistake. I was thinking Trooping and Ascot were earlier in the month. Totally forgot about the date of State Opening of Parliament being set for June 19th and the Garter Service being canceled.

Be back later on. My indicator light tells me I'm way low on caffeine and need to boost my java intake. :lol:

A matter of choice

I thought that the Women's Movement included-among other things- the idea that a woman should be free to pursue her own path in life. For some women that meant following a career path as far as it could take her. For others, it meant interrupting or foregoing a career in order to be a homemaker or mother.

And if a woman chose to 'stand by her man' pre-marriage (waiting for a ring as some would have it) rather than climb a career ladder, then that's what she should do, without fear of others challenging her choices.

So if a future princess wishes to set aside her career for whatever reasons, who are we to deny a woman that particular choice? We can't all be CEOs!

( And I would expect that a man would have the right to choose his own path, as well.)

:previous: You are absolutely correct. It often seems that these days, being a feminist means having a career around which you try to fit children (if you really have to), and when you are a high flyer giving up work for the first few years of your children's lives is snarled upon.

However, it seems we reserve our nastiest invective to those who dare shun a career completely because they want to be a mother and are in the fortunate situation of being able to afford not to work outside the home. Pity those poor women who, when asked what they do, reply 'I'm a housewife'.

The first feminists got us the vote and 'feminism' as a slow moving force has gotten us many different basic human rights like equal pay for equal work, etc. But many of those who call themselves feminists these days would chain us to our office chair as surely as our grandmothers were chained to the home. They have forgotten that feminism was about the right to choose their future.

Think of the situation CP Victoria and Daniel found themselves. Expected to be an example to both Sweden and the world of Sweden's forward thinking and take parental leave! Amazing and here we are still having hissy fits over the fact that Harry's wife would have to give up her career and Harry isn't even engaged let alone married.

I think a lot of us here, like I do, believe that its not if Harry and Meghan get engaged, its when. I just have a feeling that Harry has found the perfect woman for him and they're just biding their time and sewing up loose ends before they make it official.

I feel the same way. There is just something different about this relationship that his with Chelsea and Cressida. They seem perfect for each other.

:previous: You are absolutely correct. It often seems that these days, being a feminist means having a career around which you try to fit children (if you really have to), and when you are a high flyer giving up work for the first few years of your children's lives is snarled upon.

However, it seems we reserve our nastiest invective to those who dare shun a career completely because they want to be a mother and are in the fortunate situation of being able to afford not to work outside the home. Pity those poor women who, when asked what they do, reply 'I'm a housewife'.

The first feminists got us the vote and 'feminism' as a slow moving force has gotten us many different basic human rights like equal pay for equal work, etc. But many of those who call themselves feminists these days would chain us to our office chair as surely as our grandmothers were chained to the home. They have forgotten that feminism was about the right to choose their future.

Think of the situation CP Victoria and Daniel found themselves. Expected to be an example to both Sweden and the world of Sweden's forward thinking and take parental leave! Amazing and here we are still having hissy fits over the fact that Harry's wife would have to give up her career and Harry isn't even engaged let alone married.
i

And this is relevant how :ermm:

We're not talking post marriage. We're not talking being a wife and mother. Which a royal can't be. They are expected to do royal patronages. No one on here can say if Kate said she was never going to do any events or patronages, she was going to stay home abd raise the kids, that we'd be happy, that it was her right as a female. Why? Because when she married a royal she didn't get just a husband, she took a job.

We're talking dating. There is no ring. There are no children. It isn't a choice to be a housewife. You have to be a wife for that to be a choice.

There have been posts suggesting if she was actually committed to Harry she would quit her job and make herself available. That is what I have issues with. Why does a woman Have to give up her life for a man? Why is it only women expected to quit a job to show they are committed?

Calling us nasty when you make comments about women 'fitting in children' quite nastily suggesting a working woman is selfish :sad: it's pathetic you attack modern women for not supporting house wives while slamming us for careers. Why don't the men stay home? If it's so important a parent is home. Because being a man its normal, a woman having dreams is selfish :bang:

Women should be free to make Any choice. They don't need to be shamed for selfishly 'fitting kids in' any more than staying home.

Meghan if she marries will have yo give up her career. There is no need for her before. Some women you're right choose to focus on finding a husband not a career. Obviously Meghan is not one. When she chooses to leave her career is her choice and not any sign of lack of commitment to Harry.

i

And this is relevant how :ermm:

We're not talking post marriage.
We're not talking being a wife and mother. Which a royal can't be. They are expected to do royal patronages. No one on here can say if Kate said she was never going to do any events or patronages, she was going to stay home abd raise the kids, that we'd be happy, that it was her right as a female. Why? Because when she married a royal she didn't get just a husband, she took a job.

We're talking dating. There is no ring. There are no children. It isn't a choice to be a housewife. You have to be a wife for that to be a choice.

There have been posts suggesting if she was actually committed to Harry she would quit her job and make herself available. That is what I have issues with. Why does a woman Have to give up her life for a man? Why is it only women expected to quit a job to show they are committed?

Calling us nasty when you make comments about women 'fitting in children' quite nastily suggesting a working woman is selfish :sad: it's pathetic you attack modern women for not supporting house wives while slamming us for careers. Why don't the men stay home? If it's so important a parent is home. Because being a man its normal, a woman having dreams is selfish :bang:

Women should be free to make Any choice. They don't need to be shamed for selfishly 'fitting kids in' any more than staying home.

Meghan if she marries will have yo give up her career. There is no need for her before. Some women you're right choose to focus on finding a husband not a career. Obviously Meghan is not one. When she chooses to leave her career is her choice and not any sign of lack of commitment to Harry.
Peace Countess. I was responding to ladongas and agreeing that some of our harshest critics are women themselves. I was certainly not accusing posters of being nasty but of rather attitudes in the workplace such as those women who have to resign and find a new job when their child is either old enough for daycare or nursery school.

I wish Victoria and Daniel's situation was the norm, both seen as equally in need of parental leave and equally responsible. But that is not the case but it can be for Harry and Meghan.

Should they get engaged, marry and have a child, I would love to see it as normal that they both take parental leave, make individual sacrifices for their child because even in that rarified lifestyle choices have to be made.

However, I will put my hand up for laughing about posts and media articles saying Meghan should chuck everything in and move in with Harry to show how serious she is. Your last paragraph summed up the situation nicely.

My point too was that Harry and Meghan are not even engaged and yet . . . . .

:previous: That's very old (re-published by British GH, from original article in US Good Housekeeping last August). Daily Fail is picking up the re-hashed story from The Telegraph. Not an ounce of anything that's new news there.

Here's an old Youtube video of Meghan promoting the GH article in July of last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVgwBc3SjZg

Lovely, inspiring Meghan, as always. But it's not current news. Tabloids are desperate for clicks and digging for fodder to rehash and piece together non-stories, as usual.

US Good Housekeeping online picture gallery from July 12, 2016:
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/fashion/g3698/meghan-markle-fashion-2016/?

Last edited:
I just love this young lady!

I think that Meghan has been put on such a high pedestal. So much will be expected of her from day one as a royal and we know what happens when a royal doesn't meet our expectations

Oh, I don't know about that! Meghan's been getting a whacking on the Internet and in the DM comments section since November, and has been accused of many things.

I guess I just don't read those papers. Everything I've seen is how capable she will be because of her work charity's etc

iWomen should be free to make Any choice. They don't need to be shamed for selfishly 'fitting kids in' any more than staying home.

I think that the problem of expectations of what a woman should or shouldn't do as far as feminism isn't ever going to be totally resolved until a way of thinking is completely changed and your statement, Countessmeout, is rewritten to state that "People should be free to make any choice."

Can you imagine the royal turmoil and buzzing over the back fences if Harry and Meghan decided that she would continue on with her professional life while Harry stays home as with the kids and the dogs in the role of a househusband? This too would be a choice made that fits their lives and perfectly reasonable. It boils down to choices.

Of course that scenario is one I don't ever see happening as I believe that Harry has big plans and ideas on how he wants to use his position on the world stage as a senior royal and most likely the relationship he is pursuing is because the woman he is seeing most likely has the same vision of working with him on that world stage as a partner in life. They would be partners in raising children. They would be partners in whatever they do. They would both make the choice that this is what they envision for their future and do it together as equal partners going into a marriage.

My Dr Pepper traces, I read them as I don't drink tea, already told me that :whistling: Dr Pepper traces are by far the most reliable source you know :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom