The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #3461  
Old 01-31-2017, 10:50 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
I hope that one day Harry can find his perfect English Rose good stock girl who he may love a little bit even if she is not his true choice but the acceptable choice for the 5th in line. I hope they will be happy. True love is overrated when you have to please the country.
IMO, this is a recipe for disaster. Its been tried before and proven to be a bad idea to put country and duty before love when it comes to a royal marriage. If anyone would know this, it would be Harry. He's witnessed the sad results of this kind of thinking first hand.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #3462  
Old 01-31-2017, 11:09 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,092
I just wonder if Harry knows what love is and if Meg would be good for him, not just good to him.
__________________

  #3463  
Old 01-31-2017, 11:09 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 894
Yes Harry witnessed it first hand but it seems his wishes as 5th in line are secondary to him providing a fairytale narrative. Any girl that does not fit that narrative will have her reputation smeared. Whoever Harry chooses I hope she fits the narrative or else. The hysterical overreaction of Harry just dating a girl is comical. He has already destroyed the monarchy and his life according to some.........for simply dating.
  #3464  
Old 01-31-2017, 11:27 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,750
I find it very hard to believe that Harry would base his marriage on finding someone that the media, the trolls of the general public or Aunt Prudence who knows a courtier that gets her hair done at the same place ol' Pru does might do to flame, denigrate, demean and in general just act really, really nasty about his choice. We've gone that fairy tale route before and providing a "narrative" for the braying masses can be accomplished in many ways without a marriage.

It would take a person of very low self esteem to even begin to think that the public "hysteria" or "fawning" or "insert your own adjective here" would make a difference on how they conduct their private lives and Harry most certainly does not fit into that mold whatsoever.

There is only one person that can prevent Harry from having his wishes fulfilled and the blessing to marry his person of choice and that is his grandmother and personally, I don't see why she would have any objection. Harry has absolutely no guidelines whatsoever of parameters that his future bride must fit into. William didn't and he's the heir to the heir and the future king.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #3465  
Old 01-31-2017, 12:23 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,153
And if Meghan doesn't want to make choices and compromises that marrying a British royal will require then she will move on like Chelsy and Cressida did.
  #3466  
Old 01-31-2017, 12:34 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 11,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
IMO, this is a recipe for disaster. Its been tried before and proven to be a bad idea to put country and duty before love when it comes to a royal marriage. If anyone would know this, it would be Harry. He's witnessed the sad results of this kind of thinking first hand.
Margaret, Anne, Charles and Andrew choose for love: divorce, divorce, divorce and divorce. So that oldfashioned marriages would be a "recipe for disaster" seems debatable to me.
  #3467  
Old 01-31-2017, 01:04 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Margaret, Anne, Charles and Andrew choose for love: divorce, divorce, divorce and divorce. So that oldfashioned marriages would be a "recipe for disaster" seems debatable to me.

It's a bit a stretch to say Margaret and Charles chose the person they married for love since they did not marry Peter Townsend and Camilla. When Charles did marry for love- Camilla, it turned out pretty well. Sarah was basically left to herself when Andrew was off in the Navy and she got herself into trouble.

However, what happened in the relationships of Harry's relations does not directly matter to his current or future relationships. What happened to his parents may influence his personality but it isn't a direct thing like because his parents got divorced and had affairs then William and Harry will get divorced, have affairs etc.
  #3468  
Old 01-31-2017, 01:08 PM
HistoryGirl's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Margaret, Anne, Charles and Andrew choose for love: divorce, divorce, divorce and divorce. So that oldfashioned marriages would be a "recipe for disaster" seems debatable to me.
Seems a toss up, like all relationships.
  #3469  
Old 01-31-2017, 02:16 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryGirl View Post
Seems a toss up, like all relationships.
Pretty much. IMHO if a marriage is based on love, friendship, mutual interests, the will to be together, it has a much better shot, than one based on being from same social class. IMO also, if a person is told to only look for a spouse from certain social gtoup only, it creates resentment.
  #3470  
Old 01-31-2017, 03:40 PM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
I just wonder if Harry knows what love is and if Meg would be good for him, not just good to him.
Well none of us really know what romantic love is until we live and learn and experience and Harry has done that, so there's no reason to believe he knows less about it than the rest of us. From what we've seen the last few years, I think he has matured a lot and seems to know exactly what he wants out of life, as a royal and just as a man.

I'm not sure there's much difference between someone being good for you and being good to you. If the latter is true then chances are the former is as well. Certainly in this particular case, I don't see a difference.
  #3471  
Old 01-31-2017, 03:55 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,750
One reason I think that this relationship with Meghan is a good one for him is because of a definition of love that I heard a long time ago and its stuck with me.

"Love is wanting and supporting the other person to be the best possible person they can be"

Many times in a new relationship, a couple tend to try to "people please" their partners so much that their own sense of individuality is lost. Harry and Meghan each already have their separate roles in doing things that doesn't interfere with their relationship and although it is a long distance relationship, I think holding onto their own sense of identity at the beginning of the relationship will just strengthen it more than detract from it. Two people strong in their self identities are more inclined to form a good, equal and strong partnership than a couple where one is dominant and the other one recessive.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #3472  
Old 01-31-2017, 03:57 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
There is only one person that can prevent Harry from having his wishes fulfilled and the blessing to marry his person of choice and that is his grandmother and personally, I don't see why she would have any objection. Harry has absolutely no guidelines whatsoever of parameters that his future bride must fit into. William didn't and he's the heir to the heir and the future king.
Let's not forget that the Succession to the Crown Act says that the monarch's consent to marriages of the first six persons in line to the throne must be declared in a meeting of the Privy Council, meaning it has to be ratified in practice by the government. If the government opposed the marriage, then my understanding is that the Queen would be forced to deny consent.

In any case, Harry could still marry without consent. The only legal effect would be that he and his descendants from the marriage would be excluded from the line of succession to the throne. In principle, unlike in Sweden, Denmark or the Netherlands, I believe the the exclusion from the line of succession would not affect his royal titles and styles. Prince Michael of Kent for example was disqualified from succeeding to the Crown when he married Marie Christine (who is Catholic); nevertheless, he never lost his HRH status as a grandson of a British sovereign in male line.
  #3473  
Old 01-31-2017, 04:04 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Well none of us really know what romantic love is until we live and learn and experience and Harry has done that, so there's no reason to believe he knows less about it than the rest of us. From what we've seen the last few years, I think he has matured a lot and seems to know exactly what he wants out of life, as a royal and just as a man.

I'm not sure there's much difference between someone being good for you and being good to you. If the latter is true then chances are the former is as well. Certainly in this particular case, I don't see a difference.
Do we even know if they are actually "in love", whatever that means ? I mean, we barely see them together and it looks to me more like a long-distance relationship where each of them has his/her own life and they only get together from time to time.
  #3474  
Old 01-31-2017, 04:22 PM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Do we even know if they are actually "in love", whatever that means ? I mean, we barely see them together and it looks to me more like a long-distance relationship where each of them has his/her own life and they only get together from time to time.
I was not talking about this relationship specifically. But just because we don't see them together doesn't mean they aren't spending more time together. You seem to be implying that it's casual relationship, which I find hard to believe, especially on Meghan's part. And I doubt Harry would have released that statement, exposing Meghan to even more scrutiny and harassment, if the relationship wasn't serious. How serious? Who knows. Time will tell.
  #3475  
Old 01-31-2017, 04:30 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
I was not talking about this relationship specifically. But just because we don't see them together doesn't mean they aren't spending more time together. You seem to be implying that it's casual relationship, which I find hard to believe, especially on Meghan's part. And I doubt Harry would have released that statement, exposing Meghan to even more scrutiny, if the relationship wasn't serious. How serious? Who knows. Time will tell.
I don't think their relationship is casual, but I don't see Harry more "in love" with Meghan than he was with Chelsy Davy (his "true love" IMHO) or Cressida. I don't understand why people assume that wiith no facts to back it. I suspect it's just wishful thinking.

PS: Even more so, I don't see Meghan showing "great love" for Harry, but that may be just her discreet nature.
  #3476  
Old 01-31-2017, 04:36 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,750
That's really just it. We have absolutely no clue what goes on with this relationship or when they see each other or anything at all. These two people are so far under the radar that they probably need sonar to find them somewhere in the deep blue sea.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #3477  
Old 01-31-2017, 05:30 PM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't think their relationship is casual, but I don't see Harry more "in love" with Meghan than he was with Chelsy Davy (his "true love" IMHO) or Cressida. I don't understand why people assume that wiith no facts to back it. I suspect it's just wishful thinking.

PS: Even more so, I don't see Meghan showing "great love" for Harry, but that may be just her discreet nature.
I don't see anyone saying he is more in love with Meghan than he was with Chelsy or Cressida? We don't really know any of these people or the details of their love lives but I would say Harry and Chelsy were probably more like first loves. They were young, more carefree, less concerned with media attention. They grew a part, moved on and seem to have matured. It makes sense to me that Harry is now more discreet about his personal life. A lack of pics or details about he and Meghan likely speaks more to that than it does about how either feels about each other.
  #3478  
Old 01-31-2017, 05:35 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Do we even know if they are actually "in love", whatever that means ? I mean, we barely see them together and it looks to me more like a long-distance relationship where each of them has his/her own life and they only get together from time to time.
We don't need to see them for them to spend time together. We have no clue how often they actually see each other.

How does anyone know if Meghan shows 'great love' for Harry? Who does she have to show it to, to Harry, or to people viewing this relationship from outside?
  #3479  
Old 01-31-2017, 05:45 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
We don't need to see them for them to spend time together. We have no clue how often they actually see each other.
Well, it is a fact that they live most of the time in two different continents separated by an ocean. That by itself imposes a physical constraint on the amount of time they can spend together compared to a situation , let's say, where they both lived in the same city.

Furthermore, Meghan still seems very much focused on her career, while Harry is focused on whatever personal projects he might have. It appears to me that they both prioritize that over their relationship (in terms of the amount of time they are together for example).
  #3480  
Old 01-31-2017, 05:59 PM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Well, it is a fact that they live most of the time in two different continents separated by an ocean. That by itself imposes a physical constraint on the amount of time they can spend together compared to a situation , let's say, where they both lived in the same city.

Furthermore, Meghan still seems very much focused on her career, while Harry is focused on whatever personal projects he might have. It appears to me that they both prioritize that over their relationship (in terms of the amount of time they are together for example).
Did they tell you this themselves?

We know that they are in a relationship, that each has taken time to visit the other. We also know that they both want a family, because they have talked about it. So to say they both prioritize other things over their relationship is based on...what exactly? The fact that they are still working? Seems odd.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
america archie mountbatten-windsor asia birth britain britannia british british royal family buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house colorblindness crown jewels customs dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family life fashion and style gemstones genetics gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! henry viii history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan japan history kensington palace king edward vii lili mountbatten-windsor list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchist movements monarchists monarchy names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen louise queen victoria royal ancestry solomon j solomon spanish royal family st edward sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan tradition united states of america wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×