The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #3421  
Old 01-26-2017, 04:23 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,794
Any PR is good PR and her relationship with a Prince is far more interesting for the press than any storyline Suits will ever have. Not for nothing when the Oscar season comes around you will see actors opening up about their private lives and hustling their children in front of the camera. It's all part of the game.

That said, a PR agent will most likely tell interviewers not to ask questions about him and even if people dare or try, will shut it down.
__________________

  #3422  
Old 01-26-2017, 05:33 PM
loonytick's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Any PR is good PR and her relationship with a Prince is far more interesting for the press than any storyline Suits will ever have. Not for nothing when the Oscar season comes around you will see actors opening up about their private lives and hustling their children in front of the camera. It's all part of the game.

That said, a PR agent will most likely tell interviewers not to ask questions about him and even if people dare or try, will shut it down.
All PR is good PR is something only people who are very bad at PR say. It may not be bad PR for her, but it's bad for the show if the questions all go in the direction of Prince Harry stuff. If viewers can walk away from watching an interview or Q&A without being able to recall the name of the show for all the other talk, or not having been introduced to potentially interesting things about the plot or the characters, then it's basically not even PR at all for them.

Which is why I maintain that just dating Harry has already made Meghan's acting career more thorny from here on out. Anytime she comes up for a role, casting agents will have to balance her fit for the character against the idea that her love life will hijack their attempts to publicize the movie. It's a different calculation when the celebrity in question was quite well known as an actor before their personal life got crazy, but Meghan wasn't anywhere near that level of recognition pre-Harry. I hope she really does enjoy this charity work as much as she likes, because regardless of whether this relationship works out or not, it may become her primary livelihood for a while once Suits has run its course.
__________________

  #3423  
Old 01-26-2017, 07:18 PM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Suits is a well-established show that's about to go into its 7th season. I doubt there's much concern at all about this relationship overshadowing the show. It's already found its audience, who's going to watch, regardless.

Meghan is a mixed-race woman who will be in her late 30s by the time Suits is over (if she doesn't leave the show before then). I think those facts will have more of an affect on her career than her dating Harry. I don't think the latter will have nearly the impact some have suggested, be it positive or negative.
  #3424  
Old 01-26-2017, 07:48 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Suits is a well-established show that's about to go into its 7th season. I doubt there's much concern at all about this relationship overshadowing the show. It's already found its audience, who's going to watch, regardless.

Meghan is a mixed-race woman who will be in her late 30s by the time Suits is over (if she doesn't leave the show before then). I think those facts will have more of an affect on her career than her dating Harry. I don't think the latter will have nearly the impact some have suggested, be it positive or negative.
I agree with you. For the most part, people could care less who Prince Harry is and who he is dating. They tune in to watch Suits because they like the show and not because of the private lives of the cast. Other than us royal watchers who do follow Harry and his fan base and her fan base elsewhere, the general population could care less.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #3425  
Old 01-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,396
If Meghan was a British actress in a British show it might have an impact one way or another. Cressida Bonas has the DM publicising her latest film or theatre show simply because she is an ex girlfriend, even though she and Harry have been broken up for quite a while now,

However, the US is very different. I don't think US or even Canadian audiences would care at all, simply because, in the USA anyway, individual members of the BRF do not exactly loom large in people's lives. People in general watch what they want to watch, or not, regardless of the cast's private lives.
  #3426  
Old 01-26-2017, 09:13 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,756
To prove your point, Curryong, I'm an American and I'm a royal watcher and everyone in this thread knows I'm kinda interesting in the BRF, their activities and how things work in regards to the BRF and Harry included.

I can and do get Suits on my satellite feed and I did watch a few episodes when it first started but it slipped by the wayside as I found other things to watch. Its just not a show that grabs my interest. If I didn't know from this thread that Meghan Markle was dating Harry, that woman in the bridal gown on the trailers would have passed right under my radar. I still don't plan on watching the show and prefer to watch this thread instead.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #3427  
Old 01-26-2017, 09:18 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Suits is a well-established show that's about to go into its 7th season. I doubt there's much concern at all about this relationship overshadowing the show. It's already found its audience, who's going to watch, regardless.

There's going to be concern if Meghan's on Jimmy Kimmel to talk about the show, and all Jimmy wants to ask about is the Prince. The show wants Meghan to talk about the show (and Meghan isn't going to want to talk about the relationship), but Jimmy is probably going to want to know about the Prince because which do you think is going to get more viewers?

And before you try to shut me down on this, consider how many members on this forum have acknowledged that they haven't ever seen Suits and have no intention of watching the show, but really want more pictures of Harry and Meghan.

I actually kind of suspect the producers of the show find the relationship to be rather inconvenient. Now one of the stars of their show is in a position where she isn't using social media anymore and is going to have a hard time doing interviews. Any time she is in the news it's about her personal life, not her show. And if the relationship progresses then they're going to lose one of their female leads (who they've spent 7 seasons building as the romantic love interest of one of their male leads).
  #3428  
Old 01-26-2017, 09:30 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Meghan can simply request for her private life to be off limits during interviews in the future. She also can be very diplomatic about it too. She's a smart cookie!
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #3429  
Old 01-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
There's going to be concern if Meghan's on Jimmy Kimmel to talk about the show, and all Jimmy wants to ask about is the Prince. The show wants Meghan to talk about the show (and Meghan isn't going to want to talk about the relationship), but Jimmy is probably going to want to know about the Prince because which do you think is going to get more viewers?

And before you try to shut me down on this, consider how many members on this forum have acknowledged that they haven't ever seen Suits and have no intention of watching the show, but really want more pictures of Harry and Meghan.

I actually kind of suspect the producers of the show find the relationship to be rather inconvenient. Now one of the stars of their show is in a position where she isn't using social media anymore and is going to have a hard time doing interviews. Any time she is in the news it's about her personal life, not her show. And if the relationship progresses then they're going to lose one of their female leads (who they've spent 7 seasons building as the romantic love interest of one of their male leads).
You seem to be creating scenarios where this would be an issue when in reality, there is no reason to think it's that much of an issue at all. She wouldn't be the first actress on the show who didn't use social media (although she in fact tweeted about the show being back the other day). And I still don't see how she would have a hard time doing interviews.

Suits has been on the air for 6 seasons now.The showrunner and producers know that actors come and go for different reasons. But there is no guarantee that the show will even get renewed beyond a 7th season, which Meghan is scheduled to film. This just seems like another "what if" scenario that doesn't even factor into the equation right now.
  #3430  
Old 01-26-2017, 11:11 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC, United States
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
If Meghan was a British actress in a British show it might have an impact one way or another. Cressida Bonas has the DM publicising her latest film or theatre show simply because she is an ex girlfriend, even though she and Harry have been broken up for quite a while now,

However, the US is very different. I don't think US or even Canadian audiences would care at all, simply because, in the USA anyway, individual members of the BRF do not exactly loom large in people's lives. People in general watch what they want to watch, or not, regardless of the cast's private lives.
I am into this relationship only because she is American and biracial. I find it interesting, fresh, and different. I want to see what comes of it. If Meghan were British, I would not care at all!!

As far as "Suits" I am not interested in watching it or Meghan on the series. I don't even know if I have USA Network. I had never heard of Meghan or "Suits" before their relationship was announced on the news.

Once they are married or if they are I will be done.
  #3431  
Old 01-26-2017, 11:24 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,756
I'm in agreement with you that Harry dating someone that is American and has had a measure of success of her own, has an interest in making this world a better place and seems to be pretty down to earth is pretty interesting. I've really not had much to say about his previous girlfriends because to be honest, I just didn't feel drawn to them at all for some reason.

What matters though is that the couple themselves are happy with each other and are able to pursue their relationship and figure out where they want to go from there. Whether they marry or not doesn't really matter to me as I'll continue to follow the British royals regardless but I do seem to think that Meghan would be a wonderful fit and an asset to the BRF is that is where all this is headed.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #3432  
Old 01-27-2017, 01:11 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
All PR is good PR is something only people who are very bad at PR say. It may not be bad PR for her, but it's bad for the show if the questions all go in the direction of Prince Harry stuff. If viewers can walk away from watching an interview or Q&A without being able to recall the name of the show for all the other talk, or not having been introduced to potentially interesting things about the plot or the characters, then it's basically not even PR at all for them.

Which is why I maintain that just dating Harry has already made Meghan's acting career more thorny from here on out. Anytime she comes up for a role, casting agents will have to balance her fit for the character against the idea that her love life will hijack their attempts to publicize the movie. It's a different calculation when the celebrity in question was quite well known as an actor before their personal life got crazy, but Meghan wasn't anywhere near that level of recognition pre-Harry. I hope she really does enjoy this charity work as much as she likes, because regardless of whether this relationship works out or not, it may become her primary livelihood for a while once Suits has run its course.
Suits has been running for years. Meghan has been on that show for years. Any die hard Suits fan will continue to watch regardless of whatever one the rather private leads is up to in her private life and anyone curious about her because of Harry will tune in from time to time. The people who don't like her will merely not watch it and leave comments on various websites. There is no such thing as bad PR in this case when it comes to Suits.
  #3433  
Old 01-27-2017, 06:14 PM
Daenerys Targaryen's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Blue Ocean, United States
Posts: 174
She has far less to learn and far less baggage than certain other married in princesses (MM, Sofia Hellqvist). There is nothing scandalous in her past. The prior marriage might have been an issue, but if the future Defender of the Faith/POW is allowed to marry a divorcee, how can they object to his son doing so? There may be more than a few 'Old Guard' racisists out there who might object to her being bi-racial. The operative word being 'old', so hopefully they wont be around for much longer.
  #3434  
Old 01-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,756
There are a lot of things that Meghan would need to learn just because they're kind of peculiar to being a royal. Such as in a gathering, it is protocol for people not to speak to a HRH unless they are addressed first. So if Meghan married Harry, at a gathering she would need to know she needs to initiate conversation (which I'm sure she'd be excellent at).

I'm sure she'd never make the faux pas of drinking out of the finger bowl at a formal dinner. She would have been well advised beforehand what goes where and what is used for what. Little things like that.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #3435  
Old 01-27-2017, 07:24 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
If something official happens, Meghan will likely go through the same training Catherine went through before she walked down the aisle. That's if!
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #3436  
Old 01-29-2017, 01:47 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Meghan Markle’s India Trip Reveals A Perfect Modern Princess - The Daily Beast
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #3437  
Old 01-29-2017, 02:52 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Welcomed into the fold by charlescand Kate ???? Since when is late the gate keeper? Like Meghan, she is a commoner who entered. Charles nd the queen would make more sense. But of course this is all about getting clicks. Kate Middleton will bring up more Google than the queen. Pair Meghan and Kate Middleton (sure to use her maiden name of course to increase hits more) are sure to cover all bases.

I also hate how they refer to it as a dress rehearsal. Makes it sound like something she is doing as she is dating Harry and is getting practice. you know not because she hasn't been doing long before she met Harry
  #3438  
Old 01-30-2017, 03:15 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,629
I truly hopes he picks someone else and not some American actress with such views and a family like hers. At least Diana, Sarah, Camilla, and Catherine came from good stock.
  #3439  
Old 01-30-2017, 03:31 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,184
Maybe he doesn't have tons of women to pick from, tbh. Many from the 'good stock' would never date him seriously due to the limitations and demands his life and position puts on his wife. And he just might not have found anyone from the 'good stock' he likes enough to get serious with.
  #3440  
Old 01-30-2017, 03:40 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
I truly hopes he picks someone else and not some American actress with such views and a family like hers. At least Diana, Sarah, Camilla, and Catherine came from good stock.
Hideous comment.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor asia britain british british royal family buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house colorblindness crown jewels daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii family life family tree genetics gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor list of rulers meghan markle monarchist movements monarchists monarchy names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spanish royal family st edward sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:20 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×