Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
"There will be three in the marriage, Harry, Meghan and Instagram"

I'm sorry but thats funny

Old 01-20-2017, 06:24 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
My god, this article is just classic Daily Mail. Mudslinging at it's worst. They clearly want to tear Meghan apart. So cruel.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Thing is they're not doing to to be cruel but to make money. People actually pay to read this drivel. They know the meaner they get, the more money goes in their pockets.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:28 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
"There will be three in the marriage, Harry, Meghan and Instagram"

I'm sorry but thats funny
I honestly couldn't find even a little bit of humor in that article. I feel for Meghan's parents, especially - they don't deserve any of this.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Courtier

i saw the headline and didn't bother to read it. Seems like a rehash of a bunch of stuff they've written before. No shocker since Meghan and Harry aren't giving them anything to write about.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
I don't think anyone is saying the BRF is happy about the stories. But will it cause QE to intervene and tell Harry to end the relationship or that he can't marry her? I don't think so. After approving of Charles and Camilla, I think it would take a lot more than a few unsavory family members for her to object to Harry and Meghan.
I know. That's what I said. But that won't stop the media from writing stories or people from talking. That is why it does indeed matter. There is a double standard, yet the irony is often missed. While the Windsors are not really any better or more important than any other human being on this earth, they are treated as such. It is said that they should be thought of as normal, but they aren't. Not because of anything they have done, but because of the affirmation they receive from the public, which includes this very forum.

Her background matters to the public. Enough for Harry to care? Obviously not and good for him. But that doesn't stop the double standard from existing. The family cares because perception matters. Perception is the only reason why they exist.

Meghan looks like a pretty normal girl from the sound of things. Her family has some interesting characters as all of our families do. And that's not a bad thing. It just is what it is. I can, however, understand why someone who believes in the monarchy would find her presence to be problematic. It erodes the illusion.

Personally, I don't care because I don't believe in the illusion myself. I don't believe that Meghan has to be perfect or anything close to it because Harry isn't either. He seems so very ordinary. The only thing that makes him special is the fact that he is a prince. That's not his fault, of course, but it's the truth. No one would pay him any mind if he weren't one.

So while I don't buy into making stories about her family a big deal, I still play the Devils advocate and try to think of how a traditional monarchist would think. And from that perspective, I think they do matter. People have expectations of Harry's wife, girlfriend, or whatever else because rightly, or wrongly, they have expectations of him.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryGirl View Post
I know. That's what I said. But that won't stop the media from writing stories or people from talking. That is why it does indeed matter. There is a double standard, yet the irony is often missed. While the Windsors are not really any better or more important than any other human being on this earth, they are treated as such. It is said that they should be thought of as normal, but they aren't. Not because of anything they have done, but because of the affirmation they receive from the public, which includes this very forum.

Her background matters to the public. Enough for Harry to care? Obviously not and good for him. But that doesn't stop the double standard from existing. The family cares because perception matters. Perception is the only reason why they exist.

Meghan looks like a pretty normal girl from the sound of things. Her family has some interesting characters as all of our families do. And that's not a bad thing. It just is what it is. I can, however, understand why someone who believes in the monarchy would find her presence to be problematic. It erodes the illusion.

Personally, I don't care because I don't believe in the illusion myself. I don't believe that Meghan has to be perfect or anything close to it because Harry isn't either. He seems so very ordinary. The only thing that makes him special is the fact that he is a prince. That's not his fault, of course, but it's the truth. No one would pay him any mind if he weren't one.

So while I don't buy into making stories about her family a big deal, I still play the Devils advocate and try to think of how a traditional monarchist would think. And from that perspective, I think they do matter. People have expectations of Harry's wife, girlfriend, or whatever else because rightly, or wrongly, they have expectations of him.
Again though, is anyone arguing that the RF has zero worry or concern over these stories about her family? I am sure there is at least some annoyance with how they have presented themselves in the media. The big question is whether or not the Queen/RF is so bothered that they have or will intervene as some have suggested? I just don't see it, especially since the drama between Diana, Charles and Camilla already did a lot to erode the illusion yet Charles still married Camilla. Ultimately, I think the RF cares a lot more about Harry's happiness than they do about these stories.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:14 AM
Majesty

A little earlier on in this thread when Meghan's half-siblings' doings came up several posters came up with the unedifying past exploits of several members of the royal family and their associates. If you look back on the thread, History Girl, you will find that discussion.

I regard myself as a traditional monarchist, older, someone who's followed and admired the British Royal family all my life. However, in a long life I have noted that public perceptions about the Royal family and what is suitable behaviour for them and what is not have changed one heck of a lot in the last thirty years, and what's more, from my childhood days the landscape has completely altered.

I don't pay that much attention to the DM. Their journalists invariably play good cop, bad cop with members of the BRF in their efforts to get clicks. Also, they were annoyed by attacks on their so-called integrity and those of other tabloids in Harry's KP statement. If Meghan and Harry become engaged however I don't expect full-on stories like that above to continue, though there will undoubtedly still be acid snark put in the middle of stories for a while.

Is this article favourable PR for Meghan as the girlfriend of a senior member of the British Royal family? No it isn't, of course it isn't. However, a family like the BRF that has survived stories in the tabs about Andrew and his friend Epstein and their proclivities, uncle Gary's exploits, Harry getting naked at Las Vegas, and Margaret romping it up on Mustique with a toy boy, (a few instances there) would survive stories about Meghan's half siblings as well, should she join them.

I'll point out again, Meghan has never spoken about this romance. Nor have her parents. Nor has her mother's side of the family. Half-siblings on her father's side that Meghan hasn't spoken to in decades have, but the vast majority of what they've had to say has been favourable to her, something the DM in the negative article above failed to point out.

If Meghan and Harry wed these people aren't going to be guests at any Royal wedding. She hasn't spoken to most of them in decades, all her adult life in some instances. The DM will move on to something else after any wedding, as these family members fade into the background and Meghan's demeanour and behaviour as a Royal comes to the fore.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:31 AM
Aristocracy

But that's all under the guise of the double standard I mentioned above. The people you mentioned are members of the RF. Kate grew up in the traditional style of an upper class English girl. Yet the snobbery exists regardless. Meghan is even farther removed. People do care, otherwise newspapers would not be writing about it. Now that doesn't mean that everyone on here does or should. But these stories aren't going to stop.

I agree standards have changed. And that's exactly what interests me. My guess is they will continue changing to accomodate the desire of the younger royals to feel "normal." But their entire existence hinges on being anything but normal. So how will that reconcile. The personal relationship doesn't interest me because I don't see anything particularly intriguing about either person involved, but the reactions to them may have very real consequences in the future. And it's not just this one thing, it's how the RF will continue to change with George and Charlotte and Harry's children. With each change the erosion continues and I find it fantastic. But I'm not so sure that everyone does and all i was saying was that I would understand why even though I dont find much objectionable to Meghan as a person myself.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:08 AM
Serene Highness

The fact that DM hasn't been able to dig any dirt on Meghan, her mother or father (bad money management is not dirt, her mother's bankruptcy is from 15 years ago) speaks volumes. None of Meghan's friends are talking, not her exes, college friends, etc. DM feels entitled to scoop, and isn't getting any, so they write smearing articles. I bet they're pissed to have to pay the photographers camped outside her house in Canada.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
The fact that DM hasn't been able to dig any dirt on Meghan, her mother or father (bad money management is not dirt, her mother's bankruptcy is from 15 years ago) speaks volumes.

That doesn't stop them from trying though.

There are at least five articles about Meghan (and her family) in the DM today, and none of them have anything of import to say!
Old 01-22-2017, 07:27 AM
Majesty

"Never-before-seen photo of Meghan Markle shows it wasn't long ago she was an 'unnamed guest' at showbiz parties"

This is the Daily Mail's way of telling us Meghan was a nobody before she met Prince Harry. She's a 'social climber'

Tabloids have made a slight adjustment in how they cover Meghan and her family since Harry issued his statement but make no mistake, certain writers are out to get her.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:43 AM
Courtier

Meghan is one of the main characters in a very successful TV show. That show is generally well respected in the media, it's not Gossip Girl or The Bold and the Beautiful. It's a smart, classy show that basically my entire office watches religiously; there's been plenty of chat about Prince Harry and 'Rachel Zane' at the water cooler. The guys I know who watch it are incredibly jealous of Harry.

No, she wasn't a household name. But she also wasn't a nobody. She's had the kind of acting success that thousands, if not millions, of actresses would give their eye teeth for.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:50 AM
Courtier

imo, Suits is in the same level as Gossip Girl, except Gossip Girl was talk more about that Suits.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
imo, Suits is in the same level as Gossip Girl, except Gossip Girl was talk more about that Suits.
I've watched both shows, and that's a very unfair assessment of Suits.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Serene Highness

It really doesn't matter if Suits and Gossip Girl are alike. The fact is, that every career success and effort Meghan has had, happened before she met Harry. So far this relationship hasn't benefited her at all money or career wise. It might even hinder her acting jobs. It's also a career she'd have to give up, if Harry and her get engaged. DM have always been trash, and I'm guessing they're pissed they aren't getting exclusives. They did the same with Amal Clooney when George called them out.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Majesty

DM guesses she's either on her way to Toronto or London. Great investigative journalism as usual

Meghan Markle arrives at Mumbai Airport | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-22-2017, 12:58 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
DM guesses she's either on her way to Toronto or London. Great investigative journalism as usual

Meghan Markle arrives at Mumbai Airport | Daily Mail Online
Hopefully London just to piss people off.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

You probably have to stop somewhere in between Mumbai and Toronto. Can't really fly direct without stopping to refuel.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:48 PM
Courtier

So she was in India, according to some she had someone in India tweet to make it look like she was in India....hmmm another day, another narrative.

Closed Thread