Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
.. Meghan didn't marry in Church - so no, she is not devorced in the eyes of the church - aswell as Queen Laetizia ... now isn't that handy?

If there was no valid or sacramental marriage then there wasn't one...has nothing to do with being 'handy'.

LaRae

But as hel posted above, the Church of England recognises civil marriage as valid. Doesn't matter if it wasn't in a church, so she is divorced in the eyes of church, at least the Anglican church which is whats important in this case.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I dimly recall that when William was planning his wedding, he was handed a list of people that he should invite to the wedding and he was not happy with it. He talked with the Queen and she said for him to trash the list and invite who he wanted to invite. I imagine it will be the same for Harry and Meghan should they marry.

They'll invite people that they want to be there first and foremost. It won't matter what walk of life or occupation but their relation to the bride and groom.

I don't think he got to trash it. There were a lot of people at the wedding that he probably barely knew, or never met before. I think it was more likely HM said, 'This venue seats 1000, you and Catherine can have 400 to invite whoever you want. The advisors and Charles will work out the remainders.'

.. Meghan didn't marry in Church - so no, she is not devorced in the eyes of the church - aswell as Queen Laetizia ... now isn't that handy?

Yes, Harry and Meghan are free and clear in the Catholic Church. So if they choose to have a Catholic ceremony, they'll be able to do it.

Last edited:
But as hel posted above, the Church of England recognises civil marriage as valid. Doesn't matter if it wasn't in a church, so she is divorced in the eyes of church, at least the Anglican church which is whats important in this case.

Even the Catholic Church recognizes civil divorce ..but that doesn't mean the marriage was sacramental or valid. ..and that is usually what the 'high' Churches go by.

For example, a civil divorce has no bearing in the Catholic Church when it comes to issues of was there a valid/sacramental marriage or not...and that's what determines ability to marry in the CC.

LaRae

I don't think he got to trash it. There were a lot of people at the wedding that he probably barely knew, or never met before. I think it was more likely HM said, 'This venue seats 1000, you and Catherine can have 400 to invite whoever you want. The advisors and Charles will work out the remainders.'

Yes, Harry and Meghan are free and clear in the Catholic Church. So if they choose to have a Catholic ceremony, they'll be able to do it.

Only after they go thru the annulment process for her first marriage. Even if she's not Catholic. Converts to the CC with prior marriages still have to have the marriages looked at because even non-Catholic marriages are presumed to be valid on the face of them.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:

Hypothetically, lets say Harry and Meghan wish to marry in Westminster Abbey. Although the CoE recognizes her divorce as a valid one, with it not being a sacramental marriage and with Westminster Abbey being a royal peculiar, what do you think the chances of the Archbishop of Canterbury giving full permission for the wedding to go ahead?

I am tending to believe that as Meghan's first marriage could be considered not a marriage "in God's eyes" and with it being Harry's first marriage and being the grandson of the monarch (or son of the King depending on when they'd marry), it would be given the full go ahead.

Hypothetically, lets say Harry and Meghan wish to marry in Westminster Abbey. Although the CoE recognizes her divorce as a valid one, with it not being a sacramental marriage and with Westminster Abbey being a royal peculiar, what do you think the chances of the Archbishop of Canterbury giving full permission for the wedding to go ahead?

I am tending to believe that as Meghan's first marriage could be considered not a marriage "in God's eyes" and with it being Harry's first marriage and being the grandson of the monarch (or son of the King depending on when they'd marry), it would be given the full go ahead.

As a royal peculiar, the Dean of Westminster answers directly to The Queen, not the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The Queen being a deeply religious woman would heed the advice of her clergy though. Meghan won't get a pass just because she wants to marry Harry, at least I hope she wouldn't.

It was the Archbishop of Canterbury who advised the Queen not to attend Charles' civil ceremony.

I'm not a church expert but it appears Meghan's first marriage was legal and valid according to the Church of England, that means she's also a divorcee in the eyes of the church

Last edited:
Thanks Rudolph. I guess one way we'll find out is to watch and see what happens should Harry get engaged. Along with the excitement of a royal wedding, the lead up to the wedding and the wedding itself offers a lot of information on just how things work and why they work that way.

Keeps me on my toes and checking off my "learn something new everyday" box. :D

They will certainly get married in a church but I don't think it will be the Abbey. I always thought Windsor was more likely for a royal in Harry's position and Meghan being a divorcee makes me even more certain.

The Abbey is just too symbolic imo. St Georges Chapel is also a royal peculiar btw.

There would probably be too much criticism of a big splashy wedding in Westminster Abbey for a second marriage.
I don't think the RF would risk that.
My money's on St. George's Windsor.

(It would be as bad as when Letizia wed Felipe; there are still parties in Spain who disapprove, even years later. Why would Harry and Meghan let themselves in for that?).

Last edited:
I believe that if and when Harry marries, it will be where and when he wants with the approval of the Queen. Some people will fuss and carry on and the news media will take sides but that is their problem, not Harry's. Yes there are a few in Spain that still don't approve of Felipe marrying a divorced woman, but tough. He did. They have two lovely children. They seem close in marriage after all these years. And lets face it, it wasn't Letizia that has brought disgrace to the Royal Family of Spain. It was the Royals themselves. I just truly hope that Harry has a happy marriage when he does finally marry. There is nothing better then to be happy and content in your personal life.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a royal peculiar, the Dean of Westminster answers directly to The Queen, not the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The Queen being a deeply religious woman would heed the advice of her clergy though. Meghan won't get a pass just because she wants to marry Harry, at least I hope she wouldn't.

It was the Archbishop of Canterbury who advised the Queen not to attend Charles' civil ceremony.

I'm not a church expert but it appears Meghan's first marriage was legal and valid according to the Church of England, that means she's also a divorcee in the eyes of the church

It should be added that neither the Archbishop of Canterbury nor the Queen can tell the Dean of Westminster that Harry and Meghan have to be married in Westminster Abbey.

No priest can be forced to perform a ceremony of a divorcee, nor can they be forced to allow a marriage to take place in their church.

If the Dean of Westminster does not consent to the marriage, neither the Queen nor the ABC can override him and force an Abbey wedding.

If the Dean of Westminster does not consent to the marriage, neither the Queen nor the ABC can override him and force an Abbey wedding.

The Dean can't be forced to perform the wedding but the Abbey itself is under The Queen's jurisdiction.

It was the AoC who perform William and Catherine's wedding. Not sure the Dean has the authority to block weddings in the Abbey? I'm not sure, just asking.

But anyway, I don' think they will get married there. Windsor seems like a better bet to me.

The Dean can't be forced to perform the wedding but the Abbey itself is under The Queen's jurisdiction.

It was the AoC who perform William and Catherine's wedding. Not sure the Dean has the authority to block weddings in the Abbey? I'm not sure, just asking.

But anyway, I don' think they will get married there. Windsor seems like a better bet to me.

I think that a wedding is unlikely at Westminster regardless of who Harry marries for reasons unrelated to the bride, but highly related to the pomp and circumstance around him.

That said, the way I'm reading the various statements on the issue of divorce, each priest has the ability to determine if he will consent to perform a marriage, and (if he is not performing it) if he will consent to it happening in his parish.

My understanding of "parish" is that it equals a church. If a priest is the head of an individual church, then he gets to say whether or not a wedding can happen in it, even if he's not officiating.

The Dean of Westminster is in charge of Westminster Abbey, so while the ABC might be able to officiate a wedding in it, the Dean has to consent to that.

As for William's wedding, it's a bit trickier than just the ABC officiated. The Dean of a Westminster presided over it, the ABC conducted the service, and the Bishop of London preached the sermon.

I've read that Meghan's father Tom is either Jewish or of Jewish descent. Actually a while ago I also read a post from a mod on another forum who has contacts in show biz and she said that Meghan and her father were known at a certain synagogue in LA when she was much younger and living there. I put that out here at the time.

This was a few months ago, but I remember her stating that she (Meghan) participated in some cultural events there as well. Is that possible? As a non Jewish person I don't know whether Meghan would have been allowed to attend regular services at a synagogue if she wasn't converted, even if she was under her father's wing.

Whatever happened in LA, Meghan doesn't appear to be a regular worshipper at any Toronto synagogue, and her wedding, to a Jewish man, was non-denominational. Perhaps when Meghan was younger she was experimenting, and then settled down to no practising religion at all, following Buddhist philosophies or something else.

Whatever floats your boat as far as I'm concerned, as a Methodist who was baptised and confirmed into the C of E.

Last edited:
I don't think Meghan's religion is too big of a deal if her and Harry are to marry. She's talked about a lot of stuff and her opinions on things before, and yet no mention of religion. It doesn't seem to be a big part of her life. If they were to marry, I'm sure she'd convert to Church of England if that's requested. That's a small concession compared to other things she'd have to give up.

I've read that Meghan's father Tom is either Jewish or of Jewish descent. Actually a while ago I also read a post from a mod on another forum who has contacts in show biz and she said that Meghan and her father were known at a certain synagogue in LA when she was much younger and living there. I put that out here at the time.

This was a few months ago, but I remember her stating that she (Meghan) participated in some cultural events there as well. Is that possible? As a non Jewish person I don't know whether Meghan would have been allowed to attend regular services at a synagogue if she wasn't converted, even if she was under her father's wing.

Whatever happened in LA, Meghan doesn't appear to be a regular worshipper at any Toronto synagogue, and her wedding, to a Jewish man, was non-denominational. Perhaps when Meghan was younger she was experimenting, and then settled down to no practising religion at all, following Buddhist philosophies or something else.

Whatever floats your boat as far as I'm concerned, as a Methodist who was baptised and confirmed into the C of E.

Judaism is matriarchal, in the family sense. You take your religion from your mother. That is why Jewish families would be more upset by a son marrying out if their faith. It would be expected if their son was married to a catholic, the child would be Catholic. Muslims are the opposite, children automatically take the religion of their father.

It would depend on the synagogue. The more fundamental/traditional may not welcome outsiders at sabbath. But certainly more liberal ones do. I have attended on occasion. I have friends who are, and I have attended Passover she Hanukkah at their home and have attended synagogue.

It seems to be more common in past decades for blended families to share bits of both traditions. It wouldn't be odd got Meghan to have attended synagogue with her dad and celebrate Hanukkah but church she Christmas with mom. Especially since her parents are divorced.

Isn't it up to an adult person to define their own relgious believes? I don't think that Meghan's religious believes can any more at the age of 35, be refined by her parents' religion. I've never read or heard her speak about religion, or her own believes. She may have, I just haven't read about it.

Isn't it up to an adult person to define their own relgious believes? I don't think that Meghan's religious believes can any more at the age of 35, be refined by her parents' religion. I've never read or heard her speak about religion, or her own believes. She may have, I just haven't read about it.

As an adult you can choose to convert. Or to be a non-practicing. But if you were raised Jewish, and haven't actively changed that, you'd be Jewish. Same goes with bring Catholic or Protestant. I was baptized Catholic, if I chose to attend Anglican Church, which did from time to time in England, it wouldn't make me Anglican. Technically I'd still be Catholic. Yes, as an adult, you make your jen decisions about religion. But you do have to make them.

Reading over these posts discussing Meghan's possible religion, the one person that comes to mind that she may be like is Charles. Charles is most definitely a member of the Church of England and that is where he worships but when it comes down to religion, I think he's of a mind to embrace the fact that there is something beautiful in all religions and he respects and wants to know about all of them. Perhaps this is where Meghan is at 35.

Reading over these posts discussing Meghan's possible religion, the one person that comes to mind that she may be like is Charles. Charles is most definitely a member of the Church of England and that is where he worships but when it comes down to religion, I think he's of a mind to embrace the fact that there is something beautiful in all religions and he respects and wants to know about all of them. Perhaps this is where Meghan is at 35.
Prince Charles has great respect for Christhian Ortodox Church, even helps... Am I right that Prince Philip iwas ortodox but converted?

Anyway, slow news these days ...

Perhaps a big outing by the couple would do some good.

Prince Charles has great respect for Christhian Ortodox Church, even helps... Am I right that Prince Philip iwas ortodox but converted?

Anyway, slow news these days ...

Yes, Philip was baptized in the Greek Orthodox Church. He officially converted before the wedding, but he was never a practicing orthodox. He started attending Anglican service living with his Mountbatten grandmother and relatives as a child, and with his classmates. He is said to have always considered himself Anglican, just was made official when he married the future queen.

My best friend married a jewish husband from Israel but were nor allowed to marry there and went to Cypresses but all 4 childrean are jewish no why they could be catholics...

But anyway, that question will be solved easily if they decide to marry...

Going by that Meghan didn't have a religious first wedding, it would seem that she isn't super religious. If you were so hardcore Catholic, that you need to marry a British prince who Grandmother, Father and Brother are the future head of the Church of England in a Catholic Church, then you aren't going to get married on a beach in Jamaica with beer pong as part of the wedding activities. The same thing if she was Jewish.

Oh wow I was'nt aware that one had to be super Pious inorder to marry into the royal family. Poor Meghan how will she ever be pure enough for these super perfect and pious people. For shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom