The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2281  
Old 12-17-2016, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I support Harry and Meghan's relationship, and yeah there are differences between Meghan and Sweden's Princess Sofia but there are similarities as well.

First of all Sofia was not a nude model, she posed nude once and was not a teenager at the time.

While not a reality show, Meghan "showed herself off" on Deal or no Deal.

I could be wrong but I doubt if Meghan has been self-supporting since the early 2000s, even when taking into account that she worked as a calligrapher in addition to acting. Maybe Sofia's private life could be considered colorful vis a vis Meghan, but to me it looks like they both basically lived off wealthy men, and while doing so engaged in fun stuff, however both also have a social conscious and did activities in that area as well.

Kissing a woman on a reality TV show, posting a picture of spooning bananas the day the story breaks that you are dating the world's most eligible bachelor, potayto, potahto.
Kissing a woman on reality TV and posting a pic of two spooning bananas isn't even close to being the same thing. And I'm puzzled as to how anyone came to that conclusion. Especially considering that most eligible bachelor was with her when she posted it and likely knew that was going to be posted and, from everything that's happened since, doesn't seem to see it as a problem.

As for living off of wealthy men, we don't know anything about Meghan's ex husband to make such a claim? And certainly if she was living off of a wealthy man, she wouldn't have to have held odd jobs like being a calligrapher, teaching gift wrapping, or do deal and no deal. Sounds like to me she is just like any other auditioning actor or actress in LA. And quite frankly, it's insulting to suggest anyone was living off of wealthy man without evidence. Especially considering no one has ever heard of his so called wealth or success.

Deal or No Deal is a game show, not nearly the same level of other reality shows that's started to show up. She stands there with a brief case. No tacky behavior required.
__________________

  #2282  
Old 12-17-2016, 09:53 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,722
I think there is really only one role where a woman becomes bigger and better as she ages and that is going from being a mother to a grandmother. Its just so much fun and less work.

There have been multitudes of people that start out in one profession and then find an even more rewarding field for them to pursue. Quite a few hip hop artists have become successful actors (Ice T as Odifin Tutuola on L&O:SVU and LL Cool J as Sam Hanna on NCIS:LA come to mind) and the popular psychologist TV doctor, Dr. Phil McGraw, whose previous career has spurned the new series "Bull".

Being a successful actress on a TV series put Meghan in Toronto where she crossed paths with Harry and that may lead to an even more fulfilling life than she's ever dreamed possible. We'll just have to wait and see what develops.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #2283  
Old 12-17-2016, 10:03 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Kissing a woman on reality TV and posting a pic of two spooning bananas isn't even close to being the same thing. And I'm puzzled as to how anyone came to that conclusion. Especially considering that most eligible bachelor was with her when she posted it and likely knew that was going to be posted and, from everything that's happened since, doesn't seem to see it as a problem.

As for living off of wealthy men, we don't know anything about Meghan's ex husband to make such a claim? And certainly if she was living off of a wealthy man, she wouldn't have to have held odd jobs like being a calligrapher, teaching gift wrapping, or do deal and no deal. Sounds like to me she is just like any other auditioning actor or actress in LA. And quite frankly, it's insulting to suggest anyone was living off of wealthy man without evidence. Especially considering no one has ever heard of his so called wealth or success.

Deal or No Deal is a game show, not nearly the same level of other reality shows that's started to show up. She stands there with a brief case. No tacky behavior required.
A woman in a 7 year relationship with one man while still working different jobs and getting small movie parts is called living off a wealthy man? Likewise when she was in suits she had a relationship with a professional chef who while famous in Canada he is no Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsey. If all Megan wanted was fame from the men she was with she is an UNDERACHIEVER! Forget Prince Harry if Meghan wanted only attention she could of went after Drake or a Toronto Raptor...she would of had fame, attention, money without all the bitter women taking swipes at her.
  #2284  
Old 12-17-2016, 10:20 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
A woman in a 7 year relationship with one man while still working different jobs and getting small movie parts is called living off a wealthy man? Likewise when she was in suits she had a relationship with a professional chef who while famous in Canada he is no Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsey. If all Megan wanted was fame from the men she was with she is an UNDERACHIEVER! Forget Prince Harry if Meghan wanted only attention she could of went after Drake or a Toronto Raptor...she would of had fame, attention, money without all the bitter women taking swipes at her.
Not to mention, during the entirety of the relationship, she never spoke a about the chef or post any personal pic of the two on her social media. So clearly, while this woman shares some parts of her private life with fans, certain aspects have always been off limits.
  #2285  
Old 12-17-2016, 11:58 AM
Angel.10's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 108
lol lol lol Compare Sofia from Sweden with Meghan is totally ridiculous. To begin with, Sofia doesn't even know how to speak in public, Meghan has personality, ideas,is articulate, speaks very well, represents women in the ONU ... not to mention the rest
  #2286  
Old 12-17-2016, 12:04 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,184
Where does this idea, that Meghan was living off wealthy men come from? It's quite insulting and sexist, with no proof to back it up.
  #2287  
Old 12-17-2016, 12:18 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Marietta, United States
Posts: 139
I'm pretty sure she refused spousal support after her divorce from the producer...Meaning she didn't marry for money...If she did she would have gotten half but she didn't.Whoever even brought this up should be ashamed to assume that especially from an actress who has admitted to odd jobs until she found work...Sounds like a determined woman to me and in the end it paid off for her.She did something right.I think she did maybe 2-3 episodes of Deal or No Deal and quit because she found it degrading...She started small and then got a better role,that's the way to do it! She's proud of herself.Bottom line,she doesn't need a man's money or support,she made it on her own.
  #2288  
Old 12-17-2016, 12:36 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,722
With the relationship between Harry and Meghan now in full swing, I think we all need to step back a bit and think before we post. There are bound to be a gazillion different reports filled with innuendo and gossip and totally made up stories that a reporter pulls out of his hat to garner attention and have click bait.

As it is pretty much the rule of things here on TRF that we don't deal in gossip and speculation of the wild sorts, maybe we all should ask ourselves before we post the latest Sun article or Daily Mail article or TMZ rumors if it can even be seen as being credible in any way? I know there are a lot of yellow journalist out there that will print any little thing that comes across their desk regardless of its credibility but it is also up to ourselves to be discriminating enough not to pass on garbage.

I think it'd make for a more interesting and intelligent discussion if we can just veer away from the inane and the insinuations and the reports of a derogatory nature based on a person's misplaced self righteousness that comes out in print. Just because places like the Daily Mail print this kind of stuff doesn't mean it needs to be reposted here.

Lets be responsible folks.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #2290  
Old 12-17-2016, 01:49 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Where does this idea, that Meghan was living off wealthy men come from? It's quite insulting and sexist, with no proof to back it up.
I was the one who brought it up. As I stated at the beginning of my comment, I support Harry and Meghan's relationship but I disagreed with some points made in a comment comparing Meghan and Princess Sofia of Sweden.

Regarding my "living off wealthy men," I did throw in qualifying words like "I could be wrong but..." and "to me it looks like..." I am not going back down from the comment and feel that I have a sound basis for my position, which does not mean that others can't see it differently. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place, because I can elaborate on how I came to the conclusions I came to but, given the reaction, that will likely be seen as throwing negativity at someone that I am rooting for.

Bear in mind that my comment was in response to a post that had several disparaging comments directed at Princess Sofia - for the record, I like Sofia but I don't think she is above reproach. I guess the lesson learned here is to be careful about tearing someone else down to make another person look good.
  #2291  
Old 12-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I was the one who brought it up. As I stated at the beginning of my comment, I support Harry and Meghan's relationship but I disagreed with some points made in a comment comparing Meghan and Princess Sofia of Sweden.

Regarding my "living off wealthy men," I did throw in qualifying words like "I could be wrong but..." and "to me it looks like..." I am not going back down from the comment and feel that I have a sound basis for my position, which does not mean that others can't see it differently. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place, because I can elaborate on how I came to the conclusions I came to but, given the reaction, that will likely be seen as throwing negativity at someone that I am rooting for.

Bear in mind that my comment was in response to a post that had several disparaging comments directed at Princess Sofia - for the record, I like Sofia but I don't think she is above reproach. I guess the lesson learned here is to be careful about tearing someone else down to make another person look good.
The comments about Sofia had facts backing them up. Your opinion of Meghan living off of wealthy man didn't. That's the difference here. If it's based facts, then that's just stating facts. If it's stating without facts, and tarnished someone's reputation. That's libel.
  #2292  
Old 12-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I was the one who brought it up. As I stated at the beginning of my comment, I support Harry and Meghan's relationship but I disagreed with some points made in a comment comparing Meghan and Princess Sofia of Sweden.

Regarding my "living off wealthy men," I did throw in qualifying words like "I could be wrong but..." and "to me it looks like..." I am not going back down from the comment and feel that I have a sound basis for my position, which does not mean that others can't see it differently. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place, because I can elaborate on how I came to the conclusions I came to but, given the reaction, that will likely be seen as throwing negativity at someone that I am rooting for.

Bear in mind that my comment was in response to a post that had several disparaging comments directed at Princess Sofia - for the record, I like Sofia but I don't think she is above reproach. I guess the lesson learned here is to be careful about tearing someone else down to make another person look good.
I really get where you're coming from with all this but it is not uncommon here for posters to ask you to back up what you say with a credible source. We have to be responsible enough to maintain a sensible, reasonable and intelligent discussion about things without resorting to speculation, gossip and hearsay as that leads to misinformation that could be passed on and then taken as fact.

Your opinion is valid and your own and respected but it does help to elaborate on how you came to such a conclusion sometimes with credible facts to back it up.

I agree that the comparisons that have been made in this thread between Princess Sofia of Sweden and Meghan Markle are out of place as each woman is unique unto her own self. Its my own opinion that no one should be disrespected for any reason. Its OK not to like someone but in my book, if you can't say anything positive about someone, its best to say nothing at all.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #2293  
Old 12-17-2016, 02:07 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,184
But there's no support to the idea, that she was living off men. There's no way to prove it without seeing her and her exes tax papers etc.

The way Meghan, and any woman dating or marrying a royal get torn to pieces, how made up bs stories get written on message boards etc is just ugly. Some people even try to claim, that it's their right as tax payers to have input in whom the royal dates or marries. This site sees to be pretty decent and sane in that sense.
  #2294  
Old 12-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
But there's no support to the idea, that she was living off men. There's no way to prove it without seeing her and her exes tax papers etc.

The way Meghan, and any woman dating or marrying a royal get torn to pieces, how made up bs stories get written on message boards etc is just ugly. Some people even try to claim, that it's their right as tax payers to have input in whom the royal dates or marries. This site sees to be pretty decent and sane in that sense.
I think that's basically because there are rules in place here to discourage the types of comments we see trolls making elsewhere and in the Daily Mail comment section.

"Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated."
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #2295  
Old 12-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
The comments about Sofia had facts backing them up. Your opinion of Meghan living off of wealthy man didn't. That's the difference here. If it's based facts, then that's just stating facts. If it's stating without facts, and tarnished someone's reputation. That's libel.
Not every assertion in that post was supported by facts.

I did not say that Meghan living off wealthy men was a fact, I made it very clear that it was an opinion / judgement call. My comment was not libelous.

In the same sentence that I made the "living off wealthy men" comment I also stated that Meghan (and Sofia) had a socially conscious side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I really get where you're coming from with all this but it is not uncommon here for posters to ask you to back up what you say with a credible source. We have to be responsible enough to maintain a sensible, reasonable and intelligent discussion about things without resorting to speculation, gossip and hearsay as that leads to misinformation that could be passed on and then taken as fact.

Your opinion is valid and your own and respected but it does help to elaborate on how you came to such a conclusion sometimes with credible facts to back it up.

I agree that the comparisons that have been made in this thread between Princess Sofia of Sweden and Meghan Markle are out of place as each woman is unique unto her own self. Its my own opinion that no one should be disrespected for any reason. Its OK not to like someone but in my book, if you can't say anything positive about someone, its best to say nothing at all.
I have no problem with being asked to substantiate anything that I state whether it is something that I present as a fact, which was not the case here, or an opinion of mine.

Believe me, I can substantiate my comment but I think that this is a case where discretion is the better part of valor. Note I am not claiming that if I were to elaborate that everyone will buy in my point of view, and agree with the comment that no one really knows unless they are looking at tax statements.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think that's basically because there are rules in place here to discourage the types of comments we see trolls making elsewhere and in the Daily Mail comment section.

"Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated."
Meghan's IMDb page is my primary resource.
  #2296  
Old 12-17-2016, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Not every assertion in that post was supported by facts.

I did not say that Meghan living off wealthy men was a fact, I made it very clear that it was an opinion / judgement call. My comment was not libelous.

In the same sentence that I made the "living off wealthy men" comment I also stated that Meghan (and Sofia) had a socially conscious side.


I have no problem with being asked to substantiate anything that I state whether it is something that I present as a fact, which was not the case here, or an opinion of mine.

Believe me, I can substantiate my comment but I think that this is a case where discretion is the better part of valor. Note I am not claiming that if I were to elaborate that everyone will buy in my point of view, and agree with the comment that no one really knows unless they are looking at tax statements.

ETA:

Meghan's IMDb page is my primary resource.
That is exactly what libel is if you can't provide facts. Just by having an in my opinion and then stating something that isn't subjective doesn't cover you. It's not the same as saying someone is ugly as beauty is subjective. You made a statement that is either true or not true disregard personal preference. And not buying the arguement that you don't want anyone to think that of her by not providing facts. If you didn't want to, you wouldn't have said it in the first place.

And I haven't seen anything to suggest Meghan was living off of a wealthy man. Even tabloids didn't go so far.
  #2297  
Old 12-17-2016, 03:03 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaika View Post
I did have a problem with the Duchess of Cambridge, they are plenty of princesses and aristocrats to choose from. With Meghan it's more so because of an American thing. Americans did not want the British Monarchy, they went to war in order to get rid of us, why should they now be able to have an American born princess - I find it ironic to say the least. And we should not compare continental monarchies to the BRF. Not the same status or history or influence at all.

Royal men these days seem to see it very different. As CP Haakon 20 years ago said in an interview (1 year before he first met his future wife: "The shortage (of princesses or aristocrats to choose from) is much too limited"

I have great reservations about Harry dating that woman; but to the fellow poster who claimed british women shouldn´t curtsey Markle once she would be a Duchess because she wasn´t of british origin, nativity has nothing to do with etiquette or protocol but status! As a possible wife of Pr Henry, then Duke of ?, she would be a royal highness and if you want to follow royal etiquette strictly and the way it was once intended you would have to curtsey (though it is of course nowadays optional and by one´s own choice)
  #2298  
Old 12-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Royal men these days seem to see it very different. As CP Haakon 20 years ago said in an interview (1 year before he first met his future wife: "The shortage (of princesses or aristocrats to choose from) is much too limited"

I have great reservations about Harry dating that woman; but to the fellow poster who claimed british women shouldn´t curtsey Markle once she would be a Duchess because she wasn´t of british origin, nativity has nothing to do with etiquette or protocol but status! As a possible wife of Pr Henry, then Duke of ?, she would be a royal highness and if you want to follow royal etiquette strictly and the way it was once intended you would have to curtsey (though it is of course nowadays optional and by one´s own choice)
Besides, when royalty only married other royalty, most princesses were foreign. the British ppl still curtseyed to a foreign woman.
  #2299  
Old 12-17-2016, 05:56 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Marietta, United States
Posts: 139
PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: The little girl who would grow up to steal a Prince's heart... Meghan Markle's family share their enchanting photographs of the actress in her younger days | Daily Mail Online

Her family is very annoying and they are selling stories for money...I now see why she doesn't talk to them often.
  #2300  
Old 12-17-2016, 06:27 PM
rominet09's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LIEGE, Belgium
Posts: 4,936
Anyway I really hope this Relationship will lead to a wedding.... pity about her family
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia baby names biography birth britain britannia british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries coronation crown jewels daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii family life gemstones george vi gustaf vi adolf hello! henry viii hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume history hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan jewellery kensington palace king edward vii książ castle lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchy mountbatten names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess eugenie queen louise solomon j solomon spanish royal family speech sussex taiwan thai royal family united states wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:41 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×