Prince Harry: Official Visit to the Caribbean - November 20-December 4, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was lovely that the Governor General gave him poetry of her country in a beautiful case, anyway, even if he's hardly likely to read it to Meghan or anyone else. The members of the BRF always give underwhelming official presents like signed photos. Several of them are artistically talented. Why not a nice painting or a photograph taken by themselves of English woodlands or something?

I hope these Investitures are recorded in the CC because the earlier two on this tour haven't been, apparently.

I've always thought too that the British royals could be a little bit more inventive when it comes to giving official gifts during state visits. I always thought too that it was probably just me that thought giving a signed photograph is kind of on that tacky side and something you would expect from a celebrity or a rock star or something that people would keep to "prove" they met so-and-so.

The book of poetry will probably go into the royal vaults along with other gifts received by the British royals on various tours and state visits and catalogued. You're absolutely right though. I do not really picture Harry as the type that would enjoy sitting and reading poetry. The spooning bananas sound much more like what would come from Harry. :D

His answer about being a royal is really one of the best answers I've heard given regarding that type of question. No self pity involved.

His answer about being a royal is really one of the best answers I've heard given regarding that type of question. No self pity involved.

I agree that was a wonderful answer and as you say no self pity at all
Bravo Harry

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Out of all the possible responses to what its like to be royal, what Harry responded with on the spur of the moment really shows how he sees it and shows that making a difference is a big thing on his mind when it comes to where his life is headed.

That really is a big perk of being born royal. You do actually get the platform to make a difference in the world on a silver platter so to speak rather than have to work your way up a ladder to attain the public face that people respond to.

Yes it was and I hope it gave the schoolkids an understanding of his and other royals' roles.

Recently I've been following Harry's visit through Instagram and have thoroughly enjoyed doing so. Harry is a "people person" and most of the people whom he met, particularly the children, seemed to be rather relaxed with him.

I agree about the signed photo though, and also with Osipi's comment - whilst I like Harry a lot, that does seem like something a celebrity would do more than a royal. I also agree with Curryong in that a photo in the British countryside. I thought the Governor General's gift was charming and quite an "out of the box" idea too.

Harry's arrival, from KP Twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/802499622543511552

Saying hello to the Vincey Parrot.
https://mobile.twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/802511706341703680

From Richard Palmer.

Harry is now on St Vincent and at the world's oldest tropical botanic gardens.
https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalRep...8?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Harry chatting to children in the capital, Kingston, who sang beautifully to him, according to Richard.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalRep...9?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Last edited:
He is really shining during this tour. He is so engaging with everyone and I just love seeing him with children. He exudes warmth and Kindness. Seeing him is like seeing his mother. Go Harry!!

I am having a fantastic time following this tour. I enjoyed his Asian one but I think this is the first tour I have followed all the way of any royals :flowers:

I love the picture of him with the parrot and the comments :lol:

Again great photos of him with the kids. And whether drinking coconut water or playing cricket, or talking with locals, he is so engaged.

I love the environmental goals outlined, the new nature projects in the queen's name, such a good initiative and happy Harry is there bringing attention to it.

Last edited:
There is just something I've come to expect when following Harry on a royal tour to anywhere and that is that he'll not disappoint and this tour of the Caribbean is no exception. He really does get into whatever he is doing or wherever he is visiting. I'm totally not surprised that he'd get up close and personal with a parrot, drink out of a coconut and even his lodgings and meals are just so Harry. One thing I have come to realize about Harry is that he doesn't ever demand preferential treatment from anybody. He's the kind of guy that can be happy and fit in no matter where he is and that is what endears him to me. Rather than be treated as he is something special because he is royal, it is him that makes those around him feel special.

I do have to attest to the fact that parrots can be very, very loud. I've always wanted an African Grey parrot and should I get one, it'd be a short trip to a divorce court as my hubby has super sensitive hearing (now I know where my missing hearing abilities went) and the noise would drive him over the edge. :D

It's a good job your husband doesn't live near us, Osipi. There are flocks of Major Mitchell cockatoos that gather in the trees. Their cawing is absolutely raucous!

Harry is presented with a painting of himself.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kensingt...6?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Presenting awards and meeting young people at the reception tonight.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kensingt...8?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kensingt...4?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Incidentally, what is with the one suit and tie that is conspicuous on this tour? I distinctly remember a couple of light linen suits worn by Harry in Jamaica and Belize during the Diamond Jubilee tour. One was in a light tan shade, and the other a stone colour. Why didn't Harry bring them on this tour? They would have been ideal. Richard Palmer said the sweat was running off Harry the other day. I think this man needs a stylist and one of his father's valets.

Last edited:
He might have to fly to Granada. Oh, eya, no more seasickness in Harry's cabin for a while for you!

There was the Meghan honeymoon thing by PM Browne the papers made a big thing of, and Harry having to join in a minute's silence for Fidel, which they didn't, but apart from that, nothing really. They sped the ship's repairs along so he's pretty well on time for Grenada.

I find the tour becoming somewhat repetitive. Harry's doing his best but the itinerary is stale.

Inspect honour guard, take in nature, play some sports, and the obligatory interacting with children.

Plus there is another week of this. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I agree Rudolph, nothing new and nothing too exciting either.

Last edited:
I agree Rudolph, nothing new and nothing too exciting either.

I would imagine that by now it is perhaps starting to take a toll on Harry with doing the same things over and over again each place he goes but I'm sure that he realizes that for the communities of each place, its new and special for them and that's what he keeps at the forefront of his mind. If anyone can find reasons to be outgoing and friendly and enjoy where he is regardless how much he'd rather be somewhere else, its Harry. He's really a "make the best of where you are" kind of a person.

The people of each island Harry's been to have been glad to see him and have greeted him warmly. It's not stale to them and he puts his best food forward each time. He's had some good repartee with the crowds, stopped to greet children in the rain when he needn't have, and still looks as if he's enjoying it all and is interested, as with the coral preservation project.

The St Lucia Times take on Harry's visit!

https://stluciatimes.com/2016/11/28/sandals-hosts-fun-prince-second-time#

Last edited:
I would imagine that by now it is perhaps starting to take a toll on Harry with doing the same things over and over again each place he goes but I'm sure that he realizes that for the communities of each place, its new and special for them and that's what he keeps at the forefront of his mind. If anyone can find reasons to be outgoing and friendly and enjoy where he is regardless how much he'd rather be somewhere else, its Harry. He's really a "make the best of where you are" kind of a person.

Good points Osipi and IMHO most royal goodwill tours are very similar to this one. And as Curryong pointed out the various nations issue the invitations and create the itinerary to showcase highlights and areas of need in their countries. The royals receive the invitations and can adapt to the itinerary to meet with local representatives of their patronages or military units. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom