Prince Harry: Official Visit to the Caribbean - November 20-December 4, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When looking at royal tours in this respect and seeing how they can be very repetitious and each day seems like the day before with the same things going on with just different people, it really makes you shake your head at the thinking of "commentators" and "observers" that see these tours as "royal vacations to a warm climate" kind of thinking. It actually, for the most part, is work on the royal's part and dagnabit, Harry does always look like he's having the time of his life doesn't he? :D

Last edited:
Off topic, sorry, but there is an excellent and very interesting article in the Financial Times (behind a paywall) that discusses the Knauf effect, the BRF's younger members' complaints about the Press and Jason comments on the relationship with the print media from St Lucia. However, I haven't got a subscription and I can't find the Royals and the Media thread on here, so I'm stuck!

Hope the rain clears and we get some nature photos. I don't get the whole this tour is boring or repetitive. Not only should we remember that the itinerary is planned by the country but each tour has a goal. This isn't a simple good will. Harry is there to promote the new wildlife initiatives being started in the queen's name. So yes, there are a lot of nature visits, as that is the intention of the trip. I for one am enjoying seeing the wildlife and it seems so is Harry.

While this is definitely work and not a holiday. I think this is just the kind of tour he loves. Playing sports, meeting kids. Getting hands on with turtles. Definitely more interactive then say some of his brothers trips. And far more exciting to watch, where the Canadian tour other than the kids, the most interesting part was figuring out what Kate wore.

A tour with no female on the tour to clothes watch, which still draws attention, is good by me. :flowers:

Last edited:
I agree, and the next few days, with the opening of hospital buildings, a spectacular concert, a visit to a ranch helping troubled youth, a visit to a fantastic waterfall, a village in the hinterland of Guyana involving a hike, are also very different activities. I think Harry's done very well. A solo tour involves different skills and Harry has proved himself with the crowds that have turned out.

I enjoy seeing the fashion that royal women wear on tours, so those tours are always a little more exciting to me.

I find the tour becoming somewhat repetitive. Harry's doing his best but the itinerary is stale.

Inspect honour guard, take in nature, play some sports, and the obligatory interacting with children.

Plus there is another week of this. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Yeah, I have to agree that the tour has become a little boring and repetitive. Unfortunately that's what happens during the longer tours. Having said that, Harry seems to be making the most of it and I'm sure the people he's meeting are excited.

Last edited:
Although I didn't care much for the some of the wording in the article from the Express, it does give some insight into what the future may hold for Harry. We have to remember that these are not "gospel" truths from Harry himself and only from an aide, it does have a ring of possibility to it.

With a situation like Harry was faced with as they asked for a moment of silence for Fidel Castro, I think Harry handled it as best that he could. Kind of like "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" kind of thing.

Castro may not have been respected or liked by the way he lived his life and his actions towards the people and his country, but every life is precious.

Interesting in view of what we often speak about on the Future of the Monarchy thread: In an Express article, Richard Palmer is quoting an aide of the Prince's and commenting on the relatively large chunk of time he has spent on this tour officially repping for the Queen. Then Palmer quotes "He thinks he can do these more formal duties on behalf of the Queen while retaining an authenticity in his work meeting a wide range of people from leaders down to young people,” the aide said.

Meaning, Harry sees the official/ceremonial role as somehow less authentic. I wonder how authentic Rihanna will be? :lol:

Palmer's not quoting Harry directly though, only an aide, and even then Richard's paraphrasing. I think it's Palmer/the aide's rather clumsy way of saying that Harry really likes meeting all kinds of people and interacting with them, (as we've seen on this tour) but is getting more practised and at ease with the formalities of meeting Governor Generals, inspecting troops and conducting Investitures on behalf of Her Majesty. Harry's done quite a few of the latter on this tour.

I'm my opinion he has excelled on this trip and should do more of these types of "meet the people" trips. I know the Norwegian CP and QMII are good at making tours of local towns. Perhaps Harry can implement this when he returns to the UK.

I believe he is the most down to earth, natural and engaging royal. It is really a gift. Most royals aren't this way.
It is a pity that neither William and Kate possess this gift.

more from today
Prince Harry - "Our countries have a shared history, shared values and an affection which continues to bind us."
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyifAakXUBATP-n.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyiSelwXcAAKV4K.jpg

"Prince Philip and I send our warmest wishes to the Government and the people of Barbados" - Prince Harry, reading The Queen's message
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cyie6_gXUAoxAaB.jpg
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/804065701388570626

Read the full message from The Queen to the people of Barbados in the nation's 50th year of Independence
https://www.royal.uk/message-her-majesty-queen-people-barbados-50th-anniversary-independance

and meeting Rihanna
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyiXTutXgAA3SxN.jpg

I'm my opinion he has excelled on this trip and should do more of these types of "meet the people" trips. I know the Norwegian CP and QMII are good at making tours of local towns. Perhaps Harry can implement this when he returns to the UK.

I believe he is the most down to earth, natural and engaging royal. It is really a gift. Most royals aren't this way.
It is a pity that neither William and Kate possess this gift.

Actually, I think William, Kate and Harry balance each other out quite a bit. William does seem to be a very charming person meeting the people but he also has that reserve that will serve him well with being a monarch. The seriousness of the job and what he does will show the difference between William, the man and William, the PoW or monarch. Kate actually has all the markings of being a caring, warm consort and gives the aura of a team when she's alongside William. With Harry being so open and outgoing, those that meet him as he represents his Queen or, in the future, his father and his brother are definitely not going to be disappointed in who they got.

I do agree that the statement about Harry getting more familiar and at ease with doing the "official" side of royal duties as Prince Henry of Wales and being more at ease with them just means that with practice, comes confidence.

Thanks Alisa. The lightbulb just went off in my head as I read your statement how easily public "meet and greets" are for Queen Margrethe and how personable she is. In this regard, Margrethe and Harry are very much alike and thanks for pointing that out. I love "Queen Daisy".

Last edited:
Actually, I think William, Kate and Harry balance each other out quite a bit. William does seem to be a very charming person meeting the people but he also has that reserve that will serve him well with being a monarch. The seriousness of the job and what he does will show the difference between William, the man and William, the PoW or monarch. Kate actually has all the markings of being a caring, warm consort and gives the aura of a team when she's alongside William. With Harry being so open and outgoing, those that meet him as he represents his Queen or, in the future, his father and his brother are definitely not going to be disappointed in who they got.

I do agree that the statement about Harry getting more familiar and at ease with doing the "official" side of royal duties as Prince Henry of Wales and being more at ease with them just means that with practice, comes confidence.

Thanks Alisa. The lightbulb just went off in my head as I read your statement how easily public "meet and greets" are for Queen Margrethe and how personable she is. In this regard, Margrethe and Harry are very much alike and thanks for pointing that out. I love "Queen Daisy".

An excellent assessment of the strengths that the Cambridges and Harry bring to the table when representing QEII at home and abroad.

Last edited:
A huge moment in the history of the country. And great Harry is there to help celebrate :flowers:

God she is gorgeous. Highlight of this tour for me because of her :lol:

She is stunning and super talented too!

Last edited:
Great to see both Harry and Rihanna out at the event. While it was important in London, such a message is even more heavily needed in countries like Barbados. For young men in that country to see a prince and a celebrity taking it in front of cameras, sends a good message:flowers:

I love the pictures from the hospital and with him with th horse at the ranch too.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom