Prince Harry Leaving the Army (June 2015): What will he do now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew the knives would come out for Harry when he took the decision to leave the Army and take some time deciding what he wants to do next, but I genuinely did not think it would start literally the day after the announcement was made.

This is an interesting example of how little we really know about the royals and their intentions. I've read multiple times on this board that Harry would obviously be a career soldier, spend a good 20-25 years in service much like his uncle Andrew. Goes to show that we know pretty much nothing.

:previous: People who leave a career usually have a fair idea what they intend to do next at the time they give notice to their employer. Harry has had plenty of time to think about what he's going to do next; he doesn't - or shouldn't - need to take a gap year or half year or any other special period to allow him to do so. And neither did his brother. Unless they are both so dim they can't think about more than one thing at once, and, though neither of them gives any indication of being Mensa material, they are obviously of at least average intelligence and should both have been able to work out what they wanted to do next with their lives while still engaged in their previous jobs. That's what most people do.

These two men are not, however, "most people"; they are filthy rich and privileged and can take long breaks to pfaff around indulging their whims while they decide what to do next with their lives. If that's what Harry's doing, he doesn't deserve to be criticised for it, but neither does he deserve any particular credit for it, nor any indulgence or excuses made for him; he is merely exercising one of the perks of his position.

As for people expecting him to have made a career of the army, we have been led to believe that was what he wanted and was planning on doing so we can be forgiven for believing that would in fact be the case. I find it somewhat surprising that it hadn't apparently occurred to him before now that his time doing the things he liked about the armed forces - the adventure stuff - would have a shelf life and that his career would have to take a turn towards more sedate things he might not have either a talent or desire for. I would have thought he would have had a long-term plan for his future.

Last edited:
I happen to think Harry is trying to create a stable and calm life for himself, so he can find a nice girlfriend to form a relationship with.

I reject the idea that Harry will skip over royal duties. He really have no choice but to step up his official duties, once he's no longer active in the military.
Erm, William didn't. After months of no show we were told he was joining EAAA after he had completed the requisite training and passed. I assume he either has done so or almost nearly done so. Either way, he didn't significantly increase his royal duties.

I believe that Harry's job prospects in the Army had changed for many reasons, not least politically. However, as a great surprise to everyone who thought he needed to take off his shoes to count past 10, Harry's crowning achievements thus far have been proving isn't dumb by qualifying to fly an Apache, and surprising everyone with his ongoing commitment to military veterans culminating in the inception and the great success of the Invictus Games.

I believe the answer to Harry's reasons for leaving the Army lie in these achievements. Even as a serving member, Harry's commitment to UK veterans IMO, started him on a road he had never considered. He has Sentable and that is admirable. It is also an "expected" type of royal patronage. But finding such an incredible need in his own country in the rehabilitation of Veterans seems to have given him a real sense of purpose.

The Invictus Games, while under the 'The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry and the Ministry of Defence' umbrella, relied on Harry's personal commitment and Charisma to get off the ground.

I wonder how much these two very diverse needs have inspired him to step out of the expected "groove" he was in and decide to leave the Army. I don't expect him to be in our faces from the moment he leaves the Army, after all, neither was his father while he built The Princes Trust into just one of The Princes Charities.

Unlike many, I don't expect to see a lot of him initially as whatever he does, he has got to get started and he can't do that while "performing" for us. I don't expect him to become "Holiday Harry", nor do I expect him to punch a time clock. I don't expect him to fail!

I look forward to seeing what he is going to become.

I believe the answer to Harry's reasons for leaving the Army lie in these achievements. Even as a serving member, Harry's commitment to UK veterans IMO, started him on a road he had never considered. He has Sentable and that is admirable. It is also an "expected" type of royal patronage. But finding such an incredible need in his own country in the rehabilitation of Veterans seems to have given him a real sense of purpose.

Yep. I don't really believe he had no plans when he resigned; I am sure he has been mulling it over and planning the direction he would move toward in his life. At some stage he would have realised there was a limit to how far he could progress in the army. But his service has given him an impressive range of skills, including leadership and organisational skills, and he has shown personal initiative and a sense of purpose and dedication by his involvement with Sentable and the Invictus Games and Walking for the Wounded. He is a hands-on type, and has immense charisma and has enormous potential to do great things.

:previous: People who leave a career usually have a fair idea what they intend to do next at the time they give notice to their employer. Harry has had plenty of time to think about what he's going to do next; he doesn't - or shouldn't - need to take a gap year or half year or any other special period to allow him to do so. And neither did his brother. Unless they are both so dim they can't think about more than one thing at once, and, though neither of them gives any indication of being Mensa material, they are obviously of at least average intelligence and should both have been able to work out what they wanted to do next with their lives while still engaged in their previous jobs. That's what most people do.

These two men are not, however, "most people"; they are filthy rich and privileged and can take long breaks to pfaff around indulging their whims while they decide what to do next with their lives. That's what Harry's doing. He doesn't deserve to be criticised for it, but neither does he deserve any particular credit for it, nor any indulgence or excuses made for him; he is merely exercising one of the perks of his position.

As for people expecting him to have made a career of the army, we have been led to believe that was what he wanted and was planning on doing so we can be forgiven for believing that would in fact be the case. I find it somewhat surprising that it hadn't apparently occurred to him before now that his time doing the things he liked about the armed forces - the adventure stuff - would have a shelf life and that his career would have to take a turn towards more sedate things he might not have either a talent or desire for. I would have thought he would have had a long-term plan for his future, but it seems not.

Most people will find the new job first before quitting the old job. Even though Harry had the privilege to do the reverse, from a PR point, he shouldn't do so. Especially, his brother's precedence had already brought a lot of accusation. There is no excuse for Harry to do the same thing again. The Palace had spent so much money on PR, they couldn't figure out such a simple fact.

Actually I don't think any one would order him to do the desk job even he chooses to stay. Before he finds out his next destination, he can still stay in the army and do some charity work for the benefit of injured service men and women, which he obviously is going to continue on.

I knew the knives would come out for Harry when he took the decision to leave the Army and take some time deciding what he wants to do next, but I genuinely did not think it would start literally the day after the announcement was made.

This is an interesting example of how little we really know about the royals and their intentions. I've read multiple times on this board that Harry would obviously be a career soldier, spend a good 20-25 years in service much like his uncle Andrew. Goes to show that we know pretty much nothing.

I totally agree with your post, PetticoatLane. There were apparently knives out in the Daily Fail comments section. What else is new, though some posters stood up for him.

I think Harry may well have been mulling this over for quite some time, perhaps talking it over with his father and with army friends. We don't know what went on, and the decision appears to have been as much a surprise to royal correspondents (who are supposed to have insider knowledge but don't) as everyone else.

I do have faith in Harry, and believe that things will work out for him in the long run. There may be all sorts of plans and projects germinating at the moment of which we know nothing.

I agree and it also demonstrates that they really don't make their decisions based on the potential for criticism. Based on William's experience, Harry knew he would be criticized for not providing a detailed explanation for his next career, but the potential criticism didn't change his decision. I am confident that Harry will find a role that he'll find meaningful and fulfilling.

As far as George's 2nd birthday is concerned, I would think it would be more plausible that Harry would use the second best thing to being there... video chat via Skype or such. I don't see him flying back to the UK for the occasion though.

I really, really doubt Harry will Skype George for his Birthday. He will probably FedEx a gift from Africa, or have one of his staff in London pick out a gift and drop it off. That's about it.

He will also likely miss baby Cambridge's Christening. Not that he would of been made a godfather anyways. At least we won't have to listen to the media squawk about the great-aunts and great-uncles not being invited, when Uncle Haz is a no-show.

What now for Harry? Roles, Duties, Patronages.

Looks like Harry will be joining William as a Royal Colonel

Prince Harry set to guard the Queen, his grandmother, as Royal Colonel after Army retiring | Royal | News | Daily Express
Captain Wales, an air controller and Apache gunship helicopter pilot for the past 10 years, has been listed to replace Field Marshal the Lord Guthrie of Craigiebank when he retires as Colonel of the Life Guards.

The move is expected within 18 months but has to be officially sanctioned by the Queen on the recommendation of the Army Board.

He already boasts a military pedigree in the Household Cavalry and will be one of a clutch of Royal Colonels in the Honour Guard for the Monarch at the Trooping the Colour ceremony.

And what crap is this?!!!:bang:
GIRL ABOUT TOWN: Is Harry set to emigrate Down Under? | Daily Mail Online

What's the bet that Abbot is paving the way for yet another English royal to get something they don't need or deserve at Australia's and Australian's expense? Looking for a cushy job down under is he?

I doubt very much that Harry will be getting any job in Australia with or without Abbott's help. Why should he? His life's in Britain with his family.Harry will be serving on assignment for a few weeks, probably enjoying the climate and friendly Aussies and then will be off to Africa.

Within expectation. Harry, although a very humble guy, never hesitated to give highest compliment to his mother.

18 years old: "My mother had more guts than anybody. I want to carry on the things she didn't finish."

10 year anniversary: "She put everybody first and herself very much last and she was the most caring person. Very caring, so sweet and I think very much missed not only by us but by a lot of people. And I think that's all that needs to be said, really."

And you see what are the main charities he is doing. Aids and people (service man and woman) losing limbs.

I really hope he gets to do all the things he wants to do. A very loving son

Interesting numbers. 64 percent of people think Harry should have a regular job in addition to royal duties.
Majority of Britons say Prince Harry should get another 'ordinary' job

This, say 64%, should be combined with his official royal duties

I'd love to know how many people voted, was it a "real" poll or just a DF "click" job. Either way that should really read "Majority of those who voted" say Harry should get another ordinary job. This, say 64% of that poll, should be combined with his official duties.

But let's face it, Cressida Bonas used the celebrity of being Harry's "girlfriend" to further her career, while both Beatrice and Eugenie find it difficult to have an "ordinary" job in the UK, being the default "Royals" when everyone else is unavailable for "news/scandal/speculation".

So, just what job is Harry qualified for? Probably more than we think but you can bet your last dollar that if he did gain "ordinary employment" within months, if not weeks, he would be accused of "using the BRF" to further his "Career".

And, of course, thank you very much to the Daily Fail for once again making his mother his raison d'être. Harry is a mature man and has been exposed to and involved in charity work his entire life. That it should factor into his future is hardly surprising.

As to a second gap year? Well just because William had one doesn't mean Harry will. So long as he doesn't "disappear from view" as William did and their PR people keep everyone informed on what he is doing, it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
The poll indicates, however, that what William is doing is likely exactly what the British people want him to do - combining his royal duties with an actual difficult job. I'd bet good money if you asked the public would you prefer him to do that or to become a full-time 'working' royal there would be no contest.

The vitriol from Australian posters towards Harry suggests to me he just shouldn't go. Doesn't seem he'll get much of a warm welcome anyway. Just stay at home Harry, why bother?

The poll indicates, however, that what William is doing is likely exactly what the British people want him to do - combining his royal duties with an actual difficult job. I'd bet good money if you asked the public would you prefer him to do that or to become a full-time 'working' royal there would be no contest.

The vitriol from Australian posters towards Harry suggests to me he just shouldn't go. Doesn't seem he'll get much of a warm welcome anyway. Just stay at home Harry, why bother?

Hey I'm an Aussie and I want him to come. Forget about the others
He will get a very warm welcome

There is a difference between him coming here at his own expense or that of the British government and spending a bit of time here to staying here permanently. I am not sure he would actually meet the immigration requirements to come here - no family, no usable skills (we don't really need helicopter pilots and he has no other skills - no trade and no university qualifications).

He is welcome for a holiday but not permanently or in any official capacity. For those roles we want Aussies and those committed to Australia - not those who actively campaign against Australia and Australian interests as Harry and his family do.

There is a difference between him coming here at his own expense or that of the British government and spending a bit of time here to staying here permanently. I am not sure he would actually meet the immigration requirements to come here - no family, no usable skills (we don't really need helicopter pilots and he has no other skills - no trade and no university qualifications).

He is welcome for a holiday but not permanently or in any official capacity. For those roles we want Aussies and those committed to Australia - not those who actively campaign against Australia and Australian interests as Harry and his family do.

Well, I say Iluvbertie, again you take the words right out of my mouth!:cheers:

Just 2 months ago on this very thread Harry's supporters were saying the best thing for him was to stay in the Army. Harry was getting promoted to Major and eventually command the Household Cavalry. A soldier-prince.

My how things change. The same people have done a 180 and now the best thing for Harry is to leave the Army. It wasn't for him.

As many reporters on Twitter have pointed out this is a transitional year for Harry or as the tabloids like to say a gap year. Harry will undertake some occasional royal duties, volunteer, do some travelling and perhaps next year look for more permanent employment.

I hope he does get a job because Harry + too much time on his hands = disaster

Are there any reports or information on the Prince's current events/engagements in, say, the past week, or month? The things mentioned here seem to be way in the future...

In that case, I take it back. The entire BRF, not just Harry, no point visiting Australia again. You and your 'campaign' against Australia are clearly unwelcome.

I doubt very, very much Harry would want to emigrate to Australia anyway tbh. Too far away from everything.

I'm one who is disappointed to see him leaving the Army. I also share your concerns re Harry's future activities.

Just 2 months ago on this very thread Harry's supporters were saying the best thing for him was to stay in the Army. Harry was getting promoted to Major and eventually command the Household Cavalry. A soldier-prince. ...I hope he does get a job because Harry + too much time on his hands = disaster

I hate to bring up a political discussion here, but are the Aussies becoming a bit like the Scots? Hold a referendum, decide to stay in the Union / keep the Queen as head of state. At that point, the matter should be over for a generation. Yet the endless carping just continues....

Last edited:
I for one would be DELIGHTED if we jettisoned Australia as one of the realms..

As you say Muriel they do NOTHING but moan..

Ok, just my 2 cents here. I was surprised by the announcement of him leaving the army and the consequent "gap year"... I think it must be painful for him but I quite saw it coming after the "Invictus" games... I'm waiting to see what he is up next...

What buffles me is that (since there are some posts quoting "Harry's supporters" as something bad) while William was fiercely defensed when he was criticized for his gap years, Harry seems not allowed to be defended.

William's pr was pretty bad but this isn't an excuse. The path was the following: flying/part time job- ga year (everyone expecting him to be full time) and then.... back to flying! But hey, he was promptly defensed and excused:

he is youmg, he can spend time with his family, he is not king yet, he will do a lot fo other people instead of cutting ribbons.

Harry, on the other hand, cannot have the same excuses. But instead he can do nothing besides military life, someone even calling him a disaster!

Franky I would be more amaze at William for his gap year who will be King, than Harry who won't and will be quite irrelevant in the future of the monarchy. It really seems to me that some posters feel like doing their best to have a cat fight over William vs Harry... Just saying...

And yes, I compared the two of them because if someone was so desperate to defend William for his gap year, the same should be done for Harry. But for some William will always be the good guy, who cannot be blamed, while Harry is the black sheep.

Somtimes, I think some people are only jealous of Harry's increasing popularity. Rant over.

I defended William's gap year and am happy to defend Harry's. I see no need to trash Harry to make William look better, or vice versa. So long as the taxpayer is not directly funding them I, like I suspect the vast majority of my fellow countrymen and women, don't really care what they do day to day so long as it's vaguely useful.

William has been slaughtered, both in the media and these boards, for taking time to decide his next steps. Be in no doubt that he's had it easy. Yet, he is still voted the most popular member of the family on a regular basis, alternating with Harry and HM. The crisis over William was totally overblown and I have no doubt the crisis over Harry will be similarly overstated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom