Prince Harry Leaving the Army (June 2015): What will he do now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like charity work and official duties will be Harry's focus from now on.

I imagine it was a hard decision for Harry. He seemed to really enjoy the military.

It says that when he comes back from Africa, he'll be taking a voluntary job with the Ministry of Defence and considering his options. According to Richard Palmer, Harry's not yet ready to become a full-time royal, so it will be interesting to see what he ends up doing.

Another article about Harry's decision.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...Harry-WILL-leave-Army-summer-return-volunteer

Last edited:
Prince Harry looking for a full-time job after making 'tough' decision to leave Army - Telegraph
Prince Harry is looking for a full-time job after making the “really tough” decision to leave the Army.

Speaking for the first time about his choice to bring his active military career to an end, he said he had reached a “crossroads” and was looking forward to starting a “new chapter” in his life.

Kensington Palace confirmed that the Prince, 30, will end his ten-year military career in June, after which he will be “actively considering other longer term employment opportunities”.

A source close to the Prince said his options were “wide and varied” but he was likely to look for a role with a charity or “in some form of public service”, following the example of his brother, the Duke of Cambridge, who has taken a job as an air ambulance pilot after leaving the RAF.

“The one thing he won’t be doing is full-time royal duties,” said the source, “but he will continue to fulfil royal engagements as and when he is asked to.”

I am sure he has some potential roles lined up. I am sure this is a decision he has though through properly. All the best to him in his new life.

If Harry had been in deep disgrace over the Vegas debacle he wouldn't have been allowed to serve in Afghanistan.

I think he's a people person and admin desk jobs just aren't his forte. I'm sure he will continue with Sentable and his work with wounded warriors which he does so well.

Other projects will come up and he will still be performing some royal duties. Harry's a popular and charismatic member of the royal family and people respond to his warmth. I'm sure he'll do well in the future.

I wouldn't say flying Apaches is a 'young mans game' ...the military has pilots flying combat helicopters well over the age Harry is. I'd say that the biggest factor in his decision to leave is his inability to serve without causing risk to his fellow soldiers due to who he is...and he doesn't seem like the type to be happy with a desk job.

LaRae

It seems Prince Harry will do a voluntary job in the field of charity work in Africa for several months.

Last edited:
He's only going to be in Africa for a few months (June - August). He'll be back in London in September.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is he coming here? Isn't there somewhere else he can go for a few weeks' holiday under the guise of "secondment"? There must still be some Realms he hasn't bludged off in his life. After Abbott made his grandpa an Australian Knight, I suppose he thought we were a sure thing.

He is leaving in April for Australia.
Anyone else thinks Harry doesn't want to be around when all the fuss and attention is focused on Kate, William and new baby. :lol:

Uncle Harry missing George's 2nd birthday.

He's in in April because that's when he's time starts it's got nothing to do with the new baby. What rot,truly is this kick Harry week ?
Missing his nephews birthday.. Big deal didn't Charles missed George's 1st birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I happen to think Harry is trying to create a stable and calm life for himself, so he can find a nice girlfriend to form a relationship with.

I reject the idea that Harry will skip over royal duties. He really have no choice but to step up his official duties, once he's no longer active in the military.

Last edited:
As he is leaving the army in June why is the army even bothering - this is a waste of the taxpayers money both here and in the UK. This secondment should be going to someone who will actually be able to use the experience not to someone who will barely have time to write a report on their experience before they are out of the army.

As he is leaving the army in June why is the army even bothering - this is a waste of the taxpayers money both here and in the UK. This secondment should be going to someone who will actually be able to use the experience not to someone who will barely have time to write a report on their experience before they are out of the army.

We don't know what he will be doing and he will be dealing with army people in his future roles so who knows what it's going to entail

My only question is, why he is so urgent to quit. He can find a new job first and then quit the old job. That is what people usually do. And in this case, it would have much better PR. I don't think the Army will force him to quit.

My only question is, why he is so urgent to quit. He can find a new job first and then quit the old job. That is what people usually do. And in this case, it would have much better PR. I don't think the Army will force him to quit.

I don't think he has real any role and would have to move on to a desk job. I have faith he is doing the right thing ?

I don't think he has real any role and would have to move on to a desk job. I have faith he is doing the right thing ?

I have faith too. But I am just curious of the reason. Doing desk job might be dull, but still some form of experience. And his statement says he is going to look for a new job. Even though he will come back to Britain in September, he will be still jobless. Without a new job, and quit the old job. In this case, you can not blame people to be cynical.

I have faith too. But I am just curious of the reason. Doing desk job might be dull, but still some form of experience. And his statement says he is going to look for a new job. Even though he will come back to Britain in September, he will be still jobless. Without a new job, and quit the old job. In this case, you can not blame people to be cynical.

I think there's a plan that we don't know about. Both William and Harry have to be ready to step up at any time. Anyway we shall see

I think there's a plan that we don't know about. Both William and Harry have to be ready to step up at any time. Anyway we shall see

I agree, there is probably a plan in place, and it has not been communicated just yet.

I agree, there is probably a plan in place, and it has not been communicated just yet.

There are probably many avenues that Harry needs to take time and explore and decide just where to concentrate his efforts. It may take him some time to decide exactly where he wants to be and what he wants to concentrate on doing. Perhaps its wiser to take the time now to make the decision rather than just jump into something in haste.

He's already got a tour on the books as after he finishes his secondment in Australia, he'll be doing a royal tour of New Zealand. Personally, I think its great that both Harry and William are not only doing royal duties but also getting into public service.

I like the referral that Harry is a justly popular and likeable young Jack the Lad. This is the first time I have heard this referral.
Would Henry be able to take a leave of absence from Australia for Prince George's birthday and then fly back to Australia?

Would Henry be able to take a leave of absence from Australia for Prince George's birthday and then fly back to Australia?

:ROFLMAO: That's a good one!

:hmm: Though maybe you weren't joking. Do you realise how far away we are from England and how long it takes to fly there?

Last edited:

I like the referral that Harry is a justly popular and likeable young Jack the Lad. This is the first time I have heard this referral.

Harry will be in Africa in July, so he would be flying from there. He'll be in Australia from April - May.

But even if he were in Australia during that time, I don't think the distance would hinder him going back to London for George's birthday (or any other personal reason). I mean, he'll be flying to Turkey during his stay in Australia and that's a pretty long distance.

But even if he were in Australia during that time, I don't think the distance would hinder him going back to London for George's birthday (or any other personal reason). I mean, he'll be flying to Turkey during his stay in Australia and that's a pretty long distance.

The Gallipoli trip is an official duty though. If he is transferred somewhere overseas for work purposes - somewhere so far away it takes about 24 hours to fly there one way - for only a few weeks, I would like to think that the only personal reason he would fly home would be something important such as the death of a close relative, not the birthday of a two year old child.

People have different priorities though. His nephew's birthday may be something that is important to him. But since he won't be in Australia during George's birthday, we'll never really know what he would have done.

Last edited:
I can imagine Harry would go down well at George's birthday party but realistically, he is not going to waste an awful lot of time and money flying across the world and back to spend a couple of hours with a kid blowing bubbles regardless of how cute he is.

I understand the children's birthdays are a big deal these days and I cannot, for the life of me, understand how people expend thousands of dollars on these "birthday parties" that are just a big "have" or playgroup "one-upmanship".

My thoughts exactly!!!!:bang:

You are sweet RR. The only way this is palatable to me is if it means Henry is getting ready to marry Chelsy.:whistling:

No wait, No! The secondment should be an opportunity for someone else who is deserving of it and will actually use it!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as George's 2nd birthday is concerned, I would think it would be more plausible that Harry would use the second best thing to being there... video chat via Skype or such. I don't see him flying back to the UK for the occasion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom