Prince Harry: Future Wedding

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
American here, what is a bank holiday?

Last edited by a moderator:
A Bank Holiday is a day when banks close for the day, a designated public holiday and a leftover from days when the population didn't get as many breaks from work through the year as they do now.
I can only remember (baking hot) August Bank Holidays when I was a child, but I'm sure there were more!

Last edited:
Completely. According to recent polls - Harry is the most popular royal aside from HMQ. The worldwide attention alone - especially from the US - warrants something different than Ed/Sophie - not to mention, Harry plans to continue being a full time royal, which Ed/Sophie did not.

I'll repeat a question someone else had - did Anne and Andrew have bank holidays declared when they married?

I would hope the British royal family doesn't take American interest into account in deciding anything other than how to properly cater to the media so they won't become a burden. It is a British royal wedding and therefore, only the British and other Commonwealth nation's interest are really relevant. I am quite sure the wedding will be televised independent of the church they choose to get married in (and approved by the Queen), so location shouldn't matter for Americans watching it from oversees. I am sure they also won't change the hour of the church service just so the Americans can watch it at a convenient time. Those importamt to Meghan will be with her in London; anyone else can watch it at their own time.

That is basically it in a nutshell. When it comes to a British royal wedding, the public and the media is the *last* to be considered. If the British public won't even be given a bank holiday for Harry's wedding, foreign public and/or media will be even lower on the consideration scale concerning the event.

I was quite content to pull an all nighter to be able to catch William and Kate's wedding and all things leading up to it in the wee hours of the morning. I don't expect to do anything different for Harry's.

Other than Harry and Meghan and their families, no one else has any kind of a pull when planning their wedding. That's just the cold, hard facts of it. We go along with what they decide rather than dictate what should be. :D

I hope the Obamas and Bidens get invited, but I don't see it.

I really want Harry and Meghan to have a lovely wedding, in Westminster, with all the pomp and circumstance.

I really want Harry and Meghan to have a lovely wedding, in Westminster, with all the pomp and circumstance.

I really want an Abbey wedding too but if that's somehow against protocol or seen as being in competition with Kate/William's wedding then I don't want that for Meghan either... neither do I want it to see like they are hiding her away either.

Ugh. Conundrum, lol.

I hope at the very least we get the ride to the church with the streets lined with people waving flags and then the open carriage ride back and then a balcony kiss. I'd be very sad if those things didn't happen.

I hope the Obamas and Bidens get invited, but I don't see it.

Why wouldn't they be invited? Harry seems to have built a genuine relationship with them, especially the Obamas. At this point, I would be surprised if they didn't attend Harry's wedding.

As for the wedding itself, I'm still partial to a scaled-down affair at WA, as I would love to see a balcony kiss at the end.

Its a given though that if Harry and the Obamas have formed their own personal friendship, there is absolutely no reason why Harry wouldn't invite them to his wedding. It's his wedding and his family and his friends that he'll invite. The same goes for Meghan and those that are close to her.

This thread has had a clean-up. A number of posts that ignored the Mod notes have been deleted and further action will be taken if future Mod notes are ignored.

A large number of posts discussing jewellery have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f132/tiaras-and-jewels-for-prince-harrys-future-wife-1862.html thread.

Please remember that Prince Harry is not yet engaged. If and when that happens, threads will be opened at that time to discuss the engagement and details of the wedding, including the wedding dress, fashion, bridesmaids and other subjects related to the Wedding and his then fiancee.

In the meantime, lets stay on topic here.

Anne and William both had bank holidays.
Andrew and Edward did not.

I'm surprised about Anne and Andrew though. I know that at the time of his wedding, Edward wasn't a full time royal, and I don't think there were expectations that he and his wife would be. So a televised wedding at St. George's without a bank holiday made sense.

This day and age, I don't think Harry will get a bank holiday, although I wouldn't rule out WA completely as he is a very high profile royal and one of the only two sons of the next king. We won't have a true royal wedding until George and Charlotte, which I wouldn't expect for another twenty years.

:previous:

Both Anne and Andrew were married on a Wednesday and there was NO Bank Holiday. I was working so I remember.

William had a bank holiday which was tagged onto an existing long weekend (May Bank holiday)

Definitely no bank holiday and I was fed up cos I wanted to watch it and couldnt get the day off!

I thought Andrew got married on 23/7.

Back on topic - I would be surprised if there is a bank holiday in the UK for Harry.

Definitely no bank holiday and I was fed up cos I wanted to watch it and couldnt get the day off!

I thought Andrew got married on 23/7.

Back on topic - I would be surprised if there is a bank holiday in the UK for Harry.

OK, I checked more sources and they all say Anne had a bank holiday. :flowers:
I don't know; I'm going by what I have read.

Also rechecked Andrew's wedding date: it was on a Wednesday, July 23, 1986.

Last edited:
OK, I checked more sources and they all say Anne had a bank holiday. :flowers:
I don't know; I'm going by what I have read.

Also rechecked Andrew's wedding date: it was on a Wednesday, July 23, 1986.

Fair enough we will just have to disagree.

According to the BBC, Princess Anne's wedding day was "special bank holiday" (source: BBC - History - Princess Anne's wedding (pictures, video, facts & news)).

Andrew's wedding was indeed not a Bank holiday because I remember having to go to school that day annoyed to have missed it.

Edward and Sophie's wedding was not a bank holiday as they got married on a Saturday.

With all this in mind, I don't think Harry's wedding will be a bank holiday either.

If Harry were to marry on a Saturday, wouldn't that remove the need for a 'bank holiday'?
BTW, I have been reading the letters of the Queen Mother and in one letter she reference's Margaret's engagement which was announced 2/26/1960, w/ the wedding occurring less than 3 months later on 5/6/1960. So, in my mind, an announcement in say December could result in a wedding before The Duchess of Cambridge's due date, rather than after.

If i recall correctly, even W&Ks wedding wasn't declared a bank holiday straight away but after the date had been announced and it was clear there was public & media appetite for the wedding. There were still a few moans about the cost of "another bank holiday", lost working hours etc so I don't think they would try and do the same for Harry. I would think he would marry on a Saturday and remove the need for a bank holiday altogether.

If i recall correctly, even W&Ks wedding wasn't declared a bank holiday straight away but after the date had been announced and it was clear there was public & media appetite for the wedding. There were still a few moans about the cost of "another bank holiday", lost working hours etc so I don't think they would try and do the same for Harry. I would think he would marry on a Saturday and remove the need for a bank holiday altogether.

I didn't remember, so checked former news reports: it was declared a bank holiday from the start. On November 19 there were rumours that the prime minister had suggested the day to be a bank holiday and on the 23rd the date was announced including the news that it was to be a bank holiday.

As far as Anne's wedding being a Bank Holiday--she was the first of the Queen's children to marry and it was 1973. Different times.

As far as Anne's wedding being a Bank Holiday--she was the first of the Queen's children to marry and it was 1973. Different times.

:previous:

Absolutely. The same goes for thinking about St. Paul's as a wedding site. That was a very unusual situation (I believe Charles and Diana's was the only royal wedding there. Ever.) that marks a different era in royal pomp and circumstance. For most of the 20th century, up through the late 80s, the thinking in the BRF seemed to be to push towards bigger events, more "spectacle." The two events that feel to me like the climax of that trend were Charles' investiture as Prince of Wales and his wedding to Diana, both of which were events which seemed to be on a scale beyond what the BRF had ever done before for a Prince of Wales. St. Paul's was picked not only to expand the guest list by 15-HUNDRED but also to follow the ceremony with an unusually long carriage procession through the adoring throngs.

Since that wedding, and since Andrew's wedding, the BRF has learned some hard lessons about the highs and lows of royal PR in the modern era. They've also had fundamental course changes regarding the financing of royal activities. The often repeated idea that Charles wants to scale down the BRF may just be a rumor or may be blown out of proportion. But if you just look at the track record of how The Firm has done things since the "Annus Horribilis" there does seem to have been a tempering of approach. They're far from pulling back to pre-20th century levels of royal privacy (for generations prior to that point, the weddings were in smaller chapels like St. James or Windsor, there was nothing public about the the monarch's heir being made PoW, etc.), but they also seem to have decided that they let the pendulum swing too far and that there is a limit on how big public events should be (especially when they aren't centered on the reigning monarch or a truly rare event like a Diamond Jubilee).

I doubt we'll see a St. Paul's royal wedding again in our lifetimes.

Last edited:
Venue

Does anyone think York Minster would be a nice venue for Harry's wedding? I tried to look up the capacity, but I couldn't find it. I believe there was a royal wedding held there previously in the 1960s, the Duchess of Kent maybe? I mean I live in London, but it does seem unfair that London and the south east get all the royal weddings (Anne's second time and Zara aside).

With Harry's wedding, I think just about anything is possible. With Harry not being anywhere near the position of sitting on the throne, I think Harry's wedding will be a totally different one from what William's was and previous royal weddings and that Harry will make it unique in his own way. York Minster or some place that hasn't really been used in recent times would really make a wedding all the more enjoyable and not seem like a repeat of previous weddings and have a "just like" flavor to it.

Does anyone think York Minster would be a nice venue for Harry's wedding? I tried to look up the capacity, but I couldn't find it. I believe there was a royal wedding held there previously in the 1960s, the Duchess of Kent maybe? I mean I live in London, but it does seem unfair that London and the south east get all the royal weddings (Anne's second time and Zara aside).

Yes, The Duke and Duchess of Kent married there.
I thought of York Minster for Beatrice or Eugenie when they marry.

But I was told that the difficulty would be the reception. There's no royal property close enough. (Unless they had it in a hotel or something like that, which seems unlikely).

At St. George's they could have the reception at Windsor Castle; at Westminster Abbey they could have it at Buckingham Palace.

I had thought of York Minster as well! I looked it up and saw some pictures from the Duke and Duchess of Kent's wedding in the 60's. It is really very beautiful. I think it might not work for two reasons. One is, it's really big. So if they were trying to go for smaller (at least smaller than Will and Kate) that might be hard. Secondly as someone else mentioned is the reception. The Duke and Duchess of Kent married there, because her family was from there. They were able to have their reception at her family home. There really isn't anyplace close that could handle a royal reception.

Venue

OK I have found out the capacity and it is 2000, same as WA. So it's not actually bigger. It could be seen as, although the capacity is the same as William's (doesn't mean they have to have 2000, 1200 would still fill it up without it looking half empty), because it is 'provincial' it wouldn't be seen as stealing William's thunder. I'm sure something could be arranged for the reception. Any local Duke, Earl or even just a large hotel would be honoured to help I am sure. If it was a hotel, they might do it just for the publicity, so the royals can't be accused of wasting money.

Harry, if anyone who knows you reads this, we would love you to marry in the Minster, with a carriage ride around York afterwards! Well I would anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom