The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 06:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contessina View Post
It should be Sussexes, no apostrophe (apostrophes only show possesion, abbreviation, or a contraction).

I don't think it will sound like successes. The accent is on the second syllable, whereas in Sussexes, it's on the first.
Correct but in Uk it is pronounced suss six es

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-19-2018, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Yay I like Sussex

Old 05-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Aristocracy

At some point Harry will be way way down the succession list, after any children of George Charlotte and Louis, so passing on his dukedom will not be important in the great scheme of things
Old 05-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

They could do the Scottish thing and make the Scottish title inheritable by women. So if Harry and Meghan only have daughters, Sussex would go extinct, but the eldest daughter would be Countess of Dumbarton. There is definitely precedence in Scotland for that. In fairness they should have to offer Andrew to do the same, so that Bea could inherit her father's earldom at the least.

Honestly they should

1. Make all future titles equal inheritance
2. Make it clear to any peerage who wishes it, that they can appeal to the queen to change the letters patent on their title which she can do, with the assurance she will. So that any old peerage, who wishes their daughter to be able to inherit, can.

Quote:
At some point Harry will be way way down the succession list, after any children of George Charlotte and Louis, so passing on his dukedom will not be important in the great scheme of things
It will be as important as passing on Kent and Gloucester which are much further from the throne now. Wessex. Or any non royal peerage. Its a family legacy, nothing to do with how close to the throne it is.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I'm not surprised; I had originally suspected Sussex. "Duke and Duchess of Sussex" has a great ring to it and I like that they revived an old title. Prince/ss X of Sussex for their future children (if they have any) sounds wonderful.
Yes. One of the reasons I preferred Sussex over Clarence is that Clarence just sounds boring, frankly. Duke and Duchess of Sussex has a nice ring to it, indeed.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
They could do the Scottish thing and make the Scottish title inheritable by women. So if Harry and Meghan only have daughters, Sussex would go extinct, but the eldest daughter would be Countess of Dumbarton. There is definitely precedence in Scotland for that. In fairness they should have to offer Andrew to do the same, so that Bea could inherit her father's earldom at the least.

Honestly they should

1. Make all future titles equal inheritance
2. Make it clear to any peerage who wishes it, that they can appeal to the queen to change the letters patent on their title which she can do, with the assurance she will. So that any old peerage, who wishes their daughter to be able to inherit, can.

Point #1 - I agree wholeheartedly. And if York does go to one of William's children (which I don't think it will), it should be Charlotte not Louis. If Louis gets a hereditary dukedom/earldom/whatever, so should Charlotte. Princess Royal isn't enough. It's technically a style, not a title, and it's not hereditary.

Point #2 - It's not that simple. While the Queen has the power to grant titles to members of the Royal Family, she cannot give titles to non-royals without the advice of her Prime Minister. The same holds true for peerage claims. She must rely on the advice of her Attorney-General. In terms of contentious claims, the Attorney General generally recommends that the monarch refer them to the House of Lords.

Think about it...if the Queen does have the power to alter a title's letters patent, why aren't the peers who DO want their daughters to succeed them appealing to her instead of Parliament?

See, for example, the case of the 8th Earl Fortescue, who only has daughters and isn't happy that his title will go to a male cousin:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...e-8656310.html

I may be wrong, but I'm not even sure the Queen has the power to change letters patent for royal titles once they have been issued. Why else would she ask Charles to create his brother Edward Duke of Edinburgh when he becomes King? Why doesn't she just change the current letters patent and allow Edward to inherit the title when Philip dies instead of Charles? It seems that in order for Edward to become Duke, new letters patent are required and that can only happen when Charles becomes king and his Edinburgh title merges with the Crown.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:28 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie.logie View Post
I can see social media having a lot of fun with Dumbarton. I hope it's pronounced differently to how i'm saying it in my head...
I know..was it really necessary to give him that Dumbarton title. Hopefully no one ever uses it. Harry & Meg will need to stay pure or they will have fun with Sussex as well.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooky929 View Post
I know..was it really necessary to give him that Dumbarton title. Hopefully no one ever uses it. Harry & Meg will need to stay pure or they will have fun with Sussex as well.
I am very surprised and indeed shocked that people who follow royalty have so little knowledge of history. Dumbarton is the village in Ireland where St. Patrick was born and is the name of both an important site in American history https://www.doaks.org/about
and a concerto by Stravinsky.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtahHotep View Post
Princess Henry Of Wales.

That will be Meghan's title.
That would have been Meghan's title if her spouse had not been created the Duke of Sussex.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:02 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
I am very surprised and indeed shocked that people who follow royalty have so little knowledge of history. Dumbarton is the village in Ireland where St. Patrick was born and is the name of both an important site in American history https://www.doaks.org/about

Um... this is not accurate.

Dumbarton is a town in Scotland (following the tradition of the Earldom being a Scottish location), while Harry’s third title is a place in Northern Ireland (Killeel).

St. Patrick, for the record, was not born in Ireland. He was born in Roman Britain - exactly where is unknown - and abducted by Irish pirates at 16. After six years in captivity he escaped and returned to Britain, where he joined the priesthood. He later returned to Ireland as a Christian missionary, where he played a significant role in converting the island.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee27 View Post
I think it still matters however further down the line one is. The current Duke of Gloucester inherited his title from his father, and so did Duke of Kent. And I believe they are still very important members of the BRF.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Um... this is not accurate.

Dumbarton is a town in Scotland (following the tradition of the Earldom being a Scottish location), while Harry’s third title is a place in Northern Ireland (Killeel).

St. Patrick, for the record, was not born in Ireland. He was born in Roman Britain - exactly where is unknown - and abducted by Irish pirates at 16. After six years in captivity he escaped and returned to Britain, where he joined the priesthood. He later returned to Ireland as a Christian missionary, where he played a significant role in converting the island.
There is an unsubstantiated tradition that St. Patrick was born in Dumbarton, Scotland. I suspect gerry meant to say Scotland instead of Ireland.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
There is an unsubstantiated tradition that St. Patrick was born in Dumbarton, Scotland. I suspect gerry meant to say Scotland instead of Ireland.
Indeed, thank you!
Old 05-19-2018, 10:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
Dumbarton Oaks is the name of a manor house/estate in the Washington, DC area (probably named after the original place in Scotland). FWIW, Stravinsky’s Dumbarton Oaks was first performed at that house, thus the name.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Indeed it is. The estate of Dumbarton oaks was built on land granted by Queen Anne to a colonial governor named Beall. Beall named the land grant after his home in Scotland 'the rock of Dumbarton'. It refers to the rock that Dumbarton castle is built on. The estate was built on this land grant and was named after it.

The home was later owned by the Bliss family. In 1913 Mildred Bliss commissioned Stravinski to compose a concerto to celebrate their 30th anniversary. The piece was named in honor of their home, and was first performed in the music room there.

Should be noted the 1st earl of Dumbarton supported James II, and when James went into exile, so did the 1st earl. His son was only one at the time, and was raised at the exiled court and died on the continent. The 1st earl's wife Anne was a sister of Catherine Wheatley. Catherine was the 1st wife of George Fitzroy, Duke of Northumberland, the son of Charles II and Barbara Palmer.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:08 AM
Nobility

Just a little reminder

Yes Prince Harry is now 6th in the line of succession and he will fall further down in the event that William has more children. Yet George is 5, Charlotte is 3 and Louis is just a couple of days old. For all practical purpose for at least the next 20 to 25 years before the children come of age and complete their education he can still be seen as a very senior royal as far as royal engagements are concerned, and God forbids if anything were to happen to Charles and William while George is minor, he would most certainly be the designated regent.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:42 AM
Majesty

I doubt if he wuodl be Regent.. there woud be a council of Regency and he'd be a member
Old 05-21-2018, 06:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I doubt if he wuodl be Regent.. there woud be a council of Regency and he'd be a member
By law, the next available person in the line of succession who is 21 or older and a British citizen residing in the UK automatically becomes regent unless there is specific legislation stating otherwise. When Queen Elizabeth II’s children were minors, a special act of Parliament provided for Prince Philip to become regent when, otherwise, by default, the regent would be Princess Margaret.

It is unlikely though that Harry will ever become regent as both Charles and William would have to be deceased before George turned 18.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Thanks. My main point, however, was to answer the question of where the accent should be, rather than a particular regional pronunciation. FWIW, most of the coverage I've seen seems to emphasize the eh sound, as in SUH-seks-ez, which bears little resemblance to successes. Of course, YMMV.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Thanks, Cepe.

Is the singular also pronounced suss six?

To be honest, I'm a little bit surprised it's not pronounced "saw". Because I'm still shaken about Featherstonhaugh.

Closed Thread