Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was talk of opening up the basement (?)of KP to offices thus creating more apartments. Isn't that an option for the couple?
Besides I can see HM or even Prince Charles giving the couple a property as a wedding present

It seems for now, from the engagement announcement, they will remain in the cottage. The two bedroom cottage doesn't make it that comfortable for long time visits from her mother. Until they either have a bigger home in London, or a country home, or both, practicality sets in.

Besides its not just her mother. She has a father as well who she is close to. She also has friends and extended family she is known to celebrate with. Since her parents are divorced, a 2 bedroom cottage wont allow for them to both visit.

I wouldn't expect them to remain very long at NottCott after getting married. Especially if Meghan becomes pregnant soon afterwards. As much as I hate to say it, age does matter here, so time is of the essence. :lol: Once they have a child, NottCott is not going to be big enough.

Meghan being a Cali girl doesn't strike me as a woman who would hunt. But how long do these events last? if everyone is gone a few hours that would be a good time to read or paint or even take a nap. Maybe you can follow behind the party separate from all the violence.

What violence? Fox hunting has been banned in Britain for years. Or do you mean shoots, where the men go out on country estates with rifles after pheasant and snipe etc? That can start in the early morning and go on for most of the day, or for a few hours. Sometimes the female guests and family make a day of it too and follow the shooters, but not all do. Some stay at home and do other things.

Last edited:
Someone tweeted Camilla Tominey asking if Meghan will joining the royal family at Sandringham this year. Camilla responded saying "looks likely".

Someone tweeted Camilla Tominey asking if Meghan will joining the royal family at Sandringham this year. Camilla responded saying "looks likely".

That would be really nice - not that I'm attempting to compare, I just want to get some perspective, but did Catherine ever attend a Christmas service at Sandringham when she was engaged or in a non-married relationship with William?

It's been mentioned in other threads today that when those two were engaged, William wasn't at the Sandringham Christmas that year. So obviously, there wasn't any reason for Catherine to go.

It's been mentioned in other threads today that when those two were engaged, William wasn't at the Sandringham Christmas that year. So obviously, there wasn't any reason for Catherine to go.

Thanks for the info, I hadn't realised this had already been discussed elsewhere.

I think the Clarences (or Sussexes) will have an announcement by end of 2018 and I think they will be house hunting not long after they marry.

LaRae

Meghan being a Cali girl doesn't strike me as a woman who would hunt. But how long do these events last? if everyone is gone a few hours that would be a good time to read or paint or even take a nap. Maybe you can follow behind the party separate from all the violence.

Not a fan of hunting at all, but calling it violence would be wrong :ermm:

She could certainly stay behind and read or do what she chooses. Many people don't go on the hunt. Kate has missed it in the past, especially when pregnant. Some people go along but don't hunt.

What is a Call girl, and what violence? Fox hunting has been banned in Britain for years. Or do you mean shoots, where the men go out on country estates with rifles after pheasant and snipe etc? That can start in the early morning and go on for most of the day, or for a few hours. Sometimes the female guests and family make a day of it too and follow the shooters, but not all do. Some stay at home and do other things.

The hunting is not reserved for the men....the women don't just follow along. Kate has participated in hunts when not pregnant, even before they married went on hunting trips to Scotland. Her family is big in hunting, her and William have joined the Middletons I believe last year for a hunt after Christmas as well.

Some women may indeed choose not to take part in the hunting. But it certainly isn't a 'man's event'.

Nope not a man's event anymore. I know a lot of women who hunt (deer/moose/bear/elk/birds etc).

LaRae

That would be really nice - not that I'm attempting to compare, I just want to get some perspective, but did Catherine ever attend a Christmas service at Sandringham when she was engaged or in a non-married relationship with William?

Catherine spent Christmas 2010 with Middletons. However, it's a different situation as William didn't even spend Christmas at Sandringham that year. It wouldn't have made sense for her to go alone rather than spend Christmas with her family who are in England.

Of course it is violent, but Meghan will have to get used to it. Its very much part of life in the RF at present...

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News Part 1: November 2017 -

And will continue to be for a long time. It’s part and parcel of country life, especially for owners of large estates. Whether one sees it as violence, past time or conservation, it’s here to stay. Meghan won’t be forced to take part in anything she doesn’t want to. Though she may well want to. Who knows? Shooting endangered elephants is very different from potting the odd grouse or two on a Scottish moor. Remember that the Royal Family pride themselves on being very self sufficient and the sale of their estate produce helps that along just as much as shooting for the table. If you have access to fresh game and other organic produce, you’re hardly likely not to use it. However you come by it.

It does highlight another of Meghan’s future responsibilities however. If they do purchase a country estate, she’ll be expected to play a part in running it. And that can be a big enough challenge for those born to the purple let alone marrying into it. She won’t just be a working member of the Royal Family but a hostess expected to entertain in a certain style.

Last edited:
Here hunting is a natural part of conservation. I mentioned in another thread, we have over 1 million deer in MY state alone. They were brought back from almost non-existence in the early 1900's by careful management and that includes hunting. Annually around 100,000 deer are taken during hunting season...with a population of over 1 million it's a fraction of the number.

They started to re-introduce elk about 10 years ago. They are already able to have very limited hunts on them.

The same with wild turkey's ...huge population of them in my state now, brought back from very low numbers.

LaRae

It does highlight another of Meghan’s future responsibilities however. If they do purchase a country estate, she’ll be expected to play a part in running it. And that can be a big enough challenge for those born to the purple let alone marrying into it. She won’t just be a working member of the Royal Family but a hostess expected to entertain in a certain style.

I don't think hosting will be a problem for her. They have a lot of dinner parties in Toronto high society. Granted, it's a different style, but if you can do well in one. Shouldn't be that big of a problem. She'll have guidance, I'm sure.

And honestly, I don't think Meghan will have a problem with hunting as long as it is done in a humane way. She, after all, is not a vegetarian. She eats meat. Someone had to kill it.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News Part 1: November 2017 -

I hasten to add, I don’t doubt for a moment that she’ll do it very well indeed!

And will continue to be for a long time. It’s part and parcel of country life, especially for owners of large estates. Whether one sees it as violence, past time or conservation, it’s here to stay. Meghan won’t be forced to take part in anything she doesn’t want to. Though she may well want to. Who knows? Shooting endangered elephants is very different from potting the odd grouse or two on a Scottish moor. Remember that the Royal Family pride themselves on being very self sufficient and the sale of their estate produce helps that along just as much as shooting for the table. If you have access to fresh game and other organic produce, you’re hardly likely not to use it. However you come by it.

Meghan's grown up fishing and has done things like spear fish for Lobster and bare hand dive for sea urchin and eat them fresh in the boat, so she's quite adventurous.
I don't recall her ever speaking about hunting one way or the other, but her father was a hunter.

She's also big on farm to table dining so I could see her loving having fresh game to cook with, but whether or not she'd want to participate in killing it is anybody's guess.

Guy is with the couple. Meghan said he's been in UK for awhile and is adjusting fine in the interview. Meghan has had one day of royal engagements. I highly doubt she's has to be away a lot to do what she needs to do. It's likely a lot of things are being done with her at home, especially for the wedding. If she has to go into the office to meet with Harry's advisors on stuff, they are just a stone's throw away in KP. I'm sure they can have someone look in on him if he needs to be walked during the day while they are gone. Harry doesn't have that many things on his calendar right now. Everything is just a day trip. I think some people are thinking way too much into this. Believe it or not, you can leave a dog at home during the day, most people do it when they have to work. They just mostly sleep. Guy isn't a puppy where he needs to burn off puppy energy and be around people a lot more. Have other considered it might be more traumatizing for him to be away from the only two people he's familiar with in an entirely new environment without Bogart?

Eh, it's not a lot of thinking. I used to have a beagle so I know a lot about the breed. And I've worked around a number of animals over the years (dogs, cats, horses). Animals are pretty smart and understand more than some people realize.

Meghan and Guy are very close, and yes he's a settled, older dog. But he definitely had to make adjustments with this type of relocation. Since he's been in London for awhile, Meghan has been traveling back and forth, so there would have had to be someone helping. H&M certainly don't have to provide us with any details. I'm quite sure Guy is receiving the best of care, and he's used to Meghan being away, and others taking care of him. It's hard to know how close Guy was to Bogart, and in that sense, how much he misses him. I'm sure Guy would have missed Meghan more had he too been left behind in Toronto. Meghan clearly from the Instagram pictures, has always taken very good care of both dogs. So I don't doubt she's considered what's best for each of them and that she's doing everything she can to smooth Guy's adjustment to new surroundings. She will likely continue to check in with Bogart too, when she can.

That said, there's no way we can know for certain exactly what Guy's current arrangements are, whether at Nott Cott, or with friends. Also, Guy is used to seeing many of Meghan's friends (including Lindsay Roth, Jessica Mulroney, Markus Anderson, et al.), as well as Meghan's neighbors, whose dogs he and Bogart often visited. The neighbor probably helped out on occasion when Meghan was traveling. When Meghan was dating Corey, he helped take care of both dogs and he had bonded with them apparently. He posted pictures of the dogs on his Instagram, which are still up. Therefore, it seems to me that Guy is used to being around different people. It's more a matter of his adjusting to a new environment and routine, than to new people. We don't know the set-up at the moment. I only mentioned the possibility that friends were helping out with Guy in London, because Meghan said, 'he's in the U.K.,' rather than 'he's with us here at KP.' It's not a big deal right now, one way or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meghan and Guy are very close, and yes he's a settled, older dog. But he definitely had to make adjustments with this type of relocation. Since he's been in London for awhile, Meghan has been traveling back and forth, so there would have had to be someone helping.

That said, there's no way we can know for certain exactly what Guy's current arrangements are, whether at Nott Cott, or with friends. Also, Guy is used to seeing many of Meghan's friends (including Lindsay Roth, Jessica Mulroney, Markus Anderson, et al.), as well as Meghan's neighbors, whose dogs he and Bogart often visited. The neighbor probably helped out on occasion when Meghan was traveling. When Meghan was dating Corey, he helped take care of both dogs and he had bonded with them apparently. He posted pictures of the dogs on his Instagram, which are still up. Therefore, it seems to me that Guy is used to being around different people. It's more a matter of his adjusting to a new environment and routine, than to new people. We don't know the set-up at the moment. I only mentioned the possibility that friends were helping out with Guy in London, because Meghan said, 'he's in the U.K.,' rather than 'he's with us here at KP.' It's not a big deal right now, one way or the other.

Are we forgetting about Harry? Sure, he travels sometimes, but unless he's on a foreign tour, he's based in one place. He'd still be going home on most days. On the days that he doesn't have public engagements, he's working a stone's throw away from the cottage. Meghan has just moved to UK permanently, so I'm assuming Harry's been doing some man to man bonding with Guy while she was filming. As for being in UK rather than KP, she was specifically asked if her dogs have moved yet.

It's just been really frustrating with all the online dog raising on here. :lol: And like you said, we don't know all the facts, which makes it even more frustrating. And I'm not talking about you specifically, but that topic has gotten quite touchy because of the Bogart situation. I get the curiosity over the dogs, but man, it's been a little much at times. I'm sure KP has plenty of other people Guy can hang out with too. Meghan said he's adjusting fine, I'll take her word for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: It wouldn't make sense for him to be any where else. Yes, he is comfortable with different people and that will make the transition easier. But there is no point acclimating him to one house and then moving him to another. Unless she has no intention of Guy living with them ever, which if she didn't she might as well have left him with Bogart. You are right, he needs to get into his new routine, and into knowing the new people. And just like a child, a routine includes location.

The new routine and environment will go out the window if they suddenly bring him to Nott cottage. His routine and environment will change once again. It makes far more sense to get him into the routine in his new home. Where he will be living. And getting accustomed to different people coming to walk and feed him there when Mom is away for work.

It's just been really frustrating with all the online dog raising on here. :lol: And like you said, we don't know all the facts, which makes it even more frustrating. And I'm not talking about you specifically, but that topic has gotten quite touchy because of the Bogart situation. I get the curiosity over the dogs, but man, it's been a little much at times. I'm sure KP has plenty of other people Guy can hang out with too. Meghan said he's adjusting fine, I'll take her word for it.

I agree. :flowers: The owner knows best. Leave it to Meghan to do what is right.

I saw a clip on twitter from a morning show in the U.K. (Omid Mio Scobie) talking about one of the ways Harry and Meghan avoided detection was getting together with Eugenie and her boyfriend.

LaRae

I saw a clip on twitter from a morning show in the U.K. (Omid Mio Scobie) talking about one of the ways Harry and Meghan avoided detection was getting together with Eugenie and her boyfriend. LaRae

How would that allow them to avoid detection? :huh:

How would that allow them to avoid detection? :huh:

I presume because they were dining together privately at each other's homes or the homes of others who could keep quiet.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom