Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 63 25.7%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 112 45.7%
  • Duke of Kendal

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Duke of Ross

• Duke of Hereford

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Duke of Buckingham

• Something 'New' (Please specify)

• An Earldom (Please specify)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
At points in his life, Prince Harry did struggle with being known as a 'prince.' However, as you say ACO, Harry deeply respects his family, his position and his family's traditions, particularly as he has matured and received counseling for his painful feelings of grief in adolescence and in his early to mid-twenties. Since Harry recognizes that carrying the title and status he holds allows him to do good in the world, he may wish to pass that status and responsiblity on to his children. And of course with Meghan's help, Harry will surely raise his children to be appreciative of their blessings, well-rounded, down-to-earth and not stuck-up (as Diana tried to instill in him and William).

Obviously having the title of Prince/Princess can pose a dilemma for children growing up around their peers. That's reportedly one reason why it was decided Prince George will be known as George Cambridge in school.

Of course he will have a title. It wil probably be a dukedom...

After having watched most of season 1 of Victoria and then reading about the first and only Duke of Sussex thus far, I think it is a title worth reviving.

To be honest the only thing I remember of the man was that he was said to be Victoria's favorite uncle, and he gave her away at her wedding. But it would be nice to see it used again. It seems to have been a top choice for Edward and William, so be interesting to see if finally makes the cut.

And I seem to remember that the last duke of Cambridge and the last duke of Sussex were brothers, so it would be a nice touch follow that tradition as well.

The last creation of each of those dukedoms was for brothers. The last Duke of Sussex died without legitimate issue but the son of George III who was created Duke of Cambridge had his title inherited by his son who died in 1904 also without legitimate issue. That means the last to hold each dukedom were in fact uncle and nephew not brothers.

The last creation of each of those dukedoms was for brothers. The last Duke of Sussex died without legitimate issue but the son of George III who was created Duke of Cambridge had his title inherited by his son who died in 1904 also without legitimate issue. That means the last to hold each dukedom were in fact uncle and nephew not brothers.
Right, my bad. I guess I only thought about the first dukes in the previous creations.

If this has already been mentioned before I apologize for not seeing it. What I don't like are all of the articles that already call Meghan The Duchess of Sussex or the Countess of Ross. I've seen a lot of articles in the United States that already call her this like it is a done deal. Makes me hope that her Majesty gives them different titles other than Sussex just because of the media assumption.

If this has already been mentioned before I apologize for not seeing it. What I don't like are all of the articles that already call Meghan The Duchess of Sussex or the Countess of Ross. I've seen a lot of articles in the United States that already call her this like it is a done deal. Makes me hope that her Majesty gives them different titles other than Sussex just because of the media assumption.

The title of Sussex for Harry has been batted around for a lot of years. :cool: I think Edward may have had Sussex in all the possible titles mentioned as available for him. I do have a memory that William's choice of Cambridge surprised everyone. Maybe Harry will surprise. Clarence! ;)

Never seen this, I've seen assumptions on what her official title will be but no article that I've come across has referred to Meghan as a Duchess or Countess anything, I don't know what HM giving Harry and Meghan a different title will do other than have the writers of those articles refer to Harry and Meghan as the newly aquired titles as if they guessed right all along.

The title of Sussex for Harry has been batted around for a lot of years. :cool: I think Edward may have had Sussex in all the possible titles mentioned as available for him. I do have a memory that William's choice of Cambridge surprised everyone. Maybe Harry will surprise. Clarence! ;)

Indeed Sussex, and Cambridge, were top runners for Edward when he wed. Cambridge was mentioned for William as well, though not seriously enough, that it did take some by surprise.

Can Kendal be resurrected and reclassified? Isn't it currently a non-Royal dukedom?

Can Kendal be resurrected and reclassified? Isn't it currently a non-Royal dukedom?

There isn’t really a “classification” like that; dukedoms either are royal dukedoms because they are held by a royal, or regular dukedoms, because they are not held by a royal.

Typically, with new dukedom creations for royals, we see titles that have previously been granted to royals, and thus have a history of being royal dukedoms. But not every title is like that - Connaught, for example, had never been used before Queen Victoria gave it to her son, Prince Arthur.

Kendal actually has a few uses - as an Earldom it was created for a son of Henry IV, a grandson of John of Gaunt, and Queen Anne’s husband; as a Dukedom it was created for a son of James II (while he was Duke of York) and a mistress of George I, and was planned as a title for the husband of Princess Charlotte of Wales.

There are two ways of establishing a right to a coat of arms. The first is by descent in the male line from a person to whom arms have been granted or confirmed in the past. If you believe one of your ancestors may have been granted arms you should write to the heraldic authority under whose jurisdiction he would have fallen, sending a sketch pedigree showing your descent from him, and enquire whether any such grant or confirmation was made.

The second is to have new arms granted to yourself which will be inherited by your descendants. Who has the authority to grant you arms depends largely on your nationality and place of residence.

The English Kings of Arms, the three senior English heralds, have the power granted to them to grant coats of arms. They are instructed in their Letters Patent of appointment from the Queen to grant arms to "eminent men". This phrase has for long been interpreted to include both women and corporations. There are no fixed criteria for eligibility, but, generally, such things as professional qualifications, university degrees, having held the Queen's Commission, and charitable and public work is taken into account. Those who think that they might wish to petition for a grant of arms should write to the Officer in Waiting at the College of Arms, Queen Victoria Street, London EC4V 4 BT, who will always be glad to advise them. Further details regarding the granting of arms in England are given on the College of Arms website at College of Arms - College of Arms.

I'm starting to have second thoughts of my choice of Sussex. ;) I voted for Sussex because it seemed the 'done deal', though thinking Clarence would be interesting. However, on reflection ;) I think they may well not choose Sussex because it is so close in sound to Wessex. Clarence is not really euphonious (to my mind), so that leaves the Duke and Duchess of Ross, which I am really starting to like.

News Report: 'The Duchess of Ross was seen wearing army boots on the moor.'

News Report: 'The Duke of Ross confesses to being confused by some of his wife's Americanisms during family gatherings.'

News Report: 'The Duke and Duchess of Ross announce the birth of triplets.'

I think the Duke and Duchess of Ross fits: unfussy, simple, straightforward, unique. Something to make their own. :flowers:

Not a fan of Sussex for several reasons....I prefer Clarence but Ross would be cool too, if it's even a possibility.

LaRae

The Duke of Ross would be nice because since it has not been used in centuries, it would be like it was brand new.

The Duke of Ross would be nice because since it has not been used in centuries, it would be like it was brand new.

Exactly. :flowers: I'm thinking the Duke and Duchess of Ross is the ticket. So pretty.

I really like the sound of The Duke and Duchess of Ross but I don't think it will happen. First, its a primarily Scottish dukedom and secondly, the last royal Duke of Ross was in the 16th century. However, the name remains strong with Clan Ross having Lairds throughout history.

Some interesting trivia about the Ross estate in Scotland. It has a very long and prestigious history and there's even a connection that, of course, the Daily Fail could pounce on in gleeful delight. The Clan Ross estate known as Balnagown Estate is still very active but under the management a man known all too well to us. Mohamed Al-Fayed.

The history of Balnagown Estates | About Balnagown Estates

Last edited:
:previous: I agree as much as I love Ross, I doubt we will see it as primary. Though it would be nice, like Philip, if another senior royal had a Scottish main title. But the most likely would be Earl of Ross.

There are many branches of Clan Ross, and a few who have held the title of chief of the clan. And a few estates, many in ruins, that belonged to them.

Has the Clan Ross had a nobleman who bore the the title of Earl of Ross?

:previous: I agree as much as I love Ross, I doubt we will see it as primary. Though it would be nice, like Philip, if another senior royal had a Scottish main title. But the most likely would be Earl of Ross.

I personally love the title of Countess. :flowers: This is purely my speculation (of course) but given that other siblings in the royal line have both side-stepped titles and taken lesser titles (than Dukedoms) it might be something Harry and Meghan would opt for (for a lot of reasons). And also lots of reasons to just stay with the norm and accept a dukedom.

It certainly will be interesting to see what gets chosen. One of the many mysteries that will be revealed the day of the wedding. ;)

Last edited:
The only situation where someone was given a title of Earl rather than Duke was Edward, and that was in a particular situation. THe RF was just recovering from a popularity low.. and as a result the Edward and Sophie wedding was less grandiose.. and they elected for their children not to use titles of Prince and Princess.. and there was aslo the situation that the queen clearly wanted one of the sons to get the title of Duke of Edinburgh.. so giving Edward an earldom allowed it to be planned that in due course he would become a royal duke.. and that for the present, the RF were seen as opting for a more modest set of titles and less "grandiosity"....

The only situation where someone was given a title of Earl rather than Duke was Edward, and that was in a particular situation. THe RF was just recovering from a popularity low.. and as a result the Edward and Sophie wedding was less grandiose.. and they elected for their children not to use titles of Prince and Princess.. and there was aslo the situation that the queen clearly wanted one of the sons to get the title of Duke of Edinburgh.. so giving Edward an earldom allowed it to be planned that in due course he would become a royal duke.. and that for the present, the RF were seen as opting for a more modest set of titles and less "grandiosity"....

There was Margaret's husband, the Earl of Snowdon. :cool:

Interesting rationale you give for Edward's choice of an earldom being a choice away from 'grandiosity'. Edward's sister Anne had opted for no royal title for husband and children. The sister of the Queen opted for an earldom. I think it was more in the history of this generation of royalty than your rationale allows for though it may be as you say. I have a sense Edward was not keen on royal life so much as his business which in the end he had to give up anyway.

The smaller wedding I think was due (in part) to it coming so close on the heels of Diana's death. I have always been under the impression that the tumult around the Charles and Diana divorce required Edward and Sophie to keep putting off their plans, and then came Diana's tragic death. Finally it was marry or wait more precious years so they married in the shadow of that great tragedy, hence, a more modest wedding. JMO.

Snowdon is not a royal earl.. he was given a title because of his being the husband of a Princess. Anne and Mark didn't want one for him, because he watned to get on in his career without its being said he was only getting somewhere because he was an earl who had gotten his title from marrying the queen's daughter. and they didn't want their children to have titles.
As for Edward I doubt if it was up to him what title he got.. the queen wanted one of Philip's sons to be Duke of Ed after he was gone and in the mood of the time, it looked good for Edward to accept a lesser title, a smaller wedding and no royal titles for his children. But in due course, he will be a Royal duke and possibly the children will use the titles of Prince and Princess.

There was Margaret's husband, the Earl of Snowdon. :cool:

Margaret's husband's title has no bearing on this discussion. He married into the family.

This discussion is about a title for son of the monarch's heir, a future King's son.

Margaret's husband's title has no bearing on this discussion. He married into the family.

This discussion is about a title for son of the monarch's heir, a future King's son.

Yes which was why I said that the only person to take a lesser title than "Royal duke" on marriage was Edward. Mark and Snowdon aren't royal...

I personally love the title of Countess. :flowers: This is purely my speculation (of course) but given that other siblings in the royal line have both side-stepped titles and taken lesser titles (than Dukedoms) it might be something Harry and Meghan would opt for (for a lot of reasons). And also lots of reasons to just stay with the norm and accept a dukedom.

It certainly will be interesting to see what gets chosen. One of the many mysteries that will be revealed the day of the wedding. ;)

Charles has three siblings: 1 is a Duke, 1 was Princess Royal and wouldn't be given a title either way, and 1 was made an Earl as a temporary filler as it was always intended for him to be DOE when his parents die. All three of the queen's sons are or will be dukes, so I fail to see the comparison.

Harry is one of only 2 children of the future king. He will be relied on heavily until his nieces and nephews are done college and ready for full time duties. He is not comparable to Edward.

There was Margaret's husband, the Earl of Snowdon.

Interesting rationale you give for Edward's choice of an earldom being a choice away from 'grandiosity'. Edward's sister Anne had opted for no royal title for husband and children. The sister of the Queen opted for an earldom. I think it was more in the history of this generation of royalty than your rationale allows for though it may be as you say. I have a sense Edward was not keen on royal life so much as his business which in the end he had to give up anyway.

Neither Mark nor Tony are comparable, and have no place in the conversation. They married into the royal family. They weren't entitled to gain any title, but were offered an earldom for their children to have titles.

Harry is a royal prince. There is no precedence for a royal prince to get anything less then a duchy. Edward is not a precedence, as earl of Wessex is a holder title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom