Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 63 25.7%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 112 45.7%
  • Duke of Kendal

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Duke of Ross

• Duke of Hereford

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Duke of Buckingham

• Something 'New' (Please specify)

• An Earldom (Please specify)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's bought with the Duchy's money, so yes, William can use it as The Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall.

how the title would work for Harry's descendants (independent of the one chosen).
He can use it but he wont inherit it.. as it belongs as I recall to the Duchy of Cornwall....

He can use it but he wont inherit it.. as it belongs as I recall to the Duchy of Cornwall....

... and who will be the Duke of Cornwall, who controls the Duchy of Cornwall?

It was bought with DOC money, so Charles does not own it.. and I don't believe that he could buy it, because of the terms of the DOC buying it.. Wiliam can live there but he cannot buy it...

I like Cumberland. :flowers:

Those are the only three that roll off the tongue (for me):

Cumberland, like Albany, is not available as there are living claimants. George III created his fifth son Duke of Cumberland in 1799 - along with Teviotdale. The son reigned in Hanover as George V from 1837 until 1851 and it was one of the titles removed from the holders under the Titles Deprivations Act but the current heir is Prince Ernest of Hanover and there are also more heirs male of the body to claim it.

It isn't extinct as an earlier poster suggested but in abeyance.

When Edward married, the Queen dug into the vault, so to speak, and granted him and Earldom that had not been in use since the 11th century. As I recall, nobody really considered Wessex to be in play and some folks accused her of making it out of wholecloth, not realizing that it predated William the Conqueror (and, to be fair had last been granted by him, so...)

All that to say this monarch does have some precedent for pulling out unexpected titles for younger sons. There's something to be said for keeping the more traditional pool of options available for the main line, in case George is made a duke when all his uncles and great-uncles are still alive. So there could potentially be a surprising choice for Harry.

Or he could be Sussex.

He’d be the Duke of Kendal Mint Cake! Hehehe

OK. Now I'm sold on Kendal. I love anything mint. Working on a big bag of holiday mint M&Ms here as we speak. :D

Perhaps they'll have a new title:

Duke & Duchess of Cumbria - a new county which resulted from the amagamation of Cumberland, Westmorland and Furness in NW England

Duke & Duchess of Mercia - a throwback (like Wessex) covering the English Midlands.

Oh, I like these two, particularly Cumbria, though would the family be 'The Cumbrians' or 'The Cumbrans'? ;)

I really, really like Frogmore (the house/estate) and would wish that for them, if they were so inclined. :flowers: So what if they bought and settled at Frogmore? Duke and Duchess of Frogmore? 'Honey, the Frogmores are coming, please light the fire.' It would work. Very whimsical, with that sensational house! YES! ?

Well unless the Queen creates a new title the choices are kinda limited.

I just had a thought though....Evidently Meghan/Harry have a real fondness for Windsor...so who's to say it won't happen?

LaRae

okay, I just did this:eek: I think the whole 20th Century will say it won't happen! ?

I think it is very likely to be Sussex. There aren't many historical titles left that are not now in use. or in a dispute situation lik Albany. Kendal was used I tink in the time of Charles II. I quite like it....

Charles Stuart (1666-1667) was the third son of James, Duke of York (King James II) and Anne Hyde. This Charles was designated Duke of Kendal.

Perhaps they'll have a new title:

Duke & Duchess of Cumbria - a new county which resulted from the amagamation of Cumberland, Westmorland and Furness in NW England

Duke & Duchess of Shropshire - a county on the Welsh border which, like Leicester(shire), Worcester(shire) and other counties has an Earl (of Shrewsbury) but no Duke.

Duke & Duchess of Mercia - a throwback (like Wessex) covering the English Midlands.

Yes! I suggested that ages ago and the response was not great. Lovely to see someone else with the same idea.

Shropshire is interesting but I'm holding back as the abbreviation is Salop. :ermm:

A bit off topic, but Meghan's real first name is Rachel. I don't know if I will be able to cope if we have to quit calling her Meghan and start calling her Rachel.

I still feel like the Duchess of Cambridge was telling me we were no longer close when I learned I had to call her Catherine. I still prefer Kate. I like her with a "K."

I can't go through this again! And if I have to call Meghan "Rachel," I'll think of Jennifer Anniston every stinking time I type it! I don't even like Jennifer Anniston!

And while I am at it, will I have to start calling Harry "Henry" when he gets married? :lol::lol::lol::lol:????

The title "Duchess of Sussex" does not really roll off the tongue.

This is my feeling as well. Really hard to say! I don't care about the "...sex" jokes that might come with it, but Duchess of Sussex is very difficult to say aloud. It's almost like a tongue twister...the Duchess of Sussex sells seashells by the seashore... lol

My preference from ages back was for Harry to get the Dukedom of Avondale...although is that one just a twofer, combined with Clarence? Seems like it might be...

All that to say this monarch does have some precedent for pulling out unexpected titles for younger sons. There's something to be said for keeping the more traditional pool of options available for the main line, in case George is made a duke when all his uncles and great-uncles are still alive. So there could potentially be a surprising choice for Harry.

Or he could be Sussex.
What 'main line' are you thinking about? Had the Queen not lived that long, William would not have needed an additional title - but now he did because he married before he became the prince of Wales. Nonetheless, his title(s) will merge with the crown when he ascends the throne - as will any other title that would be award to the direct heirs. As long as they keep two options for 'main line' (if that means heirs) they are fully covered - so, if George would need a ducal title because his grandfather is still king when he marries (which could easily be 25 years from now), his father would still be the duke of Cambridge, next to being the prince of Wales and duke of Cornwall; but it would be very unlikely that George's eldest son would get married while his grandfather is still King (the only scenario in which a third title would need to be reserved for 'the mainline').

A bit off topic, but Meghan's real first name is Rachel. I don't know if I will be able to cope if we have to quit calling her Meghan and start calling her Rachel.

I still feel like the Duchess of Cambridge was telling me we were no longer close when I learned I had to call her Catherine. I still prefer Kate. I like her with a "K."

I can't go through this again! And if I have to call Meghan "Rachel," I'll think of Jennifer Anniston every stinking time I type it! I don't even like Jennifer Anniston!

And while I am at it, will I have to start calling Harry "Henry" when he gets married? :lol::lol::lol::lol:????

They used 'Ms. Meghan Markle' on the engagement announcement so that is the name she wants to be known with. Catherine's official name was always Catherine, Kate was just a nickname. Meghan's official names was always Meghan (although it is more common to use your first name in daily life in most countries, she still has been a Meghan her whole life).

For Harry they are actually quite consistent. Any time they use his full name, they use HRH Prince Henry of Wales; if it is not with the HRH nor territorial designation it is 'Prince Harry'.

Is Clarence a place?

No, it is named after 'Clare' - according to Wikipedia (so you may judge whether you consider it trustworthy).

The title is said to originate[1] from the town of Clare, Suffolk, which was owned by the first Duke of Clarence, Lionel of Antwerp. His wife, Elizabeth, 4th Countess of Ulster, was a direct descendant of the previous owners, the de Clares, and the Manor of Clare was among the lands which she brought to her husband.[2]

References:
1) Polydore Vergil, in his Anglica Historia of 1534 (Book XIX.36) dates the Dukedom to 1361 and claims to have rediscovered the lost origins of the name. See also David Hatton, Clare, Suffolk, an account of historical features of the town, its Priory and its Parish Church, 2006, Book 1, p21 ISBN*0-9524242-3-1 It is also available online on the Clare website. However, other writers, e.g., T.A. Trant, Narrative of a Journey Through Greece (London: 1830) p4, trace the title Dux Clarentiae to Clarentia (Glarentza) in the Peloponnese, seat of Matilda of Hainaut (aka Maud, Mahaut), Princess of Achaea from 1313-1318, from whom her cousin Philippa of Hainault might have passed to her son Lionel at least an honorific claim to Achaea.
2) One or more of the preceding sentences*incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain:*Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Clarence, Dukes of". Encyclopædia Britannica. 6 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. pp.*427–428.

Last edited by a moderator:
They used 'Ms. Meghan Markle' on the engagement announcement so that is the name she wants to be known with. Catherine's official name was always Catherine, Kate was just a nickname. Meghan's official names was always Meghan (although it is more common to use your first name in daily life in most countries, she still has been a Meghan her whole life).

For Harry they are actually quite consistent. Any time they use his full name, they use HRH Prince Henry of Wales; if it is not with the HRH nor territorial designation it is 'Prince Harry'.

I think the Meghan thing was a preference as was Kate/Catherine. Granted, it's a lot easier to switch between Kate/Catherine as one is just a short hand. Rachel and Meghan are quite different, and I think Meghan is quite comfortable with Meghan as opposed to Rachel. I highly doubt she'll start using Rachel. I don't even think her monogram will be R.

I kind of wonder where “Kate” came from - if it was a nickname she had as a young adult and outgrew as an adult and we just didn’t learn that until the engagement, or if it was something that the media dubbed her and just never got corrected until the engagement. I don’t remember William ever mentioning her by name pre-engagement, but I wasn’t following them too closely then.

That said, when William and Kate got engaged, they announced their engagement as the engagement of Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton.

With Meghan, she chose to be known as Meghan at least 20 years ago (there are pictures of yearbooks and the like from when she was a teenager where she’s listed as Meghan), and the engagement announcement has them listed as Prince Henry of Wales and Ms. Meghan Markle. I think we’re likely to see her continue to be Meghan publicly.

I think it'll be that she'll stick with Meghan. The only time "Rachel" would be used most likely is during the vows at the wedding where they use full names.

Come to think of it, if we all had to start calling her "Rachel", wouldn't that mean we'd all have to sit down and view all the episodes of Suits so that we get to know her "Rachel" side? Naw.... that Rachel is, as they in the industry, "a wrap". :D

With Meghan, she chose to be known as Meghan at least 20 years ago (there are pictures of yearbooks and the like from when she was a teenager where she’s listed as Meghan), and the engagement announcement has them listed as Prince Henry of Wales and Ms. Meghan Markle. I think we’re likely to see her continue to be Meghan publicly.

Meghan has said previously that she ALWAYS has been Meghan and NEVER Rachel. So yes, of course, that is the name she also uses now she is Harry's fiancée.

There are quite a few countries/cultures in the world where someone's first name is just something legal and is not necessarily the same as the name you are known by from birth. The Netherlands for example is one of them where parents typically on a birth announcement not only announce all official first names but also the name that will be used (literally 'calling name') - although it seems to be more and more common that official name and calling name are the same. Also, in several Latin American countries it is quite common to use your second name instead of your first in daily life (again: not a decision that the child makes at a certain age but a custom that is established by their parents from birth) - even officials might use your second name instead of your first (not knowing which one you are using!) to call you to their desk.

Meghan has said previously that she ALWAYS has been Meghan and NEVER Rachel. So yes, of course, that is the name she also uses now she is Harry's fiancée.

There are quite a few countries/cultures in the world where someone's first name is just something legal and is not necessarily the same as the name you are known by from birth. The Netherlands for example is one of them where parents typically on a birth announcement not only announce all official first names but also the name that will be used (literally 'calling name') - although it seems to be more and more common that official name and calling name are the same. Also, in several Latin American countries it is quite common to use your second name instead of your first in daily life (again: not a decision that the child makes at a certain age but a custom that is established by their parents from birth) - even officials might use your second name instead of your first (not knowing which one you are using!) to call you to their desk.

I'm not from the Netherlands however my whole life I've gone by my middle name. The only time I ever heard my first name was when I was in trouble!!

LaRae

With me, I knew when my middle name was used. Then it was time to head for the hills or hide under the bed. :D

I like the sound of Duke and Duchess of Kendal but I agree that it will most likely be Sussex. The subsidiary titles that go with it will be interesting as I assume that Harry's eldest son will use one of them as his courtesy title in the years to come.

With me, I knew when my middle name was used. Then it was time to head for the hills or hide under the bed. :D

We evidently had the same parents! lol

Yes! I suggested that ages ago and the response was not great. Lovely to see someone else with the same idea.

Shropshire is interesting but I'm holding back as the abbreviation is Salop. :ermm:

Yes, Salop would raise more than a few sniggers in French-speaking countries, but so would Sussex, which with the standard heavy French accent, would be rendered Duke & Duchess of Suck + male reproductive organ.:lol:

Hoping it’s not Sussex and is something unexpected. I know it won’t happen though I like Windsor

I think ONLY those with the maturity levels of an eight year old boy would find something to snigger at in the word Sussex ! Grown-ups surely won't...

Essex, Middlesex really don't attract any problem..

Cue for headlines on Harry's wedding day from the Fail. 'It's SusSEX' and all their moronic readers have hysteria!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom