Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 63 25.7%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 112 45.7%
  • Duke of Kendal

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Duke of Ross

• Duke of Hereford

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Duke of Buckingham

• Something 'New' (Please specify)

• An Earldom (Please specify)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Though I don't see it happening, I'd really like a Duke of Windsor. It just sounds so connected to the royal house

It gives me the heebie jeebies. I can't imagine the Queen bestowing it on her grandson.

It was decided that, if Charles inherits the title of Duke of Edinburgh from his father and the title merges into the Crown when Charles becomes king, then the title will be re-created for Edward. So, with high probability, Edward will become the next Duke of Edinburgh eventually, while simultaneously retaining his current title of Earl of Wessex.

...and if we're going to have an Eddy Edinburgh, then why not a Harry Clarence!

re children, I can't believe the interviewer asked them about starting a family in their engagement interview. They took it with humour and good grace but frankly it's just plain rude and trashy to ask that personal a question to any couple you don't know.

...and if we're going to have an Eddy Edinburgh, then why not a Harry Clarence!

re children, I can't believe the interviewer asked them about starting a family in their engagement interview. They took it with humour and good grace but frankly it's just plain rude and trashy to ask that personal a question to any couple you don't know.
Nonetheless, it is quite common in royal engagement or wedding interview. And they were quite clear: 'in the near future' - but first need to get married. Let's hope it turns out that way.

Nonetheless, it is quite common in royal engagement or wedding interview. And they were quite clear: 'in the near future' - but first need to get married. Let's hope it turns out that way.

I'd rather hope that their family plans go as they want. Beyond that, it's none of my business.

I'd rather hope that their family plans go as they want. Beyond that, it's none of my business.

Yes, of course. I was trying to express that my hope is they will indeed (be able to) have children as that is not a given and because that is clearly what they want; and it was Harry who had the clear timeline in mind with his 'one step at a time' (only the 'in the near future' was a quote, the second part was a summary of what he also implied). Sorry, if I was confusing and you read something else into my statement as I was just wishing them well. I would hope nobody would wish for them not to have children as they are clear about their desire to start a family - but being realistic: it's not guaranteed, so I hope it turns out the way they hope (i.e., 'that way').

So, I think we actually agree :flowers:

Last edited:
I predict they will have an announcement by the end of2018

LaRae

Yes, of course. I was trying to express that my hope is they will indeed (be able to) have children as that is not a given and because that is clearly what they want; and it was Harry who had the clear timeline in mind with his 'one step at a time' (only the 'in the near future' was a quote, the second part was a summary of what he also implied). Sorry, if I was confusing and you read something else into my statement as I was just wishing them well. I would hope nobody would wish for them not to have children as they are clear about their desire to start a family - but being realistic: it's not guaranteed, so I hope it turns out the way they hope (i.e., 'that way').

So, I think we actually agree :flowers:

I think we do. :flowers: I always find speculation over babies a bit uncomfortable as it is such a private decision/matter and, as you say, it is not always possible for couples to have children, in which case questions like the one asked in the interview must be extremely painful to endure.

Clearly, I hope they will have the opportunity to decide when the right moment is based on their respective ages, desire to have some child-free-couple time in their relationship and adjustments to a new (and not so run-of-the mill new) life together, given the family in question, the change of country for Meghan and the change in role & lifestyle. I hope the chattering classes let them get on with their lives.

I'm rather hoping for Duke of Clarence than Duke of Sussex.

Or why not Duke of Buckingham ;) Yes i know he would be the first royal to hold that title but whatever. Someone has to be the first ;)

I was thinking the same thing. Duchess and Sussex tend to run into each other so I hope they get something else.

He can always get a dukedom in Scotland, i believe there’s a couple of them open, and an earldom in England. Like Edward, when he’ll eventually get the duke of Edinburgh title.

He can always get a dukedom in Scotland, i believe there’s a couple of them open, and an earldom in England. Like Edward, when he’ll eventually get the duke of Edinburgh title.

And like his paternal grandfather Prince Philip who is The Duke of Edinburgh (scottish title), Earl of Merioneth (welch title) and Baron Greenwich (british title).

Duke of Ross is available. Was created twice a long ago for younger sons of the King of Scotland. Though it would feel a little bit strange if Scotland would vote themselves away from UK and both Harry and Edward would be known by Scottish titles.....

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. Duchess and Sussex tend to run into each other so I hope they get something else.

Same as with Countess and Wessex, and it seems to work.

And like his paternal grandfather Prince Philip who is The Duke of Edinburgh (scottish title), Earl of Merioneth (welch title) and Baron Greenwich (british title).

Duke of Ross is available. Was created twice a long ago for younger sons of the King of Scotland. Though it would feel a little bit strange if Scotland would vote themselves away from UK and both Harry and Edward would be known by Scottish titles.....

As far as I know both Wales and Scotland are also part of Britain; I am sure you meant to say English title :D

Either Duke of Sussex or Duke of Brandon would be good titles. (Is there a Dukedom of Brandon?)

- Sussex is too easy for a nasty joke
- Clarence sounds nice but bad memories

What about Connaught ?

I pretty know that, but it's a royal dukedom available.

Not really--the part of Ireland that Connaught is in, is not part of the United Kingdom--it is part of the Republic of Ireland.

They would never use an Irish place name for a prince of the UK. Even Scotland is not that likely for Harry, even though I wish it was.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I pretty know that, but it's a royal dukedom available.

If it was in the six counties yes but not in the republic so Connaught it out due to its geographical location in Eire.

A title in Northern Ireland is possible but not outside the UK itself.

If it was in the six counties yes but not in the republic so Connaught it out due to its geographical location in Eire.

A title in Northern Ireland is possible but not outside the UK itself.

Despite knowing it won't happen, I can't stop hoping the subsidiary titles of royals would include a title in each of the realms, to tie the Royal Family closer to every realm, and not just the U.K.

I must confess, I don't think Sussex is a good choice linguistically, but hopefully, that is not the consideration H.M has on her mind when designating titles :)

Despite knowing it won't happen, I can't stop hoping the subsidiary titles of royals would include a title in each of the realms, to tie the Royal Family closer to every realm, and not just the U.K.

I must confess, I don't think Sussex is a good choice linguistically, but hopefully, that is not the consideration H.M has on her mind when designating titles :)

I don't understand "would include a title in each of the realms, to tie the Royal Family closer to every realm, and not just the U.K." What realms?
The United Kingdom is England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Do you mean you wish they got 4 titles?

I don't understand "would include a title in each of the realms, to tie the Royal Family closer to every realm, and not just the U.K." What realms?
The United Kingdom is England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Do you mean you wish they got 4 titles?

Maybe all other 'realms' within the Commonwealth of which the Queen is the Head of State - but they would result in quite a list. Three seems fine from a user perspective. That covers three generation; sometimes there is a fourth generation but by the time they come of age most likely the titles have passed down.

Most of the other Realms don’t have a title system though, so it wouldn’t really be appropriate. You’re also likely to run into backlash from the more republican Realms (ie Australia, the Bahamas, etc), and even feed into republicanism in the less republican Realms.

England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are not individual Realms. England (with Wales), Scotland, and Northern Ireland each form a kingdom within the Realm of the United Kingdom. HM is monarch of 16 Realms in total, of which the UK is only one - Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc, make up the other 15.

England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are not individual Realms. England (with Wales), Scotland, and Northern Ireland each form a kingdom within the Realm of the United Kingdom. HM is monarch of 16 Realms in total, of which the UK is only one - Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc, make up the other 15.

Thanks for the geographical lesson, but I was trying to get LadyRohan to explain what she meant with her original post--that's why I quoted her in my question to her.;)

Which I explained... you’ve misunderstood what “Realm” means.

Which I explained... you’ve misunderstood what “Realm” means.

Last comment but no I didn't. I was trying to clarify what the original poster meant-you misunderstood what was mine and what I quoted of hers in my question to her. All the realm stuff was originally hers. See quotation marks. I didn't think she actually meant they should get 15 or so titles so...

Last edited:

That type of question is a waste of interview time imo, because after all, the answer is a given. :huh: Though Harry made a delightful witticism ('Not currently', or something like that), did I detect a slight annoyance? Slight? Understandable, because as the interviewee one is trapped into giving the rote answer. Annoying. Imagine if the interviewee proclaims 'Heck no, we despise children. They are okay on walk-abouts, but up-close-and-personal, no thank you!' ? Besides, Harry already answered that question years ago. It's on the record, he wants a family. Why ask?

I'm rather hoping for Duke of Clarence than Duke of Sussex.

Or why not Duke of Buckingham ;) Yes i know he would be the first royal to hold that title but whatever. Someone has to be the first ;)

I am starting to agree about Sussex. I liked it lots once but I'm now wondering if there is something else. However, what would be a real issue (for me) is the fact that the title name becomes the family name (ex: George Cambridge, Louise Wessex). That being the case, Sussex re-enters the list of contenders.

Am I correct that whatever title name then becomes Harry's family name down through the generations of his family? If that is the case, one needs to choose carefully.

Sussex is okay. Buckingham is interesting. Someone mentioned the Duke of Ross. I like that (we were watching Poldark this last weekend). ;)

BTW what were the list of possible names when William got married? Anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom