Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 63 25.7%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 112 45.7%
  • Duke of Kendal

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Duke of Ross

• Duke of Hereford

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Duke of Buckingham

• Something 'New' (Please specify)

• An Earldom (Please specify)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
It is likely that Queen Elizabeth will bestow Prince Harry a Dukedom upon his marriage next year.

What do you think it will be?
Happy guessing!

Last edited:
I would think, in formal situations they will use both her names.

LaRae

There are quite a few extinct dukedoms ,though these 5 are my favourites,I guess we won't know until the day of the wedding as with William/Kate.

Duke of Exeter
Duke of Buckingham
Duke of Suffolk
Duke of Surrey
Duke of Clarence

Please not Clarence! Such a sad history. I do like Sussex.

I have a feeling it will be Duke of Sussex, which I am not a big fan of due to the similarity to Wessex, but I guess the Wessex couple will be the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh in the next 10 years anyway.

I like the sound of Clarence but the history attached to it isn't great.

I like Clearance better. I know some are wary of the bad history, but it’s time to make new memories.

Most all of the titles have some bad history. Doesn't matter really. I just hope it's not one that ends in 'ex'.

LaRae

Duke of Sussex and Ross would be my guess.

Unlike William, whose Cambridge title will be supplemented by the titles of Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay and Prince of Wales in due course (in the normal scheme of things), what Harry gets now will be what he'll keep for life. Given the divisions within the UK, I imagine he'll get both an English and a Scottish dukedom/ or at least a Scottish earldom (plus a minor Northern Irish title).

If it's not Sussex, I'd say Clarence is most likely.

His uncles didn't get two dukedoms (Edward in fact is still waiting for his); so I don't see why Harry would get them. Most likely he will get three titles just like his brother and uncle Andrew of which one will be a dukedom.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Edward turn down a dukedom in favor of being an Earl.

Edward didn't turn down a dukedom. The plan is when the Duke of Edinburgh title merges back into the Crown (when Philip passes), the title will be recreated and given to Edward. This was announced at the time of his wedding

When Philip dies Charles inherits the dukedom. It’s only when Charles becomes king does it merge with Crown

When Philip dies Charles inherits the dukedom. It’s only when Charles becomes king does it merge with Crown

Can Charles renounce the title and have it become available? Of course, I don't think the decision has been made as it's fluid situation depending on what happens.

Can Charles renounce the title and have it become available? Of course, I don't think the decision has been made as it's fluid situation depending on what happens.

No. If Charles renounced it, it would simply be not used by anyone until Charles dies (or becomes King and it’s merged with the crown).

Even if Charles could renounce it, Edward is not the next in the succession to it; the succession to the DoE is Charles, William, George, Harry, Andrew, then Edward.

The title was first granted to Lionel of Antwerp, the second son of King Edward III, in 1362. Since he died without sons, the title became extinct. The title was again created in favour of Thomas of Lancaster, the second son of King Henry IV, in 1412. Upon his death, too, the title became extinct. The last creation in the Peerage of England was for George Plantagenet, brother of King Edward IV, in 1461. The Duke forfeited his title in 1478, after he had been convicted of treason against his brother. He allegedly met his end (according to William Shakespeare) by being drowned in a butt of Malmsey.

A fourth creation in England was suggested and planned to take effect; the title of Duke of Clarence was going to be given to Lord Guilford Dudley, husband of Lady Jane Grey, upon her coronation, as she declined to make her husband king consort. However, she was deposed and executed before this could take effect.

Two double dukedoms, of Clarence and St Andrews and of Clarence and Avondale, were later created for British royal princes. The title also took the form of an earldom for Queen Victoria's son Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany, and his son Prince Charles Edward, the Clarence earldom being a subsidiary title. Prince Leopold died of Haemophilia aged 30, and Charles Edward was deprived of his English Titles in 1917, as a result of WW1.

NOT a happy tale..

Last edited:
I don't know the terms upon which Philip was created Duke of Edinburgh but is it possible it is not inheritable and ends with his death and therefore Her Majesty can recreate it for Edward at that time?
Because the stories have been fairly clear than Edward will be made Duke of Edinburgh when his father passes.

Anyway, that is off topic from Harry's future title. Sussex seems to be the front runner.

Last edited:
Philip’s dukedom has the standard remainder of ‘heirs male’

Succession is Charles, William, George, Harry, Andrew then Edward

I don't know the terms upon which Philip was created Duke of Edinburgh but is it possible it is not inheritable and ends with his death and therefore her Majesty can recreate it for Edward at that time?
Because the stories have been fairly clear than Edward will be made Duke of Edinburgh when his father passes.

Anyway, that is off topic from Harry's future title. Sussex seems to be the front runner.

This has been discussed extensively on TRF and has its own thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/the-future-of-the-duke-of-edinburgh-title-24343.html

The short is: when the DoE dies his title will be inherited by Charles.

When Charles is King, the title will merge with the Crown.

When the title is merged with the Crown, it is intended that Charles will create Edward Duke of Edinburgh.

The stories that are fairly clear on anything other than that timeline of events are wrong about how things work.

This has been discussed extensively on TRF and has its own thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/the-future-of-the-duke-of-edinburgh-title-24343.html

The short is: when the DoE dies his title will be inherited by Charles.

When Charles is King, the title will merge with the Crown.

When the title is merged with the Crown, it is intended that Charles will create Edward Duke of Edinburgh.

The stories that are fairly clear on anything other than that timeline of events are wrong about how things work.

The above presumes that the duke predeceases his wife. If it is the other way around, the title will merge directly with the Crown (assuming that Charles, William and/or George are alive at that point in time). However, all of that is indeed extensively discussed in the above mentioned topic.

I have a feeling that it might be Clarence. Something to do with his father's official London home, or the fact that it is close to my last name, Klaren, lol! Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be old and honored, and suit Harry down to the ground.

The title was first granted to Lionel of Antwerp, the second son of King Edward III, in 1362. Since he died without sons, the title became extinct. The title was again created in favour of Thomas of Lancaster, the second son of King Henry IV, in 1412. Upon his death, too, the title became extinct. The last creation in the Peerage of England was for George Plantagenet, brother of King Edward IV, in 1461. The Duke forfeited his title in 1478, after he had been convicted of treason against his brother. He allegedly met his end (according to William Shakespeare) by being drowned in a butt of Malmsey.

A fourth creation in England was suggested and planned to take effect; the title of Duke of Clarence was going to be given to Lord Guilford Dudley, husband of Lady Jane Grey, upon her coronation, as she declined to make her husband king consort. However, she was deposed and executed before this could take effect.

Two double dukedoms, of Clarence and St Andrews and of Clarence and Avondale, were later created for British royal princes. The title also took the form of an earldom for Queen Victoria's son Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany, and his son Prince Charles Edward, the Clarence earldom being a subsidiary title. Prince Leopold died of Haemophilia aged 30, and Charles Edward was deprived of his English Titles in 1917, as a result of WW1.

NOT a happy tale..

:previous:

To further clarify, for those who don't know the story, Prince Charles Edward became the reigning Duke of the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha when he was just 16. At Kaiser Wilhelm's urging, he left Britain for Germany in 1900. When WWI erupted, he had a chance to choose his side and he chose Germany, even serving briefly in the military during the war. He abdicated his British titles at that time. Later on, he was deposed as Duke, too. He joined the Nazi party rather early on, before they took power, and eventually represented Hitler on visits to the UK and the US.

Between him and the previous Dukes of Clarence, that title has gained a pretty thorough association with treason/turning one's back on the UK, to the point that choosing to create it again would invite questions of whether the decision to opt for "Clarence" were some kind of negative commentary on the recipient.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Edward turn down a dukedom in favor of being an Earl.

It was decided that, if Charles inherits the title of Duke of Edinburgh from his father and the title merges into the Crown when Charles becomes king, then the title will be re-created for Edward. So, with high probability, Edward will become the next Duke of Edinburgh eventually, while simultaneously retaining his current title of Earl of Wessex.

Charles Edward, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha

was the Duke of Albany in the UK peerage, not the Duke of Clarence. He was the posthumous son of Queen Victoria's youngest son, Prince Leopold. The last Duke of Clarence was Prince Albert Victor, oldest child of Edward VII and Alexandra of Denmark. He died unmarried and without heirs in 1892.

was the Duke of Albany in the UK peerage, not the Duke of Clarence. He was the posthumous son of Queen Victoria's youngest son, Prince Leopold. The last Duke of Clarence was Prince Albert Victor, oldest child of Edward VII and Alexandra of Denmark. He died unmarried and without heirs in 1892.

Duke of Albany, yes, but also Earl of Clarence

The title "Duchess of Sussex" does not really roll off the tongue.

Though I don't see it happening, I'd really like a Duke of Windsor. It just sounds so connected to the royal house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom