The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 63 25.71%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.71%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.27%
Duke of Ross 8 3.27%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.45%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.31%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.27%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.27%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.67%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.45%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 09:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think it'll be that she'll stick with Meghan. The only time "Rachel" would be used most likely is during the vows at the wedding where they use full names.

Come to think of it, if we all had to start calling her "Rachel", wouldn't that mean we'd all have to sit down and view all the episodes of Suits so that we get to know her "Rachel" side? Naw.... that Rachel is, as they in the industry, "a wrap".

Old 11-28-2017, 09:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
With Meghan, she chose to be known as Meghan at least 20 years ago (there are pictures of yearbooks and the like from when she was a teenager where she’s listed as Meghan), and the engagement announcement has them listed as Prince Henry of Wales and Ms. Meghan Markle. I think we’re likely to see her continue to be Meghan publicly.
Meghan has said previously that she ALWAYS has been Meghan and NEVER Rachel. So yes, of course, that is the name she also uses now she is Harry's fiancée.

There are quite a few countries/cultures in the world where someone's first name is just something legal and is not necessarily the same as the name you are known by from birth. The Netherlands for example is one of them where parents typically on a birth announcement not only announce all official first names but also the name that will be used (literally 'calling name') - although it seems to be more and more common that official name and calling name are the same. Also, in several Latin American countries it is quite common to use your second name instead of your first in daily life (again: not a decision that the child makes at a certain age but a custom that is established by their parents from birth) - even officials might use your second name instead of your first (not knowing which one you are using!) to call you to their desk.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Meghan has said previously that she ALWAYS has been Meghan and NEVER Rachel. So yes, of course, that is the name she also uses now she is Harry's fiancée.

There are quite a few countries/cultures in the world where someone's first name is just something legal and is not necessarily the same as the name you are known by from birth. The Netherlands for example is one of them where parents typically on a birth announcement not only announce all official first names but also the name that will be used (literally 'calling name') - although it seems to be more and more common that official name and calling name are the same. Also, in several Latin American countries it is quite common to use your second name instead of your first in daily life (again: not a decision that the child makes at a certain age but a custom that is established by their parents from birth) - even officials might use your second name instead of your first (not knowing which one you are using!) to call you to their desk.

I'm not from the Netherlands however my whole life I've gone by my middle name. The only time I ever heard my first name was when I was in trouble!!

LaRae
Old 11-28-2017, 09:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
With me, I knew when my middle name was used. Then it was time to head for the hills or hide under the bed.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:27 AM
Courtier

I like the sound of Duke and Duchess of Kendal but I agree that it will most likely be Sussex. The subsidiary titles that go with it will be interesting as I assume that Harry's eldest son will use one of them as his courtesy title in the years to come.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
With me, I knew when my middle name was used. Then it was time to head for the hills or hide under the bed.

We evidently had the same parents! lol
Old 11-29-2017, 08:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Yes! I suggested that ages ago and the response was not great. Lovely to see someone else with the same idea.

Shropshire is interesting but I'm holding back as the abbreviation is Salop.
Yes, Salop would raise more than a few sniggers in French-speaking countries, but so would Sussex, which with the standard heavy French accent, would be rendered Duke & Duchess of Suck + male reproductive organ.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:55 AM
Serene Highness

Hoping it’s not Sussex and is something unexpected. I know it won’t happen though I like Windsor
Old 11-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

I think ONLY those with the maturity levels of an eight year old boy would find something to snigger at in the word Sussex ! Grown-ups surely won't...

Essex, Middlesex really don't attract any problem..
Old 11-29-2017, 09:20 AM
Majesty

Cue for headlines on Harry's wedding day from the Fail. 'It's SusSEX' and all their moronic readers have hysteria!
Old 11-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I think ONLY those with the maturity levels of an eight year old boy would find something to snigger at in the word Sussex ! Grown-ups surely won't...

Essex, Middlesex really don't attract any problem..

Considering how many immature adults I've seen....

LaRae
Old 11-29-2017, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

These are ANCIENT and honourable names [shortened versions of] South Saxon, East Saxon, and Middle Saxon, areas named after the Germanic tribes that settled there after the fall of the Roman Empire in the 5th Century AD...

Ignorant fools should not be pandered to imo.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:34 AM
Royal Highness

I think Sussex sounds tranquil aka "we are living an easy and peaceful life. Move along, there's nothing more to see. We're there as needed but there are others before us." It's not "weighty" like Cambridge and thus appears rather befitting for Harry and Meghan.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Sussex sounds tranquil
Excellent, because it is exactly like that, as well as green and lovely with rolling countryside and ravishing villages. Probably LESS tranquil when the Saxons were knocking about tbh.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
These are ANCIENT and honourable names [shortened versions of] South Saxon, East Saxon, and Middle Saxon, areas named after the Germanic tribes that settled there after the fall of the Roman Empire in the 5th Century AD...

Ignorant fools should not be pandered to imo.
You are preaching to the choir.

LaRae
Old 11-29-2017, 10:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You are preaching to the choir.
Possibly, but there seem to be people here that find Sussex 'unsuitable' because the childish find it funny...
Old 11-29-2017, 10:10 AM
Royal Highness

By the way, I may be completely behind on this, but whomever suggested that Harry may receive the title of Duke of Sussex? Was it posted somewhere?
I would like to read that. This because a lot of people are assuming that this will be Harry's title and I have no idea where it came from.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
By the way, I may be completely behind on this, but whomever suggested that Harry may receive the title of Duke of Sussex? Was it posted somewhere?
I would like to read that. This because a lot of people are assuming that this will be Harry's title and I have no idea where it came from.
It's one of the likely dukedom that is being speculated on as it is available. But there has been no indications from the Palace that it will be that or remotely close.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:45 AM
Majesty

No but there aren't that many well known Royal dukedoms vacant now. York Kent and Gloucester are in use, so is Cambridge. others like Clarence have an awkward pedigree; or are in dispute Like Albany and Cumberland. So there really isn't that much choice...
Old 11-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I'm not from the Netherlands however my whole life I've gone by my middle name. The only time I ever heard my first name was when I was in trouble!!

LaRae
Sorry, wasn't clear enough. In the Netherlands the calling name is typically not the miiddle name but something that is somehow related to your first or to both names. For example a child could be called 'Albert' because his official names are: Alexander Filiberto.

The use of the middle name is more common in Latin America.

Would they also use your last name when you were in trouble

Closed Thread