Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 63 25.7%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 112 45.7%
  • Duke of Kendal

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Duke of Ross

• Duke of Hereford

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Duke of Buckingham

• Something 'New' (Please specify)

• An Earldom (Please specify)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think ONLY those with the maturity levels of an eight year old boy would find something to snigger at in the word Sussex ! Grown-ups surely won't...

Essex, Middlesex really don't attract any problem..

Considering how many immature adults I've seen....

LaRae

These are ANCIENT and honourable names [shortened versions of] South Saxon, East Saxon, and Middle Saxon, areas named after the Germanic tribes that settled there after the fall of the Roman Empire in the 5th Century AD...

Ignorant fools should not be pandered to imo.

I think Sussex sounds tranquil aka "we are living an easy and peaceful life. Move along, there's nothing more to see. We're there as needed but there are others before us." It's not "weighty" like Cambridge and thus appears rather befitting for Harry and Meghan.

Sussex sounds tranquil

Excellent, because it is exactly like that, as well as green and lovely with rolling countryside and ravishing villages. Probably LESS tranquil when the Saxons were knocking about tbh.

These are ANCIENT and honourable names [shortened versions of] South Saxon, East Saxon, and Middle Saxon, areas named after the Germanic tribes that settled there after the fall of the Roman Empire in the 5th Century AD...

Ignorant fools should not be pandered to imo.

You are preaching to the choir.

LaRae

You are preaching to the choir.

Possibly, but there seem to be people here that find Sussex 'unsuitable' because the childish find it funny...

By the way, I may be completely behind on this, but whomever suggested that Harry may receive the title of Duke of Sussex? Was it posted somewhere?
I would like to read that. This because a lot of people are assuming that this will be Harry's title and I have no idea where it came from.

By the way, I may be completely behind on this, but whomever suggested that Harry may receive the title of Duke of Sussex? Was it posted somewhere?
I would like to read that. This because a lot of people are assuming that this will be Harry's title and I have no idea where it came from.

It's one of the likely dukedom that is being speculated on as it is available. But there has been no indications from the Palace that it will be that or remotely close.

No but there aren't that many well known Royal dukedoms vacant now. York Kent and Gloucester are in use, so is Cambridge. others like Clarence have an awkward pedigree; or are in dispute Like Albany and Cumberland. So there really isn't that much choice...

I'm not from the Netherlands however my whole life I've gone by my middle name. The only time I ever heard my first name was when I was in trouble!!

LaRae

Sorry, wasn't clear enough. In the Netherlands the calling name is typically not the miiddle name but something that is somehow related to your first or to both names. For example a child could be called 'Albert' because his official names are: Alexander Filiberto.

The use of the middle name is more common in Latin America.

Would they also use your last name when you were in trouble :whistling:

Umm not usually ....I don't remember that happening.

LaRae

Once again, I enthusiastically vote for “Duke of Earl”, because it comes with a song:

Sorry, wasn't clear enough. In the Netherlands the calling name is typically not the miiddle name but something that is somehow related to your first or to both names. For example a child could be called 'Albert' because his official names are: Alexander Filiberto.

The use of the middle name is more common in Latin America.

Would they also use your last name when you were in trouble :whistling:
That has to be a very old practice because the majority of Dutch people don't have a difference between first name and a calling name.

At one point, after WWII, Winston Churchill was offered the title of ‘Duke of London’, which would have been created for him. He turned it down because his son wished to embark on a life of politics, and would have been unable to enter the House of Commons when/if he inherited the title.

Could Harry be created Duke of London?

I voted "something new"
Wondering if he might be made Duke of Kensington.

He coudld but still I would be thinking of Winston..

I voted for Duke and Duchess of Ross just because I really like the sound of that and it feels like it just fits them. But I would really love to see Ancaster or Kensington. In all likelihood it'll probably be Sussex but in an interesting turn of events it might, just maybe, be Windsor. Though I really doubt it, it might be the perfect time to give Windsor some happy memories to associate with the title and since they've already told us that Windsor is a special place for them...well...who knows. Maybe they'll keep us on our toes and throw that in the mix.

Duke of Sussex seems to be the favourite.

That has to be a very old practice because the majority of Dutch people don't have a difference between first name and a calling name.

It might be more common in certain circles than others and it probably isn't the majority but still a significant number. I personally know many people that have a different name in their passports than the name they use in daily life - especially those that were named after family members. It could even be that you don't know about it because people typically don't advertise it.

I am quite sure that many of their colleagues and friends wouldn't know that my brother, sister, husband, sister-in-law, father, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, nieces, my sister's-in-laws, the children of our best friends, many colleagues (that I only found out about because their official names were used in their theses - a wedding is also one of those moments that you might find out), several former classmates, and the majority of my cousins all have a different official first name than their calling name (and they live in and come from different parts of the Netherlands, from north to middle to south) - so no, definitely not an old practice in the sense that it no longer exists (the youngest in this list is 1) but yes, it is one that is declining is it is becoming less common to name your child after someone.

However, this is hugely off-topic. Hope that whoever reads it still thinks it is interesting. All in all, I really don't see why it would be an issue that Meghan used Meghan her whole life and continues to do so :flowers:

Duke of Sussex seems to be the favourite.

Favorite probably in terms of what is considered most likely, not necessarily what most people would prefer (not that it is a popularity contest).

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were [Heaven forfend] we'd likely end up with Dukey McDukeface...

:lol::lol::lol:

Duke of Sussex is a fine title. My only objection to it is the actual pronunciation of the phrase "Duchess of Sussex" coming from the mouth of anyone with the slightest lisp or speech impediment. It gets very Daffy Duck. Microphones across the world will be showered in spittle on the day of the wedding as presenters refer to Meghan as The Duchess of Sussex.

And, contrary to what someone here mused about HM caring about such things, I've seen her, in a documentary, asking Robert Fellowes to change the wording in some prepared remarks to something easier to say.

I think [if taken slowly] Duchess of Sussex isn't that tricky to pronounce [altho' there are a lot of 'esses' in it] but I'm English and realise it may be more difficult for 'non-natives' !

:lol::lol::lol:

Duke of Sussex is a fine title. My only objection to it is the actual pronunciation of the phrase "Duchess of Sussex" coming from the mouth of anyone with the slightest lisp or speech impediment. It gets very Daffy Duck. Microphones across the world will be showered in spittle on the day of the wedding as presenters refer to Meghan as The Duchess of Sussex.

And, contrary to what someone here mused about HM caring about such things, I've seen her, in a documentary, asking Robert Fellowes to change the wording in some prepared remarks to something easier to say.

Now that I think of it, it makes sense that it would be harder for some people to say than Duchess of Wessex is. The near rhyme is not just the last syllable, it's the preceding vowel sound, too: -uchess/-ussex

I can't remember, did TV commentators refer to William and Kate as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on their wedding day or simply as Prince William and Kate/Catherine?

I remember (vaguely) them carrying on about their new title. But they still referred to him as Prince William and Catherine Middleton/Kate Middleton.

You know how they do...

LaRae

I voted for Duke and Duchess of Ross just because I really like the sound of that and it feels like it just fits them. But I would really love to see Ancaster or Kensington. In all likelihood it'll probably be Sussex but in an interesting turn of events it might, just maybe, be Windsor. Though I really doubt it, it might be the perfect time to give Windsor some happy memories to associate with the title and since they've already told us that Windsor is a special place for them...well...who knows. Maybe they'll keep us on our toes and throw that in the mix.

I voted for the Duke of Clarence, though I like the Duke of Ross, too. :flowers:

I agree about the Duke of Ancaster. Great sound. Windsor sure would be interesting. ;)

Suspect it will be Sussex, like everyone seems to think.

Very cool, ladongas! :cool:

Once again, I enthusiastically vote for “Duke of Earl”, because it comes with a song:

As I've said previously, Duke and Duchess of Ross seems to fit really well for this couple - I don't think it very likely that the queens will pick a Scottish title (although she was the Duchess of Edinburgh for a while) but I would be pleasantly surprised if she did.

As most people expect Sussex, I hope she will choose one of the other traditional (as in: previously used within the royal family) options to not be that predictable.

Last edited:
I like Duke of Clearance for the sound of it. I don't think Cambridge was the frontrunner before it was announced right? HMQ might surprise us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom