The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 63 25.71%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.71%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.27%
Duke of Ross 8 3.27%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.45%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.31%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.27%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.27%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.67%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.45%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 10:32 AM
Nobility

I'm putting in my hope for "Duke of Kensington" That has a nice ring to it. :-)
Also wanted to mention, although any children of Harry and Meghan won't automatically be born with an HRH Prince/Princess, the queen can confer those titles/styles on them if she so chooses.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
I'm putting in my hope for "Duke of Kensington" That has a nice ring to it. :-)
Also wanted to mention, although any children of Harry and Meghan won't automatically be born with an HRH Prince/Princess, the queen can confer those titles/styles on them if she so chooses.
She could - that's why I put a condition on it. I just hope she doesn't. It would be really weird if she had male-line grandchildren that (by exercising her will) aren't a prince and princess while making her great-grandchildren princes and princesses...

Old 11-28-2017, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Dukes of Chandos [extinct since the 18th century], Ancaster and Kesteven [1809], Portland [1990], Greenwich [1743], Bridgewater [1843], Cumberland [1765], Montagu [1790].

And yes, a new title CAN be created HMQ being 'the fount of Honours'.
Ooooh! A smorgasbord! Have to say Clarence for some reason is ringing nicely if it stands independently, but not if one has to reference 'the Clarences'.

One has to have a melodious sounding moniker: 'Honey, the Cumberlands are coming over tonight, have you forgotten?' That plays well.

Montagu sounds very French and Shakespearean. 'Honey, have you forgotten the Montagus are coming over tonight?'

Or even more exotic: 'Honey, have you forgotten the Ancasters are coming over tonight?'

I like Cumberland.

Those are the only three that roll off the tongue (for me):
Old 11-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Nobility

Seeing as Harry and Meghan's first joint engagement is this Friday in Nottingham, maybe they're planning on making him Duke of Nottingham or Nottinghamshire.....
Old 11-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Is Cumberland even an option?

I'm still pulling for Clarence!!!

LARae
Old 11-28-2017, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Although I think the title will end up being Sussex, Duke of Kensington (as unlikely as it is) does sound rather nice.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Is Cumberland even an option?

I'm still pulling for Clarence!!!

LARae
No, it is not. The current pretender would be Ernst August of Hannover. It would be nice if they returned it to his son (Ernst August jr) when he becomes the head of the house.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I like Cumberland.
I do to, but as a very famous variety of English Sausage they may not.. Ancaster sounds terribly grand imo, and Montagu sounds rather Frenchified and medieval. I like them both !
Old 11-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Courtier

Won't William get Highgrove when Charles passes on ?
Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Heir Apparent

'Honey, the Buckinghams are coming to dinner, please put on a clean shirt!' Hmmm....

'Honey, the Buckinghamshires are coming to dinner, please put on a clean shirt!' No.....

'Honey, the Clarences are coming to dinner, please put on a clean shirt!' I dunno.....a little awkward....not trippingly.....exactly.....but.....maybe.....
Old 11-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well unless the Queen creates a new title the choices are kinda limited.

I just had a thought though....Evidently Meghan/Harry have a real fondness for Windsor...so who's to say it won't happen?

LaRae
Old 11-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndaW View Post
Won't William get Highgrove when Charles passes on ?
It's bought with the Duchy's money, so yes, William can use it as The Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall.

As I said, I just used a random title (and Highgrove had a nice royal ring to it; Harry won't be owning Balmoral either ) to avoid starting a discussion over the exact title when only explaining how the title would work for Harry's descendants (independent of the one chosen).
Old 11-28-2017, 11:33 AM
Majesty

Could be Duke of Windsor
Old 11-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Seeing as Harry and Meghan's first joint engagement is this Friday in Nottingham, maybe they're planning on making him Duke of Nottingham or Nottinghamshire.....
I think they’re going to Nottingham because of Harry’s work with AIDS/HIV and Meghan is accompanying them.

Is Nottingham available? I thought someone holds that title.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

There is already an Earl of Nottingham, altho' perhaps 'Sheriff' is available ???

I wonder why Meghan is fond of Windsor particularly ? Perhaps the venue of 'the long walks' ?

Perhaps THEY may 'lance the boil' of that name in a Ducal Title ?
Old 11-28-2017, 11:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
There is already an Earl of Nottingham, altho' perhaps 'Sheriff' is available ???

I wonder why Meghan is fond of Windsor particularly ? Perhaps the venue of 'the long walks' ?

Perhaps THEY may 'lance the boil' of that name in a Ducal Title ?
I LOVE it Sheriff of Nottingham totally fits...
I don’t think anyone will use ‘Duke of Windsor’ again barring some unfortunate circumstances but that would definitely be a surprise and unique
Old 11-28-2017, 11:59 AM
Aristocracy

I love the sound of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. However, the title was created for the ex-King and his not-accepted wife. Granting this title to H&M may suggest that they are 'lesser' or not accepted. Especially if you consider Wallis and Meghan's similarities.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalNight View Post
I love the sound of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. However, the title was created for the ex-King and his not-accepted wife. Granting this title to H&M may suggest that they are 'lesser' or not accepted. Especially if you consider Wallis and Meghan's similarities.
Yes, there is a lot of negative connotations and just bad history with that title. Considering the effect it had on her family and particularly her father, I doubt the Queen, or any other monarch for that matter, would reuse it. The only similarity between Wallis and Meghan is that they’re American which I wouldn’t consider the reason for Edward and Wallis not being accepted. But I think that’s a different thread so I’ll be quiet lol
Old 11-28-2017, 12:23 PM
Nobility

Perhaps they'll have a new title:

Duke & Duchess of Cumbria - a new county which resulted from the amagamation of Cumberland, Westmorland and Furness in NW England

Duke & Duchess of Shropshire - a county on the Welsh border which, like Leicester(shire), Worcester(shire) and other counties has an Earl (of Shrewsbury) but no Duke.

Duke & Duchess of Mercia - a throwback (like Wessex) covering the English Midlands.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
Perhaps they'll have a new title:

Duke & Duchess of Cumbria - a new county which resulted from the amagamation of Cumberland, Westmorland and Furness in NW England

Duke & Duchess of Shropshire - a county on the Welsh border which, like Leicester(shire), Worcester(shire) and other counties has an Earl (of Shrewsbury) but no Duke.

Duke & Duchess of Mercia - a throwback (like Wessex) covering the English Midlands.
Ohhh those sounds interesting. Great thoughts! I wasn’t sure about something new. Are there any other new (or old) counties and such that could be used in a title?

Closed Thread