The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 63 25.71%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.71%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.27%
Duke of Ross 8 3.27%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.45%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.31%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.27%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.27%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.67%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.45%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
What about Exeter, Hereford or Kendal?

Haa! Kendal, that’s the one I was thinking about earlier. Personally I like it better than Sussex, I feel it is a better fit, or Ross. Easy on the tongue.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm weird but the first thing that came to mind for me with Kendal is "Ken Doll".

Old 11-28-2017, 03:56 AM
Majesty

I think it is very likely to be Sussex. There aren't many historical titles left that are not now in use. or in a dispute situation lik Albany. Kendal was used I tink in the time of Charles II. I quite like it....
Old 11-28-2017, 04:45 AM
Courtier

This was probably asked but: can a new title be created?
I mean the duke of Windsor title was a brand new when it was created, if I am not mistaken.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
I mean the duke of Windsor title was a brand new when it was created, if I am not mistaken.
Yes, there's nothing stopping new titles from being created. The Queen could name Harry the Duke of Croydon if she wanted to.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Or Hogwarts!
Old 11-28-2017, 05:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
yes it was, but it had a historic connextion, WIndsor Castle etc and its being the name of the Royal house. Its possible I suppose that the queen might give Harry an earldom, and then when Andrew passes away the DUke of York title would be vacant?
Old 11-28-2017, 05:16 AM
Courtier

Than perhaps they’ll get a brand new name, or maybe the queen will upgrade an earldom to a dukedom.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:29 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Its possible I suppose that the queen might give Harry an earldom, and then when Andrew passes away the DUke of York title would be vacant?
I doubt this would happen. The Duke of York is only 57, compared to the Duke of Edinburgh being 78 in 1999. And given the twelve year age difference between Charles and Andrew, there's a high likelihood that that wouldn't happen until Harry was the second son of the last king, and depending on what happens next spring (or after that?), William might have his own second son.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
I doubt this would happen. The Duke of York is only 57, compared to the Duke of Edinburgh being 78 in 1999. And given the twelve year age difference between Charles and Andrew, there's a high likelihood that that wouldn't happen until Harry was the second son of the last king, and depending on what happens next spring (or after that?), William might have his own second son.
I agree. York may be next used for a second son of William & Kate, if they have one. Andrew was born in 1960, so he'll be 58 next year. If W&K have a son in 2018, and if that son marries in his mid thirties (he'd be 32 in 2050), Andrew's title may be vacant. He will be in his 90s, if he's still alive.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Dukes of Chandos [extinct since the 18th century], Ancaster and Kesteven [1809], Portland [1990], Greenwich [1743], Bridgewater [1843], Cumberland [1765], Montagu [1790].

And yes, a new title CAN be created HMQ being 'the fount of Honours'.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Okay, then I've got it! Suffolk! Yes! That's the one! Now I can go to bed. All sorted.

P.S. Though I'm getting a sense that maybe Connaught is the one. It has a certain class and uniqueness.
Suffolk is not available: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michae...arl_of_Suffolk
Old 11-28-2017, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

All I can think of when I see Ross is Mike Ross, Rachel Zane's (Meghan's character on Suits) love interest.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Inverness [extinct since 1873]
One of Prince Andrew's titles is Earl of Inverness.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:37 AM
Heir Apparent

^ Oops.. amended accordingly !
Old 11-28-2017, 08:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
I agree. York may be next used for a second son of William & Kate, if they have one. Andrew was born in 1960, so he'll be 58 next year. If W&K have a son in 2018, and if that son marries in his mid thirties (he'd be 32 in 2050), Andrew's title may be vacant. He will be in his 90s, if he's still alive.
Don’t they usually keep it vacant longer since the York Princess will always be princesses of York during their lifetimes?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:45 AM
Majesty

Beatrice and Eugenie will probably be long married by then and using their husbands' titles or terms of address. Only if they remain single will they be 'of York'.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:20 AM
Majesty

Just highlighting and editing my previous post about possible titles for Harry:

From my perspective the options (all used as royal dukedom before) are:
* Clarence (with the issues of previous title holders)
* Sussex (the most mentioned but also rather dull option)
* Avondale (Scottish; was used in combination with Clarence but as it was the second title it doesn't have a very clear link to previous holders)
* Kendal (was considered for the husband of Princess Charlotte of Wales; the one who would have been queen instead of Victoria had she not died at a relatively young age)
* Ross (Scottish)

The first two are most likely, however, a surprise would be nice. Personally, I really like 'Duke of Ross' for Harry. It has a nice sound to it and seems to fit his personality (as far as a title fits with specific personalities). Avondale also has a nice ring to it but not necessarily for Harry.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Thank you all for the explanations. Not that I understand nor have retained any of it. Methinks all this is on the order of that old stand-by, the 'need-to-know'. I don't really need to know all this so it doesn't stick at all. Of course, it could also be mother-brain in operation. Yes.
Let's imagine that Harry is created Duke of Highgrove, Earl of Balmoral, Baron Enniskillen (to not pick likely contenders) on his wedding day.

During the Queen's reign:
Harry and Meghan will be The Duke and Duchess of Highgrove
As male-line great-grandchildren of the monarch (Elizabeth) their children will not be styled as princess, but as children of a Duke.
So, their eldest son will use Harry's secondary title and will be known as the Earl of Balmoral
Other sons would be: Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor
Daughters would be: Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor

During Charles' reign and afterwards (under the condition that the current Letters' Patent are not somehow changed). Harry and Meghan will remain The Duke and Duchess of Highgrove, but as male-line grandchildren of the (former) monarch (Charles) their children will be styled as princes and princesses 'of Highgrove'.
Harry & Meghan's male-line grandchildren will be male-line great-grandchildren of a monarch (Charles), so the above applies again. The eldest son of their eldest son (the line in which the title will be passed on) will be the Earl of Balmoral - if he would have a son, the eldest son would be known as Baron Enniskillen. All others are Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor. They, however, will never become princes and princesses. Only the title of the heir will change at some point to take over Harry's title as Duke and then the secondary titles also pass down one generation.
H&M's female-line grandchildren will be Miss/Mister 'Surname of their father'.

H&M's eldest son (if they have one) will most likely at some point become HRH The Duke of Highgrove (unless LPs' are changed); his children will be Lord's and Lady's, his male-line grandchildren by his eldest son as well - but by other sons and daughters any grandchildren would just by Miss/Mister Mountbatten-Windsor (for male-line), Surname of their father (for female-line). His eldest son (a great-grandson of Charles) will be known as Earl of Balmoral until he become the Duke of Highgrove - when he takes over the Duke title, he will not be a Royal Highness but a His Grace as the title ceases to be a Royal Dukedom (as we will see in the next decades with the Duke of Kent and Duke of Gloucester titles).

Hmm, don't think it is much clear now, actually. Most important is that:
1) Only children and male-line children of the monarch are prince(ss) with the 'territory' of Harry's Dukedom.
2) Children of titled descendants (who are not prince(sse)s are Lord / Lady Mountbatten-Windsor, except for the direct (male-line heirs) who will use the secondary title(s).
3) The Dukedom ceases to be royal (HRH --> HG; also has implications for order of precedence) when it is passed on to someone who is not a son or a male-line grandson of a monarch.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm weird but the first thing that came to mind for me with Kendal is "Ken Doll".

He’d be the Duke of Kendal Mint Cake! Hehehe