The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 63 25.71%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.71%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.27%
Duke of Ross 8 3.27%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.45%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.31%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.27%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.27%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.67%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.45%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 07:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem7 View Post
That's probably my post when I thought William and Catherine's titles were announced a day before their wedding, but it was actually announced the morning of their wedding. I got the time wrong on the Clarence House tweet. It was posted at 11:59 PM my time, Apr 28 , USA West Coast (7:59 AM UK Time, Apr 29), but I had read the tweet incorrectly as Apr 28 11:59 AM my time.
Gah, the suspense is killing me lol!

Old 05-17-2018, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

So, I will know on the morning of Saturday since Portugal have the same time zone as England. How exciting! Can't wait!

Old 05-17-2018, 08:44 PM
Courtier

I know Clarence and Sussex are the two leading choices but I am still hoping for a surprise choice like Duke and Duchess of Ross, as I just find Ross more elegant than Clarence or Sussex. But we will see what happens. Not long now.

As for how Harry and Meghan's future children will be styled, I think it's a toss up. Maybe the two would prefer their children not to be styled HRH, but if Charles would like all his grandchildren styled as such, I don't see Harry and Meghan objecting.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:02 PM
Aristocracy

I completely agree with you on both points.

1. I think Ross sounds very classy and talk about life imitating art. On Suits Rachel becomes Rachel Ross and in real life Meghan will be officially Rachel of Ross. It is a longshot though.

2. I believe I read somewhere that even though Charles plans on streamlining the Monarchy, his sons are very much going to be part of that and IMO Charles would want all his grandchildren to have the HRH title. I don't see H&M objecting to that if it is his wish.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
I just think that given the more laid back people that Harry and Meghan are....they would prefer that their children would not be burdened with HRH Prince/Princess titles. It would give their children more privacy.
Why is having a HRH Prince/Princess title a burden?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:52 PM
Royal Highness

Comparing Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie with Lady Louise and Viscount Severn Or Peter and Zara Phillips...who were able to have more private lives?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:14 PM
Aristocracy

^ But I don't necessarily think that's about their titles. Honestly no matter their children are called there will be INTENSE interest as this is one of Diana's sons we're talking about and social media changes everything re: public interest and privacy of the BRF.

Plus I think a precedent has been set in the way Kate's pregnancies and the Cambridge kids have been covered. Yes they are higher in Line but the public doesn't care about that. What they want to see is cute royal children which is what H&M's children will be regardless of title and I don't think styling them as 'Lord/Lady' is going to lessen that.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

I agree...doesn't matter if Harry's kids have no title at all, folks will be interested in them.

LaRae
Old 05-17-2018, 10:24 PM
Royal Highness

OK! Points taken!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:40 PM

I think the Queen will stick to the C's: Cornwall, Cambridge, Clarence!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpeaches View Post
Clarence is good but it unfortunately reminds me of Richard III's brother Clarence being drowned in a butt of malmsey in the play. I guarantee you if I remember that cultural reference then other, less educated people will.

I go with Duke and Duchess Of Sussex.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

That's my hope! Clarence!

Both of them are related to the first Duke of Clarence!

LaRae
Old 05-17-2018, 11:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EloisevonLippe View Post
^ But I don't necessarily think that's about their titles. Honestly no matter their children are called there will be INTENSE interest as this is one of Diana's sons we're talking about and social media changes everything re: public interest and privacy of the BRF.

Plus I think a precedent has been set in the way Kate's pregnancies and the Cambridge kids have been covered. Yes they are higher in Line but the public doesn't care about that. What they want to see is cute royal children which is what H&M's children will be regardless of title and I don't think styling them as 'Lord/Lady' is going to lessen that.
Prince Harry is not only one of only 2 sons of the future king, but he is also the son of Diana. Add to that his wife is a former actress. The reality is their kids are going to be of interest for years to come. Whether they are Lord and Lady or Prince and Princes. Harry and Meghan will not fall into the shadow of interest until George and his siblings start taking on duties which wont be for some decades to come. And that will affect his kids.

Having no prince/ss title will not make life any easier/less public.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:26 AM
Courtier

Would it be too much to have three Cs?
Clarence has some familiarity and also is the name of the three legged lion who died a year or two back in Uganda.
What is the full list of all (obvious and obscure) Dukedoms available?
Is there a site to peruse?

Harry The Duke of Hereford sounds handsome to the ear.

I'm hoping for the Queen to offer a Dukedom to Eugenie, and her other grandchildren on marriage.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Would it be too much to have three Cs?
Clarence has some familiarity and also is the name of the three legged lion who died a year or two back in Uganda.
It would only be for a few years with 3 C's as William and Catherine will likely become the Prince and Pricness of Wales and Camilla will become either the Queen or the Princess Consort.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpeaches View Post
Cornwall was no choice. Since 1337 the oldest living son of the monarch is automatically The Duke of Cornwall.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:51 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm going with the 'wild card'..

TRH the Duke a Duchess of Powis..

a nod to Cymru, and way of keeping Wales 'in Harry's 'picture'..
Old 05-18-2018, 07:05 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Cornwall was no choice. Since 1337 the oldest living son of the monarch is automatically The Duke of Cornwall.
A minor clarification: the oldest living son who is also heir apparent. If Charles dies before the Queen, Andrew will not become Duke of Cornwall.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:29 AM
Heir Apparent

When shall we know ???? I mean officially ?
Old 05-18-2018, 07:30 AM
Serene Highness

We don't know for certain but William's title was announced at 8:00 a.m. UK time the morning of his wedding.

Closed Thread