The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 63 25.71%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.71%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.27%
Duke of Ross 8 3.27%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.45%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.31%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.27%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.27%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.67%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.45%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 03:12 PM
Serene Highness

Because it's questionable whether or not Albany can be used I don't think it will.

For those of you who want to learn the history of the title, here's a link from The Complete Peerage:

Albany

Albany is a Scottish title first used by the Scottish royal family in 1398:

https://archive.org/stream/completep...ge/76/mode/2up

Clarence

Clarence might also be questionable because the Earl of Clarence is a subsidiary title of the Duke of Albany. As cmsteepy pointed out its one of the original English dukedoms, dating back to 1362, and has always been associated with the Royal Family:

https://archive.org/stream/completep...e/256/mode/2up

Ross

I'm rooting for Ross, a Scottish title, but it's association with the royal family isn't lengthy as Clarence's:

https://archive.org/stream/completep.../n417/mode/2up

[NOTE: as The Complete Peerage notes, the royal Earls of Ross were also Dukes of Albany so you will also need to refer to that entry]

Sussex

And finally, the media's favorite, Sussex, which did not become a royal title until 1801:

https://archive.org/stream/completep.../n333/mode/2up

Old 05-04-2018, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

I would rather have Clarence, Ross or Albany...not a fan of Sussex because we already have Wessex going on.

LaRae

Old 05-04-2018, 03:39 PM
Majesty

I still love the ring of 'Duke and Duchess of Ross' for this couple - but Meghan's last act as an actress was to become 'mrs Mike Ross', so I wonder whether that would be taken into account in the decision.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I would rather have Clarence, Ross or Albany...not a fan of Sussex because we already have Wessex going on.
LaRae
Wessex took some getting used to. Thankfully I don't think Harry will end up with something Anglo-Saxon like that, such as Duke of Mercia or Bernicia. I'd even prefer Sussex; at least its a traditional title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I still love the ring of 'Duke and Duchess of Ross' for this couple - but Meghan's last act as an actress was to become 'mrs Mike Ross', so not sure whether that would be taken into account in the decision.
I didn't know that. Now I'm having second thoughts about Ross too. Sigh.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Clarence, Clarence, Clarence....

LaRae
Old 05-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Serene Highness

Sounds like you're auditioning for Jimmy Stewart's part in "It's a Wonderful Life"!
Old 05-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I cannot hear 'Clarence' without picturing Harry drowning in a Butt of Malmsey, so its a NO from me...
Old 05-04-2018, 05:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Boohoo to you wyevale!

One of my favorite movies ever, It's a Wonderful Life!

LaRae
Old 05-04-2018, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I cannot hear 'Clarence' without picturing Harry drowning in a Butt of Malmsey, so its a NO from me...
Yes. That's what I think of, too.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Wessex took some getting used to. Thankfully I don't think Harry will end up with something Anglo-Saxon like that, such as Duke of Mercia or Bernicia. I'd even prefer Sussex; at least its a traditional title.
The Duke of Mercia would be nice because there would be a brand new beginning for a title without a past. Prince Harry would be the history maker. Also Meghan as The Duchess of Mercia would be the history maker.
The Duke and Duchess of Mercia: A New Beginning
Old 05-04-2018, 10:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
All I can think of when I see Ross is Mike Ross, Rachel Zane's (Meghan's character on Suits) love interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I still love the ring of 'Duke and Duchess of Ross' for this couple - but Meghan's last act as an actress was to become 'mrs Mike Ross', so I wonder whether that would be taken into account in the decision.
Yes, Mike Ross is what I think of too--I mentioned that back last November early on in the thread.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:47 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
not to stray too far off topic, but i did want to comment - love the idea of the Cambridge dukedom living on through Louis
Yes, I agree that would be interesting, however, Prince George is in line to inherit the Cambridge title. On the other hand, Prince George is in line for a whole lot of other titles, i.e., Cornwall, Rothesay, Wales & King. Cambridge certainly seems like something that could be given up and granted to his brother Prince Louis. It could be a situation where once Prince William is King, and Louis is ready to get married in +/- 30 years, William will grant the title to Louis if York is not available.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Yes, Mike Ross is what I think of too--I mentioned that back last November early on in the thread.
Sorry, I didn't see your earlier post, that was before I joined Royal Forums.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsteepy View Post
Yes, I agree that would be interesting, however, Prince George is in line to inherit the Cambridge title. On the other hand, Prince George is in line for a whole lot of other titles, i.e., Cornwall, Rothesay, Wales & King. Cambridge certainly seems like something that could be given up and granted to his brother Prince Louis. It could be a situation where once Prince William is King, and Louis is ready to get married in +/- 30 years, William will grant the title to Louis if York is not available.
George will only inherit Cambridge if William dies before Charles. Once William becomes King the title will merge with the Crown.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:54 PM
Commoner

[QUOTE=Pranter;2102330]Oh I am..for Clarence!
It is at least in the realm of possibility!!!!

I think it is more than just a possibility. As I have laid out my theory earlier on this subject I think it probably got serious consideration. And . . . as others are speculating here over the last day or so about how the Royal family has been throwing surprises at us, makes me think the potential is even stronger???
Old 05-04-2018, 11:07 PM
Commoner

[QUOTE=Pranter;2102429]I would rather have Clarence, Ross or Albany...not a fan of Sussex because we already have Wessex going on.

All but one of the old Saxon kingdoms are in use including Essex which is currently an Earldom held by the Capell family. Sussex (meaning South Saxon) is the only one not in use which is why it is a leading candidate for Prince Harry. Personally, as most of you know, I am routing for Clarence.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't see your earlier post, that was before I joined Royal Forums.
I just found it funny that the idea of "of Ross" conjured up Mike Ross for someone else, not just me.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The only way George will be Duke of Cambridge is if William dies before his father. The moment William becomes king, the title will merge with the throne. At that point it needs to be recreated for the next holder.

Quote:
All but one of the old Saxon kingdoms are in use including Essex which is currently an Earldom held by the Capell family. Sussex (meaning South Saxon) is the only one not in use which is why it is a leading candidate for Prince Harry. Personally, as most of you know, I am routing for Clarence.
Yes and no. There are several of them that aren't currently in use. The issue would be that those old kingdoms were broken up into new territories. And the new territories do have dukes and earls.

The heptarchy of the Saxon kingdoms:

the ones whose titles are not currently in use (but areas in their kingdom may have a peer already)
1. Northumbria: last earl was in the 13th century. But the area was broken into York and Northumberland
2. Mercia: last earl was in 1071. Chester and Shrewsbury are in the location now.
3. East Anglia: hasn't been used since the Norman conquest
4. Sussex: only used once, for the son of George III

those whose titles are currently in use
5. Essex: currently the 11th earl of the 9th creation
6. Kent: Duke and Duchess of Kent
7. Wessex: Earl and Countess of Wessex
Old 05-04-2018, 11:12 PM
Commoner

Quote:
George will only inherit Cambridge if William dies before Charles. Once William becomes King the title will merge with the Crown.
I agree with that and once it does merge with the Crown, doesn't that make the title available for a new grant to Louis?
Old 05-04-2018, 11:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I agree with that and once it does merge with the Crown, doesn't that make the title available for a new grant to Louis?
I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood your previous message. Yes, once the title merges with the Crown (because William becomes King, or George if William dies before Charles) the title can be recreated for Louis.

Closed Thread