The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 63 25.71%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.71%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.27%
Duke of Ross 8 3.27%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.45%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.31%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.27%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.27%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.67%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.45%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I can't imagine why it woud not be a dukedom. Edward only got an earldom because at the time the RF was not very popular.. and they were tryng to "downsize" on te wedding and the titles.. and there was the idea that he would get Philip's Dukedom later on....
Oh, I can't either, really. I just always enjoy it when expectations and assumptions are overturned. And this couple has a good record of not doing the expected, so nothing would totally shock me.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
If Harry had the possibility to "wish" a dukedom? I am sure that Harry and Meghan already know how their future title!
I think you're right. The Queen probably consulted with Harry & Meghan before deciding on the title & they already know what it is.

I can't wait until it's announced!

Old 05-04-2018, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duke and Duchess of Albany
Old 05-04-2018, 12:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

I thought Albany was off the table due to there being claimants?

LaRae
Old 05-04-2018, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I thought Albany was off the table due to there being claimants? LaRae
Think positive.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

Is there a plan afoot to eliminate the claimants?
Old 05-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Yes, and George V also gave Albert the same subsidiary titles he had used - Earl of Inverness and Baron Killarney. It was quite an honor for the Prince. It would also be an honor if William eventually gives Louis his own titles.

I think Countessmeout made some very good points & none of William's sons will likely be given the York title.

not to stray too far off topic, but i did want to comment - love the idea of the Cambridge dukedom living on through Louis
Old 05-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I thought Albany was off the table due to there being claimants?

LaRae
It remains unclear. See the last page of posts.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Think positive.
Oh I am..for Clarence!

It is at least in the realm of possibility!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Is there a plan afoot to eliminate the claimants?

I know nothing!!!!!! (insert affected German voice)

LaRae
Old 05-04-2018, 12:47 PM
Moderator Emeritus

With only 2 weeks until the wedding, it is unlikely that Parliament will be issuing a change to the Titles Deprivation Act in order to make Albany available.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

It might have been discussed here before and I apologize, but we will know the dukedom of Harry and Meghan on the wedding day or days before? I can't remember how it went for William and Catherine.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
not to stray too far off topic, but i did want to comment - love the idea of the Cambridge dukedom living on through Louis
That will not happen because George is the first heir of the body male to the current Duke. When William becomes King, the Dukedom of Cambridge will revert to the Crown.

In the situation that William dies before the kingship, his eldest son George will be the 2nd Duke of Cambridge. When George becomes King, the Dukedom of Cambridge will revert to the Crown.

In the situation that George dies before the kingship, his eldest son will be the 3rd Duke of Cambridge. If there is no son, his younger brother Prince Louis will become the 3rd Duke of Cambridge indeed.

The most likely scenario for making Prince Louis Duke of Cambridge is only possible when a King William or a King George create Prince Louis a new Duke of Cambridge. But then Prince Louis will not be the 3rd Duke of Cambridge by inheritance but the 1st Duke by a new creation.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
It might have been discussed here before and I apologize, but we will know the dukedom of Harry and Meghan on the wedding day or days before? I can't remember how it went for William and Catherine.
Day of the wedding.

LaRae
Old 05-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

The most likely scenario for making Prince Louis Duke of Cambridge is only possible when a King William or a King George create Prince Louis a new Duke of Cambridge.
I think this is exactly what MichelleQ2 meant by the Cambridge Dukedom living on through Louis.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
With only 2 weeks until the wedding, it is unlikely that Parliament will be issuing a change to the Titles Deprivation Act in order to make Albany available.
It is unlikely that there will be a new creation of the dukedom of Albany, but a verdict that it was not "reasonable" for Charles Edward's children "not to have been aware at the time of the marriage that the [Royal Marriages] Act applied to" their marriages would make Albany available without changing the Titles Deprivation Act, since the descendants would be considered under British law to still be illegitimate in spite of the Succession to the Crown Act.

(5)A void marriage under that Act is to be treated as never having been void if—

(a)neither party to the marriage was one of the 6 persons next in the line of succession to the Crown at the time of the marriage,

(b)no consent was sought under section 1 of that Act, or notice given under section 2 of that Act, in respect of the marriage,

(c)in all the circumstances it was reasonable for the person concerned not to have been aware at the time of the marriage that the Act applied to it, and

(d)no person acted, before the coming into force of this section, on the basis that the marriage was void.
Succession to the Crown Act 2013
Old 05-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Moderator Emeritus

And the topic of whether or not Charles Edward’s descendants are in the line of succession is off topic.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I apologize. Just to clarify, my comments were intended to refer to the dukedom of Albany and not the succession to the throne.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
And the topic of whether or not Charles Edward’s descendants are in the line of succession is off topic.
But the question on whether they can or cannot legally claim the title of Duke of Albany is not, because it affects the possibility of the Queen granting that dukedom to Harry or not.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Ish - not sure if wording this correctly but would parliament need to intervene if the Albany claimants gave up their rights to the title?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Ish - not sure if wording this correctly but would parliament need to intervene if the Albany claimants gave up their rights to the title?
No claim has been made in the past 100 years, so we should assume that they are not interested. Furthermore, as Tatiana Maria pointed out, the living male descendants of Charles Edward would only have a (potential) claim if they could prove that they have been legitimized in the UK under the Sucession to the Crown Act 2013. Before that act came into effect, they were illegitimate under the Royal Marriages Act and, therefore, had no claim at all, notwithstanding any provisions in the Titles Deprivation Act.

Closed Thread