Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 63 25.7%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 112 45.7%
  • Duke of Kendal

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Duke of Ross

• Duke of Hereford

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Duke of Buckingham

• Something 'New' (Please specify)

• An Earldom (Please specify)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya'll I have been trying to say The Duchess of Sussex without tripping over my tongue for 10 minutes now.

Last edited:
Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children

Does Louise use “Wessex” or “Windsor” though? James may use “Severn” as a surname, but I suspect Louise simply uses “Windsor” - she isn’t “of Wessex” in any way.

Likewise, what name is used for Harry’s future children’s surnames is going to really depend on who’s reigning when their starting school (and if it’s intended for them to ever be HRH Prince/Princess). They might very well go the Windsor route.

I’d add, Harry’s descendants’ family name is going to be “Mountbatten-Windsor” regardless of what his title is. His male-line grandchildren will all use that, and his children (if born in the Queen’s lifetime) will all be born with that.

That type of question is a waste of interview time imo, because after all, the answer is a given. :huh: Though Harry made a delightful witticism ('Not currently', or something like that), did I detect a slight annoyance? Slight? Understandable, because as the interviewee one is trapped into giving the rote answer. Annoying. Imagine if the interviewee proclaims 'Heck no, we despise children. They are okay on walk-abouts, but up-close-and-personal, no thank you!' ? Besides, Harry already answered that question years ago. It's on the record, he wants a family. Why ask?

I am starting to agree about Sussex. I liked it lots once but I'm now wondering if there is something else. However, what would be a real issue (for me) is the fact that the title name becomes the family name (ex: George Cambridge, Louise Wessex). That being the case, Sussex re-enters the list of contenders.

Am I correct that whatever title name then becomes Harry's family name down through the generations of his family? If that is the case, one needs to choose carefully.

Sussex is okay. Buckingham is interesting. Someone mentioned the Duke of Ross. I like that (we were watching Poldark this last weekend). ;)

That's not the case- title will not be the last name for Harry's descendants- (Cambridge and Wessex are used as place holders for those who have titles/courtesy titles. Louise is actually Lady Louise Windsor)

All of Harry's descendants who don't have titles will be Mountbatten-Windsors per the letters patent from 1960.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountbatten-Windsor

I am starting to agree about Sussex. I liked it lots once but I'm now wondering if there is something else. However, what would be a real issue (for me) is the fact that the title name becomes the family name (ex: George Cambridge, Louise Wessex). That being the case, Sussex re-enters the list of contenders.

Am I correct that whatever title name then becomes Harry's family name down through the generations of his family? If that is the case, one needs to choose carefully.

Sussex is okay. Buckingham is interesting. Someone mentioned the Duke of Ross. I like that (we were watching Poldark this last weekend). ;)

George is called George Cambridge because he is Prince George. His father's title is just used as his last name just as William and Harry used Wales. But when William filed the lawsuit in France over the long lens photographs of his wife he used William Mountbatten-Windsor.

Louise is not Louise Wessex, she is Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor.

Thank you all for the explanations. :flowers: Not that I understand nor have retained any of it. ? Methinks all this is on the order of that old stand-by, the 'need-to-know'. I don't really need to know all this so it doesn't stick at all. Of course, it could also be mother-brain in operation. Yes. :huh:

What about Exeter, Hereford or Kendal?

The only one that is possible really would be Kendal. While not as a duchy, the other two are used currently in other forms.

There is a Marquis of Exeter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquess_of_Exeter

And a Viscount Hereford
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscount_Hereford

I notice that the media is quite sure that it will be Duke of Sussex. With William, there seemed to be three options being suggested. DM has been printing Sussex like its a given.:ermm:

I notice that the media is quite sure that it will be Duke of Sussex. With William, there seemed to be three options being suggested. DM has been printing Sussex like its a given.:ermm:

Do you recall the three? :flowers:

Do you recall the three? :flowers:

Cambridge (as it had supposedly been considered for Edward), Sussex and Suffolk were the three main ones.

Clarence, Kendal and Connaught all were thrown out there as well.

Cambridge (as it had supposedly been considered for Edward), Sussex and Suffolk were the three main ones.

Clarence, Kendal and Connaught all were thrown out there as well.

Okay, then I've got it! :flowers: Suffolk! Yes! That's the one! Now I can go to bed. All sorted.

P.S. Though I'm getting a sense that maybe Connaught is the one. It has a certain class and uniqueness.

Last edited:
Connaught isn't possible as it is in the Republic of Ireland and there is no way the Queen (or the PM for that matter) would attempt to create a title that relates to a place in a republic.

Whatever place is chosen it will be in the UK and not outside it.

The Republic of Ireland isn't even in the Commonwealth so it is a real no no.

Okay, then I've got it! :flowers: Suffolk! Yes! That's the one! Now I can go to bed. All sorted.

P.S. Though I'm getting a sense that maybe Connaught is the one. It has a certain class and uniqueness.

Connaught wont be used. While it was suggested, it wasn't one that would have been considered. Connaught is part of the Republic of Ireland. Though they often get an Irish title, William's Carrickfergus, the titles come from northern Ireland which is still a realm.

Is it Harry that will choose from a selection of names given to him by the Queen? Is that how it goes? :ermm:

Oh! I like Suffolk. It would be especially fitting if Harry and Meghan decide to have a country home near Sandringham as I believe Suffolk is actually in that geographical area.

Oh! I like Suffolk. It would be especially fitting if Harry and Meghan decide to have a country home near Sandringham as I believe Suffolk is actually in that geographical area.

But I'm wagering that they pick a house in the West Country. :flowers: In the vicinity of Highgrove or thereabouts.

But I'm wagering that they pick a house in the West Country. :flowers: In the vicinity of Highgrove or thereabouts.

Same here. But, having said that, I do like Suffolk better than Sussex. I can be on board with TRH The Duke and Duchess of Suffolk!

Fortunately their title is not based on their country residence (no longer the days when you were lord of the land). Neither Andrew or Edward live in York or the area Wessex once was. So I wouldn't rule out Suffolk even if they have a home near high grove.

Is it Harry that will choose from a selection of names given to him by the Queen? Is that how it goes?

We have no idea. The decision is made by the queen and announced. If that is made, by her choosing a few and offering Harry a choice, we will never know. What titles are up for consideration is speculation.

Haa! Kendal, that’s the one I was thinking about earlier. Personally I like it better than Sussex, I feel it is a better fit, or Ross. Easy on the tongue.

I'm weird but the first thing that came to mind for me with Kendal is "Ken Doll".
:eek:

I think it is very likely to be Sussex. There aren't many historical titles left that are not now in use. or in a dispute situation lik Albany. Kendal was used I tink in the time of Charles II. I quite like it....

This was probably asked but: can a new title be created?
I mean the duke of Windsor title was a brand new when it was created, if I am not mistaken.

I mean the duke of Windsor title was a brand new when it was created, if I am not mistaken.
Yes, there's nothing stopping new titles from being created. The Queen could name Harry the Duke of Croydon if she wanted to.

:previous: Or Hogwarts! :whistling:

yes it was, but it had a historic connextion, WIndsor Castle etc and its being the name of the Royal house. Its possible I suppose that the queen might give Harry an earldom, and then when Andrew passes away the DUke of York title would be vacant?

Than perhaps they’ll get a brand new name, or maybe the queen will upgrade an earldom to a dukedom.

Its possible I suppose that the queen might give Harry an earldom, and then when Andrew passes away the DUke of York title would be vacant?

I doubt this would happen. The Duke of York is only 57, compared to the Duke of Edinburgh being 78 in 1999. And given the twelve year age difference between Charles and Andrew, there's a high likelihood that that wouldn't happen until Harry was the second son of the last king, and depending on what happens next spring (or after that?), William might have his own second son.

I doubt this would happen. The Duke of York is only 57, compared to the Duke of Edinburgh being 78 in 1999. And given the twelve year age difference between Charles and Andrew, there's a high likelihood that that wouldn't happen until Harry was the second son of the last king, and depending on what happens next spring (or after that?), William might have his own second son.

I agree. York may be next used for a second son of William & Kate, if they have one. Andrew was born in 1960, so he'll be 58 next year. If W&K have a son in 2018, and if that son marries in his mid thirties (he'd be 32 in 2050), Andrew's title may be vacant. He will be in his 90s, if he's still alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom