The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 63 25.71%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.71%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.27%
Duke of Ross 8 3.27%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.45%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.31%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.27%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.27%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.67%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.45%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was thinking the same thing. Duchess and Sussex tend to run into each other so I hope they get something else.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:43 PM
Courtier

He can always get a dukedom in Scotland, i believe there’s a couple of them open, and an earldom in England. Like Edward, when he’ll eventually get the duke of Edinburgh title.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
He can always get a dukedom in Scotland, i believe there’s a couple of them open, and an earldom in England. Like Edward, when he’ll eventually get the duke of Edinburgh title.
And like his paternal grandfather Prince Philip who is The Duke of Edinburgh (scottish title), Earl of Merioneth (welch title) and Baron Greenwich (british title).

Duke of Ross is available. Was created twice a long ago for younger sons of the King of Scotland. Though it would feel a little bit strange if Scotland would vote themselves away from UK and both Harry and Edward would be known by Scottish titles.....
Old 11-27-2017, 07:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Duchess and Sussex tend to run into each other so I hope they get something else.
Same as with Countess and Wessex, and it seems to work.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
And like his paternal grandfather Prince Philip who is The Duke of Edinburgh (scottish title), Earl of Merioneth (welch title) and Baron Greenwich (british title).

Duke of Ross is available. Was created twice a long ago for younger sons of the King of Scotland. Though it would feel a little bit strange if Scotland would vote themselves away from UK and both Harry and Edward would be known by Scottish titles.....
As far as I know both Wales and Scotland are also part of Britain; I am sure you meant to say English title
Old 11-27-2017, 08:26 PM
Aristocracy

Either Duke of Sussex or Duke of Brandon would be good titles. (Is there a Dukedom of Brandon?)
Old 11-27-2017, 08:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

- Sussex is too easy for a nasty joke
- Clarence sounds nice but bad memories

What about Connaught ?
Old 11-27-2017, 08:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
-

What about Connaught ?
Connaught is in Ireland, not the UK.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
Connaught is in Ireland, not the UK.
I pretty know that, but it's a royal dukedom available.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Not really--the part of Ireland that Connaught is in, is not part of the United Kingdom--it is part of the Republic of Ireland.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:06 PM
Heir Apparent

They would never use an Irish place name for a prince of the UK. Even Scotland is not that likely for Harry, even though I wish it was.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
If it was in the six counties yes but not in the republic so Connaught it out due to its geographical location in Eire.

A title in Northern Ireland is possible but not outside the UK itself.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If it was in the six counties yes but not in the republic so Connaught it out due to its geographical location in Eire.

A title in Northern Ireland is possible but not outside the UK itself.
Despite knowing it won't happen, I can't stop hoping the subsidiary titles of royals would include a title in each of the realms, to tie the Royal Family closer to every realm, and not just the U.K.

I must confess, I don't think Sussex is a good choice linguistically, but hopefully, that is not the consideration H.M has on her mind when designating titles :)
Old 11-27-2017, 09:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRohan View Post
Despite knowing it won't happen, I can't stop hoping the subsidiary titles of royals would include a title in each of the realms, to tie the Royal Family closer to every realm, and not just the U.K.

I must confess, I don't think Sussex is a good choice linguistically, but hopefully, that is not the consideration H.M has on her mind when designating titles :)
I don't understand "would include a title in each of the realms, to tie the Royal Family closer to every realm, and not just the U.K." What realms?
The United Kingdom is England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Do you mean you wish they got 4 titles?
Old 11-27-2017, 09:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I don't understand "would include a title in each of the realms, to tie the Royal Family closer to every realm, and not just the U.K." What realms?
The United Kingdom is England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Do you mean you wish they got 4 titles?
Maybe all other 'realms' within the Commonwealth of which the Queen is the Head of State - but they would result in quite a list. Three seems fine from a user perspective. That covers three generation; sometimes there is a fourth generation but by the time they come of age most likely the titles have passed down.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:03 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRohan View Post

Most of the other Realms don’t have a title system though, so it wouldn’t really be appropriate. You’re also likely to run into backlash from the more republican Realms (ie Australia, the Bahamas, etc), and even feed into republicanism in the less republican Realms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are not individual Realms. England (with Wales), Scotland, and Northern Ireland each form a kingdom within the Realm of the United Kingdom. HM is monarch of 16 Realms in total, of which the UK is only one - Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc, make up the other 15.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post

England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are not individual Realms. England (with Wales), Scotland, and Northern Ireland each form a kingdom within the Realm of the United Kingdom. HM is monarch of 16 Realms in total, of which the UK is only one - Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc, make up the other 15.
Thanks for the geographical lesson, but I was trying to get LadyRohan to explain what she meant with her original post--that's why I quoted her in my question to her.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:15 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Which I explained... you’ve misunderstood what “Realm” means.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Which I explained... you’ve misunderstood what “Realm” means.
Last comment but no I didn't. I was trying to clarify what the original poster meant-you misunderstood what was mine and what I quoted of hers in my question to her. All the realm stuff was originally hers. See quotation marks. I didn't think she actually meant they should get 15 or so titles so...
Old 11-27-2017, 10:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Yes, of course. I was trying to express that my hope is they will indeed (be able to) have children as that is not a given and because that is clearly what they want; and it was Harry who had the clear timeline in mind with his 'one step at a time' (only the 'in the near future' was a quote, the second part was a summary of what he also implied). Sorry, if I was confusing and you read something else into my statement as I was just wishing them well. I would hope nobody would wish for them not to have children as they are clear about their desire to start a family - but being realistic: it's not guaranteed, so I hope it turns out the way they hope (i.e., 'that way').
That type of question is a waste of interview time imo, because after all, the answer is a given. Though Harry made a delightful witticism ('Not currently', or something like that), did I detect a slight annoyance? Slight? Understandable, because as the interviewee one is trapped into giving the rote answer. Annoying. Imagine if the interviewee proclaims 'Heck no, we despise children. They are okay on walk-abouts, but up-close-and-personal, no thank you!' Besides, Harry already answered that question years ago. It's on the record, he wants a family. Why ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
I'm rather hoping for Duke of Clarence than Duke of Sussex.

Or why not Duke of Buckingham Yes i know he would be the first royal to hold that title but whatever. Someone has to be the first
I am starting to agree about Sussex. I liked it lots once but I'm now wondering if there is something else. However, what would be a real issue (for me) is the fact that the title name becomes the family name (ex: George Cambridge, Louise Wessex). That being the case, Sussex re-enters the list of contenders.

Am I correct that whatever title name then becomes Harry's family name down through the generations of his family? If that is the case, one needs to choose carefully.

Sussex is okay. Buckingham is interesting. Someone mentioned the Duke of Ross. I like that (we were watching Poldark this last weekend).

BTW what were the list of possible names when William got married? Anyone know?