Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 63 25.7%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 112 45.7%
  • Duke of Kendal

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Duke of Ross

• Duke of Hereford

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Duke of Buckingham

• Something 'New' (Please specify)

• An Earldom (Please specify)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because "Princess Royal" is technically a style, not a title, I hope Charlotte receives a dukedom if Louis does. Just as I hope her children are given the style "Prince/Princess" if his children are.

But as you suggest it would be easier to eliminate titles completely and restrict the princely style to the heir's children.

I don't know if we'll ever see a grandchild of a monarch given the style of Prince/Princess unless they are the children of the heir. And yes, I'm aware that wasn't your point. :lol:

I don't know if we'll ever see a grandchild of a monarch given the style of Prince/Princess unless they are the children of the heir. And yes, I'm aware that wasn't your point. :lol:

The Queen's grandchildren HRH Princess Beatrice and HRH Princess Eugenie aren't the children of the heir. :lol:

The Queen's grandchildren HRH Princess Beatrice and HRH Princess Eugenie aren't the children of the heir. :lol:

Should've made it clearer. I meant again. In the future tense.

Should've made it clearer. I meant again. In the future tense.

For grandchildren of a monarch's son (like Louis will be) it is automatic unless specifically stated otherwise as the Queen did for Edward's children.

The old Principality of Orange now lies in France, but the heir to the throne of the Netherlands still claims that title based on the premise that it was a title historically held by his/her family. I don't think QEII will make Harry the Duke of Connaught given her absolute aversion to political controversy, but I think it is legitimate for the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, now Mountbatten-Windsor, to claim a title that was historically associated with their family, even if it became extinct and would need to be re-created now.

No need to discuss this topic in my opinion though, as it is not going to happen.

Last edited:
For grandchildren of a monarch's son (like Louis will be) it is automatic unless specifically stated otherwise as the Queen did for Edward's children.

This question has a direct impact on Harry's title, I think, in two ways:

Harry will almost certainly get a dukedom along with an with an earldom or a viscountcy so that if he has a child (son), the earldom/viscountcy will be used as the courtesy title, à la Earls of Ulster, St Andrews and Viscount Severn (and even Viscount Linley).

Harry & Meghan aren't going to hang around before trying to start a family but any child born will not be HRH Prince(ss) if the Queen is still reigning when s/he is born, just Lord/Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor. If Charles ascends to the throne before a baby is born, the child would be HRH Prince(ss) at birth. How will they deal with this? Will the Queen extend the use of HRH Prince(ss) to Harry's children as well (perhaps in accord with Charles' wishes) or will she leave it up to Charles to change things when he ascends the throne?

This question has a direct impact on Harry's title, I think, in two ways:

Harry will almost certainly get a dukedom along with an with an earldom or a viscountcy so that if he has a child (son), the earldom/viscountcy will be used as the courtesy title, à la Earls of Ulster, St Andrews and Viscount Severn (and even Viscount Linley).

Harry & Meghan aren't going to hang around before trying to start a family but any child born will not be HRH Prince(ss) if the Queen is still reigning when s/he is born, just Lord/Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor. If Charles ascends to the throne before a baby is born, the child would be HRH Prince(ss) at birth. How will they deal with this? Will the Queen extend the use of HRH Prince(ss) to Harry's children as well (perhaps in accord with Charles' wishes) or will she leave it up to Charles to change things when he ascends the throne?

The Queen has no reason to make Harry's children HRHs while she is alive and she won't do it IMHO. The relevant question is whether they will become HRHs when Charles is King, or if Charles will change the rules (or create an Edward-like exception) to keep Harry's children styled only as children of a duke rather than princes/princesses. I suspect Harry and Meghan migh ask Charles to do that.

Last edited:
Yes. I think that Harry and Meghan will want their children's titles to be just the courtesy titles of a duke...Lord or lady.

Hopefully we'll know what title Harry will be getting by this time tomorrow!

I think we can safely rule out Connaught,Aquitaine and New Jersey!

I hope we find out tomorrow. I think it’ll be Clarence, but I won’t be surprised if it is Sussex.

Hopefully we'll know what title Harry will be getting by this time tomorrow!

I think we can safely rule out Connaught,Aquitaine and New Jersey!

I like Aquitaine . Any other available fiefdoms formerly held by the English kings in France ?

Interesting. Why do you think this would be?

Because Edward and Sophie opened up that precedent for their children and Harry and Meghan's children will be in a similar position when their cousins (William and Kate's children) grow up.

Last edited:
Interesting. Why do you think this would be?
I just think that given the more laid back people that Harry and Meghan are....they would prefer that their children would not be burdened with HRH Prince/Princess titles. It would give their children more privacy.

I honestly think the exceptions will be made going forward if not change the LP entirely. I don't see that happening during Charles' reign, but I expect the exception to be made for Harry's children when Charles does become King.

I honestly think the exceptions will be made going forward if not change the LP entirely. I don't see that happening during Charles' reign, but I expect the exception to be made for Harry's children when Charles does become King.

I think this is the more likely scenario. Edward was the youngest of four, whereas Harry is the spare to William's heir.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is the more likely scenario. Edward was the youngest of four, whereas Harry is the spare to William's heir.

Harry is no longer the spare because George already has two younger siblings and all of them are likely to have children of their own too one day.

One might argue that Harry's children should not be treated differently from Beatrice and Eugenie, since Harry is in the same position as Andrew, but that was before Edward and Sophie introduced the possibility of grandchildren of the monarch in male line "giving up" their HRHs (although there were also precedents before, like Patricia Ramsay). Besides, Harry and Meghan might actually want their children not to be HRHs. In that sense, I suspect they are more like Edward and Sophie than like Andrew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, I mean in terms of William and Harry's birth order. By all accounts, Meghan is devoted to public service. It seems that a "higher" title is better for public service, but this is just a gut feeling, I don't have anything to back it up. Just conjecture.

What is this about finding out about the titles tomorrow? Time Zones?

LaRae

What is this about finding out about the titles tomorrow? Time Zones?

LaRae

That's probably my post when I thought William and Catherine's titles were announced a day before their wedding, but it was actually announced the morning of their wedding. I got the time wrong on the Clarence House tweet. It was posted at 11:59 PM my time, Apr 28 , USA West Coast (7:59 AM UK Time, Apr 29), but I had read the tweet incorrectly as Apr 28 11:59 AM my time. ?

Ah ok..I thought they were changing how it was being done!

LaRae

That's probably my post when I thought William and Catherine's titles were announced a day before their wedding, but it was actually announced the morning of their wedding. I got the time wrong on the Clarence House tweet. It was posted at 11:59 PM my time, Apr 28 , USA West Coast (7:59 AM UK Time, Apr 29), but I had read the tweet incorrectly as Apr 28 11:59 AM my time. ?

Gah, the suspense is killing me lol!

So, I will know on the morning of Saturday since Portugal have the same time zone as England. How exciting! Can't wait!

I know Clarence and Sussex are the two leading choices but I am still hoping for a surprise choice like Duke and Duchess of Ross, as I just find Ross more elegant than Clarence or Sussex. But we will see what happens. Not long now.

As for how Harry and Meghan's future children will be styled, I think it's a toss up. Maybe the two would prefer their children not to be styled HRH, but if Charles would like all his grandchildren styled as such, I don't see Harry and Meghan objecting.

:previous: I completely agree with you on both points.

1. I think Ross sounds very classy and talk about life imitating art. On Suits Rachel becomes Rachel Ross and in real life Meghan will be officially Rachel of Ross. It is a longshot though.

2. I believe I read somewhere that even though Charles plans on streamlining the Monarchy, his sons are very much going to be part of that and IMO Charles would want all his grandchildren to have the HRH title. I don't see H&M objecting to that if it is his wish.

I just think that given the more laid back people that Harry and Meghan are....they would prefer that their children would not be burdened with HRH Prince/Princess titles. It would give their children more privacy.

Why is having a HRH Prince/Princess title a burden?

Comparing Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie with Lady Louise and Viscount Severn Or Peter and Zara Phillips...who were able to have more private lives?

^ But I don't necessarily think that's about their titles. Honestly no matter their children are called there will be INTENSE interest as this is one of Diana's sons we're talking about and social media changes everything re: public interest and privacy of the BRF.

Plus I think a precedent has been set in the way Kate's pregnancies and the Cambridge kids have been covered. Yes they are higher in Line but the public doesn't care about that. What they want to see is cute royal children which is what H&M's children will be regardless of title and I don't think styling them as 'Lord/Lady' is going to lessen that.

I agree...doesn't matter if Harry's kids have no title at all, folks will be interested in them.

LaRae

I think the Queen will stick to the C's: Cornwall, Cambridge, Clarence!
:whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom