The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 63 25.71%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.71%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.27%
Duke of Ross 8 3.27%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.45%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.31%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.27%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.27%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.67%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.45%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Since Harry may be the Kings Son within a few years, it seems absurd to make him change Titles twice in a short period... just give him Sussex on his wedding day, and 'there's an end to it', no need to faff about.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Since Harry may be the Kings Son within a few years, it seems absurd to make him change Titles twice in a short period... just give him Sussex on his wedding day, and 'there's an end to it', no need to faff about.
Why does he have to change title after Charles becomes king?

Old 01-13-2018, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent

^ I refer you to post #500
Old 01-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Based on what I've seen here, it's totally up to the Queen. We don't know if she asked/asks them (William/Harry etc) for their input/views about a title beforehand or not. LaRae
That may be how it is on paper. But I can't imagine a scenario (with this Queen) where she ignores the wishes of the recipient. After all, it is a title the recipient will be dealing with for the rest of their lives, even unto their children. For sure (I would think) Harry would be consulted and approve the title along with the Queen, Charles and William (I guess now).

It seems to me that Sussex has been bandied about for a long time as Harry's future title. Though I think William choosing Cambridge was a surprise to most people, not so? It's possible Harry will surprise, too, maybe with Clarence.

P.S. It occurs to me that if the Cambridge baby is another boy, then consideration of his future title might come into play.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:57 PM
Commoner

I want the Duke and Duchess of Albany. Because I'm from New York haha. I honestly see it as either Sussex or Albany, now Albany may be an issue because the current head of Saxe Coburg and Gotha is technically the Duke of Albany. It would be nice to see a title that hasn't been used in forever such as the Duke of Ross (not used since the 1500s). There a huge feeling that Harry will be made a Earl of Iverness so that he gets the Duchy of York upon the death of Prince Andrew since Beatrice nor Eugenie can take the title. However it will sound wierd if he has daughters and there are multiple Princesses of York.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

I didn't think Inverness was even a possibility.

LaRae
Old 01-17-2018, 08:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Albany title is unavailable until it goes extinct and there are many heirs in the line of succession to that title. The Titles Deprivation Act is very clear - all future descendants in the male line of the Albany and Cumberland titles have the right to petition for its return and until there are no heirs they are not available for regrant. No 'technically' about it. He is the holder of the title and no one else can hold it while there are heirs.

Harry can't be the Earl of Inverness as Andrew already holds that title and you can't have two people with the exact same title. Andrew has three titles - York, Inverness and Killyleagh - just as William has three - Cambridge, Strathearn and Carrickfergus and Philip has Edinburgh, Merioneth and Greenwich. These are substantive titles and belong to that person. Andrew used to use Inverness when visiting Scotland - as Charles uses Rothesay and William uses Strathearn today but around 2007 he just used York wherever he was.

Maybe some of the confusion that you have is that the heirs to both Gloucester and Kent are 'earls' or 'barons' with the same titles as ones their fathers/grandfathers but ... the reality in these situations is that both the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent were given three titles - Gloucester, Ulster and Culloden and Kent, St Andrews and Downpatrick. As their sons aren't HRHs they are allowed, as a courtesy only, to use their father's second titles to show that they are the actual heirs apparent and their sons use the third title to show they are their grandfathers' heirs apparent heirs apparent. It is the same as Edward's son using his second title - Severn - as a courtesy title or Charles Armstrong-Jones using Viscount Linley.

I doubt that they would suggest that Harry eventually might get York for a number of reasons:

1. Andrew could easily live as long as his parents meaning Harry would have to wait around 30+ years for the Dukedom (If Andrew was to live to be as old as his father he will have another 40 years)

2. Andrew could always remarry a younger woman and have a son - has been known to happen e.g. Prince Albert of Monaco wasn't a lot younger than Andrew when he married - even in his 90s that isn't impossible

3. There is a quiet push amongst a number of women for equal inheritance laws for titles - meaning Beatrice could legally be able to inherit York (or the Queen could issue new LPs recreating the Duke of York for Andrew to allow Beatrice to inherit - maybe as a wedding present for Beatrice - who knows)
Old 01-17-2018, 08:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHDuchessofAlbany View Post
I want the Duke and Duchess of Albany. Because I'm from New York haha. I honestly see it as either Sussex or Albany, now Albany may be an issue because the current head of Saxe Coburg and Gotha is technically the Duke of Albany. It would be nice to see a title that hasn't been used in forever such as the Duke of Ross (not used since the 1500s). There a huge feeling that Harry will be made a Earl of Iverness so that he gets the Duchy of York upon the death of Prince Andrew since Beatrice nor Eugenie can take the title. However it will sound wierd if he has daughters and there are multiple Princesses of York.
Albany cant happen. As you stated, it isn't extinct, its simply suspended. There are 13 heirs and counting to the title.

As for Inverness.... there is no talk. There have been some who suggested he may be made an earl, until his Uncle dies (which seems quite morbid). But not earl of inverness. There is already an Earl of Inverness, Andrew. 'Earl of Inverness' is not a title of the heir of the Duke of York. It is a separate title, a subsidiary/secondary title of Andrew's. If Andrew was stripped of his earldom and it was given to Harry, that wouldn't make him the heir to his Uncle. Titles don't work that way. York will become extinct upon Andrew's death (if he has no sons) at which point it can be re-created. Considering Andrew is likely to live another 30 years or more, it is more likely to be bestowed upon a second son of William, which would be more fitting as that child would be second son of the monarch.

But as stated by others, I don't even see baby 3 being Duke of York considering Andrew's age.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I can see Charlotte becoming a duchess when she marries. Just like the #3 will be a duke or duchess as well. I don't see Charles or William denying the spares that title.

William and Harry's kids will all be working royals because it is just the two of them. I suspect Charles has a great chance of reigning well into his 90s like his parents. So that means by the time William take over he will be in his 50s and his kids will be early 20s.

That means William, Kate, and their three kids? Nah. Harry, Meghan and their kids will quite busy as well.
I honestly don’t think Meghan and Harry’s kids would. And I can see Meghan and Harry doing everything they can to shield them from that. They can still do good and make a difference without all the scrutiny. I think they’d be able to carve their own future and life. I’m still leaning towards no LP being issued to make them HRH at the time of the birth if HMQ is still alive. I’m not sure how they would be handled upon Charles ascending to the throne. They might see it as bad timing for an announcement like it was done for Wessex children with the mourning, state funeral, coronation going on. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s announced at the time of the birth, if HMQ is still living, that they’d always be known as children of a Duke though.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:37 AM
Heir Apparent

I will be surprised if they don't have titles. I really would. It was easier for HM's kids to deny it because she had 4 children she knew would still be working royals. She is 91 years old and that hasn't changed. That is not the same for Charles. He doesn't have the strength in numbers. And neither will William. Harry will want his kids to have a normal of a life as possible but he also respects his position and his family. I suspect he will find a compromise.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:15 AM
Royal Highness

At points in his life, Prince Harry did struggle with being known as a 'prince.' However, as you say ACO, Harry deeply respects his family, his position and his family's traditions, particularly as he has matured and received counseling for his painful feelings of grief in adolescence and in his early to mid-twenties. Since Harry recognizes that carrying the title and status he holds allows him to do good in the world, he may wish to pass that status and responsiblity on to his children. And of course with Meghan's help, Harry will surely raise his children to be appreciative of their blessings, well-rounded, down-to-earth and not stuck-up (as Diana tried to instill in him and William).

Obviously having the title of Prince/Princess can pose a dilemma for children growing up around their peers. That's reportedly one reason why it was decided Prince George will be known as George Cambridge in school.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posts relating to British Styles and Titles generally have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...itles-258.html thread. THIS thread is to discuss a possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan ONLY.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:06 AM
Administrator

Posts that ignored the above Mod note have been deleted. Posts relating to Meghan's citizenship have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ion-43937.html thread.

Let's try to see if we can stay on the topic of a DUKEDOM for Harry and leave other topics to their proper threads. Thanks you.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:17 AM
Majesty

Of course he will have a title. It wil probably be a dukedom...
Old 01-27-2018, 09:18 PM
Heir Apparent

After having watched most of season 1 of Victoria and then reading about the first and only Duke of Sussex thus far, I think it is a title worth reviving.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

To be honest the only thing I remember of the man was that he was said to be Victoria's favorite uncle, and he gave her away at her wedding. But it would be nice to see it used again. It seems to have been a top choice for Edward and William, so be interesting to see if finally makes the cut.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:22 AM
Serene Highness

And I seem to remember that the last duke of Cambridge and the last duke of Sussex were brothers, so it would be a nice touch follow that tradition as well.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

The last creation of each of those dukedoms was for brothers. The last Duke of Sussex died without legitimate issue but the son of George III who was created Duke of Cambridge had his title inherited by his son who died in 1904 also without legitimate issue. That means the last to hold each dukedom were in fact uncle and nephew not brothers.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The last creation of each of those dukedoms was for brothers. The last Duke of Sussex died without legitimate issue but the son of George III who was created Duke of Cambridge had his title inherited by his son who died in 1904 also without legitimate issue. That means the last to hold each dukedom were in fact uncle and nephew not brothers.
Right, my bad. I guess I only thought about the first dukes in the previous creations.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:01 PM

If this has already been mentioned before I apologize for not seeing it. What I don't like are all of the articles that already call Meghan The Duchess of Sussex or the Countess of Ross. I've seen a lot of articles in the United States that already call her this like it is a done deal. Makes me hope that her Majesty gives them different titles other than Sussex just because of the media assumption.

Closed Thread