The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 63 25.71%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.71%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.27%
Duke of Ross 8 3.27%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.45%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.31%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.27%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.27%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.67%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.45%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 05:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Again just because you don't like Facts doesn't make them not Facts. I never stated a single opinion on the Windsor title. Simple Fact. David was not made Duke of Windsor because of the castle, or geography. It was chosen because it was his surname. They made a conscious choice to create a new title, so not to throw away an old historic Title. FACT. The queen and many who knew David are alive, Fact. Many who know the bad connections to the title are alive, Fact. Which do you argue with????

Even if the queen would give a title with so much personal pain away, do you think her ignorant to public opinion? The fact is that the comparisons have been made between Harry and Meghan/Edward and Wallis already. The divorcee American. The last thing that is needed, is them to be given the same title.

Nor do we know that they have that much of a bond to the castle. Other then marrying there. We know they 'walked in the country'. Whether that was Windsor palace is an assumption people have made. There isn't much privacy there. It could very well have been High Grove, Sandringham or even a friend's estate for privacy where they walked.

As for Clarence I assume you are talking about the rumored brothel stuff? How many people would actually know that? You would over look the very real scandal of Windsor, but throw out Clarence due to rumored scandal from well over a hundred years ago (1889, so 128 years and counting)??
You are making so many assumptions and presumptions, it's hard to keep up with you!

In fact, below are the comments that seem to have prompted your nosedive into the Windsor kettle of fish:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
I wish Windsor didn’t have such a bad history to it because I’d love that for them just due to how they spent so much time there falling in Love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
... I totally agree that Duke and Duchess of Windsor would be the perfect title for Meghan and Harry except for the too recent association with Wallis Simpson and Edward VIII (David).
So okay @Countessmeout, you are making continued assumptions, presumptions, and grabbing on like a terrier to lighthearted comments about personal preferences in a poll thread about possible dukedoms that truly has nothing to do with weighty matters of life or death.

I happen to like the name Windsor for a dukedom. The Windsor estate's happy association and affinity for Meghan & Harry, was recently reported. I like the ring of Windsor despite the fact that it's already the name of the royal house and is highly unlikely to be used again anytime soon for a number of reasons. Obviously it's not even in the running. However, the poster who initially expressed a preference for 'Windsor,' is actually the person to whom I initially casually responded to in the first place.

But continue on making more of this than is absolutely necessary.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:23 AM
Majesty

All titles have some unpleasant history associated to them if one goes back far enough in time. I don't see why Clarence should be discarded a priori solely because of the fate of the last holder of the title. Personally, I think it sounds much better than Sussex.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:25 AM
Gentry

My vote is for the Duke of Clarence... but they may get Sussex.

It sucks that Windsor was wasted on Wallis and Edward, I don't think they'll get it. It would be a great title but the history is too recent unlike with Clarence.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:26 AM
Majesty

True but the odds are that if it is something the senior royals can remember, they may avoid giving it. Clarence has had quite a bit of "bad history". Poor Albert Victor would have been a terrible problem for the RF, unless Q Mary had succeeded in improving him. Windsor, I don't think ti is off the cards forever, maybe in antoher 50 years. but not now.. esp as Meghan IS an American divorced woman.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Windsor as a last name has been proudly used by those without a title, and will continue to be so

Windsor as a TITLE is another matter all together. WINDSOR as a TITLE was created for a disgraced former king who gave up his throne to marry a divorcee. The family chose to not use one of their older titles for him, knowing it wasn't likely ever to be used again. Instead they used a dukedom using the family's surname instead. Instead of using a province or something that may wish to use in the generations to come.

This is not Opinion. Simple facts.

As nice as you may think it, it is a title with only one association/one creation. One that people still alive were around for. It is not comparable to a title like Clarence where the last Duke of Clarence died young.

Sorry just because you don't like the facts, doesn't make them wrong.
I agree, using a title created for someone who abandoned his duty to his family and country, not even considering the rest of the baggage, would be very unfortunate.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by leticia.h View Post
My vote is for the Duke of Clarence... but they may get Sussex.

It sucks that Windsor was wasted on Wallis and Edward, I don't think they'll get it. It would be a great title but the history is too recent unlike with Clarence.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Clarence!

LaRae
Old 12-26-2017, 06:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I agree, using a title created for someone who abandoned his duty to his family and country, not even considering the rest of the baggage, would be very unfortunate.
Right, and I still like the ring of Windsor. But as I already responded to the initial poster @FashionMaven, "there is too recent an association with Edward VIII (David)," who as we all know (because it's impossible for it to recede from memory that quickly): "abandoned his duty to his family and country." Added to this serious drawback is the fact that David had numerous character flaws and he would not have been the right person to serve as King of Great Britain during WWII. Even before he died, King George V was worried about his son David inheriting the throne.

Again, @cmsteepy made a good case for Clarence. We will definitely find out. For the poll, it looks like Sussex is winning over Clarence by about half (nonscientific).
Old 12-26-2017, 06:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Right, and I still like the ring of Windsor. But as I already responded to the initial poster @FashionMaven, "there is too recent an association with Edward VIII (David)," who as we all know (because it's impossible for it to recede from memory that quickly): "abandoned his duty to his family and country." Added to this serious drawback is the fact that David had numerous character flaws and he would not have been the right person to serve as King of Great Britain during WWII. Even before he died, King George V was worried about his son David inheriting the throne.
Yes, the serious drawback you allude to is one of many things I meant by "rest of the baggage"-that baggage was packed.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:01 AM
Majesty

For the general public I would expect that 'Clarence' is mainly related to 'Clarence House', so more to the queen mother and the prince of Wales. Not such a bad association, I'd say...
Old 12-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
For the general public I would expect that 'Clarence' is mainly related to 'Clarence House', so more to the queen mother and the prince of Wales. Not such a bad association, I'd say...
Now that's an interesting angle to think about. Let's think this through to it's possible conclusion. Below are some facts and questions:
  • The Prince of Wales currently lives in Clarence House.
  • When The Prince of Wales ascends the throne, will he move into Buckingham Palace?
  • Prince Harry and Meghan will presumably need to move into a home more fitting of their status.
  • Could they be created the Duke and Duchess of Clarence and move into Clarence House?
Hmmm?
Old 12-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I read somewhere that Harry favors the Sussex title, so I think that is pretty much a done deal.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yeah but we have no way to know if that's even true....the media gets it wrong often enough.

LaRae
Old 12-26-2017, 01:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I read somewhere that Harry favors the Sussex title, so I think that is pretty much a done deal.
Since it is up to his grandmother I don't think that that matters. Not that I have any idea which title he might prefer, since I doubt if he is likely to say anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsteepy View Post
Now that's an interesting angle to think about. Let's think this through to it's possible conclusion. Below are some facts and questions:
  • When The Prince of Wales ascends the throne, will he move into Buckingham Palace?
  • Prince Harry and Meghan will presumably need to move into a home more fitting of their status.
  • Could they be created the Duke and Duchess of Clarence and move into Clarence House?
Hmmm?
of course they COULD be Duke and Dss of Clarence. however I doubt if they will get Clarence house... They'll problably stay in Nott Cottage until they have children and then they'll get a bigger apartment. Charles may remain in C House, and if he doesn't, it will problaby go to William...
Old 12-26-2017, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
of course they COULD be Duke and Dss of Clarence. however I doubt if they will get Clarence house... They'll problably stay in Nott Cottage until they have children and then they'll get a bigger apartment. Charles may remain in C House, and if he doesn't, it will problaby go to William...
With the exception of Harry moving to a bigger place eventually I've been thinking the rest will stay put after Charles ascends the throne and BP will become the office. I can't imagine the Cambridges wanting to live there.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsteepy View Post
Hmmm?
Yes, Like that train of thought
Old 12-27-2017, 04:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
You do realize that William and Catherine have a beautiful, grand, huge place they spend millions renovating and furnishing not so long ago, right? I don't think they'll want to move out of their KP apartment before they have to.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:09 AM
Majesty

As I said, If Charles becomes King and wants to move out, it will probably go to William. I don't know what you mean
Old 12-27-2017, 07:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
As I said, If Charles becomes King and wants to move out, it will probably go to William. I don't know what you mean
Facts:
It's officially confirmed that Charles will move in Buckingham palace after his accession.
It's officially confirmed that William will stay at Kensington palace untill his own accession.
It's officially announced that Harry and Meghan will live at Nottingham Cottage.

Observation:
Nottingham Cottage is small for any family. Obviously, it is too small for royal prince's family.
During Charle's reign Clarence House will be free.

Conclusion:
At the moment Clarence House is one of strongest contender for Harry's future home. That's why they don't rush to anounce information about Harry's future home. It all depends on how long the queen is alive.

Please, admins, move this discussion in Harry's future home thread
Old 12-27-2017, 07:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Why would Clarence House go to William? The Queen Mother lived there before Charles, it's not designated the heir's home.
Lots of money was spent renovating homes for the Cambridges-why would they move?
Old 12-27-2017, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Let's move on back to the topic - we have other threads to discuss what will happen when Charles becomes king and a home for Harry & Meghan.