The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 63 25.71%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.71%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.27%
Duke of Ross 8 3.27%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.45%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.31%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.27%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.27%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.67%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.45%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 12:32 PM
Serene Highness

I always look forward with anticipation when they break-in during the coverage for an announcement. It’s exciting, I enjoy the build up to it.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
That really never occurred to me as I guess I'm pretty used to the Countess of Wessex by now.

I am still leaning towards Sussex as it is just more pleasing to my ear than Clarence. For some odd reason, I still connect Clarence with Clown. I'm odd that way.
I think it's the extra s in Sussex that just drives me bananas when I try to say it.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its really weird that the double s never really occurred to me. Severely hearing impaired since birth, I've also had a problem with speech and even after years and years of speech classes, the letter S in speech still gives me the heebeejeebees. Guess it didn't really matter much though. I married a Stephen. Go figure.

Now, after all due consideration, Either the Duke of Sussex or the Duke of Clarence will be very pleasing to me. I love these discussions and every now and then, even changing my opinion.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
the extra s in Sussex that just drives me bananas when I try to say it.
That 'extra s' is silent ! It is pronounced Sus-ix... *simples* !
Old 12-18-2017, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Just one S is enough to give me the heebeejeebees. I like the title though as long as I just have to type it.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Courtier

If they have a common ancestor named Clarence, then Duke and Duchess of Clarence would make sense. Plus, easier to pronounce than "Duke and Duchess of Sussex," an added bonus.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

And there is this too:

When evaluating the original list of 5 from above, all are in use by a member of the current House of Windsor, except Clarence which is vacant.When evaluating the list from the Heptarchy, most are in use.Kent and Wessex by the House of Windsor, Northumria by the House of Percy, Essex by the House of Capell, East Anglia and its geographic subdivisions are held by the Houses of Howard or Windsor.Mercia could be argued that there are geographic opportunities and finally Sussex which is vacant.

Info copied from page 18/19

LaRae
Old 12-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Courtier

Isn't the additional S what keeps it from using the long U sound?
Old 12-18-2017, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
That 'extra s' is silent ! It is pronounced Sus-ix... *simples* !
I was referring to the first s in Sussex when someone brought up getting used to Wessex.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:16 PM
Nobility

I really can't see what all the fuss is about 'Sussex'?! I do love a bit of innuendo, but I don't this being an issue to most people, even to some of the British tabloids - after all, they manage Middlesex without too much trouble.....
Old 12-18-2017, 02:20 PM
Majesty

If Prince Harry is given the title of Duke of Clarence, what would be his secondary titles?
Old 12-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
If Prince Harry is given the title of Duke of Clarence, what would be his secondary titles?
I am interested in reading additional input on this subject but, this will be much more difficult to predict. We can anticipate, generally, that he will be granted a Scottish Earldom and an Irish Barony.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Courtier

I still think Windsor would be an image clean route.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:30 PM
Majesty

What do you mean? Cleaning the image of the Windsor title? By giving Meghan the worst possible title?
Old 12-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsteepy View Post
I am interested in reading additional input on this subject but, this will be much more difficult to predict. We can anticipate, generally, that he will be granted a Scottish Earldom and an Irish Barony.
Would the Scottish Earldom and the Irish Barony be brand new creations? Or would they be taken from titles that have not been used in years?
Old 12-19-2017, 06:58 PM
Courtier

Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

In William’s case, his Scottish Earldom has roots as far back as the 12th century. His Northern Irish title was a brand new creation.

Correction: Carrickfergus had in fact been linked to a barony in the 1840s when Queen Victoria created the Marquess of Donegall ‘Baron Ennishowen and Carrickfergus.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:46 PM
Courtier

I couldn't specify when I voted but I think Duke of Connaught
Old 12-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleq View Post
That one isn't in the running as Connaught is one of the provinces in the Republic of Ireland-a foreign country. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleq View Post
Connaught is a non-starter as the place 'Connaught' is in the Republic of Ireland. It would be like giving him Washington as a title.

Any substantive Irish titles that haven't gone extinct are still in use but if and when they go extinct, as has happened with Connaught, the title won't be used again.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The discussion about Meghan's name has been moved to the Family and Background thread. The discussion about titles has been moves to the 'Questions about British Styles and Titles' thread.