The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 63 25.71%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.71%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.27%
Duke of Ross 8 3.27%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.45%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.31%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.27%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.27%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.67%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.45%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 10:29 AM
Courtier

mhhh - how is it pronounced in english?

Old 12-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Bewley.....

Old 12-01-2017, 10:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
Haha. Given that Soho is only really one or two streets, it wouldn’t be much of a place to be a Duke of!
its hardly a palce anyone would want to be Duke of.....
Old 12-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Courtier

Perhaps years ago when it’s reputation was very seedy but it really isn’t any different to say, Covent Garden or Kensington High Street now.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Bewley.....
I wouldn't make the connection to Beaulieu
Old 12-01-2017, 11:22 AM
Nobility

If we think "sussex" might lend itself to ribald variations, I hate to think about what us Yanks would do with any two-syllable title with "ho" at the end!

Nevertheless.....I like Soho, the district...no disrespect intended.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is there a Nottingham Duchy available? I have been following the official KP acct and it keeps stressing how special Nottingham is to Prince Harry. Just wondering...
Old 12-02-2017, 07:16 AM
Heir Apparent

No, there is already an Earl of Nottingham who is also the Earl of Winchelsea..
Old 12-02-2017, 07:31 AM
Nobility

There are Earldoms and Dukedoms in existence for the same place. An earldom of Windsor exists - and existed during the life of the Duke of Windsor. The titles of Earl and Duke of Northumberland - and Devonshire - exist and are held by the same person.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I can find no information on any current Earl of Windsor or on one extant during the life of the Duke of that name? Altho' there is a Viscount Windsor, a subsidiary Title of the Earls of Plymouth...

HMQ [as fount of Honours] can create Harry Duke of Nottingham IF she so chooses , but I suspect Lord Nottingham and Winchelsea might be a bit peeved as he is the eighth Earl of that name [in its current creation]!
Old 12-02-2017, 07:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Is there a Nottingham Duchy available? I have been following the official KP acct and it keeps stressing how special Nottingham is to Prince Harry. Just wondering...
I have been in Nottingham once. Sorry to say, there are a lot of shockingly Victorian-looking deprived areas in British cities, but Nottingham really is the worst I have seen.

Any image of the Sheriff of Nottingham, Maid Marian and our hero in a green panty is soon in shatters when you enter grim Nottingham on a cold day. Good heavens... But maybe the Duke of Nottingham can "adopt" this deprived area and lift it up.

But to be fair: it is all theatre. The Duke of York does nothing for York. In Cambridge they are laughing their asses off about a Duke whom even did not study there, let alone has ever lived there. So it is all pretty spielerei. The same as the Queen bestowing another Order on her husband, last week. (The reaction was: "Huh, didn't he had that one already then? Always handy when it is the own wifey to grab another medal!")

When The Prince Henry of Wales indeed becomes Duke of Nottingham, I really hope he wants to be a real Nottinghammer and lift the city up in prosperity and development. For an example to live there, to start with. To hold the Invictus Games in "his" city. Etc. But that hope will be in vain: also Harry will parade around in ermine and lift a ducal coronet of a dukedom which means really nothing but just window-dressing, lift a coronet in the air when Charles becomes King and have a fancy title in the State Gazette.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:59 AM
Heir Apparent

My partner is a Native of Nottingham, and when he took me to see it i was amazed. Like ALL Cities [with an Industrial past], it has suffered and there are pockets of deprivation, but it has many architectural beauties remaining from its extremely prosperous Victorian heyday. As does Roubaix [the most deprived City in France]. HIDEOUS and bleak on a Grey day, but [doubtless] beloved by many.
Nottingham is a vibrant and living place with MUCH to commend it, no matter that it may suit SOME to denigrate it..
Old 12-02-2017, 08:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sometimes an outsider is needed to open the eyes. (Not that it is needed, Nottingham has been topping the lists of Most Deprived Cities in several investigations, so others share the same view).

When HRH The Prince Henry, The Duke of Nottingham really can make a difference for "his" city and the good people there, he will only rise and rise in my esteem: what a fantastic dude, real balls that man!

But when it is only meant as "Geesh... the boy needs a title, doesn't he?" and he only swipes the floor with his ducal robes and to lift a crown at the Coronation, and has for the rest nothing to do with Nottingham (as Andrew with York) then this is all pure theatre.

If it means nothing more than that, Harry could do another "rebellious" thing: no dukedom please, I am Harry Wales, thanks.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:42 AM
Courtier

One could easily apply that argument to the honours system or to the very idea of the Royal Family itself. Does their work really require them to be Princes and Princesses? It may be little more than ceremonial these days for Harry to have a ducal title but when traditions in general are under constant attack, it’s important to hold firm to such things. Otherwise why are we bothering at all?
Old 12-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
One could easily apply that argument to the honours system or to the very idea of the Royal Family itself. Does their work really require them to be Princes and Princesses? It may be little more than ceremonial these days for Harry to have a ducal title but when traditions in general are under constant attack, it’s important to hold firm to such things. Otherwise why are we bothering at all?
For me your post would be a nice challenge to proof that a dukedom is not a theatre at all. When Harry really becomes the Duke of Nottingham (or Middlesbrough, or Clacton, or whatever) and he shows commitment to "his" Duchy and "his" people, possibly even lives there and be with "his" residents, then he shows that it has a true meaning indeed.

But when he happens to be "Duke of Nottingham" and has as much to do with Nottingham as any average resident of Kensington & Chelsea, then it only stresses the whole emptiness behind the titulature system.

York is such a wonderful city, a great history, a former Royal House was even named York, but let us be honest: has the current Duke of York anything special with that place? He did not even marry in that magnificent York Cathedral. It is the same as William "getting" Cambridge while did not even attend the world's most famous university there.

We will see. "Call us Harry and Meghan, that will do". I would not be surprised if that will become the couple's way of dealing.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:00 AM
Courtier

I can see what you’re saying but at the same time, how has the Duke of Rutland benefited the county outside of his estate? How has Lord Bath improved the lives of the people of that city directly? If we require a sort of personal connection then we either need no peers at all or an extra 5,000.Should we abolish the title of the Prince of Wales too?

MPs make changes to every day life. Royalty doesn’t. It supports, it encourages, it inspires. It upholds, it represents, it comforts. But it never makes changes. It can’t unless it becomes a political tool and as soon as it does that, we have no need of it at all.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Duc_et_Pair- You continue to 'harp on' about a connection between an individual/Family and a Title [even between the name of a 'seat' and a Title]. but I repeat [in our history] no link exists, nor has ever existed.
The same as in France... The Orléans, didn't reside in Orléans..but at St-Cloud.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:10 AM
Courtier

Being made a royal Duke has more to do with rank and precedence than it does the territorial designation. The “Duke” part is what’s important, not the name of a place. Which is true for any peer come to that.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
When The Prince Henry of Wales indeed becomes Duke of Nottingham, I really hope he wants to be a real Nottinghammer and lift the city up in prosperity and development. For an example to live there, to start with. To hold the Invictus Games in "his" city. Etc. But that hope will be in vain: also Harry will parade around in ermine and lift a ducal coronet of a dukedom which means really nothing but just window-dressing, lift a coronet in the air when Charles becomes King and have a fancy title in the State Gazette.
This is a perfect example of someone who hasn't thought through the ramifications of what they are suggesting. To say the Invictus Games should be held in a place without the necessary infrastructure to hold the events and the attendees is ridiculous. To build all that would be necessary would cost too much and in the long run be detrimental. There is a reason the IG have been held in major cities with the necessary venues already in existence.
Your post is very theatrical but not practical.
Apparently, from what I have been reading, Harry has been working in Nottingham in practical, useful ways already and the people there are benefitting.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Also, to anchor the Invictus Games to one location kind of detracts from the global aspect of the games. It would be like anchoring the Olympics solely to Athens. The round robin of host cities make it special and there is never a set "home" team.