Names and Godparents for Harry and Meghan's second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they're allowed to reuse names in the same generation. Edward is one of Andrew's middle names, but that didn't stop the Queen from using it as a first name for his younger brother. And this baby will be Charlotte's cousin, not her sibling.

True - and William and George both have Louis as middle names and still William used it as first name for his youngest son. And Charlotte and her cousin both have Elizabeth as middle names. Charles Spencer's daughter is Charlotte Diana.

Last edited:
Henrietta could be a middle name. There was a Queen Consort Henrietta Marie way back when.

If they want to use Diana for a first name let them, this would be their choice to make not others. Why would the little girl always be compared with her grandmother?. This child don't need to fill Diana's shoes, why can she not be her own person named Diana or not.

HM The Queen Elizabeth II has the same first name as her mother Queen Elizabeth. That didn't stop HM The Queen from being her own person.

H&M can name their child Diana or whatever they want.

HM The Queen Elizabeth II has the same first name as her mother Queen Elizabeth. That didn't stop HM The Queen from being her own person.

H&M can name their child Diana or whatever they want.

yes they can

Henrietta could be a middle name. There was a Queen Consort Henrietta Marie way back when.

She was blamed (admittedly unfairly) for causing the Civil War!

Hmm ...

I hardly think tht they are going to give the baby a name like Henrietta, long, out of date, and related to the Stuarts....

And what about Harriet, after Harriet Tubman or Harriet Beecher Stowe?

My feeling is that Harry and Meghan don't seem to be overly interested in british royal history, so i'd bet they wouldn't consider a name in that tradition.

Diana and/or Doria getting a mention wouldn't surprise me, but maybe it'll be a totally fresh firstname and then Rachel as a second name to refer to Meghan..

The new baby could be named Etta Verity and nicknamed Ev after her initials.

After Archie, it’s hard to predict anything. My bet is Amelia. Archie and Amelia have a nice ring to it. Birthday prediction: May 12th

Yes, didn’t she buy a bracelet and have it engraved? To MM from MM

I always took this to mean "to me, from me" in recognition of her own hard work. As in, she had made it far enough to get herself such a nice gift. Although it would certainly be very cool if she had a daughter with those initials she could pass it on to!

After Archie, it’s hard to predict anything. My bet is Amelia. Archie and Amelia have a nice ring to it. Birthday prediction: May 12th

I think Amelia is way too "conventionally British royal",

Yes, didn’t she buy a bracelet and have it engraved? To MM from MM

Yes! Which is why I thought something like “Moana Meghan” could be a possibility. And Moana means ‘ocean’ which could mean that they crossed an ocean to give her a new life.

Probably not but it’s fun to guess!

Of course, if her last name is Mountbatten then it would only take a first or middle name starting with M.

But she is due in the summer, so I predict end of June/beginning of July

Yes! Which is why I thought something like “Moana Meghan” could be a possibility. And Moana means ‘ocean’ which could mean that they crossed an ocean to give her a new life.

Probably not but it’s fun to guess!

Of course, if her last name is Mountbatten then it would only take a first or middle name starting with M.

Unfortunately i think Moana would turn into 'Moaning' pretty soon on social media..

But a name with 'y' or 'ie' at the end wouldn't surprise me :flowers:

[...] Maybe even there is someone from HER family she still speaking with would make a nice godparent and a friend who is discreet. For a name it is hard to tell. Maybe her mom's middle name if she has one and Meghan's first name I believe it is Rachel I am not quiet sure on that.? Well we will all be surprised when this little baby girl finally gets here and they name her after someone we would have never come up with it, by our self's. Maybe her name is Rosa after Rosa Parks? just to say one name.

Last edited by a moderator:
[...] Maybe even there is someone from HER family she still speaking with would make a nice godparent and a friend who is discreet. For a name it is hard to tell. Maybe her mom's middle name if she has one and Meghan's first name I believe it is Rachel I am not quiet sure on that.? Well we will all be surprised when this little baby girl finally gets here and they name her after someone we would have never come up with it, by our self's. Maybe her name is Rosa after Rosa Parks? just to say one name.
I think Rosa is too strong. I like Rosie better :flowers:

Given that we never got an official list of Archie’s godparents, we might never get one for this one either

The MM bracelet has activated my mind:

Milly Majella
Millicent Meg
Marilla Margaret
Minnie May

[...]

Melissa. Known as "Missy". Constant reminder that she's a "Miss" with no title. ?

(if you're going to start throwing things at me for this one, make it donuts. I'm hungry!) :D

But seriously folks, the name that sticks out in my mind for their daughter is Harriette Frances . After daddy and a very strong woman in history, Harriet Tubman.

Ohhh...I love Harriet. Harry can have two kids named after him. :lol:

Two very American name suggestions: Kenya and Keisha.

Duchess Meghan has a Cartier Tank Française watch, which she bought when she found out that Suits was returning for a third season, which she had inscribed with her initials. It was not a bracelet.

Duchess Meghan has a Cartier Tank Française watch, which she bought when she found out that Suits was returning for a third season, which she had inscribed with her initials. It was not a bracelet.

There is no Duchess Meghan :flowers: (just like there is no Duchess Kate/Catherine or a Duke Harry/William)

There is no Duchess Meghan :flowers: (just like there is no Duchess Kate/Catherine or a Duke Harry/William)

Point taken, but in terms of the fashion in which members of royal families are officially referred to, there is also

no Archduchess Anna Astrid of Austria-Este (correctly Princess Anna Astrid, Archduchess of Austria-Este),

no Princess Elisabetta of Belgium (correctly Princess Elisabetta Rosboch von Wolkenstein or Princess Amedeo of Belgium),

no The Duchess of Lugo (correctly the Infanta Doña Elena or Doña Elena de Borbón, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Lugo),

no The Queen of the Netherlands (correctly Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands),

no Prince Alexander of Sweden or The Duke of Södermanland (correctly Prince Alexander, Duke of Södermanland),

and so on. Nonetheless, English-speaking royal watchers don't appear to find the incorrect references to members of these families unsatisfactory. I must say I think it would be more fair and equitable to apply the same relaxed standards to referring to the British royal family as other European royal families. :flowers:

Last edited:
Point taken, but in terms of the fashion in which members of royal families are officially referred to, there is also

no Archduchess Anna Astrid of Austria-Este (correctly Princess Anna Astrid, Archduchess of Austria-Este),

no Princess Léa of Belgium (correctly Princess Léa Wolman or Princess Alexandre of Belgium),

no The Duchess of Lugo (correctly the Infanta Doña Elena or Doña Elena de Borbón, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Lugo),

no The Queen of the Netherlands (correctly Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands),

no Prince Alexander of Sweden or The Duke of Södermanland (correctly Prince Alexander, Duke of Södermanland),

and so on. Nonetheless, English-speaking royal watchers don't appear to find the incorrect references to members of these families unsatisfactory. I must say I think it would be more fair and equitable to apply the same relaxed standards to referring to the British royal family as other European royal families. :flowers:

I am not sure I agree with all of your examples and some expressions to refer to someone are more off than others. For example, I wouldn't expect anyone to talk about 'Duke Daniel' for example; but the Spanish royal house would refer to Elena and Jaime as 'The Dukes (i.e., Duke and Duchess) of Lugo' - so, it seems while her FULL title is a bit longer, referring to her as 'The Duchess of Lugo' is correct, while talking about 'Duchess Elena' is not (nor is 'Princesa Elena').

N.B. I did recently notice that sometimes the royal houses themselves aren't consistent: Queen Máxima's "subtitle" among many of her online meetings is 'HM De Koningin' which strictly speaking is incorrect.

I am not sure I agree with all of your examples

While I did not quote them here as it might be considered off-topic, I've provided official sources for the examples (except Máxima) in other threads.

ETA: Have added links to those past posts in the previous post.

If there is an example for which you would like me to quote the source(s), or for which you have official sources which state them differently than what I have written, please let me know which thread to move to. :flowers:

and some expressions to refer to someone are more off than others. For example, I wouldn't expect anyone to talk about 'Duke Daniel' for example; but the Spanish royal house would refer to Elena and Jaime as 'The Dukes (i.e., Duke and Duchess) of Lugo' - so, it seems while her FULL title is a bit longer, referring to her as 'The Duchess of Lugo' is correct,

In the Spanish context, "the Dukes of Lugo" and "the Duchess of Lugo" are not comparable.

The standard Spanish joint form of address is "the Kings" (King/Queen and Queen/King), "the Princes" (Prince/ss and Prince/ss), "the Infantes" (Infanta/Infante and Infante/Infanta), and so forth. However, "the Infantes" was impossible as King Juan Carlos did not create Jaime an Infante, and therefore it was correct to refer to them as "the Dukes".

Elena herself was never officially referred as "The Duchess of Lugo", as far as I have been able to find out, and that would not have been in conformity with modern Spanish protocol.

N.B. I did recently notice that sometimes the royal houses themselves aren't consistent: Queen Máxima's "subtitle" among many of her online meetings is 'HM De Koningin' which strictly speaking is incorrect.

I suppose they are least not using HM De Koningin der Nederlanden, are they?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom