The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #481  
Old 05-24-2021, 04:51 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Another name has hit me as a potential reflecting on American first ladies. How about the name Jacqueline (Jackie for short)? So many people admired Jackie Kennedy Onassis for the strength and fortitude she exhibited throughout her time as FLOTUS with the assassination of her husband and then, even with the rumors abounding of JFK's peccadillos.
Dont really see why. Jackie was essentially a socialte.. only thing she did that was "new" was to take up a job some years after leaving the White House.
__________________

  #482  
Old 05-24-2021, 05:12 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Dont really see why. Jackie was essentially a socialte.. only thing she did that was "new" was to take up a job some years after leaving the White House.
Actually, before she married JFK, Jackie worked as a journalist and even was in London to cover Queen Elizabeth II's coronation for the Washington Times-Herald in 1953.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #483  
Old 05-24-2021, 05:15 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually, before she married JFK, Jackie worked as a journalist and even was in London to cover Queen Elizabeth II's coronation for the Washington Times-Herald in 1953.
I think it was light journalism, of the kind that an American upper class girl did to fill in the time before getting married... Then she married Onassis, largely for his money after JFK's death and to get away from America. I dont think, in short that she had any special qualities that might make someone choose to call their child after her...
  #484  
Old 05-24-2021, 05:18 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,662
Stranger things have happened. There's no real indication of just what Harry and Meghan are going to call their daughter. For all we know, they could decide on Desert Moonchild.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #485  
Old 05-24-2021, 05:20 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Stranger things have happened. There's no real indication of just what Harry and Meghan are going to call their daughter. For all we know, they could decide on Desert Moonchild.
well yes, with most royals one can hazard a guess or 2, because they do tend to use family names.... but with them, no-one can tell what name they will go for. the only thing we can think might happen is that they'll use Diana's name.
I can't think of any reason why they would use one name more than another.. the only thing I'm fairly sure of is that they wont use a name that's well known as a royal name, like Elizabeth, Anne, Victoria, Alexandra etc.
  #486  
Old 05-24-2021, 05:40 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I would think that Camilla would classified as more "horsey" than Charles. Both of them though are very comfortable seated on a horse. Camilla, though, is just one of those people you *know* is an animal lover.
Since the point raised was that Anne might have made the remark about Archie, because she's into "bloodlines"... I just pointed out that many of the RF are horsey. Camilla is indeed a member of the RF but I somehow didn't think that Harry was referring to someone who had married into the family who made the remark..
  #487  
Old 05-24-2021, 08:31 AM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 3,244
I'm gonna go with:
Guanyin

why you say? It's the goddess of compassion...
__________________
Wisdom begins in wonder - Socrates
  #488  
Old 05-24-2021, 08:50 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Dont really see why. Jackie was essentially a socialte.. only thing she did that was "new" was to take up a job some years after leaving the White House.
Whatever Jackie accomplished or not she is one of the biggest icons of 20th century popular culture and the blueprint for all the First ladies that came after her. If Harry and Meghan for some reason decided to name their daughter after her they wouldn't be the first couple to do so.
  #489  
Old 05-24-2021, 09:04 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Whatever Jackie accomplished or not she is one of the biggest icons of 20th century popular culture and the blueprint for all the First ladies that came after her. If Harry and Meghan for some reason decided to name their daughter after her they wouldn't be the first couple to do so.
True but given their tendency to at least give the impression that they admire radical or serious minded people, I think that Jackie wouldn't be high on that list. Hillary Clinton has a political career in her own right.. other First Ladies have had serious charity interests.. Jackie dressed well and did up the White House...
  #490  
Old 05-24-2021, 01:25 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Since the point raised was that Anne might have made the remark about Archie, because she's into "bloodlines"... I just pointed out that many of the RF are horsey. Camilla is indeed a member of the RF but I somehow didn't think that Harry was referring to someone who had married into the family who made the remark..
Oh sorry. I wasn't thinking anywhere near who made a crude statement. To be honest, my opinion is that I can't really picture any of them making any kind of a derogatory remark against an unborn child. But that's just me.

You're right that the BRF members, for the most part, know good horseflesh.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #491  
Old 05-24-2021, 03:17 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 11,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Dont really see why. Jackie was essentially a socialte.. only thing she did that was "new" was to take up a job some years after leaving the White House.
And her sister Caroline ("Lee") married Stanisław, Prince Radziwiłł. Those were the days. Opera singers, shipping tycoons, first ladies and royalty.
  #492  
Old 05-24-2021, 03:22 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Queens Village,, United States
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think it was light journalism, of the kind that an American upper class girl did to fill in the time before getting married... Then she married Onassis, largely for his money after JFK's death and to get away from America. I dont think, in short that she had any special qualities that might make someone choose to call their child after her...
Jackie Kennedy was an intelligent woman. She attended College at a time when many socialites did not attend and just became debutantes and married well. She and her children planned the Kennedy Library. Onassis wanted to marry her IMO to have a "trophy" wife as one of the most famous women on the planet. She married him for security. Apparently Jackie did get a settlement from Joseph P. Kennedy.
  #493  
Old 05-24-2021, 05:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 10,012
Meghan is rather a Democrat by convictions, isn't she?
  #494  
Old 05-24-2021, 05:37 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,662
She hasn't expressly come out and state her political leanings to any party but it's been obvious from her words and actions that she favors the liberal point of view.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #495  
Old 05-25-2021, 01:49 AM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 7,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Anything could be used as a name. Is there any particular reason why they would use Iris? Is it very popular in the US? is it a family name?>
Iris is a flower which blooms in the Spring. The name had been popular as a flower name for girls.
  #496  
Old 05-25-2021, 02:43 AM
Happiness Always's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: kinda sorta a bike ride away from Mickey & Minnie, Japan
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Iris is a flower which blooms in the Spring. The name had been popular as a flower name for girls.

At first, I thought you might have been referring to Siri, the name that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes choose for their daughter. I don't know why they chose that name, or maybe I did, but I've forgotten it. Maybe Harry and Meghan will think of a name but flip it, like Tom and Katie did. Anaid? Airod?
  #497  
Old 05-25-2021, 04:13 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness Always View Post
At first, I thought you might have been referring to Siri, the name that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes choose for their daughter. I don't know why they chose that name, or maybe I did, but I've forgotten it. Maybe Harry and Meghan will think of a name but flip it, like Tom and Katie did. Anaid? Airod?
I though that the child was called Suri, not Siri.
And I dont know how popular Iris is in the USA, but to me it always sounds like a very old fashioned name, like Violet. Though I suppose both names might be making a comeback...
  #498  
Old 05-25-2021, 04:55 AM
Happiness Always's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: kinda sorta a bike ride away from Mickey & Minnie, Japan
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I though that the child was called Suri, not Siri.
And I dont know how popular Iris is in the USA, but to me it always sounds like a very old fashioned name, like Violet. Though I suppose both names might be making a comeback...

Oopsie I think you're right. It's Suri, not Siri.
  #499  
Old 05-28-2021, 08:07 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 7,327
Instead of Doria, the variant of Dora could be used. Also Dorinda, which is an elaboration of Dora could be used.
  #500  
Old 05-29-2021, 12:53 AM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 3,244
If they're going with variations, i'd still think it'd be Doriana as a combination of both their mother's names (Dory for short) (although that might remind too much of 'Finding Nemo'?)

But it's anyone's guess really isn't it we'll know pretty soon now...
__________________

__________________
Wisdom begins in wonder - Socrates
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible names, godparents and duchy of their second child principessa Prince Carl Philip, Princess Sofia and Family 88 09-04-2017 02:04 AM
Names and godparents for Félix and Claires second child principessa Prince Felix, Princess Claire, Prince Louis, Princess Alexandra, Prince Sebastien and Families 14 03-15-2017 10:49 AM
Sex, names, godparents and Duchy of Victoria's and Daniel's second child principessa Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family 287 05-27-2016 02:12 AM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia baby names baptism birth britain britannia british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs dresses dubai duchess of sussex duke of sussex earl of snowdon general news thread george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf hello! history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan jewellery kensington palace king edward vii lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers luxembourg medical meghan markle monarchy nepalese royal family nepalese royal jewels pless prince constantijn prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn walailak princess laurentien princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii royal jewels royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spanish royal family sussex swedish queen thai royal family tradition uae customs united states wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×