Names and Godparents for Harry and Meghan's second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lily is really growing on me here... Archie and Lily...think that has a good ring to it..

But Lily was quite popular in mid to late Victorian Britain, unlike Willow etc. One of my great-aunts, born then, was a Lily. I wouldn’t call Lily a ‘Californian or hippy-ish’ name at all. It became popular due to a vogue in floral names from the 1850s on.

https://www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2018/05/name-of-the-week-lily.html

Again, apparently you both skipped over that whole part where I said "or possibly female-icon inspired." Maya very much seems like a possibility for a couple of reasons and Lily would certainly harken back to Lilibet and be a thoughtful but still subtle tribute to HM should they decide to go that route.

Don't think I've ever made an actual guess :lol: But as we're edging closer and closer, I suppose I'll have a go:

Eve Doriana

IIRC they chose Archie because of its meaning (or rather, because of its similarity to the Greek word 'arche'). So I'm assuming there'll be some profound meaning behind their daughter's (first) name as well. I really like Eve that means "life". That would be especially neat considering their daughter is a rainbow baby.

I really hate Doriana and wish they'd go for Diana Doria or vice versa in the middle :D But unfortunately it does fit right in with Archie's Harrison.

Althea Diana Philippa

Bit of a stab in the dark but it means "healing" or "to cure" and I feel like that would be lovely considering what the little one represents and where H&M are in their lives. I also think Aster is neat. Of Greek origin and sounds lovely with Archie.

Diana is self-explanatory. Lastly, I suppose I'm in the minority who doesn't think a reference to Philip is off the table. Personally, I also think it would be extremely neat. Using "Philippa", she'd be the first of his female descendants to be named directly for him. Crossing my fingers for three names so they can fit it in there as well.

Francesca Philippa

An alternative way to honour Diana. Archie and Francesca are very different names but I think they sound surprisingly good together. One of its meanings are "free" which, like Althea's, is a meaning I think they'd like.

Francesca Philippa

An alternative way to honour Diana. Archie and Francesca are very different names but I think they sound surprisingly good together. One of its meanings are "free" which, like Althea's, is a meaning I think they'd like.

I absolutely love the name Francesca. I'll be honest, I don't see them using it but I think it might be a possibility for Beatrice. Either way, though, I love it and would love to see someone use it. And I'm partial to girls nicknames that are historically male (Alex, Charlie, Georgie, etc.) but I think Frankie is adorable.

I'd be really, really surprised if they use Philippa in any way, given that it feels very associated with Pippa Middleton.

I for one don't think of Pippa when I hear it nor do I think most would. I feel most would immediately think of Prince Philip. But I doubt that will be the name.

I'm sure most royal watchers would think of Pippa Middleton. As for Philip, he never seemed to like the idea of his grandchildren having his name, he wasn't like Victoria.

:previous: On what do you base that assumption? Two of his grandsons bear his name (a third doesn't have it, presumably for surname reasons) and so far two of his great-grandsons have as well.

I'd be really, really surprised if they use Philippa in any way, given that it feels very associated with Pippa Middleton.

I mean, considering that you yourself refer to her as "Pippa" rather than Philippa, I beg to differ ?

Last edited:
Philippa would be nice to be used. Also, people need not think about Philippa Matthews when they see the name.

:previous: On what do you base that assumption? Two of his grandsons bear his name (a third doesn't have it, presumably for surname reasons) and so far two of his great-grandchildren have as well.

I mean, considering that you yourself refer to her as "Pippa" rather than Philippa, I beg to differ ?

If they were to call the baby Philippa I agree that the connection would be made, the public would reduce it to Pippa.

I think it will be a name that would be difficult to shorten.

Having said that none of the family have a first name to honour Philip,

If they were to call the baby Philippa I agree that the connection would be made, the public would reduce it to Pippa.

I think it will be a name that would be difficult to shorten.

Having said that none of the family have a first name to honour Philip,

the RF nowadays dont usually use a name that is "In use" by another member of the family as a first name. Hence, it wasn't likely that Charles would be given the name Philip as a first name as might have happened years ago. And I think that Philip was fine with that and didn't want his all his grandsons to have Philip even as a second name.

Just reading that some American experts, not sure who ,have said the baby is due June 10th names being considered Lily and Philippa and of course Diana. I think they have been reading all your suggestions, lol

An update, it is insiders from the USA maybe not experts but anyway, to honour the queen , Lily, for The DOE, Pip, then of course Diana.

Last edited:
Final guesses ...

Mary Sophia
Diana Meg
Ellie Diana
Cali Diana

Born 7/6/2021 or 21/6/3021.

Last edited:
I thought once that Archie is an abbreviation/diminutive from Archibald.

Was there not an ancestor in Princess Diana's Spencer ancestry numerous and numerous generations ago who was an Archibald Spencer?

There is an Archibald Campbell listed as an ancestor but I have never read anywhere that he was the inspiration for the name of Archie Harrison.

Archibald is a common name as is Archie.

Spencer Lillian Mountbatten-Windsor

I think Philippa, Elizabeth and Diana will be part of the names or Doriana (as Gloriana was the nick of Elizabeth I and then that of the Second of that name), so we would have a nice combination of the Grandmothers and of great-grandmother's nickname.

Nicknamed “Pip”

Lily sounds like the most likely of the rumored choices. I could see Lily Diana or Lily Spencer if they didn’t want Diana, or Lily Pip if the baby is born on his grandfather’s birthday. Philippa, with the nickname Pip, is also pretty cute on a girl. Pip on its own would be a little too casual.

My original guess was a name that is somewhere on the British popularity charts, not necessarily as high up on the American charts, and sounds casual and not long and formal. Lily fits but so would something like Maisie, Ellie, Lucy, Poppy, Luna, Willow, etc., or a name that fits more American tastes like Spencer or Wells or some name from her mother’s family tree.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess "May" . It's simple. Starts with M. And Queen Mary was known as May to her family.

I could see this. May Mountbatten-Windsor is simple and pretty. I like Archie and May together. Maybe a twist to Mae spelling?

I'm expecting something along the lines of Poppy, Willow, Wren, Lark, Harlow, Maya, Lily, or something similar.

Maya and Lily are hippy California? Lol.

Lily is really growing on me here... Archie and Lily...think that has a good ring to it..

An update, it is insiders from the USA maybe not experts but anyway, to honour the queen , Lily, for The DOE, Pip, then of course Diana.

Lily sounds like the most likely of the rumored choices. I could see Lily Diana

I've only gone back a few pages, but those who mentioned Lily must have been psychic. :flowers:

It is apparently a well liked name in the US at present so I suppose it wasn't that odd to think of it.

I think they will choose a trending name of their liking for first name, and a second name with a meaning like Harrison.

For first name I will guess: Emma, Ava, Eve, Hazel, Grace, Zoey, Ellie, Leah, Lily, Eliana, Gabriella, Clara, Arianna, Eliza, Iris, Andrea, Josie, Molly, Daisy, Ariel, Sienna.
It seems I said Lily too. Though I doubt people guessed the spelling "Lili", and nobody said Lilibet I think.

It is apparently a well liked name in the US at present so I suppose it wasn't that odd to think of it.

Yes, and even more so in the United Kingdom, according to the figures of the US Social Security Administration and the UK Office of National Statistics. Lily ranked as #35 in the most popular names for female children born in the United States in 2020, whereas it ranked as #9 for female children born in England and Wales in 2019, the latest year for which figures are available. Amongst United States births, Elizabeth (#16) was higher in popularity than Lily (#35).

It would be interesting to know whether any individuals have been formally named Lilibet up until now, and if not, whether that will change in the future.

Well, now that the baby is born and her name revealed, the purpose of this thread has ceased to exist.

Because no one will ever know who Lili's godparents are.:sad::ermm:

As the Sussex baby has arrived, this thread will now be closed.

Well done to those who guessed Lili in its variants!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom