Names and Godparents for Harry and Meghan's second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it depends on the branch of Calvinism. Sponsors are still a part of many Calvinist baptisms.

It seems some branches do entrust that to the congregation instead of specific sponsors.

I'm sensing it's another boy, and also think the baby may well be christened in England, with the Queen present this time. Don't know about Prince Philip as he might be at Sandringham. Harry and Meghan might ask Eugenie and Jack to be godparents which would be lovely. I like the name Leo but think they will again go for something out of the box.

They could choose to baptize him/her at St Mary Magdalene's church like Charlotte and Eugenie were. Its also where Princess Diana was baptized. Then Philip would be easily present.

Last edited:
They could choose to baptize him/her at St Mary Magdalene's church like Charlotte and Eugenie were. Its also where Princess Diana was baptized. Then Philip would be easily present.

That is true. However, if the christening is in London or at Windsor I'm not sure he'd move! Perhaps Philip could be a middle name.

Diana Doria's quite sweet, but it sounds like something out of a 1950s TV programme ... too many Ds and too many As!

Its not a matter of not being baptized in the UK.

The baby will be baptized in the Anglican faith (since both his parents are Anglican). The same rules apply to who can be an Anglican godparent, whether baptized in a church in LA or in London. A Jewish godparent is still out of the question for a godparent. Witness is another matter.

Unless I guess Harry and Meghan both convert from Anglican faith. But I don't know any protestant/catholic church that allows a Jewish godparent.

The child may very well be baptized in the UK.

Sure. I agree. They certainly will not be changing their faith. In the U.S. Episcopalian religion is closest to the Church of England. They will just have a bit more leeway in the friends they choose, aside from the issue of religion. If Amal's faith is Islam, then she's not a possibility.

I agree that they could have the baptism in the U.K., in order to be around Harry's extended family for the occasion. Most likely the birth will be in California, the Sunshine State and Meghan's place of birth, especially with the pandemic still restricting travel. And if travel is uncertain for many months after the baby(ies) is/are born, the christening may not take place in the U.K.

I don't see Lloyce as a first name. Or Doriana. Doriana maybe as a middle name if they choose to only give the baby one middle name so they can honor both grandmothers. I think we will see an original first name like Archie and something far more fashionable.

Olivia
Amelia
Ava
Sophia
Grace
Lily
Freya

Those are the top 10 most popular girls names (that aren't currently in use in the royal family as Mia, Isabella and Isla are all top 10).

boys:
Oliver
Noah
Arthur
Leo
Oscar

Anything is possible regarding name choices, except I can't see them saddling a daughter with Harry's mother's exact first name. And I definitely don't see Lloyce as either a first or second name.

Olivia is such a pretty name. I'd be honored if they chose that name, as it is my mother's first name. :heart1:

Raina is another nice name.

First Name: Princess Diana

Middle Names: Frances Meghan

Godparents: whatever Kardashian...

Best wishes for an uneventful pregnancy and a healthy baby

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to try and guess, we surely won't ever know.... Just like we didn't know for Archie.

Alice Diana Frances, Diana Doria Frances, Michael Philip, David Michael

I think if it is a girl she will be named Diana.

I think Princess Eugenie is the most highly likely godparent from the Royal Family. Other possibilities include Prince Harry's cousins: Princess Beatrice, Peter Phillips, Zara Tindall. Lady Louise Windsor is turning 18 this year, but I'm not quite sure if she is close to Harry. James, Viscount Severn is only 13.

I'm also not sure about Harry's paternal uncles and aunts (Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward), but it all depends how close are they together. It's also now less likely to have the father or mother's sibling as the baby's godparent compared to the 20th Century (George VI and Queen Elizabeth as godparents to Princess Alexandra). So I think this leaves out Prince William.

Who knows if Baby Sussex will have members in the Royal Family as godparents. Maybe Harry's friends or members in the Spencer (Harry's maternal) family? Or as previous posters have mentioned, celebrities such as Fosters, Oprah or Clooneys? I think there is a high chance that the Fosters could be Baby Sussex's godparents, given that they were seen in celebrating Katherine McPhee's pregnancy

I guess it depends on the branch of Calvinism. Sponsors are still a part of many Calvinist baptisms.

It seems some branches do entrust that to the congregation instead of specific sponsors.

Didn't know that (wonder whether it probably was part of the tradition and has been abandoned in the Netherlands but kept in Canada and the USA or that the Canadian and US branches adopted the practice from surrounding churches) - but glad to have refreshed your memory that there are indeed infant baptisms without godparents :flowers:

And yes, in those churches without godparents I am used to the congregation being asked to support the parents or something along those lines.

I hope he chooses his cousin Louis, Charles Spencer's eldest son, as godparent.

For a boy I like:

Spencer, David, Alex and wildcard - Phillip

Girl:

Frances,, Olivia, Sophie and I really don't expect to see Diana since The Cambridges used it for Charlotte.

LaRae

Harry and Meghan are free to use Diana if the child is a girl. I don't think it matters if the Cambridges used it. There are names repeated within the RF especially if they are middle names. Louis is a middle name of George and his brother has Louis as a first name, for example.

Harry and Meghan are free to use Diana if the child is a girl. I don't think it matters if the Cambridges used it. There are names repeated within the RF especially if they are middle names. Louis is a middle name of George and his brother has Louis as a first name, for example.

And also Prince William has also got Louis as his middle name.

I hope he chooses his cousin Louis, Charles Spencer's eldest son, as godparent.

Yes, that would be a great idea. ?

I was also thinking about Lady Kitty Spencer, Lady Eliza Spencer and Lady Amelia Spencer. The Honorable Edmund Spencer is turning 18 this year, so he could also be possible.

Lady Lara Spencer and Lady Charlotte Spencer are currently under 18.

Other possible candidates (from Harry's maternal family) include
  • Emily McCorquodale, George McCorquodale and Celia McCorquodale (children of Lady Sarah Spencer and Neil McCorquodale)
  • The Honorables Laura Fellowes, Alexander Fellowes and Eleanor Fellowes (children of Lady Jane Spencer and Robert Fellowes, Baron Fellowes)

The Honourable Laura Fellowes is Princess Charlotte's godmother.

P.S. I have just looked up the Spencer Family (including Lady Sarah McCorquodale and Baroness Fellowes)

And Elizabeth has been used widely for middle names and not just limited to Elizabeth II's descendent and Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mother's descendants:
  • Princess Charlotte: Charlotte Elizabeth Diana
  • Princess Anne: Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise
  • Princess Beatrice: Beatrice Elizabeth Mary
  • Lady Louise Windsor: Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary
  • Isla Phillips: Isla Elizabeth
  • Lena Tindall: Lena Elizabeth
  • Lady Margarita Armstrong-Jones: Margarita Elizabeth Rose Alleyne
  • Lady Davina Windsor: Davina Elizabeth Alice Benedikte
  • Estella Taylor: Estella Olga Elizabeth
  • Maud Windsor: Maud Elizabeth Daphne Marina
  • Princess Alexandra: Alexandra Helen Elizabeth Olga Christabel

It would not surprised if Baby Sussex does have Elizabeth or Phillip as his/her middle names

Last edited:
I wonder if they’ll choose an anagram again, of one of their own names.
Archie is an anagram for Rachel (if one exchanges an “L” for an “I.”)

Last edited:
:previous:

Right, and Harrison is also obviously a version of Harry's name. I don't see them doing another anagram. Because how would that work with their other names? If intentional, it would be a puzzle coming up with a suitable name in that fashion. I wonder if it isn't just a coincidence about the name Rachel being a close anagram to Archie.

Or else, Meghan learned from a young age that 'Archie' is a close anagram of her name, and she may have fallen in love with the name and looked up its meaning. I heard reports that Meghan once had a pet that was named 'Archie.' I don't know if that's confirmed.

We’ve all watched Netflix’s Bridgerton where the 8 children are named alphabetically ~ so I’m going with Bertie.

Impossible to predict. Surely some unusual name, at least as royal name.

Godparents we hardly ever know like we don't even know Archie's ones. Probably not even such whom we would recognise.

:previous:

Right, and Harrison is also obviously a version of Harry's name. I don't see them doing another anagram. Because how would that work with their other names? If intentional, it would be a puzzle coming up with a suitable name in that fashion. I wonder if it isn't just a coincidence about the name Rachel being a close anagram to Archie.

Or else, Meghan learned from a young age that 'Archie' is a close anagram of her name, and she may have fallen in love with the name and looked up its meaning. I heard reports that Meghan once had a pet that was named 'Archie.' I don't know if that's confirmed.

According to Meghan and Harry

"Before SussexRoyal, came the idea of 'Arche' - the Greek word meaning 'source of action'. We connected to this concept for the charitable organisation we hoped to build one day, and it became the inspiration for our son’s name. To do something of meaning, to do something that matters."

So way before Archie was even born, when Meghan and Harry were dreaming of starting their own charity, it seems they shared a particular affinity with the greek work 'Arche', meaning 'to do something that matters'.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/reports/a32077420/meghan-harry-baby-name-archie/

Not sure a fake anagram (switching out letters) may have crossed their mind.

I wouldnt't even guess what kind of other anagram (fake or real) they could come up for another baby if they decided to.

I guess fake they could switch out H and have Barry, Garry, Larry.

Here's my guess if it's a girl... Doriana Harriet. Doriana combines Doria and Diana; Harriet honors Harry and Harriet Tubman.

Here's my guess if it's a girl... Doriana Harriet. Doriana combines Doria and Diana; Harriet honors Harry and Harriet Tubman.

Since they already used Harrison for Archie, I doubt they will honor him again with a daughter. If they really felt a great need to honor him twice they could use one of his other names.

Alberta? Alberta Williams King was the mother of Martin Luther King Jr if they wanted to go all racial rights movement.

It will be nice to know if it's a boy or a girl and I leave the names up to Meghan and Harry. Archie Harrison is definitely his very own little man. Archie is not an anagram of Rachel or Meghan and Harry is Henry not Harrison so I'll be interested to see if they go ahead and give their second child their very own name as well. All part of "not being royal", merely related to royalty.

It will be nice to know if it's a boy or a girl and I leave the names up to Meghan and Harry. Archie Harrison is definitely his very own little man. Archie is not an anagram of Rachel or Meghan and Harry is Henry not Harrison so I'll be interested to see if they go ahead and give their second child their very own name as well. All part of "not being royal", merely related to royalty.

While Harry's legal name is Henry, Harrison was indeed an honor to him. The name literally means son of Harry.

Archie Harrison's twin siblings ....

Betsy Meghanette & Claire Diana
Joan Rosemary & Poppy Rachelette
Diana Liberty & Camilla Doria
Serena Britt & Eliza Meghan
Robin William & Nelson Amory
Sam Thomas (after Captain Sir Thomas Moore)& Richard Leo
Freddy George & Hugo William
Buddy Larkspur & Charley Heath

The name will be sweet and casual.

My money is on - Barbra Archiesis and Chuck Markleson who will have strong voices.

Godparents .... Princess Anne or one of her children and friends.

Last edited:
:previous: Some of those are very fanciful suggestions. Who knows? ;)

I heard someone suggest 'Maeve Dina,' which is sweet and unusual. I have a relative named 'Mavis,' which is a similar nice name. Monica is also a nice name if desiring to go with the letter 'M,' for a first name which would alliteratively complement 'Mountbatten-Windsor.'

If twins, perhaps Mason Harriman, and Mavis Harriet.

Yes @Countessmeout, I read M&H's website explanation regarding 'Archewell.' Their explanation doesn't necessarily mean that Meghan couldn't have learned or read about the meaning of the name 'Archie,' and connected it with the Latin 'Arche' when she was young. I tend to agree that the close anagram between Archie and Rachel may be a coincidence, or maybe not. None of us know for sure. I think M&H keep a lot of details about their lives to themselves, as they should.

I like Maeve though there's no immediate Irish connection on Harry or Meghan's sides. I'm not sure how you pronounce it. Is it Meeve?

I expect the same pattern as Archie - something with Latin or Greek Routes. Possibly already used for her dogs, definitely already copywriting and website brought.

So my top pics for both sexes

Liberty/ Freedom - or Libertas & Licentia or Moksha (in Sanskrit)
Light - Lux, Fos or Phos
Artemis - Artie (Greek version of Diana - god of wild animals and the hunt)

I actually think that Archie and Artie make a good combo.
And then Harrison and Meghandogter as the second depending on sex.

Godparents (as if we will ever be told)
1. Oprah or Gayle King (whoever was not there for the first)
2. Catherine McPhee's husband
3. Tyler Perry
4. Elton John (if he was not there for the first) or possible his husband.
5. Jessica Malroney or Serena Williams
6 George Clooney or Alma Clooney (depending on who it was for the first)
7. George Floyd's daughter
8. One of the Obama's
9. Joe Biden or Hillary Clinton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom