Names and Godparents for Harry and Meghan's second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since reading this Millie popped into my mind. At least that would save the poor girl from the burden of Diana as a first name. As Archie has only the one middle name, I think his sister will have the same.
I think that Diana is a lovely name but I would not burden a child with that legacy. Hope they use it as a middle name and come up with something else.

My girls are Elizabeth (Liz) and Katherine . Guess we know one name that’s not on the table: Catherine /Katherine / Kathryn. :lol:

I won't be one bit surprised if the world is shocked to its core as Harry and Meghan name their daughter Veronica. Ronnie for short. Archie and Veronica do go well together to a lot of American ears. :lol:

Or better yet, Edith. Archie and Edith. Now I hear Archie yelling at his sister "Get me a (root) beer, Edith!" ?

Archie is an upper class name, so I think they'll pick something similar that is popular now like Daphne, Esme, Bella

Archie is an upper class name, so I think they'll pick something similar that is popular now like Daphne, Esme, Bella

Or something similar that isn’t popular now, and make it popular ?

Or something similar that isn’t popular now, and make it popular ?

I can't see that a name they choose will be all that popular in itself. I think they'll go for an American type name rather than a British royal name... Archie Harrison was unusual but still Archie was a well liked upper class name in the past which had mode something of a comeback. but that was wehn they were living in the UK - Now I think it will be some name that is well liked in California.. perhaps iwth Elizabeth tagged on.

Before Archie’s birth I read they had Allegra picked out for a girl. This is the type of name I can see them going for Allegra Diana or Elizabeth or similar Or maybe Allegra Philippa. I also would not be surprised with Diana.

Hollywood, which they are now, likes “statement” names rather than traditional.

maybe, but I think that story probably has its origins in a vaguely sourced story that Diana wanted a daughter and wanted to call her Allegra. So its probably a filler story based on this rumour. Its really hard to call, as they have not stuck to traditionally patterns in any way, so I doubt if they'll do it with this baby. Possibly they'll give Diana as a second name.

Can you see Ruth being used in honor of Princess Diana's grandmother Ruth, Lady Fermoy?

With the Sussex’s it’s hard to predict anything.
But I won’t be surprised if Oprah or Gayle King become a godparents for their child

We probably won't get to know whoever they are. Remember how they refused to name the godparents of the first child?

With the Sussex’s it’s hard to predict anything.
But I won’t be surprised if Oprah or Gayle King become a godparents for their child

The way everyone assumed Serena and Clooney would be for Archie? :whistling:

The way everyone assumed Serena and Clooney would be for Archie? :whistling:

And as far as I know, the press seems relatively sure that Tiggy Pettifer, Mark Dyer and Charlie van Straubenzee are among Archie's godparents...

Last edited by a moderator:
But that was when they lived in the UK and were having a traditional royal christening. Now they are free agents...

I hardly think that Charlie, Twiggy and Mark were forced choices just because Harry and Meghan were working royals and living in the UK! All three of them had known Harry since childhood. I believe that a couple of Meghan’s friends (whom she had known since her University days and aren’t in show business) may also have been godparents to Archie, and I’m sure it will be the same this time. I can’t see either Meghan or Harry picking Oprah or Gayle King as godmothers.

But that was when they lived in the UK and were having a traditional royal christening. Now they are free agents...

I thought that was exactly what they were bashed for not having?

ETA: Well... one of the things they were bashed for not having.

I thought that was exactly what they were bashed for not having?

ETA: Well... one of the things they were bashed for not having.

no they were criticised for refusing to say who the godparents were.. though it is public information and most other royals have named them...

no they were criticised for refusing to say who the godparents were.. though it is public information and most other royals have named them...

I'm pretty sure the subject of his godparents was not the extent of the criticism. IIRC people were generally just annoyed they didn't do it the Cambridge way. Which is fairly silly considering there was virtually no difference between Archie's and, say, Lena's christenings.

(Besides, if it's public information, what's the issue?)

One of the multitude of things the Sussexes were criticised for by the tabloids, who became annoyed that such information wasn’t forthcoming. IMO if a couple don’t want to tell the Press who they’ve chosen as godparents that’s their right. They know who they are, the godparents obviously know it, and so do Harry’s family and Meghan’s mother. Nobody else needs to be privy to that information.

Last edited:
Can you see Ruth being used in honor of Princess Diana's grandmother Ruth, Lady Fermoy?

Diana and her maternal grandmother did not get along for a time but possibly made up. Diana talked about her paternal grandmother Cynthia Spencer being her inspiration. So I'd be surprised if Ruth is selected as a name.

I'm pretty sure the subject of his godparents was not the extent of the criticism. IIRC people were generally just annoyed they didn't do it the Cambridge way. Which is fairly silly considering there was virtually no difference between Archie's and, say, Lena's christenings.

(Besides, if it's public information, what's the issue?)

It was a traditional royal christening held in Windsor Castle with Archie wearing the royal robe.
Not sure who the clergy were.
Photographs were issued later.
The only real difference was that they declined to name the god parents.

Other great grand children I believe other than the Cambridge children were low key , small local churches , not announced in advance, no official photographs and I don't think the godparents were announced.

I cannot imagine Harry and particularly Meghan going back to the UK anytime soon to have their little girl baptized. Most do it at a couple of months so they fit in the gown - William was baptized at 6 weeks and Harry was 2-3 months when he was christened. I cannot find the exact date but he was born in September and christened in December. Also it is pretty traditional to do it before 6 monthish

We couldn’t button the family gown on my younger daughter - her neck had gotten a little too big:D

:previous: Sweden's Prince Alexander was 5 months IIRC at his christening (and also a beautiful pudgy baby :D) and they had problems closing the gown in the back.

It was a traditional royal christening held in Windsor Castle with Archie wearing the royal robe.
Not sure who the clergy were.
Photographs were issued later.
The only real difference was that they declined to name the god parents.

Other great grand children I believe other than the Cambridge children were low key , small local churches , not announced in advance, no official photographs and I don't think the godparents were announced.

I'm not sure what your point is? As for the christening itself, Archie basically had the same type of christening as Lena did. Archie was wearing the Honiton lace christening gown, yes, and so was Lena (it is the family gown after all). Lena was christened in Gloucestershire, yes, because that's where she and her family lives. Archie was christened in Windsor where he and his family lived. We only know, say, Harry is Lena's godfather because he attended the christening. That's also how people are pretty sure Tiggy Pettifer is among Archie's godparents. The only thing that differs largely is the fact that H&M released a few pictures after Archie's christening.

Nobody noticed our gown not buttoned at the neck - except Mom of course:D

I cannot imagine Harry and particularly Meghan going back to the UK anytime soon to have their little girl baptized. Most do it at a couple of months so they fit in the gown - William was baptized at 6 weeks and Harry was 2-3 months when he was christened. I cannot find the exact date but he was born in September and christened in December. Also it is pretty traditional to do it before 6 monthish

We couldn’t button the family gown on my younger daughter - her neck had gotten a little too big:D
Princess Eugenie was NINE months old when she wore he original lace gown. (Andrew was away at sea.) They couldn't button up the back at all. Only one other baby wore it after that, Louise. James was the first to wear the new one.

[......] And as far as I remember there were rumours that Diana liked Allegra as a girl’s name though it may well not be correct. Meghan’s never mentioned the name.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Angelica? Or Bridget? I think they will surprise us with the first name. But if they follow the same route with Archie, the little girl won't have a foolish celebrity name ala Apple, North, Reignbeau, Breeze, Moon Unit...

I quite like Sienna but can’t imagine that would be picked. I do wonder whether Isla or Lily will be in the running though. Lily, as well as a whole host of late Victorian names, have become very popular in the UK over the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom