Names and Godparents for Harry and Meghan's second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Maya. Reminds me of another very strong woman with a voice. Maya Angelou. ?

But I think most people who hear the name would instantly associate it with
Philippa Middleton Mathews instead of Prince Philip.

This is quite true. However, Prince Henry and Meghan could declare Philippa is in honor of Prince Philip and Queen Philippa of England.

Alice could be considered a tribute to Philip--since the baby would be name after Philip's mother.

But I think most people who hear the name would instantly associate it with
Philippa Middleton Mathews instead of Prince Philip.

I guess it depends on if you follow them or not. I know people who don't even remember Kate has a sister. But to be fair they also didn't know the Queen had other kids too. ?

We rarely hear Pippa called her full name, so unless she is called "Pippa" then I don't think it will be an issue. But my guess that is not on the list anyways.

I never saw Archie coming, so I won't begin to guess but I can see Meghan wanting to honor someone like her grandmother Jeanette and of course I can see Diana honored as well.

Considering the circumstances with Philip having just passed, I'd say very few people's first association would be Pippa Middleton if Philippa is used.

Considering the circumstances with Philip having just passed, I'd say very few people's first association would be Pippa Middleton if Philippa is used.

Eugenie and Zara Phillips used Phil's name for their babies, but it was a second name.. I think it woudl be a nice nod to him to use it as a second or third name..

Eugenie and Zara Phillips used Phil's name for their babies, but it was a second name.. I think it woudl be a nice nod to him to use it as a second or third name..

Oh, I don't think they'd do it as a first name at all. Definitely in the middle if they'll use it.

Laurel or Lauren could be used. Laurel is a derivative of Laura.

I thought Alice, it goes nicely with Archie and would be a nod to Philip as well.

I thought Alice, it goes nicely with Archie and would be a nod to Philip as well.

I dont think they'll go for a traditional Royal or upper Class name, now with this second child. Archie was unusual but not massivley so.. and now that they are in the US, they're not bound by royal conventions...

I dont think they'll go for a traditional Royal or upper Class name, now with this second child. Archie was unusual but not massivley so.. and now that they are in the US, they're not bound by royal conventions...

They weren't bound by royal conventions with Archie either. Harrison certainly isn't traditional in the UK. Neither are Savannah and Isla.

I suppose it depends on if being told that HM wasn't going to issue LPs to make their child/ren HRHs early made any difference to their naming. Even now they're still gunning for HRH Prince Archie Harrison when Charles becomes King.

Whilst they're at odds with the family they're currently also at pains to remind people how royal they are. I definitely don't think we're going to get full on Cambridge naming. However, I can see something like Alice, Philippa, Victoria, Lily or Eliza. Or or even something like Artemis or Minerva emphasising their connections to HM/PP/Diana and royalty either as a first or second name and not something that's totally off the wall like the infamous Apple. Or a variant of Elizabeth like Isabel.

Last edited:

But they might like to stress their royal connection in the name of their child.

I just dont see it. I think they may use Elizabeth as a second name.. but I suspect this baby is going to be more "American".....

Current odds for Diana: 4:1 in the UK. I’m just not sure I see them using it as a first name. To use your beloved deceased mother’s name every day when talking to your baby would be hard, I think. But as one of the baby’s names? You betcha!

George has ‘Louis’ as a middle name but that didn’t stop his parents from using it as a first name for #3 Louis. Just because Charlotte has “Elizabeth Diana “ as middle names doesn’t mean the Sussexes won’t use it too.

My bet would be Elizabeth Diana.

Yes, but the Sussexes are probably seeing that they need the royal connection more than ever since the Interview. It would certainly please his grandmother Elizabeth! ;)

I just dont see it. I think they may use Elizabeth as a second name.. but I suspect this baby is going to be more "American".....
Well, Elizabeth is hardly un-American. I know plenty of Elizabeths, who span all ages here. It is more traditional and it's, quite clearly, Christian in origin, which Archie is not. Archie is part of the wider trend of taking a nickname for a traditional name and using it for the whole first name a la Jamie, Alfie, Freddy, Charlie, Maggie, Gracie, Carrie, Josie, etc. In that regard, I could see them going in a similar direction with Baby Girl Sussex, so perhaps Lizzie, Liza, Betsy, or maybe even Lily, as a connection to Elizabeth, but not Elizabeth itself.

I still think Diana is the front-runner - I can't see Harry thinking he is somehow burdening his daughter with his mother's legacy. Heck, as resentful as both boys were at their mother losing her HRH after the divorce, I can absolutely see Harry going with Diana as a way of restoring that lost HRH, assuming he thinks that there won't be an update to George V's Letters Patent in the lifetimes of Elizabeth or Charles.

I wouldn't be even the tiniest bit surprised by the use of Diana as a first name. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised by something much more trendy or even something with a bit of a "hippy" type feel. Something more along the lines of Wren or Lark or Willow, maybe even Poppy or Maya. I definitely do not expect something with a traditionally upper class, British, aristocratic, or royal feel so I really don't foresee Alice, Victoria, Maud, etc. Of course, stranger things have happened and I'll admit that I certainly didn't see Archie Harrison coming but I'm much more confident that we'll see something along the lines of Willow Doriana or Lark Diana than I am in Maud Elizabeth Alice Diana.

Maybe they’ll do Diana Elizabeth!

But I’m still remembering that Cartier watch she said she had engraved “to MM, from MM” that she planned to pass down to her daughter one day. I took that to mean her daughter’s initials would be MM at the time, but now I think it was probably just a “to me, from me” thing (which I think is a bit weird BTW).

I cannot imagine them going with more than two names; even the Cambridge’s just did three instead of 4 or more.

You know, her dad did call her Flower, and she’s into the meaning of flowers, so maybe she’ll pick a flower name.:flowers:

I wouldn't be even the tiniest bit surprised by the use of Diana as a first name. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised by something much more trendy or even something with a bit of a "hippy" type feel. Something more along the lines of Wren or Lark or Willow, maybe even Poppy or Maya. I definitely do not expect something with a traditionally upper class, British, aristocratic, or royal feel so I really don't foresee Alice, Victoria, Maud, etc. Of course, stranger things have happened and I'll admit that I certainly didn't see Archie Harrison coming but I'm much more confident that we'll see something along the lines of Willow Doriana or Lark Diana than I am in Maud Elizabeth Alice Diana.

Archibald is an oldfashioned and posh name. So the likes of Maud, Rupert, Lavinia or Alastair are still possible.

But I’m still remembering that Cartier watch she said she had engraved “to MM, from MM” that she planned to pass down to her daughter one day. I took that to mean her daughter’s initials would be MM at the time, but now I think it was probably just a “to me, from me” thing (which I think is a bit weird BTW).

Minnie Mountbatten!

Archibald is an oldfashioned and posh name. So the likes of Maud, Rupert, Lavinia or Alastair are still possible.

Except that his name isn't Archibald. It's Archie. That's it. Just Archie. Just like my grandfather's name isn't Robert, it's Bobby. That's literally what his birth certificate says. So while they could choose a name that is a shortened version of another name, I truly don't think they'll go with an old-fashioned and posh name. Not always but usually people try to keep their kids names at least along the same lines or in the same vein. I truly can't imagine they'll have an Archie Harrison and a Tiffany Skye or an Archie Harrison and a Maud Lavinia.

Except that his name isn't Archibald. It's Archie. That's it. Just Archie. Just like my grandfather's name isn't Robert, it's Bobby. That's literally what his birth certificate says. So while they could choose a name that is a shortened version of another name, I truly don't think they'll go with an old-fashioned and posh name. Not always but usually people try to keep their kids names at least along the same lines or in the same vein. I truly can't imagine they'll have an Archie Harrison and a Tiffany Skye or an Archie Harrison and a Maud Lavinia.

Tiffany Skye sounds like long eyelashes, fake tan and plastic nails to me.
Maud Lavinia sounds very posh indeed.

She could use Jeanne as a nod both to her grandmother Jeanette and to Carolyn Jeanne Bessette-Kennedy, wasn’t she one of her big style influences?

For that matter she could use Carolyn or Caroline, kind of an American ‘royalty’ name.

For that matter she could use Carolyn or Caroline, kind of an American ‘royalty’ name.

Not gonna happen ~ people would read “Carole” into it.

I have thought that Diana will be the first name since the day of the interview - William got there first, so putting it as a first name will one up his brother. I could see Harry of today thinking that William had honoured their father twice, once in Charlotte’s first name (while their mother had to wait until the third name) and also in Louis’s name.

Earl Spencer also has a Charlotte Diana, depends if he’s happy to equal him with using Diana as the second name or has to go one better.

Making myself want to cringe now imagining Meghan on Oprah Part II. They stripped Diana of HRH and our Diana isn’t one either.

I hope I am wrong and they go for something like Deanna if they feel they must honour Diana in the first name.

I cannot imagine them going with more than two names; even the Cambridge’s just did three instead of 4 or more.

You know, her dad did call her Flower, and she’s into the meaning of flowers, so maybe she’ll pick a flower name.:flowers:

Since reading this Millie popped into my mind. At least that would save the poor girl from the burden of Diana as a first name. As Archie has only the one middle name, I think his sister will have the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom