Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot for the life of me agree that Tom Markle, Sr. should have been "taken in hand" and "groomed" or "molded" into anything at all. Frankly, KP or any organization in the UK has no jurisdiction to "control" anything about any of the Markle family. Sometimes I do think its unfortunate that the can't put the kibbosh on a lot of things concerning this family but I do know they don't have that kind of power.

Sure, they could have done something like provide him with a bodyguard that was paid for out of private pockets but other than that, Mr. Markle really doesn't have to answer to anybody about what he does or doesn't do or how he lives, eats and breathes.

The more I'm reading though of Mr. Markle's present condition (which hasn't actually been confirmed by any credible source), it sounds like the culprit that has brought him to this point was none other than his older daughter, Yvonne/Samantha. She is just so overly concerned about her father that instead of going to him and being supportive, she's raking in the cash being on Good Morning Britain and even switching her hair color (which I sincerely believe she thinks makes her look more like Meghan). Perhaps TPTB should have invited Yvonne/Samantha over to the UK and showed her the sites with one being the Tower of London and quietly locking her in until the wedding was over. :whistling:

Given how quick he was to go rogue and call TMZ of all places to announce that he'd just stay home, I have to wonder if Tom Sr. doesn't already have a track record of backing out of chances to meet Harry or to get training from KP.

Perhaps I've just met too many people in my life who are quick to "turtle" at any sign of a situation they might find uncomfortable, but that's what I suspect we're seeing in him at the moment. Which could explain the snippets of clues we've had about his kids' relationships with him. I'm getting the feeling that when he's at his best he's a loving dad--they all have good things to say about him that indicate kindness and support of certain kinds--but when he's down he's unreliable and quick to hole up and avoid.

At this point I have to wonder if Meghan's first wedding was the casual, destination, people-come-or-they-don't-no-big-deal affair to sidestep the possibility of not knowing whether or not she could depend on her dad at a more formal affair.

Moonmaiden23 said:
This is becoming surreal. Can anyone here think of any other pre Royal wedding controversy/disaster that tops this??

I suppose Edward VIII's abdication for a wedding would take the prize in the UK. With perhaps the wedding of George IV and Caroline of Brunswick on an honorable second place: the groom was drunk & only had eyes for his mistress and not for his bride. And outside of the UK the winner might be the Emperor Nero, who ordered Sporus, a free man, to be castrated and then married to him. Things are not as dire this time around, fortunately.

Last edited:
Its not a matter of class but rather family dynamics. People can and do behave badly no matter what their situations in life are.

To think a whole lot of this started simply because some of the distanced family felt snubbed at not being invited to a wedding. Its not even really the wedding itself and the people involved getting married but rather its the status and the high profile of this wedding that is the draw. Some people are just really attracted to coat tails for a free ride up a gilded ladder.

I seriously doubt that if Meghan had met someone different than Harry, say a lighting director on Suits, and fallen in love and was planning a wedding, most of Meghan's extended, dysfunctional family members wouldn't have given it the time of day or even sent a congratulatory note.

Egos are what makes some people their own worse enemies and I even seriously doubt that Piers Morgan's words shot at Ms. Grant had any kind of an impact at all. Her ego isn't allowing that.

But Osipi, Sam has been going after Meghan since long before there was a wedding on the books. I think she and Tom Jr are doing this for pure spite. I think they've been angry with her and Doria since their dad's marriage to Doria broke up and he had to give Doria child support. I think they long ago new that Meghan wanted nothing to do with them so they have a 'what do I have to lose' mentality. They're not well-off financially so her relationship with Harry is like hitting the lottery for them. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain by making Meghan look bad. Their goal was never to be at the wedding or to meet the royals imo.

Thomas Sr. complains about media hounding but had no qualms dragging the Paps & video crew along to Doria’s home. I suppose invading Ms Ragland’s privacy in attempts to compromise and drag her down to his sordid level sits alright with him. What a duplicitous, conniving piece of work he is. This not-so-reclusive “shy” man is no innocent, and just sorry he got caught in his grasping games.

I truly hope that Mr Markle isn't suffering any chest pains or heart attack, or isn't in any way in poor physical or mental health. I really hope he is exaggerating to gain sympathy.

Having said that, if he is exaggerating, how horrible is that for Meghan. No doubt she's extra worried about her father and his health. Her wedding is in 4 days, and her dad informed the world's press, that he's not attending her wedding because he possibly has a heart attack. How do you deal with that?

Now he colludes yet again with ANOTHER media outlet (TMZ)? ...But of course he hates media attention:lol::lol:

Last edited:
Through all this, I hate what all this media garbage is doing to Harry and William. They had enough of this nonsense with their late mother and have formed quite a semi-hatred for the press invading personal matters. This is just reinforcing their stand and will get their backs up even more. Damn shame.

Through all this, I hate what all this media garbage is doing to Harry and William. They had enough of this nonsense with their late mother and have formed quite a semi-hatred for the press invading personal matters. This is just reinforcing their stand and will get their backs up even more. Damn shame.

The media has been an issue harassment wise, but really, the biggest problem has been family going to the media of their own volition imo.

One thing I am happy about is that none of the players that have worked so hard to gain attention by feeding the trolls...errr press up to this wedding still remain uninvited and unwanted and unheeded. The less attention they got from Meghan (which I believe is the right move), the more frustrated and ugly they became and its cumulating and coming to a head now with all kinds of last ditch efforts to do their worst.

How much behind the scenes work was done in just the last few days can be attributed to the siblings is unknown. I can't wrap my head around Tom, Sr. just deciding out of the blue to call TMZ on his own. His character behavior up until these recent "scandals" don't seem to be in his character makeup or he would have joined the money making free for all a long time ago. I'd even not put it past Tom, Jr. to call TMZ impersonating his father or Samantha getting her "carer" to do it. I wouldn't put it past either of the half siblings to do something like this at this point.

All this may sound far fetched and from left field in a galaxy far, far away but who would ever have dreamed of all this happening in the week leading up to the wedding. I know from personal experience that the kind of people Meghan's half siblings are just will keep upping their game to hurt, defile, shame and denigrate their target until they get the reaction that they want with no holds barred.

The best thing way to handle people like this is to do absolutely nothing. I hope Meghan's support system of having people that actually do love and care for her around her on her wedding day is comforting and she's able to close the door and lock it on those family members that have treated her so horribly and move forward in life.

Now Germaine Greer has been at it again on a BBC TV morning programme, claiming that the Royal Family didn't want Meghan's father at the wedding and that Prince Philip may try and destroy Meghan.

Germaine Greer: Royals didn't want Meghan Markle's father at wedding | Daily Mail Online

Germaine Greer seems to always have an opinion about events in the royal family, and her slant is always negative, frequently vicious, and always uninformed. The only reason the press interviews her about the royal family is because they are guaranteed that she will put the worst possible connotation on whatever is going on.

She's a provocateur, not someone with a nuanced or informed opinion.

The media has been an issue harassment wise, but really, the biggest problem has been family going to the media of their own volition imo.

I certainly agree with you on that. This family is just out to grab anything they can off the fame of a relative that they probably could care less about thru the years, especially once she worked for a better life then they had. Seems to always be looking for a free "hand-out" of some sort. Jealousy, envy and damn nastiness is an awful thing. Glad it is all backfiring on them although I would never wish bad health and heart trouble on anyone. Seriously don't believe the father thought he was harming Meghan in anyway, unlike Samantha or Jr. Jr's open letter to Harry telling him to ditch Meghan and Sam's insisting that Harry "man-up" were vile and evil. Karma to you absurd ignorant malicious people.

I'm going to say something that I already know many people will object to, but, I'm going to vent my frustration nonetheless.

Given the abominable track record of the paternal side of MM in dealing with the press from day 1; given the well-known shallowness of the press; given that Prince Harry has not met his fiancee's father; given that it is MM's second marriage, wouldn't have been more appropriate to have a quieter wedding? This pompous occasion is being marred by a circus of unseen proportions! It reflects extremely bad on the institution of the monarchy. Even if MM is completely innocent in this (though again, to the point of being unnerving, I'll say it again, MM and KP have their own responsibilities) she could have put her dreams of a big, fat, royal wedding aside and have a quieter affair (think Charles and Camilla). It would have spared her (and the RF) a huge embarrassment.

"Noblesse oblige" to make sacrifices.

One thing I am happy about is that none of the players that have worked so hard to gain attention by feeding the trolls...errr press up to this wedding still remain uninvited and unwanted and unheeded. The less attention they got from Meghan (which I believe is the right move), the more frustrated and ugly they became and its cumulating and coming to a head now with all kinds of last ditch efforts to do their worst.

On the other hand, a little money, a NDA and an invite to the wedding would have avoided this ridiculous, surreal situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was set up by Samantha, and I thought she took great delight in telling the Loose Women today that she organised it. She knew it would cause problems and this was her way of sticking her nose up to Meghan that she had the last word and had spoiled her wedding. Quite right that she didnt get an invitation in the first place.

The thought has crossed my mind that Meghan wasn't Samatha's only target in all this. It's well known now how she felt about Doria from the start & then Meghan comes along? How dare she share her Father w/*those* People & how dare he leave her & "his real Family" for *them*!?!

It's only a thought, but it's one I wouldn't put past Samantha doing sadly. She finally gets Revenge for all they "did to her" back then & also gets paid for it. Win win in her sad sick mind.

I just called my mom and dad and thanked them for being who they are - because my dad would never do such a thing. I'm praying Doria is already in London - because Meghan really needs her mom right now. Harry must be apoplectic with rage. I hope Wil&Kate have surrounded Meghan and Harry with love and brought the kids to cheer them up.

What a ghastly situation.

I'm sick for Meghan. I can barely say much else. I was in training all day and had homework from the training and logged on to see what was up and came into this thread and had my mind blown. I feel blindsided by this news and just sick on Meghan's behalf.

I'm also very sad to see people blaming Meghan. I can't even muster up the outrage I'm just so sad on her behalf.

What's nuts is the Lifetime TV movie didn't even need to manufacture drama - they could have just waited for this - now who will walk Meghan down the aisle? My God I can't even...

You summed up perfectly how I feel about all of what's happened the last 24hrs. I'm just beyond gutted for Meghan, & the bolded part, my Mom said that very thing last night. If anything could give Meghan a distraction & the only real reason to laugh & smile yesterday, it would be a visit from her soon to be Nephews & Niece.

Now this news about Yvonne's internet presence really makes sense!

I was going to respond to AlowVera that the dynamics and bullying of Meghan seem racially motivated. That is just my gut feeling. Meghan has a very real and important mission as such a focal point to help society make shifts in treating her with dignity and respect, while recignizing and calling out the hyenas for what they are.

I'm sorry for the pressure I can only imagine this adds to the stress of a wedding - for the couple, especially for Meghan - and kudos to Prince Harry for what he learns and his honorable behavior as this plays out.

Samantha has made her hatred of Meghan no secret. When she started retweeting some of those well known Meghan tumblr theories was when I knew the gloves had come off. In the past few weeks she has gotten more and more openly bitter. And yes I believe she racist and dislikes Meghan and Doria. She slips up a lot and then deletes when people call it out. Probably has happened all Meghan's life.

For those wondering why the attacks on Meghan? There's your answer IMO. We may be in 2018, but sadly all some see is her skin colour & to them, that's all that matters. A sad thing to have to say, but...[emoji20]

Meanwhile in another part of the world little children are having explosives strapped to their bodies .... this wedding really isn’t a big deal if you think about it
If he comes or not

I buried my Dad on Saturday & I've been using this Wedding as a carrot to help w/the stress & emotion of the last 2 weeks. Many are looking forward to having one day where something happy dominates the headlines. Please stop & think before hitting Post.

From Victoria Arbiter:

"I think the Markles need an afternoon in a room with Prince Philip! He’ll set them straight."

?

I had that thought earlier this Morning myself. [emoji4]. Might actually be the one course of action w/a shot of working come to think of it.

On the other hand, a little money, a NDA and an invite to the wedding would have avoided this ridiculous, surreal situation.

I disagree with this. No one should feel obligated to placate, pay off, or cater to people that may possibly try and sabotage things. This is a common theme I've seen most often in stories and tales of organized crime milking people for "protection". There is never any set guarantee that the silence paid for would be honored.

No one could have ever imagined that things would get as bad as they have just in the past few days and I sincerely believe that these people couldn't have been bought off for anything under the sun if they stood to gain from it.

Think about it. They violate the NDA after the wedding is over. Doesn't that just keep them in the limelight even longer as the case drags on through the courts? ;)

Why should Meghan and Harry not have their big wedding because others are vicious? I don't get that mindset. Charles and Camilla's situation is nothing like Meghan and Harry's. This is his first wedding and he is the son of the future monarch. He is a senior working royal. To expect his wedding to be low key is unrealistic and frankly this is downsized all considering.

Anyways...

TMZ just updated. They urging people stop listening to Samantha and talks about their conversation with Thomas Sr.

I know that a lot of people objected to the old practice among RF's and aristocrats of quietly "vetting" not only the bride or bridegroom to be, but also the families of any potential new members of their dynasties in order to avoid exactly the kind of situation we are seeing with the Markles. This has gone out of style as being snobbish, anti-egalitarian, etc.

With the disastrous marriage of the PoW and Lady Diana Spencer all that went out the window and in came the fairly recent idea that love is all that matters in a Royal wedding. Anything and anyone goes now.

I disagreed before Markle Madness and I disagree now.

I cannot imagine why Meghan and Harry believed they would be able to conduct a dignified joyous wedding with these messy people lurking in the background.

I get the feeling that this is only the beginning.:ermm:

Last edited:
The thought has crossed my mind that Meghan wasn't Samatha's only target in all this. It's well known now how she felt about Doria from the start & then Meghan comes along? How dare she share her Father w/*those* People & how dare he leave her & "his real Family" for *them*!?!

It's only a thought, but it's one I wouldn't put past Samantha doing sadly. She finally gets Revenge for all they "did to her" back then & also gets paid for it. Win win in her sad sick mind.

For those wondering why the attacks on Meghan? There's your answer IMO. We may be in 2018, but sadly all some see is her skin colour & to them, that's all that matters. A sad thing to have to say, but...[emoji20]

I buried my Dad on Saturday & I've been using this Wedding as a carrot to help w/the stress & emotion of the last 2 weeks. Many are looking forward to having one day where something happy dominates the headlines. Please stop & think before hitting Post.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I have to disagree with telling other posters how/what to post.

I think the whole racism angle has been driven into the ground quite honestly. There may be some extreme individuals out there who have a problem with Meghan's ethnicity, but they are thankfully few. I think there is a lot of 'reading into' what people say when critiquing Meghan, and it's very easy to write it off to racism as a way to explain it.

I do agree with you that Samantha has probably resented Meghan almost since the day she was born, and that resentment grew as she saw her father pay for Meghan's support. That has nothing to do with the color of Meghan & Doria's skin and everything to do with a quite common reaction to children of second marriages no matter what ethnicity.

I disagree with this. No one should feel obligated to placate, pay off, or cater to people that may possibly try and sabotage things. This is a common theme I've seen most often in stories and tales of organized crime milking people for "protection". There is never any set guarantee that the silence paid for would be honored.

No one could have ever imagined that things would get as bad as they have just in the past few days and I sincerely believe that these people couldn't have been bought off for anything under the sun if they stood to gain from it.

Think about it. They violate the NDA after the wedding is over. Doesn't that just keep them in the limelight even longer as the case drags on through the courts? ;)

Maybe you're right, it's hard to tell.

Now Germaine Greer has been at it again on a BBC TV morning programme, claiming that the Royal Family didn't want Meghan's father at the wedding and that Prince Philip may try and destroy Meghan.

Germaine Greer: Royals didn't want Meghan Markle's father at wedding | Daily Mail Online

The same Greer who uses whichever media platform that would have her, to be unnecessarily horrid about Meghan. I wonder why...:whistling:

Doria’s been dragged to hell and back with the constant nasty lies, smears and attacks on her by sections of the media. In contrast and up until his scam was exposed, compare how Thomas Sr. had largely been left alone and garnered favourable, sympathetic coverage on the rare occasion he featured on the media radar. A wonder Doria manages to keep her wits about her and not collude with the paps/media.

Rotten Markles. Poor Meghan :sad:

Last edited:
I cannot imagine why Meghan and Harry believed they would be able to conduct a dignified joyous wedding with these messy people lurking in the background.

I get the feeling that this is only the beginning.:ermm:

Could not agree more, Moonmaiden! They´re opening a Pandora´s Box next saturday....!:ermm:

I'm going to say something that I already know many people will object to, but, I'm going to vent my frustration nonetheless.

Given the abominable track record of the paternal side of MM in dealing with the press from day 1; given the well-known shallowness of the press; given that Prince Harry has not met his fiancee's father; given that it is MM's second marriage, wouldn't have been more appropriate to have a quieter wedding? This pompous occasion is being marred by a circus of unseen proportions! It reflects extremely bad on the institution of the monarchy. Even if MM is completely innocent in this (though again, to the point of being unnerving, I'll say it again, MM and KP have their own responsibilities) she could have put her dreams of a big, fat, royal wedding aside and have a quieter affair (think Charles and Camilla). It would have spared her (and the RF) a huge embarrassment.

This wedding is toned down for royal weddings. Charles and Camilla had 800 people at their religious blessing and also had a big reception at Windsor Castle. And they've both been married and divorced with adult children. This is Harry's first wedding and befitting of the role those two will undertake from now on.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I have to disagree with telling other posters how/what to post.

I think the whole racism angle has been driven into the ground quite honestly. There may be some extreme individuals out there who have a problem with Meghan's ethnicity, but they are thankfully few. I think there is a lot of 'reading into' what people say when critiquing Meghan, and it's very easy to write it off to racism as a way to explain it.

I do agree with you that Samantha has probably resented Meghan almost since the day she was born, and that resentment grew as she saw her father pay for Meghan's support. That has nothing to do with the color of Meghan & Doria's skin and everything to do with a quite common reaction to children of second marriages no matter what ethnicity.

I completely agree with you Missy. :flowers:

My guess is that the media make a point of trying to contact interesting subjects over and over until they finally relent and give interviews or whatever. TMZ may just have been the most persistent.

Actually it was said that Samantha told others Meghan's mother is the maid. So racism absolutely had an angle in the way she's behaved. Plenty of people have half-siblings or even full siblings that might have received more as the family became more well-off, and don't behave this way.

Meghan Markle: Family and Background

Who said a big royal wedding was ever Meghan’s dream? (And if it was- that’s okay too.) It was expected. There was little to no doubt this wedding was going to be about as big as it is. He’s the son of the heir. Anything smaller would have been met with loud complaints imo. Think Edward’s wedding.

Camilla and Charles are not comparable imo. It was the 2nd marriage for both after high profile divorces complete with loads of scandal. Of course it was smaller.

If I were to guess, they’d probably both have preferred a more private wedding. Just a guess though.

Last edited:
This wedding is toned down for royal weddings. Charles and Camilla had 800 people at their religious blessing and also had a big reception at Windsor Castle. This is Harry's first wedding and befitting of the role those two will undertake from now on.

C&C wedded civilly in private, with no press. The blessing was certainly attended by many people but had a very simple, laid-back feel to it. No comparison to what has been planned for Saturday!

It certainly is Prince Harry's first wedding, and hopefully the last, but he has also been quite at odd with some of the limits of the RF so a simpler affair would have actually been in fact more in tune with his aspirations of being more down-to-earth, etc. With regard to the role that the couple will undertake, we'll have to wait and see. If embarrassing circus situations stop here, then great, but if this is just the beginning, they might have to step down a bit.

With four more days to go, who knows what else might come out!

(And I thought Pippa Middleton lacked class when she kept on and on writing about her derriere...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom