Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
KP can best deal with them by simply ignoring them.

After awhile, even the hungriest tabloids won't be interested in publishing decades-old photos of Meghan's childhood.
With nothing left to sell, the Markles will disappear.

As for Meghan's father, I'm convinced his problems are more mental than physical, and I think Meghan and the RF are better off if he stays away.
He's a loose cannon.

Isn't that the whole premise of Kate, William & Harry's Foundation? Mental health?

What a mess!

But, please, I could see that he needed help!! :sad: Come on, he lives pinching pennies beyond the border, does not work, is overweight and not in good health. He has not even met Prince Harry for goodness sake! For all we know he hasn't seen his daughter in person for years! Yet, she expects that he walks her down the aisle at St. George's chapel...And you think he's going to seamlessly go from buying beer at 7/11 to having tea with the Queen at Windsor Castle? Let's be realistic!

He was stalked by the paparazzi from the day the engagement was announced. EVERYONE expected it I'm sure. Yet, he had no guidance, no security, no place was provided for him where he could just live in peace for a few months. The whole thing is shameful.

I'm sorry to say that all of this does not augur well.

Oh please. How do we know this man is pinching pennies? He owns a house in a well off part of LA, and has his house in MX. I've been to that part of MX, no matter the racist scare tactics of the DM, its NOT the crap place they make it out to be.

His health is his own concern, not his daughters. For all we know KP did offer him help and he turned it down. Doria seems to be doing fine because she has obviously been following KP's lead.

This man is a grown ass adult. Blaming his daughter for his dumb actions is the height of ridiculousness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why and how could they have seen this coming? The man hasn't said anything for over a year. He has been approached and offered plenty of opportunities to talk. Why would anyone think that now, right before the wedding this would happen?

[..]

I will say it again, you can not control grown people. You can not help people who do not want to be helped. Outreach may have been done and rebuffed for all we know. What should Meghan have done? KP?

Look, he has the right to live a quiet life. But he himself has said that he was embarrassed by some of the paparazzi pictures that were taken of him. Honestly, if you're MM and see you father pictured buying a discounted toilet at Home Depot, which of course would embarrass ANYONE, I think you can give some friendly advice. Maybe paying for an assistant for a few months to run errands for your dad, to assist him with some logistical, security, press issues. Making sure that psychologically you can withstand the pressure that comes with a royal wedding. Maybe flying him to London well before the wedding to get acquainted with your new life. Again, he hasn't met Prince Harry!! If he was the one to refuse these easy offers then, maybe he shouldn't have been asked to play a role at the wedding. Queen Maxima didn't have her father at the wedding (for different reasons) and it was ok and understood. It honestly looks as if MM and her father are not part of each other lives and that she only wanted him to walk her down the aisle and not to be part of her life. It sounds harsh and I'm sorry but hings just don't add up. (I don't even comment on that bunch of trailer park's characters that are her half-siblings).

But, please, I could see that he needed help!! :sad: Come on, he lives pinching pennies beyond the border, does not work, is overweight and not in good health. He has not even met Prince Harry for goodness sake! For all we know he hasn't seen his daughter in person for years! Yet, she expects that he walks her down the aisle at St. George's chapel...And you think he's going to seamlessly go from buying beer at 7/11 to having tea with the Queen at Windsor Castle? Let's be realistic!

He was stalked by the paparazzi from the day the engagement was announced. EVERYONE expected it I'm sure. Yet, he had no guidance, no security, no place was provided for him where he could just live in peace for a few months. The whole thing is shameful.

And how do you know that those things weren't discussed or offered? And he is of retirement age, so he is retired. He's not just, not working. I'm sure he collects social security and has a pension. He's had financial difficulties in the past, so perhaps he's taking pains to live within or even below his means. Some people actually want to live frugally.

But the bottom line is, whether you could see he needed help, or Meghan or KP, no one can make him take it. Unless Meghan has been made his conservator or guardian, in the eyes of the law he's a grown man allowed to live where and how he wishes, dress as he wishes and take care off (or not) his health as he wishes.

Putting this in Meghan or KP is ridiculous unless you know for a fact that left his cries for help unheeded.

I'm sorry but how you know he "pinching pennies". Samantha is a liar. That is clear. I don't buy this man is in grave financial strain. I really don't. Nothing I have seen of him gives me that impression. He lives a quiet life but that doesn't mean he struggling.

Thomas Sr has been hassled by the press. I think he is a proud man and did something stupid but I also think he is caught up now and doesn't know how to react. He embarrassed and acting out. Talking to TMZ and venting about Samantha? Admitting he hasn't even talked to Meghan. Seems like he spinning.

And none of this so called family are around. They all plotting for the 15 minutes instead.

He was set up by Samantha, and I thought she took great delight in telling the Loose Women today that she organised it. She knew it would cause problems and this was her way of sticking her nose up to Meghan that she had the last word and had spoiled her wedding. Quite right that she didnt get an invitation in the first place.

If he has mental health issues, I truly hope he gets the help he needs.

I simply don't see how Meghan could've or should've helped him. He was adamant he wanted to walk her down the aisle. Samantha demanded it on multiple interviews. KP were helping with the paparazzi, but Thomas wanted to make some money through them. He clearly lied to Meghan, as KP were telling the press until last minute to back off, to the point they're getting blamed for this mess, not the paparazzi chasing after Tom Sr.

I don't know that Meghan would have necessarily seen THIS coming but perhaps everyone should have realized this would be difficult for her father to navigate on his own. It doesn't seem he has anyone with whom he could share any of this.

Meghan hasn't lived with her dad or even in the same city for nearly 20 years or so--I think you don't really know what is going on with people unless you are around them daily--so I wouldn't say she knows her dad currently. She does know the kind of life he lived when she was a child.

To go from living a quiet, retired life, not having to get dressed up much to having to dress up for a very formal wedding televised around the world and have the prospect of talking to the Queen of England and 599 other people at the reception seems like it could be pretty overwhelming.

Exactly. Of course nobody could have specifically foreseen that he would made a deal with the paparazzi, but that something silly or improper could happen, yes. Also, it looks as if nobody told Mr. Markle something like: "Look, they'll try to interview you for money, trick you into saying something you'll regret while at the Post Office, offer you money for old pictures, or stage pictures in exchange for money, etc." or he wouldn't have done it...

Come on, he lives pinching pennies beyond the border, does not work, is overweight and not in good health.

He lives in a nice gated community with other expats where he has a home that would cost millions in LA. Just because he doesn't dress up doesn't mean he is pinching pennies. Of course he doesn't work, he's 73 years old--he is retired! Yes, we can see he's overweight--so are a lot of other people.

He made a deal with paparazzi for pics. He knew the pics were going to be published. The pics are so fake he knew it would be discovered he posed for them. And once that happened he had to have known the embarrassment it would cause.

This is the part i can't wrap my brain around. How could Mr. Markle not have known his deal would be discovered?

We should have known he was no better than the others, look at the 2 children he raised.

He also raised Meghan and he seems to have done a good job on her. Doria wasn't a single parent.

He lives in a nice gated community with other expats where he has a home that would cost millions in LA. Just because he doesn't dress up doesn't mean he is pinching pennies. Of course he doesn't work, he's 73 years old--he is retired! Yes, we can see he's overweight--so are a lot of other people.

A lot of retired people choose communities like that in Mexico. It allows them warm weather and luxuries that they likely couldn't afford in other countries. Living on a pension and your retirement savings can get expensive. My parents spent a few winters doing that in Mexico, in a very similar community. Due to his cancer, they cant now.

I don't think NDAs would have worked. An NDA is like pleading the Fifth in an American criminal court: it implies admission of guilt. (Although a person has the right not to incriminate him/herself.) T money hungry Markles would have hired a Fame hungry attorney who would give interviews to major broadcast and cable networks and file motions to get the NDA thrown out for various reasons. The case would have tried on the courthouse steps, also known as the court of public opinion.

Oh please. How do we know this man is pinching pennies? He owns a house in a well off part of LA, and has his house in MX. I've been to that part of MX, no matter the racist scare tactics of the DM, its NOT the crap place they make it out to be.

His health is his own concern, not his daughters. For all we know KP did offer him help and he turned it down. Doria seems to be doing fine because she has obviously been following KP's lead.

This man is a grown ass adult. Blaming his daughter for his dumb actions is the height of ridiculousness.

1. He filed for bankruptcy.
2. You don't move to Mexico because you have extra cash to spend. At the very least, you move to pay less taxes. People in San Diego cross the border to go to the dentist's because they're cheaper...
3. If you are a compassionate, honorable child, your parent's health should be your concern.
4. If with your choices you FORCE your parent into the limelight, you are responsible for his actions when they relate to dealing with the press, the Royal Family and your new country. True or not, MM could have just said: "My father and I love each other. He supports my marriage and decisions, but, unlike myself, he has chosen a quiet, private life and I'm protective of him so I will walk down the aisle by myself while thinking of him."

This said of course he's an idiot, but MM should know.

Meghan Markle's father says he will not attend the Royal Wedding | Daily Mail Online

Poor man, I feel really sorry for him. Wish Meghan would take a flight to Mexico, and give her father a great big hug!!

He didn't stand a chance; it was a perfect and vicious sting!! No matter he made a mistake, but now the press have ruined his chance of attending his daughter's wedding by making him feel worthless. Shame on them!

To me, his not attending the wedding is worse than his misjudgment in participating in the pictures. I am not sure if it is his choice not to attend or if he has been disinvited, but if it is his choice, he needs to swallow his pride, put his daughter first, and walk her down that aisle.

see your father pictured buying a discounted toilet at Home Depot, which of course would embarrass ANYONE,

This is just silly. There is NOTHING embarrassing about buying a toilet at Home Depot or anywhere else. Nor would seeing a photo of your father doing so cause you to suddenly say OMG dad needs HELP.

If after this wedding (and their horrible antics) this family (Sam, Thomas Jr., the cousins, the uncles, and possibly Thomas Sr.) think that they are ever seeing Meghan (or any potential children) they are seriously delusional.

I can't think of any rational person not understanding her totally cutting them out of her life.

Oh silly me...she has cut them out of her life and they keep coming back.

Oh please tell me I am not going to have to watch any of them on BBC America offering any comments while I am trying to watch the wedding coverage. :ohmy: Well, I am recording it so I will just fast forward through them if they do.

Yvonne (I prefer to call her by her birth name) engages with some of the worst trolls on Twitter who have spread the craziest conspiracy theories and are downright racist towards Meghan. She retweets a lot of their mess. But she loves Meghan, right? Bitter and resentful woman.

Now this news about Yvonne's internet presence really makes sense!

I was going to respond to AlowVera that the dynamics and bullying of Meghan seem racially motivated. That is just my gut feeling. Meghan has a very real and important mission as such a focal point to help society make shifts in treating her with dignity and respect, while recignizing and calling out the hyenas for what they are.

I'm sorry for the pressure I can only imagine this adds to the stress of a wedding - for the couple, especially for Meghan - and kudos to Prince Harry for what he learns and his honorable behavior as this plays out.

But if he ended up needing help with the paparazzi (and that's a big if), why didn't tptb realize ahead of time that he might need to be coached and groomed before the wedding?

Does anyone remember when the photos of him at the internet cafe came out, the beating I got for mentioning that they should have 'brought him in' for some polishing? Now what do you think about that idea? Why didn't BP treat him like a prince, bring him over for a couple weeks, show him the sites and let him get used to playing a role in this spectacle? That is, IF you believe that he just couldn't handle the paparazzi/pressure.

KP has egg on their faces, this whole media circus shows how little control and foresight they have imo.

First three photo ops were from late March. I would think that even if they had entertained that idea, they most likely would not have thought he might need babysitting for 2 months!

To me, his not attending the wedding is worse than his misjudgment in participating in the pictures. I am not sure if it is his choice not to attend or if he has been disinvited, but if it is his choice, he needs to swallow his pride, put his daughter first, and walk her down that aisle.

I don't think he was disinivited, I think someone got to him and upset him, his nutty family or tabloids (TMZ reporters?) and he's in a tailspin.

He was stalked by the paparazzi from the day the engagement was announced. EVERYONE expected it I'm sure. Yet, he had no guidance, no security, no place was provided for him where he could just live in peace for a few months. The whole thing is shameful. And by the way, her mother going to Oprah's house to have a "chat" for six hours isn't edifying either.

Second, her dad was not stalked from the day of the engagement. His location was unknown to the paparazzi and tabloids until his brother sold it to the tabloids and they descended there. Meghan's mom's security was ready outside of her house with a statement from KP being handed to media that approached because they already knew the press knew where she lived. Had Tom wanted security, I'm sure the same would've been provided for him. And no, I don't think confining someone to place they don't know is a good idea unless they want it. And clearly, neither wanted it and wanted to go about their own lives. And what does going to buy beer have anything to do with having tea with the Queen? I'm sure Harry has also bought beer in his life, don't see that as a conflict from having tea with Queen. Tom might not have been as comfortable going in, but I highly doubt he has to spend a significant amount of time at tea. Suck it up and spend an hour with an in-law for your daughter isn't too much to ask. Still not seeing how Meghan should've seen this mess coming. He's said he'd love to walk her down the aisle, and he's never spilled any dirty laundry to the media before.

This is just silly. There is NOTHING embarrassing about buying a toilet at Home Depot or anywhere else. Nor would seeing a photo of your father doing so cause you to suddenly say OMG dad needs HELP.

I think it would make me say, "OMG, my dad is smart to be looking for deals and living within his means, since he has had money troubles in the past." But maybe that's just me.

It's so easy to say what Meghan should've done and said, but we don't know what she did say and do. Perhaps her father insisted he wants to walk her down the aisle.

And the paparazzi harassment isn't Meghan's fault, she didn't force anyone to stalk her father. That ALL is on the tabloids and press, who are still giving platform to the markles. Just this morning loose women had Samantha on. KP were telling the press to back off, but they wont back off when Tom had made a deal with one of them. And is still talking to TMZ.

If Tom felt overwhelmed by it all, he should've backed off from walking her down the aisle. He should've had an honest conversation with Meghan. She's a compassionate, smart woman, she would have understood. By all accounts, he was insisting that he walk her down the aisle.

And how do you know that those things weren't discussed or offered? And he is of retirement age, so he is retired. He's not just, not working. I'm sure he collects social security and has a pension. He's had financial difficulties in the past, so perhaps he's taking pains to live within or even below his means. Some people actually want to live frugally.

But the bottom line is, whether you could see he needed help, or Meghan or KP, no one can make him take it. Unless Meghan has been made his conservator or guardian, in the eyes of the law he's a grown man allowed to live where and how he wishes, dress as he wishes and take care off (or not) his health as he wishes.

Putting this in Meghan or KP is ridiculous unless you know for a fact that left his cries for help unheeded.

Of course, I don't know. But again, if these things were offered and refused a big red, ringing alarm should have sounded in MM and KP's heads! You either completely distance yourself from him or you can't leave a loose cannonball like that doing things on his own and expect that he shows up at Windsor Castle as if it's his second-nature.

(By the way, if living frugally is a choice, you don't buy lottery tickets...)

One last thing. The strangest thing to me is that he hasn't met Prince Harry. That has always sounded a big, red alarm in my head. Again, if it's Mr. Markle's choice not to meet him then maybe he should not be part of the wedding.

Do we know if he walked her down the aisle at her first wedding?

According to some royal reporters, this will get some public sympathy for Meghan.

If Meghan's mother ends up walking her down the aisle, I expect most reporters and the public to have sympathy for her that somehow her father was not in a position to do so. If after this mess, her father is still the one to walk her down the aisle, I don't expect people to feel as much sympathy for her as in that case she clearly is fine with his behavior (might be the reasoning) and the whole wedding just one big masquerade (it's easy to blow things out of proportion, just trying to think how the media might spin this).

Last edited:

I actually agree. :flowers:

Now this news about Yvonne's internet presence really makes sense!

I was going to respond to AlowVera that the dynamics and bullying of Meghan seem racially motivated. That is just my gut feeling. Meghan has a very real and important mission as such a focal point to help society make shifts in treating her with dignity and respect, while recignizing and calling out the hyenas for what they are.

I'm sorry for the pressure I can only imagine this adds to the stress of a wedding - for the couple, especially for Meghan - and kudos to Prince Harry for what he learns and his honorable behavior as this plays out.

Samantha has made her hatred of Meghan no secret. When she started retweeting some of those well known Meghan tumblr theories was when I knew the gloves had come off. In the past few weeks she has gotten more and more openly bitter. And yes I believe she racist and dislikes Meghan and Doria. She slips up a lot and then deletes when people call it out. Probably has happened all Meghan's life.

Well, I certainly admire your confidence! ?

If it were my father, I would feel responsible to cause him such embarrassment (whether we agree or not, Mr. Markle said he found some paparazzi pictures embarrassing. I'll give the statement the benefit of the doubt).

Honest question: how do we know this? I'm sorry I'm just catching up with all of this...?

The palace was called by journalists and they had no clue; had Meghan been informed she surely would have warned her staff that it would be coming.

I'm just wondering when he was expected to arrive in London. I'd say tomorrow (Tuesday) or Wednesday at the latest if he was to meet his daughter's future husband and in-laws in the days leading up to the wedding...

1. He filed for bankruptcy.
2. You don't move to Mexico because you have extra cash to spend. At the very least, you move to pay less taxes. People in San Diego cross the border to go to the dentist's because they're cheaper...
3. If you are a compassionate, honorable child, your parent's health should be your concern.
4. If with your choices you FORCE your parent into the limelight, you are responsible for his actions when they relate to dealing with the press, the Royal Family and your new country. True or not, MM could have just said: "My father and I love each other. He supports my marriage and decisions, but, unlike myself, he has chosen a quiet, private life and I'm protective of him so I will walk down the aisle by myself while thinking of him."

This said of course he's an idiot, but MM should know.
Where he lives is actually an area with a lot of ex-pats. For the simple fact that you can have a beach house for MUCH cheaper than in San Diego just a little bit north. Any person with a pragmatic approach that wants to live in the area would consider this.

And Meghan's dad looks overweight, but he's always been overweight from what we've seen of photos from Meghan's childhood. How is she to blame for this? Is she supposed to force him to workout or something?

And Meghan and Harry have tried to help by working with the press to leave him alone behind the scenes AS THE MEDIA HAS ADMITTED. We have to keep in mind that there is a lot going on at the press office behind the scene than we are privy to. Remember that November 8th, 2016 letter? We knew NOTHING of what they were trying to do behind the scenes until that letter. We thought they were just sitting there and letting the storm pass. But that wasn't the case. Granted, a letter like that is only the last resort and can't be used every time, but obviously a lot happened before it was issued. The media has said KP has repeatedly asked them to respect his privacy and a IPSO complaint was even filed.

If Meghan's mother ends up walking her down the aisle, I expect most reporters and the public to have sympathy for her that somehow her father was not in a position to do so. If after this mess, her father is still the one to walk her down the aisle, I don't expect people to feel as much sympathy for her as than she clearly is fine with his behavior (might be the reasoning) and the whole wedding just one big masquerade (it's easy to blow things out of proportion, just trying to think how the media might spin this).

From what I've read, reporters are actually rather sympathetic and still hopes the family can work this out before the wedding. A lot of them were quite restraint on the news about the photos as well, which is why I find this news quite upsetting. The storm was passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom