Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty interesting article highlighting Meghan's circle of friends. What I liked about it was how they actually mentioned her non celebrity friends. You can tell this person attempted to be somewhat accurate. Also a lot of interesting quotes from some of her more well known friends.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2018/04/meghan-markle-is-going-royal-can-her-friends-come-too

The 'family' section of the flow chart graphic in that article shows a picture of her beagle Guy, which made me wonder if he's still a part of the family.

I would think Guy is very much part of the family, I don't see any reason to think otherwise.

Last edited:
The 'family' section of the flow chart graphic in that article shows a picture of her beagle Guy, which made me wonder if he's still a part of the family.

Why wouldn’t he be?

Seems like it Xenia. I'd never heard of her till she was dating Harry. She's had fairly steady work, but she' wasn't famous. Not htat being "A List" means you're necessarily a great actor.. because it often has more to do with looks and determination.. and luck.. Meghan may well have been a good actress technically but she simply had not become a star... However I'm guessing she's a competent but far from brilliant actress... and she was employed which in a job like acting, is doing pretty well... But she wasn't famous....

I agree. She went from a little-known actress to the most googled actress in the world because of dating Harry.

But I also don't believe Meghan has a passion for acting, like some do.
It seems she enjoyed it but it really wasn't her reason for being.

In any case, now she's going to have the biggest stage ever!

I agree. She went from a little-known actress to the most googled actress in the world because of dating Harry.

But I also don't believe Meghan has a passion for acting, like some do.
It seems she enjoyed it but it really wasn't her reason for being.

In any case, now she's going to have the biggest stage ever!

I think at one point that’s her thing. But people grow up and their priorities change. We’ve seen that in Meghan’s work outside of Suits before this. Like other have said before, philanthropy isn’t just something she picked up because she as involved with Harry, she was doing it before he came along. At some point t, she realized at this point in her life, that’s more important to her and gives her a feeling of being that acting didn’t provide. As she said in her engagement box, she felt like once they reached 100 episodes, so felt like she could check the box that part of her life. She felt that she completed a lifelong goal she’s had. Now it’s time to move on.

She even said her job paid for her ability to do what she loved, charity work. So yeah I don't think being an actress was a must for her...she wasn't one of the ladies who's identity was tied up in being an actress.

LaRae

She even said her job paid for her ability to do what she loved, charity work. So yeah I don't think being an actress was a must for her...she wasn't one of the ladies who's identity was tied up in being an actress.

LaRae

For some actors and actresses, being themselves is the hardest part. Meghan doesn't seem to have problems with that. :lol:

Yep they lose their sense of self and I agree, Meghan doesn't seem to have any issue with that.

LaRae

I would take ‘Im only an actress to support my real passion of charity work’ with a few pinches of virtue signalling salt.

I suppose she could have moved to Calcutta and worked with lepers and not been a tv actress at all.

Would make it more difficult to Instagram from there though.

I don't know if she actually said she's only an actress to support her passion for charity work or is that something people have come up with based on different things she's said and some assumptions.

However, by all accounts, she was thinking about her life after Suits, and making a change for the better is definitely where she wanted to go based on all accounts we've heard and based on her own actions. She was getting more and more involved with various charitable efforts on her own even before this.

Busy news day on the royal front.

Prince Harry's private secretary, Edward Lane Fox, will be leaving his post in the summer after five years. Samantha Cohen, HMQ's assistant private secretary, will serve as interim private secretary.

For some reason, I thought Samantha Cohen's name was familiar. Wasn't she involved in some of the drama that went on behind the scenes or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take ‘Im only an actress to support my real passion of charity work’ with a few pinches of virtue signalling salt.

Not taking for a grain of salt. I believe her for the most part because we know it wasn't her 1st choice but it provided her with a lifestyle she enjoyed. I don't think it is quite that word for word. And I do think she enjoyed her career but I won't say it was her main passion. We saw pre-Harry how involved she still was in the political side of things. Case and point her UN Women's speech and writing letters at age 11. And also how she was constantly branching out to do other things, in particular "The Tig". She now has a bigger platform.

I agree Meghan's visibility grew exponentially due to her relationship with Harry. But, it takes the Person + Platform = Effect. I don't think you'd see the same impact with just any warm body standing in as Harry's girlfriend/fiancée.

I don't know if she actually said she's only an actress to support her passion for charity work or is that something people have come up with based on different things she's said and some assumptions.

However, by all accounts, she was thinking about her life after Suits, and making a change for the better is definitely where she wanted to go based on all accounts we've heard and based on her own actions. She was getting more and more involved with various charitable efforts on her own even before this.

It was an interview posted here last year ...she talked about it.

LaRae

It was never indicated as such either.

LaRae

My point is there is some assumption in that she was just an actress to support her charitable work. She's never hinted her acting work is simply that. I think it's quite dismissive to suggest it as such even as her philanthropic efforts begin to take a bigger part of her life.

With that said, I agree Meghan's visibility grew exponentially due to her relationship with Harry. But, it takes the Person + Platform = Effect. I don't think you'd see the same impact with just any warm body standing in as Harry's girlfriend/fiancée.

I have to disagree.
Chelsy Davy was unknown, but her past relationship with Harry guarantees her press coverage now, even though it is years since they parted.

Cressida Bonas was a wannabe actress; being with Harry got her publicity, followed by job offers. She's constantly photographed leaving the theater.

I honestly believe the impact would be the same, no matter who Harry was marrying.

Not really an assumption Jacqui since I read the interview and she specifically mentioned her work as an actress making it possible to do her charity work which she loved.

It's not dismissive at all, I think it's admirable that she used her talents to figure out how to fund her passion.

LaRae

I have to disagree.
Chelsy Davy was unknown, but her past relationship with Harry guarantees her press coverage now, even though it is years since they parted.

Cressida Bonas was a wannabe actress; being with Harry got her publicity, followed by job offers.

I honestly believe the impact would be the same, no matter who Harry was marrying.

I think this discussion might have veered off a bit, but the original Meghan Effect we were discussing was her clothes flying off the shelves as soon as she's seen in them. I don't think that's happening for Chelsey or Cressida. I don't know if it did before as I didn't follow them.

Not really an assumption Jacqui since I read the interview and she specifically mentioned her work as an actress making it possible to do her charity work which she loved.

It's not dismissive at all, I think it's admirable that she used her talents to figure out how to fund her passion.

LaRae

I still think there is quite a distance from her saying her acting working made it possible to do her philanthropic work to she's only an actress as a way to fund her philanthropic work. One is is gives her the opportunity, whether financially or the opportunity or both, to do this work. The other saying that's just a means to an end.

I still think there is quite a distance from her saying her acting working made it possible to do her philanthropic work to she's only an actress as a way to fund her philanthropic work. One is is gives her the opportunity, whether financially or the opportunity or both, to do this work. The other saying that's just a means to an end.

I doubt she had to force herself to go to work so no not a means to and end necessarily however there was an obvious point to be made that the priority to her was the charity work and this is how she funded it.

LaRae

Further she made it pretty clear during the engagement interview that she had ticked that box. I don't think she had a driving passion to continue being an actress and I got the impression she was already looking at other options.

LaRae

From everything I've seen and have learned about Meghan, I don't think she did anything in her life by half measures. She would give her best to whatever she was doing and that includes her acting career and her philanthropic work. If she made a commitment to something, she committed herself to it.

That's quite an attractive attitude to have going into royal work and it will serve her well.

From everything I've seen and have learned about Meghan, I don't think she did anything in her life by half measures. She would give her best to whatever she was doing and that includes her acting career and her philanthropic work. If she made a commitment to something, she committed herself to it.

That's quite an attractive attitude to have going into royal work and it will serve her well.

One of the most admirable traits she has exhibited, in my opinion. It will definitely serve her well as Harry's wife: the willingness to work (very, very) hard is the only way to survive a lifetime as a working royal.

I think this discussion might have veered off a bit, but the original Meghan Effect we were discussing was her clothes flying off the shelves as soon as she's seen in them. I don't think that's happening for Chelsey or Cressida. I don't know if it did before as I didn't follow them.

But Harry wasn't actually engaged to either of them, so there is that to consider. :flowers:

But Harry wasn't actually engaged to either of them, so there is that to consider. :flowers:

They weren't engaged yet when "The Meghan Effect" started either. They have talked a lot about how a lot of her clothing she was seen in during their dating period sold out especially the stuff from the Invictus Games.

Also I do think the element of "different" with Meghan plays a massive part. Andrew Morton was on "The View" here in America and he flat out said he wouldn't be on this massive press tour if he was writing about, lets say, Cressida. We would be curious, of course, but no denial it was upped by the interest globally.

They weren't engaged yet when "The Meghan Effect" started either. They have talked a lot about how a lot of her clothing she was seen in during their dating period sold out especially the stuff from the Invictus Games.

Also I do think the element of "different" with Meghan plays a massive part. Andrew Morton was on "The View" here in America and he flat out said he wouldn't be on this massive press tour if he was writing about, lets say, Cressida. We would be curious, of course, but no denial it was upped by the interest globally.

The clip you mention is on YouTube and copied below. The specific quote you talked about starts at 3:06 for anyone that's interested.

We can see that by how she has done over 20 engagements while planning a wedding, immigrating to a new country, dealing with a hostile UK press, dealing with grifting half siblings, converting to the COE, building relationships with the new inlaws. Meeting privately with possible new charities. She has done quite a lot in this short period of time.

We can see that by how she has done over 20 engagements while planning a wedding, immigrating to a new country, dealing with a hostile UK press, dealing with grifting half siblings, converting to the COE, building relationships with the new inlaws. Meeting privately with possible new charities. She has done quite a lot in this short period of time.

I tell ya if the "Meghan Effect" happened to be that they found a way to bottle her energies, I'd be first in line to buy it by the cases. :D

Many of the posters here didn't know about Meghan before she met Harry, but that doesn't take away from the fact, that she was an actress with over 1 million followers on instagram, had a very successful clothing line and an equally successful lifestyle blog, which brought her a really nice income. That's more than I assume either of Harry's exes have going on even after their relationships with Harry. IMHO the Meghan effect is largely happening because of her own qualities, not just because of her engagement with Harry. I don't think the same would be happening had he proposed to any other woman.

IMHO the Meghan effect is largely happening because of her own qualities, not just because of her engagement with Harry. I don't think the same would be happening had he proposed to any other woman.

But did it happen before she met Harry?
Not to my knowledge, but I really wasn't aware of her before that, so I can't say for sure.

But I do think the Meghan Effect only began once she and Harry began making public appearances together. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom