Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not saying he isn’t a great guy or a great dad. He can be both those things still. I personally just find it very strange he hasn’t met her fiancé. Both Harry and Meghan have the resources to make it happen. But it is obvious Meghan is very close to her dad and that he doted on her—-not doubting that at all.

I am not saying he isn’t a great guy or a great dad. He can be both those things still. I personally just find it very strange he hasn’t met her fiancé. Both Harry and Meghan have the resources to make it happen. But it is obvious Meghan is very close to her dad and that he doted on her—-not doubting that at all.

Well, they are in a very strange situation. :lol: Most of us don't have security details following us 24/7, or paparazzi for that matter. Most of us don't wake up in the morning and find out there are a number of things written about us, true or not.

It's a very strange situation, because of who Harry is. 24/7 security and any lack of privacy are only 2 of them. I don't find it strange at all, tbh.

What resources are you referring to that Prince Harry or Meghan would have that would over-ride International laws and security issues for a member of the Royal family travelling to a foreign country? If the father cannot travel to the country where it would be easier for Harry to have met him, what other options would there be?

Last edited:
Oh come on, Harry has shown several times he can get around places without the media knowing. Do you think that doesn’t extend to Mexico? Maybe it was a security issue, I am not precluding that at all. But when I say resources I mean money and the ability to fly on private planes if need be, etc. According to Thomas’ brother, Mr Markle was in Oregon to visit him a couple of months ago. So, unless the brother is lying (and he could be of course), Thomas seems to be able to travel at least a little.

I am confused as to why people are so defensive about this. I love both Meghan and Harry and have been pleased as punch this last week with everything. My personal opinion is that It is strange indeed (beyond Harry being Harry and his life being what it is with security and media and all that) with Harry not meeting his future father in law. Thomas Markle may just be extremely shy and reclusive. It was the one moment that jumped out to me as very stiled and awkward during their engagement interview as well when they talked about Harry not meeting him.

I am not disparaging Mr Markle’s character or saying he is a bad dad or anything.

Last edited:
Prince Harry cannot just simply hop on a private plane and travel to Mexico to visit his girlfriend's father. To me it's a bit offensive to suggest, that there is something weird going on, just because Harry hasn't met Meghan's father, that he is somehow odd because of it.

Fine, I am done debating this. I am sorry this turned into a multi post debate. That was not my intention.

Prince Harry cannot just simply hop on a private plane and travel to Mexico to visit his girlfriend's father. To me it's a bit offensive to suggest, that there is something weird going on, just because Harry hasn't met Meghan's father, that he is somehow odd because of it.

The way the press has been following Harry around - any hint that he was going to Mexico would let the engagement cat out of the bag. If Thomas tried to leave Mexico, that would probably be a sign of something too. Plus - I read he had to change his phone number - because he'd been found by paparazzi.

If Harry wanted his blessing before asking Meghan - no way could he get to Mexico or even Thomas into the US very easily. Plus - doesn't Thomas have difficulty walking? Travel wouldn't be trivial for him.

I just don't think there was much Harry could do to meet him personally before the engagement. The attention the press was giving to Doria and others was on overdrive.

Maybe they can visit him over the holidays or he can come to the US.

ETA: Whoops - just saw Zaira's last post... I guess we were typing around the same time.

Also, the Fail is reporting they have Meghan’s Suits CV (???) not sure what that means per se but in addition to the more salacious stuff they focused on it, it mentions she speaks three different languages, although neither the Mail nor TMZ (who originally posted about it) listed the languages. It also reportedly listed horseback riding under skills too. I can link it in on my phone. They don’t post the actual document.

Given her background in International Studies, it wouldn’t surprise be if she could speak more than one language. At my school in IR, you had to specialize in a language. She also had that position at the Embassy which likely requires some or proficient fluency in Spanish.

Last edited:
Also, the Fail is reporting they have Meghan’s Suits CV (???) not sure what that means per se but in addition to the more salacious stuff they focused on it, it mentions she speaks three different languages, although neither the Mail nor TMZ (who originally posted about it) listed the languages. It also reportedly listed horseback riding under skills too. I can link it in on my phone. They don’t post the actual document.

Given her background in International Studies, it wouldn’t surprise be if she could speak more than one language. At my school in IR, you had to specialize in a language. She also had that position at the Embassy which likely requires some or proficient fluency in Spanish.

CV is short for Curriculum Vitae. It's normally used exclusively by PhDs instead of a resume because it's format allows you to list your publications, courses taught, journal articles, speaking appearances, etc., in addition to your work experience.

Some people now call a resume a "CV" in an attempt to be fancy, but I'm pretty sure what the Fail has is just a basic resume.

I'm guessing she speaks English, Spanish and French.

I wouldn't put much trusts in that CV report. There are so many crazy things in there that I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up with a lawsuit.

Yes, I am aware of what a CV is, thank you. My question mark is more about if this supposed CV is what she used to audition for Suits or what.

And I am taking this with a load of salt, obviously. But I just found the language part interesting. Same with the horseback riding which would be a lovely way for her to bond not only with Harry but with HM and others in the family, if true.

Ugh, I can’t imagine how frustrating it is to have stories and things coming out about you from all angles without any way to refute them, even innocent stoties. Meghan seems like a tough cookie and I am sure Harry is a huge support but it’s a lot for a person to deal with I am sure.

Last edited:
Just FYI actors resumes are not the same as regular resumes. They have a Special Skills section which covers things the actor can do that is special for the role such as juggling or burping on cue. It does not mean she was a juggler just that she can do it should the roll call for it.

Yes, I am aware of what a CV is, thank you. My question mark is more about if this supposed CV is what she used to audition for Suits or what.

Oh - sorry about that... the ??? can right after the CV part, so I thought you were questioning that - now I see you meant the fact that it was supposedly what she used for her Suits audition. Gotcha.

And I am taking this with a load of salt, obviously. But I just found the language part interesting. Same with the horseback riding which would be a lovely way for her to bond not only with Harry but with HM and others in the family, if true.

If she was an international studies major, this wouldn't surprise me. She probably speaks Spanish just from growing up in CA, along with English... so I wonder what the third language would be.

Ugh, I can’t imagine how frustrating it is to have stories and things coming out about you from all angles without any way to refute them, even innocent stoties. Meghan seems like a tough cookie and I am sure Harry is a huge support but it’s a lot for a person to deal with I am sure.

She did say in her interview with Harry that she doesn't read any of the press about herself - positive or negative.

That's a very healthy attitude - I'm not sure I'd be able to resist, actually.

If she was an international studies major, this wouldn't surprise me. She probably speaks Spanish just from growing up in CA, along with English... so I wonder what the third language would be.

She said in an old interview that she took French for 8 years.

She did say in her interview with Harry that she doesn't read any of the press about herself - positive or negative.

That's a very healthy attitude - I'm not sure I'd be able to resist, actually.

Yea, it's best that way. They'll call KP for a comment. If there is something she needs to be concerned about or take action on, the communications secretary will let her know.

Last edited:
So true (the underlined). You just get used to the distance, and since (because of distance) every-day life is not shared, the 'closeness' becomes something different, or manifests differently. :flowers: If they do in fact talk weekly that is huge in my book. I have natal family scattered to the winds. Weekly calls are out of the question for most of us. I know they exist there, we do not always have to be 'touching'. It's the way it evolves when people move away. I see nothing amiss on the face of it. No reason to fuss about it. It is private. (Maybe Mr Markle is in the process of correcting his diet and working out to be sleek and handsome for his daughter's big day. ;) Possible. Happens all the time).

Good points. :flowers: Very true.

I agree overall with what you are saying, though we do know that Harry has visited with Meghan's mother several times. He hinted at the visits being longish, I think. We actually don't know where these meet-ups happened. They could have happened in L.A. The couple indicated that they had been traveling lots of places.

The decision not to meet the father in person, or the father to meet Harry, could be rooted in any number of considerations (which we will never know unless it comes out at some point). Like others I assume they have Skyped. :flowers:
Harry paid for her mother to meet them in Canada. The photo is a ways down. I've seen it in other articles and a video as well. More here

Harry paid for her mother to meet them in Canada. The photo is a ways down. I've seen it in other articles and a video as well. More here

It was rumored that it was Harry's idea to invite Doria to IG closing ceremony. But we don't know if she was already in Toronto visiting Meghan anyways. It also didn't look like the first time they've met. There were also rumors that Doria, at least at one point, was in London with Meghan. I know a lot of people doubted it then because there weren't pictures, but we now know there were a lot of times Meghan was in London and we didn't get any pictures.

Daily Fail has completely lost their minds over this engagement. They went to Meghan's dad's home in Mexico and interviewed the owner of a local storage facility that Tom Markle rents a unit from. They also tried to interview Tom Markle outside of his home, and he told them he can't say anything out of respect for his family.

Last edited by a moderator:
She said in an old interview that she took French for 8 years.

Yea, it's best that way. They'll call KP for a comment. If there is something she needs to be concerned about or take action on, the communications secretary will let her know.

Oh I didn’t know about the French. Very impressive if she is multilingual! Harry has such a catch with Meghan.

Front Page on MailOnline are pictures of Thomas Markle Sr. It looks like they did indeed find him.

The British press is relentless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Front Page on MailOnline are pictures of Thomas Markle Sr. It looks like they did indeed find him.

I feel so sorry for Meghan and Harry. I'm sure the haters are happy.

This is getting out of control. They actually sent someone down to Mexico to stalk him. There has to be a line somewhere. He's made it clear he doesn't want to talk to them, and yet, they stalk him, and take pictures of back of his house with long lenses since they can't get to it due to the rocky hills.

CV is short for Curriculum Vitae. It's normally used exclusively by PhDs instead of a resume because it's format allows you to list your publications, courses taught, journal articles, speaking appearances, etc., in addition to your work experience.

Some people now call a resume a "CV" in an attempt to be fancy, but I'm pretty sure what the Fail has is just a basic resume.

In the UK CV (Curriculum Vitae) is the same as US Resume and its been like that for the past 50 years ( that's as far back I can remember).

Its a British thing!

This makes me so sad. They intentionally made that man a target. I don't care what anyone says but this intense hatred is motivated by race and sexism. They will do anything to destroy her but have found NOTHING.

the UK media are a special brand of awful.

Last edited:
Is there in legal recourse for this? I suppose it’s not quiet stalking and anyway it would be under the Mexican law if they broke any laws at all. But could Harry lodge a press complaint, as he has in the past with the Commission in the UK? I am not sure that extends to British press actions outside the UK.

It isn't the "UK media" being relentless - the Mail Online does not represent the UK media - in fact it doesn't even represent the Daily Mail (different company under different management, same parent company).

And get used to it - the MoL is relentless. Lots of royal fans have clicked on the Mailonline for years taking in the rubbish they write about - well everyone. Every click makes them money. Don't like it, don't click. There are other media owners out there.

Cepe, it is my understanding that it wasn’t only the Mail Online who was actively seeking out Mr Markle and anyone connected with Meghan. Certainly the Mail Online has the broadest base of resources and perhaps the most “zeal”. But several papers in the UK plus many american outlets are doing some very intense digging.

There are obviously many good eggs in the UK media. No one is saying there isn’t.

While I would really like all media to leave Meghan's family members and (former) friends alone, I don't see how trying to get inside information on Meghan's background has anything to do with racism or sexism. They would have done it in any case...

Is there in legal recourse for this? I suppose it’s not quiet stalking and anyway it would be under the Mexican law if they broke any laws at all. But could Harry lodge a press complaint, as he has in the past with the Commission in the UK? I am not sure that extends to British press actions outside the UK.
They won't prevent the stalking outside of UK, but they can certainly limit the publication of it in UK through complaints to IPSO.

Cepe, it is my understanding that it wasn’t only the Mail Online who was actively seeking out Mr Markle and anyone connected with Meghan. Certainly the Mail Online has the broadest base of resources and perhaps the most “zeal”. But several papers in the UK plus many american outlets are doing some very intense digging.

There are obviously many good eggs in the UK media. No one is saying there isn’t.

I think you’ll find that it is freelance reporters and photogs doing it knowing the market is there for it. None of this has been in the mainline media. My only caveat to that last statement is the Telegraph does occassionaly buy stories from MoL.

And I know you are genuine in your last comment , but DM and Uk media have been interchangeable on the Forums for a long time.

But it wont stop - this sort of rubbish will be written for ever, sadly.

While I would really like all media to leave Meghan's family members and (former) friends alone, I don't see how trying to get inside information on Meghan's background has anything to do with racism or sexism. They would have done it in any case...

It's not the trying to get inside information part that's doing it. It's the type of headlines they come up with. Vogue just published an interesting article on this situation. It seems that there is a bias in how man and woman are treated for similar actions and what type of actions would tend to be highlighted.

https://www.vogue.com/article/meghan-markle-misogynistic-public-shaming

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom