Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you, but that was kind of my point. She has achieved everything on her own.

Anyway I am going to be bowing out of these MM/Harry threads, probably until the wedding.

I can almost tell time by how long it is before one of their overly eager thin skinned fans takes umbrage at something that is posted, even if it's meant to be complimentary.

It never fails, and I have grown weary of stepping on eggshells in a thread dedicated to a couple that I was never more than mildly interested in to begin with. :sad::

BTW: Meghan and her mother have not always "lived in wealth". She lived in the Crenshaw district of Baldwin Hills for years...an area immortalized in the gritty "Menace 2 Society" film for anyone who is curious. I lived in Windsor Hills between 2001 and 2004 and it is indeed amazing.

My reference to a structured and nurturing cocoon had nothing to do with material wealth btw...zilch.

I hope you would stay to participate in the discussions. Your comments are always well thought out and positive.

I agree with you, but that was kind of my point. She has achieved everything on her own.

Not on her own (I would say) except in-so-far as we all have to take what we were given and run with it. :flowers:

My point was she was given a leg-up by her parents, in spades, and likely by her extended family and the influence of friends and teachers.

Anyway I am going to be bowing out of these MM/Harry threads, probably until the wedding. I can almost tell time by how long it is before one of their overly eager thin skinned fans takes umbrage at something that is posted, even if it's meant to be complimentary. It never fails, and I have grown weary of stepping on eggshells in a thread dedicated to a couple that I was never more than mildly interested in to begin with. :sad::

I cannot claim to understand what the issues are for you. :ermm: But if Harry and Meghan are not an interesting couple to you I could see there being issues with those who do find them interesting. A disjunct there, I would think. I know I stay clear of all threads that talk about royals who do not interest me. Never would occur to me to go on those threads to voice my disinterest. Just me. ;)

BTW: Meghan and her mother have not always "lived in wealth".

Nor did Kate Middleton, who you compared Meghan to. The Middletons' climb out of the lower Middle Class took some years to accomplish. However, just to be clear, Meghan never lived in poverty. Though both parents worked, they maintained a comfortable life-style. Meghan never was in want.

She lived in the Crenshaw district of Baldwin Hills for years...an area immortalized in the gritty "Menace 2 Society" film for anyone who is curious. I lived in Windsor Hills between 2001 and 2004 and it is indeed amazing.

Baldwin Hills and Windsor Hills are in hiccuping distance of each other, literally. Not sure what you are trying to suggest. I have no idea where Meghan and her mother lived in the locale of Baldwin Hills but Los Angeles neighborhoods are multi-layered, endlessly shifting, and one can make no assumptions. It's less 'where' than 'when'. :cool:

My reference to a structured and nurturing cocoon had nothing to do with material wealth btw...zilch.

Did I misunderstand? Maybe you were comparing Kate's family (mother/father, siblings, an intact family) with Meghan's natal family (only child of divorced parents, with a more expansive and complex extended family). Even in that instance I think the key is that Meghan was deeply loved and her parents, albeit divorced, gave her a solid and secure upbringing. She definitely matured into a woman who could forge her own life on her own terms. That strength and courage came from her upbringing (and that peculiarity of the American ideal that states that one can be and do whatever one wills). Kate, in the rigors of a class society, adhered more tightly to her natal home for 'safety' (which has garnered her untold criticism, as a result).

Anyway I am going to be bowing out of these MM/Harry threads, probably until the wedding.

I can almost tell time by how long it is before one of their overly eager thin skinned fans takes umbrage at something that is posted, even if it's meant to be complimentary.

It never fails, and I have grown weary of stepping on eggshells in a thread dedicated to a couple that I was never more than mildly interested in to begin with. :sad::

BTW: Meghan and her mother have not always "lived in wealth". She lived in the Crenshaw district of Baldwin Hills for years...an area immortalized in the gritty "Menace 2 Society" film for anyone who is curious. I lived in Windsor Hills between 2001 and 2004 and it is indeed amazing.

I definitely hope you stick around. You add much needed sides to the discussion. :flowers:

And your cocoon comment wasn't lost on all of us. Sorry that late coming into conversation due to work.

Certainly money can buy a lot, but a close family, a certain safety from the world, cushioning from the outside is not one of them always.

I apologise if this information has been posted before. Does Meghan have her own wealth? Is she a self made millionaire? What is her estimated net worth?

I apologise if this information has been posted before. Does Meghan have her own wealth? Is she a self made millionaire? What is her estimated net worth?

She did work on Suits for 7 years, had her blog Tig for 3 years and a contract with Reitman's. Added whatever ads etc she might have posted on her social media. I'd say she's quite wealthy, but have no idea exactly how wealthy.

ETA: A quick google search brought different answers, varying from between $5-7.5 million.

Last edited:
She did work on Suits for 7 years, had her blog Tig for 3 years and a contract with Reitman's. Added whatever ads etc she might have posted on her social media. I'd say she's quite wealthy, but have no idea exactly how wealthy.

ETA: A quick google search brought different answers, varying from between $5-7.5 million.

And so it begins...Mail Online published a series of “intimate family photos” of Megan’s family. There are several pics her family members that don’t even contain Meghan. They are normal photos, showing a very cute Meghan, but several do not contain Meghan and all are labeled with individual family members names. Clearly the press got to someone in the family, perhaps the person quoted, and offered something in return. These photos are from her mother’s side of the family, so I suspect that the Mail wanted to highlight her African American heritage. I suspect that the Mail was happy to showcase Meghan’s black family, in order to encourage racists out of the woodwork and into public discourse. Meghan would be well advised to have a quiet word with her cousins and dissuade them from becoming tabloid fodder.

They would be paid for them
if Meghan wanted them out there she would have released them
So that’s both sides of the family running to the media but at lest these family members say nice things

I'm still waiting for the Fail to print the photograph of Meghan sitting with a friend with Buck House in the background and spew out the garbage that she's had designs on the royal family even way back then. Everything since that photo has been geared to "snag" Harry. That would be typical Daily Fail. :D

Meghan has shared pics of herself with her mother, father, even her maternal grandfather...the latter which she shared personal stories of on her blog. So I doubt she is fuming over these pics being released. It was certainly in bad taste for this family member to sell them, particularly to such a trashy tabloid but they are pretty harmless. In fact, I would say they are much nicer than the ones we saw from the other side of her family.

Last edited:
There is no need to do anything. There is a frenzy going on right now. Soon enough it'll be old news. If the Fail wants to waste their money, let me.

My first thought was that since nobody from that that side of the family had spoken to the press before he was given the go ahead in order to counteract the ugly narrative and photo dump that the horrid so called ex best friend put out there. But then I also suppose if she wanted them out there they would have gone to a more reputable paper. So I dont know. Maybe he went rogue himself wanting to counteract the narrative.

Last edited:
My first thought was that since nobody from that that side of the family had spoken to the press before he was given the go ahead in order to counteract the ugly narrative and photo dump that the horrid so called ex best friend put out there. But then I also suppose if she wanted them out there they would have gone to a more reputable paper. So I dont know. Maybe he went rogue himself wanting to counteract the narrative.

I don't think counteracting has anything to do with it. I think they just finally found more people and upped the price. It's interesting all these people openly admit to having no contact with her though.

Who are they apart from her mother ? Any that could be in the wedding party ?

The people who have sold their photos must have taken care to keep the photos in good condition

Umm, yeah. Plenty haven't talked. A few people talking to the tabloids isn't tantamount to everyone blabbing.

Just that it’s both sides of the families and old friend. I guess her friends she made since Suits haven’t spoken or have I missed that

Last edited by a moderator:
Just that it’s both sides of the families and old friend. I guess her friends she made since Suits haven’t spoken or have I missed that

That’s not true. Her friend, Benita Litt, who has known her since before Suits, hasn’t said anything. Meghan is godmother to her daughters. Lindsay Jill Roth, who is her best friend from Northwestern time, was asked while she was doing press for her book, but she made generally nice marks about Meghan being a good person and can handle herself well in any situation. Nothing private was really exposed.

While Samantha has been chatty, her daughter and son have not said anything and it’s not because they can’t find her. Camilla Tominey did a whole article about her niece being a real life lawyer. Even mentioning the firm she works for. So we can rest assure she’s been contacted.

Last edited:

And that amounts to a handful of people. There are many more who have stayed quiet, including other family and friends she's met in recent years.

I'd say the priority would be for Harry to finally meet his future father-in-law!

Any possibility that Meghan’s parents will be invited for Christmas at Sandringham to get to know Harry’s family?

Any possibility that Meghan’s parents will be invited for Christmas at Sandringham to get to know Harry’s family?

Maybe. I wouldn't be shocked.

I'd say the priority would be for Harry to finally meet his future father-in-law!

That may very well happen in the new year. There are still 5 months before the wedding.

No. Christmas is time for the queen's own family.
She invites guests (relatives, friends) to stay at Sandringham in January.

While the Queen is still at Sandringham-maybe, for Christmas-I doubt it.

I don't know if this has been posted here anywhere. [-]It seems as if Meghan's mother's side of the family has been given the go ahead to release family pictures and talk to the media.[/-] Strike that, since I discovered the source is DF and thus money is involved. Apparently, with the M&H engagement announcement, Meghan's uncle via marriage to her mother's sister, decided to cash in. Since I didn't see the 20/20 tv report in the U.S. on Friday, I don't know if some of these pictures were included in that broadcast. It is cool seeing so many young pictures of Meghan growing up with her African-American cousins, aunt & uncle. Particularly nice is the family portrait with her grandfather Alvin holding her, and with her mother, aunt, maternal grandmother, and her half-brother Thomas Markle Jr., also in the picture. Maybe the picture was taken by her father since he's not in it. The title of the video should be "Meet the Ragland/Johnson side of Meghan's Family" :D
The reference to 'Netty growing up in poverty in Cleveland, OH' is interesting, but that's Meghan's great-grandmother, likely someone she never met. Meghan's mother's family (the Raglands) eventually relocated to California, and Meghan grew up in a working class/middle class family. She herself did not lack for anything growing up. Meghan's parents ensured that she had the best education, and they certainly nurtured her and grounded her in family values and set the example of caring for other people.

ETA:
From the Daily Fail, who apparently spoke to Meghan's Uncle Joseph last night. Hmmm, her Uncle Joseph used to be married to her mother's sister, Saundra, but currently he's married to Pamela Johnson. Likely, he's no longer close to Meghan.
Meghan Markle's family share intimate private photo album | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been posted here anywhere. It seems as if Meghan's mother's side of the family has been given the go ahead to release family pictures and talk to the media. Or else with the M&H engagement announcement, her uncle via marriage to her mother's sister, decided to speak out.

I wouldn't claim Meghan's family was given a go ahead to talk to the press based on her aunts ex husband selling a story and pictures to a tabloid.

I would guess he's not close to Meghan and knows he won't be in her life/get a wedding invite and decided to cash in.

Apparently the Fail is shelling out 6 figures for stories and pics of Meghan. Disgusting.

"So-called friends of Meghan Markle share photos and stories of the woman betrothed to prince Harry — and pick up six-figure cheques from the Daily Mail"

Last edited:
I notice everyone says 'with her mom' but I am sure she would also like to see her dad as well. And she has friends and godchildren to see that from social media we know she sees at the holidays too.

Not for Christmas but possibly after. I could actually see perhaps an invite by Charles for them to come to Scotland. He and Camilla head up to their home for New Years up there. I could see Charles perhaps inviting Harry and Meghan, with her parents, to spend some days up there.

I wouldn't claim Meghan's family was given a go ahead to talk to the press based on an ex husband of her aunts selling a story and pictures to a tabloid.

I would guess he's not close to Meghan and knows he won't be in her life/get a wedding invite and decided to cash in.

Apparently the Fail is shelling out 6 figures for stories and pics of Meghan. Disgusting.

"So-called friends of Meghan Markle share photos and stories of the woman betrothed to prince Harry — and pick up six-figure cheques from the Daily Mail http://thetim.es/2kjc0jW "

Right, that's why I went back to edit my post when I realized the source is DF, which means money exchanged hands. I guess the uncle (who is not directly related by blood) was just waiting till the engagement was announced before cashing in with all these pictures. I'm sure he knows he's got no chance to be invited to the wedding. He's no longer married to Meghan's maternal Aunt Saundra. It's still nice to see this variety of family pictures. And let's face it, the Meghan Markle merchandising is in full swing. Check out the number of Meghan Markle hype products on Amazon. I wouldn't waste money on those quickie bios and lifesize cardboard likenesses! The two Hallmark movies Meghan made are worth having as souvenirs. Also, a Bradford plate has just been released in honor of the engagement (and capital gain). ;)
https://www.bradford.co.uk/harryengagementplate.html

Doll magazine is already weighing in on the anticipation of Meghan and Harry dolls arriving after the wedding, if not sooner:
Meghan Mania: Which doll will be first in the new Royal Wedding race?

And re Ms. Priddy. SMH! Sad when you feel you have to stoop to the level of cashing in on a former friend's fame. Apparently, when Meghan moved to Toronto, her life moved on in a different direction on many levels. We all know that it's easy to lose touch with people we knew at earlier times in our lives. That part's not a big deal. But to have some of those former friends cashing in and telling false tales is something else entirely.

Last edited:
Woodwook squeaks and out come the freaks. It's sad that some of Meghan's family and "friends" are cashing in. It explains the DM bash story from the maid of (dis)honor claiming Meghan's ex husband was the wronged party in the divorce. I'm guessing Meghan was vetted by BP staff and UK security agencies so the queen could give consent. (I expect a vetting process was done for Kate because she is going to be queen.).

Woodwook squeaks and out come the freaks. It's sad that some of Meghan's family and "friends" are cashing in. It explains the DM bash story from the maid of (dis)honor claiming Meghan's ex husband was the wronged party in the divorce. I'm guessing Meghan was vetted by BP staff and UK security agencies so the queen could give consent. (I expect a vetting process was done for Kate because she is going to be queen.).

I really don't think having chatty family members would disqualify. It's an annoyance, but hardly anything scandalous. Now if there are past illegal activities, that'd be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom