Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's probably no problem with the Meghan news commentary in your country Zaira because you don't have to put up with tabloids pointing offensively to dreadlocks and 'straight outa Compton' and 'exotic blood' about which Harry was so annoyed.
However, it's heartwarming to read, as I did the other day, that Nigerians and other Commonwealth citizens from African nations are now taking a keen interest in this romance.

Sorry, I had deleted my post because on my phone it looked like a recent discussion was on the racial commentary, but it was actually a few pages ago so my post wasn't germane.

But as I believe you and I have discussed, I have seen plenty of racist commentary in the media. My point was that the media is of course going to talk about race and that in and of itself isn't a bad thing. But often times they have shown themselves to be rather casually racists by the content of their commentary. I have seen some great and thoughtful articles and think pieces and panels about Meghan and her background and some awful ones. I think that was my point. :flowers:

I just hope he can handle the attention because the British tabloids won’t leave him alone. Some people can and others can’t. Meghan’s mom seems comfortable so far but I don’t much about this guy.

His days of being ‘anonymous’ in Mexico are over though.

I wouldn’t say her mom is comfortable. She’s had to make adjustments and based on Harry’s statement last year, isn’t entirely comfortable with the intrusion. The fact that she took the day off from work, she had security posted outside of her home the day the engagement was announced, and the security had a statement on hand asking for privacy on KP stationary ready to hand out to the media tells me that they were just better prepared for it this time. But I don’t think they expected her dad to be found. He’s also in a different situation because he’s living in a country where safety is more of a concern.

I just hope he can handle the attention because the British tabloids won’t leave him alone. Some people can and others can’t. Meghan’s mom seems comfortable so far but I don’t much about this guy.

His days of being ‘anonymous’ in Mexico are over though.

I was thinking the same thing, there goes anonymity out the window. One would hope media etc. would be respectful but that’s a big wish. Her dad appears a quiet thoughtful man. He probably never dreamed he’d be in this position. Meghan’s mum seemed to have protection from the palace but I could be wrong. Just hope for the best.

Why in the hell is the media chasing Meghan’s father up and down the place? Everyone will see the man walking his daughter down the aisle come May.

One reason and one reason alone. Scoops mean a lot of green dollars in the pocket. :D

In a way we want all this Whats her father like? What’s her school friends like ? what about her friends from work ? A lot is natural it’s how we find out what people are like. She would have known what was coming and spoke to her friends and family to prepare them.

In a way we want all this Whats her father like? What’s her school friends like ? what about her friends from work ? A lot is natural it’s how we find out what people are like. She would have known what was coming and spoke to her friends and family to prepare them.

Actually some of us would rather not if it means these people get stalked like this. It’s one thing to know what her dad did for a living, it’s another to follow him around doing mundane things and publishing where he lives and pictures of his home. And do I really care what her school friends are like? Not really. I might peak at Jessica Mulroney’s public Instagram once in awhile, but I couldn’t careless if they aren’t friends anymore. What she is like is judged by her behavior now, not by stalking her family or friends when she’s not even around.

And actually some of the bloggers I follow that has followed royals for a number of years has said this is pretty bad even by royal stalking standards. Part of it is because she’s so different than what was expected for Harry’s wife. Some of it has to do with advancement in technology (blogs, twitter, Facebook, etc.). And part of that, unfortunately, is because of her race.

Last edited:

I’m sure she had a feel for what’s coming but for her parents to be hounded is a little different in my opinion. They are private people who don’t need to be harassed and followed every waking minute. I understand media wants a picture but at times they are relentless.

I feel for her family but it’s the way it’s going to be for a while. As I said if we the public didn’t want to know everything they wouldn’t be chasing him for the front page to think it won’t happen is like believing in the fairytales
We can cry how wrong it is but we are just wasting our time. It will die down after the wedding

I feel for her family but it’s the way it’s going to be for a while. As I said if we the public didn’t want to know everything they wouldn’t be chasing him for the front page to think it won’t happen is like believing in the fairytales
We can cry how wrong it is but we are just wasting our time. It will die down after the wedding

I don’t think people believed they wouldn’t go after her loved ones. But it doesn’t make it right and people don’t have to be complicit. I think condemnation in this regard is warranted.

Aren’t you thinking of Kate’s family and what they have put up with for years? And continue to put up with . How many paps hound pippa every day? The nasty comments about Kate’s mother who has never put a foot wrong. It is forever. Plus, they dangle money in front of all of the friends and relatives for stories, we have only seen the beginning, this is big money.

It doesn’t make it right but every royal bride and her her family goes through it.

Doesn’t make it right but it is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is though that Meghan is American and an actress. That has led to direct interest from the media and online on both sides of the Atlantic, including negative stuff. So there is a different component to this romance.

By the way, there are rumours around that Harry may have gone away until the 12th (his next engagement.) Wonder whether he'll resurface in LA.

Last edited:
Harry didn’t attend the board meeting of the Royal Foundation today so he’s probably in America

Aren’t you thinking of Kate’s family and what they have put up with for years? And continue to put up with . How many paps hound pippa every day? The nasty comments about Kate’s mother who has never put a foot wrong. It is forever. Plus, they dangle money in front of all of the friends and relatives for stories, we have only seen the beginning, this is big money.

I don’t follow kate closely. I don’t think her family should be fair game either. However, when your picture is taken at a charity benefit concert is different than when they stalk you at your home constantly and have where you live published. And this isn’t a competition between kate and Meghan. I’m not talking about Kate in this specific instance. Like I said, I don’t care enough to follow her. I expect you guys would have problems with her family being stalked and I wouldn’t come and tell you that it is what it is like you are doing right now.

Harry didn’t attend the board meeting of the Royal Foundation today so he’s probably in America

Does he usually attend all of them?

Call it a right of passage then. Diana, Sophie, Camilla, Catherine and now Meghan.

She isn’t special in this sense. You’re tilting at windmills trying to shield Meghan and her family from criticism.

Call it a right of passage then. Diana, Sophie, Camilla, Catherine and now Meghan.

She isn’t special in this sense. You’re tilting at windmills trying to shield Meghan and her family from criticism.

Things have definitely changed since Diana’s death, and it’s a good thing. I understand certain things happen and have been happening. But do people have to be complicit? Or do we have to justify it? And comments like that is justifying it.

What criticism? It's an interesting choice of word to use, as if Meghan and her family have done something wrong.

As for Meghan's father being hunted down in his private, quiet location in Mexico, his address published by tabloids, and his everyday activities followed like he's a person of interest. He's not. It's wrong, and nothing is ever going to change, if it's faced with only 'hmm, that's what's always happened, it's never going to change.' attitude. It'll change when the readers demand change. I honestly don't think anyone is really interested in knowing what Meghan's retired father does in his quiet little town every day. He's not doing anything illegal, he doesn't deserve to be hounded like this. This is not some big news, the paps hunting him down haven't done some great investigative reporting.

Meghan Markle: Family and Background

For everyone of us here that think it’s wrong millions of others that aren’t on the RF want to know. Trying to change it isn’t going to happen.
After the wedding her father and mother will go back to their normal life if it is a boring common place life they lead

Last edited:
Do millions of people really want to know where Meghan's 73 year old retired father lives, or what he does in his everyday life? I really doubt it.

And now people know, he's been followed for days, he even said, that he's delighted to welcome Prince Harry to the family, and would love to walk Meghan down the aisle. What more is there left to know? Now he can be left alone.

For everyone of us here that think it’s wrong millions of others that aren’t on the RF want to know. Trying to change it isn’t going to happen.

Still doesn’t mean we should go around justifying vile behavior, now does it?

Do millions of people really want to know where Meghan's 73 year old retired father lives, or what he does in his everyday life? I really doubt it.

And now people know, he's been followed for days, he even said, that he's delighted to welcome Prince Harry to the family, and would love to walk Meghan down the aisle. What more is there left to know? Now he can be left alone.

It sells papers or they wouldn’t do it. I think he will be left now

[...]

There is a public craving for this information, no matter how ugly that is. Meghan is selling huge amounts for the media.[...] Meghan has lived an extremely full life before she met Harry. Much more to dig into with her IMO.

Even a man who simply wants to be left alone in Mexico isn't reallt going to be able to because the media can use Facebook and Twitter to crowdsource leads and tips, etc.

Also, did Meghan's dad walk her down the aisle or attend her first wedding? We know her mom did. But I have never really seen her dad mentioned as being there.

It sells papers or they wouldn’t do it. I think he will be left now

Sells newspapers? Not really. Gets clicks on the internet by bored people who are looking for gossip? Yes. And in the days of 'internet media' clicks are money (more clicks more advertising dollars).

Also, did Meghan's dad walk her down the aisle or attend her first wedding? We know her mom did. But I have never really seen her dad mentioned as being there.

People on social media have asked this question and it seems the answer is no he didn’t.

Meghan Markle: Family and Background

Sells newspapers? Not really. Gets clicks on the internet by bored people who are looking for gossip? Yes. And in the days of 'internet media' clicks are money (more clicks more advertising dollars).

Exactly either way it’s all about money [emoji383]not so sure it’s only bored people

Last edited:
I think Meghan’s ‘story’ plays much more in the American media for obvious reasons.

It’s the whole ‘American princess’ thing plus the biracial angle so those things do bring a new element to the coverage.

Best of luck to Meghan and her family. I hope they’re able to handle their new found fame.

I think Meghan’s ‘story’ plays much more in the American media for obvious reasons.

It’s the whole ‘American princess’ thing plus the biracial angle so those things do bring a new element to the coverage.

Best of luck to Meghan and her family. I hope they’re able to handle their new found fame.

Well, I’d get drunk and celebrate too if I got a day off for free and don’t have to work tomorrow. :lol: Otherwise, what’s the point? Anyways, Meghan had a really good week announcing the engagement and having her first walkabout and engagements. Hopefully she’s with her mom spending quality time in a place with decent air quality at the moment. Looking forward to photos of her in U.K. before year end, and hopefully we’ll get more in the new year and before the wedding.

People on social media have asked this question and it seems the answer is no he didn’t.

Eh, I wouldn’t be shocked if he just came to the ceremony. Her father doesn’t strike me as the type that would participate in the pre wedding games they had or too much of the reception party. I don’t think we’ve gotten pictures of the actual ceremony or her walking down the aisle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom