Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also looking at two totally different kinds of pictures here. Tom did consent to staging a few photographs, and if I'm not mistaken, they were taken a while back ago. These were consensual photos and a contract between Tom Sr. and the photographer was reached. The photos were innocuous and showed a proud father getting prepared for his daughter's wedding. To me, its a photo op and all of the BRF know the importance of photo ops and I don't think these photos are really anything that Tom did to discredit his daughter or to betray her trust or anyone's trust for that matter.

Then, on the other flip side of the photo album, we have the intrusive pictures of Tom being followed crossing the Mexico/US border, the "cheap" motel (actually a well reputed chain rather than a no tell motel) he checked into and photos of each and every item he purchased at a 7-11 right down to letting the world know he uses Gas-X. These are the types of photos that make the demand for privacy have substance. Not the ones that Tom Sr. agreed to.

The demand for privacy stands to be valid. Its the intrusion into someone's life that is not warranted that is the issue. Not the posing. Not the money. The intrusion where one has their privacy invaded without their permission is the prime issue here.

I see where you are coming from and I really really really wish I could agree 100% - it's just that Tom Sr didn't need to do any kind of photo op. Yes - the attention was just on him and the pictures were completely innocuous but ... I dunno.

I wonder if his blonde friend talked him in to doing it.

Either way I feel badly for Meghan and disappointed in Tom Sr. Looks like the Markle side of the family is problematic. Maybe Harry knew what he was talking about when he said now Meghan has the family she never had.

Thank God for Doria and the Raglands (minus the ex-half-brother in law).

I really don't see that there is something nefarious about these pictures or receiving payment for posing for them. For all we know, Harry and Meghan may decide to have copies of them to put in their own personal photo album from their wedding. I had a pre-wedding photo take with my dog that I still cherish. Tom Sr. did not dishonor his daughter in my eyes. He posed for pictures preparing for his daughter's wedding and all it does is make him come across as the proud papa. :D

He wasn't preparing for his daughter's wedding, he only pretended to be (having a student working in a party shop measure you up for 15 dollar is pretty obvious as is visiting an internet cafe that you don't frequent to view pictures that were released months ago and of which he hopefully has real copies) so pictures could be taken.

Not sure how any of this can be seen as honest or no character flaw. Unfortunately, he is not trustworthy. Will be an interesting week with unnecessary tensions that I'm sure Meghan and Harry would have gladly done without.

But the ‘consensual’ photos of Meghan’s dad we’re never presented as such. There was no indication that he was cooperating with the paparazzi. He no doubt received a few coins for the pics. Paparazzi are a definite no-no within KP.

The thing is it’s a slippery slope. Play ball with paparazzi one day and the next you’re selling stories to a tabloid. To me there’s no moral difference between what Meghan’s siblings are doing and her dad.

Did he co-operate with "paparazzi" or a photographer who presented credentials from a newspaper?

And there is a huge difference between these photos and what Meghan's half siblings have done.

But the ‘consensual’ photos of Meghan’s dad we’re never presented as such. There was no indication that he was cooperating with the paparazzi. He no doubt received a few coins for the pics. Paparazzi are a definite no-no within KP.

The thing is it’s a slippery slope. Play ball with paparazzi one day and the next you’re selling stories to a tabloid. To me there’s no moral difference between what Meghan’s siblings are doing and her dad.

Woah - I'd say there is a definite difference. I agree that what Tom Sr did was in poor taste, but he didn't attack Meghan or bash her or even anyone else. He just took some pictures to fit a "Tom Sr prepares for his daughter's wedding" narrative. That's a huge difference from how his two adult kids have acted.

Even though I'm disappointed in what Tom Sr did - it pales in comparison to how his daughter Samantha and son Tom Jr have done. It pales. Morally the two couldn't be further apart. Tom Sr may have done that for money or to get paps off his back. Maybe he got duped by the paps who convinced him that this would give them the story and they'd leave him alone. But Tom and Samantha have done nothing but talk about Meghan. They've trashed her, profited off of her and tried their best to destroy her relationship with Harry and the BRF. They've even tried to get her wedding cancelled.

Let's be fair.

Actually that would probably hurt Meghan, who clearly wants her father there. He's walking her down the aisle.

We don't know why she wants her father to walk her down the isle. It would surely reflect bad on her if she hadn't asked him. Contrary to custom she wanted her mom to take her to the castle/church instead of her father... that speaks volumes about her relationship with her mom and might be related to her relationship with her father as well.

In general, I think almost any bride or groom would want both parents present at their wedding but she has to swallow a lot of pride after this public betrayal.

Last edited:
Did he co-operate with "paparazzi" or a photographer who presented credentials from a newspaper?

And there is a huge difference between these photos and what Meghan's half siblings have done.

A paparazzi or a photographer from a newspaper? I think we’re splitting hairs. At least as far as this discussion goes.

Look I realise there are people who want to excuse everything ‘Markle’ to square with their own beliefs but in this case Meghan’s dad has been caught red handed.

Trying to make excuses only makes it look more shady.

We don't know why she wants her father to walk her down the isle. It would surely reflect bad on her if she hadn't asked him. Contrary to custom she wanted her mom to take her to the castle/church instead of her father... that speaks volumes about her relationship with her mom and might be related to her relationship with her father as well.

In general, I think almost any bride or groom would want both parents present at their wedding but she has to swallow a lot of pride after this betrayal.

To clarify - Meghan is having her mom in the car with her only from the lodgings to the castle. Then she's going alone to the church after that - and it's still going to be some distance to go from there (partially along the long walk).

I think the main reason is because Tom Sr has bad knees or a limp or something. Those stairs might be super hard for him. I also think that Meghan wants her mom to have a place of honor with her on the day of. She's clearly closer to her mother than her father. I think of how Meghan has set things up with her mom to be her kinda making her mom an unofficial matron of honor.

But maybe there is something about her relationship with her dad as well. Hard to say.

To clarify - Meghan is having her mom in the car with her only from the lodgings to the castle. Then she's going alone to the church after that - and it's still going to be some distance to go from there (partially along the long walk).

I think the main reason is because Tom Sr has bad knees or a limp or something. Those stairs might be super hard for him. I also think that Meghan wants her mom to have a place of honor with her on the day of. She's clearly closer to her mother than her father. I think of how Meghan has set things up with her mom to be her kinda making her mom an unofficial matron of honor.

But maybe there is something about her relationship with her dad as well. Hard to say.

A few months ago, the media outlets reported that Meghan wanted her mother to walk her down the aisle.

A paparazzi or a photographer from a newspaper? I think we’re splitting hairs. At least as far as this discussion goes.

Look I realise there are people who want to excuse everything ‘Markle’ to square with their own beliefs but in this case Meghan’s dad has been caught red handed.

A photographer for a newspaper can seem more reputable than a paparazzi. That may not be true but perceptions are everything.

You really think there are people here excusing "everything Markle"? Really???
I don't think anyone is excusing Samantha or Tom Jr.

And some people just look for things to criticize Meghan and anyone associated with her, and are happy to believe the worst.

That's really not what's happening here though. I think people are trying to understand what might have happened because many of us aren't so willing to accept your characterization of Tom Sr.. Now, the half-siblings? Yeah - I agree about them. But Tom Sr? I'm not ready to paint him with the same brush. He has to get as low as Sam and Tom Jr for that.

I'm willing to look at other reasons here too - what if he foolishly thought this was innocuous? He probably knows little of the BRF's tumultuous relationship with the tabloids - maybe he thought this was legitimate - like he was posing for a magazine spread?

I cannot imagine him doing this with full knowledge and understanding of how badly it would play. What if he thought he was doing a feature for a magazine or newspaper vs tabloids?

I wouldn't put it past the press to set this up just so they could later break the story that it was "fake" to cause drama ahead of the wedding.

All the more reason why it's best to avoid the tabs completely - but Tom Sr likely wouldn't know that.

Well - maybe it looks more shady to those who are already compromised by a heavy confirmation bias. ;)

I'm not excusing Markles but I would agree saying he the same as Jnr and Samantha who have openly bashed Meghan consistently is a stretch. I think this photo op was in poor taste and he probably realizes now how damaging it was but he far from the likes of his older children. Get back to me when he actually speaks.

A few months ago, the media outlets reported that Meghan wanted her mother to walk her down the aisle.

And other media reported since the beginning that her father would walk her down the aisle.

A photographer for a newspaper can seem more reputable than a paparazzi. That may not be true but perceptions are everything.

Let's pull on this thread a little - what if this tabloid guy who was with Tom Sr presented this like it was going to be a feature story in the newspaper or a magazine? Like an interview kind of thing?

What if he convinced Tom Sr that this was for a magazine spread? And the "staged pics" were done because that's what you do for magazine spreads?

And then the tabloid guy just sold them to the tabloids and then later "leaked" that it was "staged"?

I think that's a plausible theory - just as much as the ones that Tom Sr is the root of all evil and just like Sam/Tom Jr.

So after 18 months of Meghan dating Harry, Thomas Snr is just a babe in the woods and doesn’t know up from down. He’s only been in Hollywood his entire adult life.

People here can make excuses but I doubt Meghan is making excuses for him.

He’s a big boy, he knows what he’s doing and so does the British press.

Let's pull on this thread a little - what if this tabloid guy who was with Tom Sr presented this like it was going to be a feature story in the newspaper or a magazine? Like an interview kind of thing?

What if he convinced Tom Sr that this was for a magazine spread? And the "staged pics" were done because that's what you do for magazine spreads?

And then the tabloid guy just sold them to the tabloids and then later "leaked" that it was "staged"?

I think that's a plausible theory - just as much as the ones that Tom Sr is the root of all evil and just like Sam/Tom Jr.

Tom sr should have talked to KP if that was the case, IMO. They would have alerted him right away to the issues with this.

So after 18 months of Meghan dating Harry, Thomas Snr is just a babe in the woods and doesn’t know up from down. He’s only been in Hollywood his entire adult life.

Well honestly I don't know much about Tom Sr enough to make judgments on his character.

On its face, this does look bad and it does make Tom Sr look like he has judgment issues.

But he's also been a recluse during the whole "tabloid" explosion that happened in the US. And even then - the tabloids here aren't like they are in the UK. They just aren't. So there is a possibility that he doesn't know.

And IF someone approached him and lied about who and what he was and led Tom Sr to believe he was doing a spread for a magazine rather than the person just saying that so he could get pictures to sell to the tabloids, then I could see how he could be fooled by that.

He doesn't have to be a babe in the woods to be fooled. He just has to believe someone else lying - which we all know the tabloids and paparazzi do.

Tom sr should have talked to KP if that was the case, IMO. They would have alerted him right away to the issues with this.

I know - he should have definitely talked to them. Was he informed of that though?

I would think he would have been warned not to talk to any press or to get their approval first...

I guess either way this just shows he has poor judgment.

Last edited by a moderator:
What excuse? I just don't agree with your assessment that Tom Sr is of the same behavior level of Samantha. One who trashes Meghan on a daily basis like her life depends on it vs a dad who took some ridiculous pictures. Doesn't change his actions. It is what it is.

You know, people that don't follow the BRF wouldn't necessarily know there might be issues. I'm sure Meghan's dad has seen plenty of photos of the Queen or Harry in magazines and newspapers.

Whatever Tom did or didn't do, for whatever reason, Meghan, who has behaved impeccably since her engagement and before, is in no way responsible for his behaviour. When Tom gets to England then I think he, Harry and Meghan are going to have to have a serious talk.

And he was a lighting director, not an actor, agent or publicist. Plus, actors do magazine articles and photos for magazine articles all the time. It could be he thought it was for an article like in People magazine.

Eugenie did an article and photos for Harper's Bazaar. Kate posed for photos for Vogue. If he was shown stuff like that he might have thought it was acceptable to pose for photos.

Last edited:

I don't think Thomas is that naive about Hollywood (he worked here for years). He would know that any legit newspapers/magazines would contact him first and then set up a photoshoot. They wouldn't send some random pap to take his photos.

I feel for Meghan. Although this is nothing like what her siblings have done to her, it is a betrayal and it has to hurt a little knowing that she went to bat for him and asked the media to respect his privacy, only to find out he was staging photos.

Tom Sr drove all the way to Doria's house to leave flowers and a card. She looked confused and a bit annoyed in the pictures. I don't think he means any harm but I agree that once all together a serious talk will definitely be had.

Tom Sr drove all the way to Doria's house to leave flowers and a card. She looked confused and a bit annoyed in the pictures. I don't think he means any harm but I agree that once all together a serious talk will definitely be had.

Those pics make me think this wasn't a one off...

Maybe Tom Sr. should just sit in the audience instead of walking her down the aisle. This reminds me of Jackie Kennedy's marriage to John Kennedy. Her father was too drunk to walk her down the aisle.

I don't think Thomas is that naive about Hollywood (he worked here for years). He would know that any legit newspapers/magazines would contact him first and then set up a photoshoot. They wouldn't send some random pap to take his photos.

I'm suggesting that perhaps the pap LIED to him about who they were and what they were doing. I'm suggesting that is a possibility - we know how ruthless the paps can be.

Still extremely poor judgment.

And if this is as it appears and Tom Sr knowingly did this - then that's awful.

I feel for Meghan. Although this is nothing like what her siblings have done to her, it is a betrayal and it has to hurt a little knowing that she went to bat for him and asked the media to respect his privacy, only to find out he was staging photos.

I agree with you there. I think we all agree that this sucks for Meghan.

Those pics make me think this wasn't a one off...

He was telling a story with the photos and again The Sun was the paper that broke the story which makes me think they where all working together. The latest story was about his house falling into the ocean. In Morton's book the brother mentions that Tom Sr. will get a settlement.

I think in the future he needs to be put in some retirement home with a lump sum and an NDA.

Let’s get the facts straight here. DM’s report estimated that the paparazzi made £100,000, and they don’t know if Tom Sr received anything as they clearly stated. So for those that are screaming he made £100k here, let’s stick to the facts and not get the carriage ahead of the horse.

Now onto this matter of Tom Sr. participating in this. I think it showed extremely poor judgement. I wholeheartedly agree with Robert Jobson’s analysis on the matter. What we do know is that Tom Sr has not said much to the media about his daughter that’s not generic. And he has certainly not even shared details about his daughter or her wedding with even relatives as all of them stated he wasn’t invited. And I don’t believe all this meghan was coerced into having her father walk her down the aisle for several reasons. If she didn’t plan for her father to be part of the wedding, the announcement on the engagement would’ve simply been from her mother. Not both of her parents. No one will ask one of their parents to release a statement if they weren’t going to be invited to the wedding. Then there is the fact that Harry asked both of her parents for blessing rather than just Doria. I believe at this point, Harry is fully aware of the less than close relationship between Meghan and some relatives. And while Harry hasn’t met Tom Sr., he has spoken to him multiple times. As for Tom Sr., it’s clear that he’s had to walk a fine line here. And let’s not start the tabloid was reporting this and that. Clearly, BP nor KP is willing or able to force Meghan into inviting people she doesn’t want to as her Markle relatives are just simply not invited. That shows me that the Palace is letting Meghan make the decision regarding her own family.

Looking back to the situation since the engagement has been announced, the way it’s been handled is odd and I think it has to do with her father being able to fly under the radar until one of Meghan’s uncle and Tom Jr sold his location. They clearly were very prepared when it came to Doria and expected the press would show up on her doorstep as they’ve done before. Doria made plans ahead of time to be off from work, and they hired private security that had a letter from KP ready to hand to photographers. However, Tom wasn’t discovered until days later and the world media descended on a small town in Mexico. He wasn’t prepared for that, nor was Meghan or Harry or KP. I think they just figured the interest will burn out in a few days and everyone will move on to Just Meghan and Harry. And they probably told Tom to just ignore them and they will go away. But they obviously didn’t. And I’m trying to think from Tom Sr.’s perspective. If I’m being told by Meghan and KP that the interest will die down and they’ll go away if I don’t say anything, but it doesn’t happen after a few months. And I’ve got this other person on the other side that’s been pestering me for months and now tells me he’ll leave me alone if I pose for a few photos. Who would I believe? And clearly, he was left alone since March until recently when the announcement about him walking Meghan down the aisle came. And if I do think Tom has been the bigger story than Doria for the simple fact that there has been no question about if Doria will be at the wedding. The original story questioning Tom Sr.’s role started about if he would walk her down the aisle due to his reclusiveness and then it just snowballed from there.

Ultimately, the person this hurts the most is Meghan and it happens less than a week before the wedding. And ultimately she’s the one that’s hurt by this the most. As someone that has been a fan of hers from the first season of Suits, this breaks my heart for her. She has done nothing but behave impeccably in representing the BRF. But any sign of mistake would erase a lot of good work and effort. While people will say this isn’t her fault, but I imagine there will be a large portion of the public and UK press that will hold this against her for years to come. After the wedding, people will care about Tom Sr less and less as long as he doesn’t pull this again. However, Meghan will have to face the public and the press as a member of the BRF. This is the price. And I’m sure this is painful for her personally as well. It’s one thing when it’s Tom Jr and Samantha pulling their latest stunts. This has to be gut wrenching after she probably has been concerned for her father’s privacy. As for the wedding, I still think he’ll walk her down the aisle. You don’t bring family discord into the public. Whatever needs to be worked out needs to be done privately at this point. One bad offense isn’t going to erase what her father has meant to her and done for her over the years as she was growing up. This hurts, but everything passes.

I agree with those that said they will have to question if they can trust Tom from now on. I don’t necessarily agree that it would be if he’d sell stories about Meghan, but what I’ve learned about trust as in adulthood is that it’s ultimately if you can trust someone’s judgement. And that is a concern. He obviously made a very bad judgement here. But I’d heisitate to talk about any bad intention simply because he has shown he isn’t willing to go to the bat for Meghan when it comes to his relatives by telling them absolutely nothing. It’s tricky to navigate. My hope is that Tom Sr and Meghan would sit down and have a candid conversation about this and Tom learns that he needs to trust his daughter and what she tells him when it comes to dealing with the press. It might be hard and he’s just going to have to hang on tight. While this is unfortunate, I’d say this is a far cry from the stunts his older children has pulled. While he exercised barn judgement, they are just vindictive in going after Meghan.

I would also caution people that the paparazzi situation in US is very different from UK. The press gets a lot more leeway here in terms taking photos of well known people in their off time. The tabloids just aren’t as vicious here. And I can’t imagine the laws are tougher in Mexico.

As for those that says the Queen should change any plans regarding allowing Tom Sr to be at Windsor Castle. I’m just going to laugh this off. If HMQ can still receive Fergie aftershock was caught flatout selling access to a member of BRF, she’ll be ok when it comes to Tom Markle.

Last edited:
Maybe Tom Sr. should just sit in the audience instead of walking her down the aisle. This reminds me of Jackie Kennedy's marriage to John Kennedy. Her father was too drunk to walk her down the aisle.

Wouldn't that just call more attention to this? I mean - right now, this is just in the DM and a couple of other places. Most news outlets on the day of the wedding probably won't even speak of it. They'll consider it trash news.

But if suddenly Tom Sr is NOT walking Meghan down the aisle, it will force them to talk about why. That is what will call attention to what happened.

Trust me - it's better for everyone involved for them to just keep calm and carry on.

I just can't bring myself to get too worked up about these Tom Sr. pictures. They in no way compare to what the rest of her family has done.

It probably wasn't the best idea, but I don't know enough about the man to ascribe nepharius intent to his actions. I've seen more than enough from the rest of that group to see what type of people they are.

Higher-ups? William has his own embarrassing inlaws. And neither he nor Charles will blame Meghan because neither her father's stupid behaviour nor her half siblings' nastiness is her responsibility or fault.

WHAT embarrassing inlaws?
Except for Uncle Gary, the Middletons have conducted themselves with decorum and taste.

I feel for Meghan; she has a horrible money-grubbing family!
No wonder she wants to distance herself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom