Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meghan being an American definitely gives her a boost but I also believe she has a lot more interest for a lot of other obviously aspects as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
But did it happen before she met Harry?
Not to my knowledge, but I really wasn't aware of her before that, so I can't say for sure.

But I do think the Meghan Effect only began once she and Harry began making public appearances together. JMO.

No one is denying that she became much more known after her and Harry became public knowledge, but she was already very successful with Tig and her clothing line even before meeting Harry. So she was very successful in that regard already on her own. Before Harry.

There is no American royal hysteria for Meghan. Outside the media reacting the average person has no clue nor do they care about Meghan marrying Harry.

LaRae

I wouldn't say there is hysteria. I mean, people will get up early to watch the wedding, and there are a couple of Meghan fashion blogs, but I don't see tons of stories on her in the U.S.

I wouldn't say there is hysteria. I mean, people will get up early to watch the wedding, and there are a couple of Meghan fashion blogs, but I don't see tons of stories on her in the U.S.

Her name has gained a lot of traction since the engagement and lots of folks will get up to watch the wedding.

Many Americans don’t like talking about their interests in the British Royal Family, but whenever The Queen or young royals come to visit the US, people come out in very deep crowds to greet them. The Queen’s 2007 State Visit was massive.

Royal interest is very much played down here.

Right most folks (U.S.) look at you askance when you mention you are interested in the Royals ...think you are crazy to want to get up and watch the wedding etc.

LaRae

She has had several covers of People magazine, US weekly, InStyle etc. Good Morning America, Today Show all have special weekly Royal Wedding segments. ENews also has regular Royal Wedding segments, ET news also has royal wedding segments. American coverage is mainly light and fluffy, we don't really care about her ex hubby or that strange ex friend or the sellout half siblings We want the wedding details like the dress or the fashion.

She has had several covers of People magazine, US weekly, InStyle etc. Good Morning America, Today Show all have special weekly Royal Wedding segments. ENews also has regular Royal Wedding segments, ET news also has royal wedding segments. American coverage is mainly light and fluffy, we don't really care about her ex hubby or that strange ex friend or the sellout half siblings We want the wedding details like the dress or the fashion.

I think Simon Perry has said that they did back to back covers for Meghan on People late last year. He said that has never been done for anyone before. They did the engagement cover, which sold very well. Then did another one for the week after, and to their surprise, it sold even better than the engagement copy.

I have to disagree.
Chelsy Davy was unknown, but her past relationship with Harry guarantees her press coverage now, even though it is years since they parted.

Cressida Bonas was a wannabe actress; being with Harry got her publicity, followed by job offers. She's constantly photographed leaving the theater.

I honestly believe the impact would be the same, no matter who Harry was marrying.

Give anyone that platform and there's interest. But, I think the level of interest is amplified because of who Meghan is. That's why I referenced both pieces of the equation. What Meghan brings vs. Chelsy/Cressida or someone of that ilk...

-More international interest because she's American and spent so many years living in Canada
-More interest from people of color who may not have traditionally followed the BRF because she's biracial
-Her own following as an actress from TV fans and social media
-A catalog of interviews, articles, pictures, etc. from her career/The Tig that give insight into her life and her character. Typically, you don't have this much 1st person information about a royal-to-be pre-marriage.

So sure, if you dropped in another woman with Meghan's identical profile you might get the same effect. OK...

Hysteria is an extreme stretch but let's not pretend there's not some mainstream interest. Jacqui to be specific People magazine has done 6 cover stories on H&M since the engagement including 2 back-to-back. You don't do that many stories if it's not generating sales. The issue after the engagement issue was the biggest seller they had in all of 2017. U.S. entertainment/fashion magazines and talk shows have covered the engagement as actively as the British media, but it's only as the wedding has gotten closer that more traditional outlets have picked up the story.

Last edited:
Me neither.

I think Americans will watch the wedding, follow her fashion, etc., but I wouldn't call it hysteria. There may be more interest in Meghan than Kate, which can be attributed to Meghan being American and the novelty factor around that.

Hysteria is an extreme stretch but let's not pretend there's not some mainstream interest. Jacqui to be specific People magazine has done 6 cover stories on H&M since the engagement including 2 back-to-back. You don't do that many stories if it's not generating sales. The issue after the engagement issue was the biggest seller they had in all of 2017. U.S. entertainment/fashion magazines and talk shows have covered the engagement as actively as the British media, but it's only as the wedding has gotten closer that more traditional outlets have picked up the story.

I agree with this. On CNN.com, you might have seen a small item on the first page, and that's about it. She's been mentioned on a couple of talk shows but honestly, Trump sort of swallows up the most media attention for traditional news outlets.

I would definitely put Meghan as a C List or even D List actress; essentially an actress who has a job but isn't making huge waves isn't being noticed by the mass amount of media outlets and 98.8% of the population wouldn't know who she was if she hadn't hit the stratosphere because of her boyfriend. It's not an insult to call Meghan C List, it's just what is.

Good grief! :rolleyes: I would just reply that I know of no where where the use of C or D has any real meaning. Can you point to anywhere such designations are used with a common understanding of meaning, except perhaps to diss someone for whatever reason?

And as for the underlined, you do realize that that takes place because of aggressive PR campaigns? Meaning: big money, maybe a studio, trying to 'sell' a 'property'? It's so complicated. Has to do with power (not talent per se). Who 'plays the game'. Has everything to do with box office receipts. I could go on but well-known actors are well-known less for themselves than because they have a PR machine behind them, they are making choices, cutting deals (not always savory deals either, look at Harvey Weinstein :sad:).

Seems like it Xenia. I'd never heard of her till she was dating Harry. She's had fairly steady work, but she' wasn't famous. Not that being "A List" means you're necessarily a great actor.. because it often has more to do with looks and determination.. and luck.. Meghan may well have been a good actress technically but she simply had not become a star... However I'm guessing she's a competent but far from brilliant actress... and she was employed which in a job like acting, is doing pretty well... But she wasn't famous....

'Famous' is relative. Being successful is not a function of being 'famous'. Meghan's career as it stood was successful. She was, in fact, at an interesting crossroads once Suits ended.

Being an A-Lister (as is defined by public perception and PR) has everything to do with deals, and being 'one of the guys' (however that comes about, though there are the rare few who do get break-out roles early on and then have some clout but those stories are rare indeed). American actors do not come up through an acting system the way British actors do. 'Fame' and being respected in the profession are two very different things. It is the latter that reliably gets one gigs. JMO of course but I feel obliged to say. ;) Meghan was getting respect in the profession which is what counts and what could have been parleyed in any number of ways. :flowers:

Many of the posters here didn't know about Meghan before she met Harry, but that doesn't take away from the fact, that she was an actress with over 1 million followers on instagram, had a very successful clothing line and an equally successful lifestyle blog, which brought her a really nice income. That's more than I assume either of Harry's exes have going on even after their relationships with Harry. IMHO the Meghan effect is largely happening because of her own qualities, not just because of her engagement with Harry. I don't think the same would be happening had he proposed to any other woman.

Exactly so, and that's success. :flowers: If you personally had no knowledge of her doesn't count. There are massive numbers of people who are wildly successful in their niches but for whom there is no global awareness. In fact (and I am particularly thinking of the gaming world) there are some who have global fame yet if you are not tracking in that niche you are likely clueless about them. Attend a Comic-Con to get what I mean.

Anyway, I'm not sure why some find it necessary to diminish Meghan's real accomplishment as an actor. Her connection to Harry most definitely elevated Meghan to global awareness, that she did not have as an actress. But because she did not have that global awareness via her acting (like Grace Kelly did) does not then mean she was doing poorly in her career as an actress. (In this I completely avoid assessing her acting ability). ;)

Last edited:
I don't think the same would be happening had he proposed to any other woman.

Have to disagree on that, because I absolutely think it would..

Right most folks (U.S.) look at you askance when you mention you are interested in the Royals ...think you are crazy to want to get up and watch the wedding etc.

LaRae

Right, but they are the ones that’s first up to watch or come out to greet the royals. It’s almost like a secret interest.

:previous: It's the equivalent of not watching every Oscar nominated movie but still watching the Oscars. Or not being a big football fan but watching the Super Bowl. Americans love a good show. I have multiple friends who don't consider themselves royal watchers but watched Diana's funeral or Kate & Will's wedding. Those same people will watch H&M's wedding too. Frankly, it seems like that's the case for a lot of people in the U.K. too.

Last edited:
Posts about Kate's background and work history are off-topic and have been deleted.

Let's also move on from the Cressida/Chelsey discussion. You can discuss them in the Royals' Ex-Partners thread.

A nickel’s worth from me...I think any gal who marries into the royal family is going to be “hounded” and “scrutinized” by the media. A pretty gal with a bubbly personality only adds to it. Also, although never watched Suits, I don’t consider Meghan “a lettered actress”. She was an actress for several seasons, which is an accomplishment in itself, as many times people are recast. It’s like comparing who’s a better dancer, a Rockette or the Prima Ballerina at Lincoln Center.

Please note that a number of posts contributing to this thread having to be closed for the last few days have been deleted.

The constant bickering and misinterpretation of what other people are saying is disruptive and frankly childish. Members wishing to conduct what should be a private conversation may do so by private message rather than disrupting the thread with their back and forth arguing. Thank you.

:previous: I don't watch 'Suits', never have and yet with advertisements etc, I knew she was on that show. That she had been there seven years is no small achievement and being part of an ensemble cast is difficult in that it is necessary to 'click' with the rest of the cast on-screen, which is pretty daunting.

Not only did she do that but she managed to make personal friendships with her co-workers. I laughed when one of the Directors mentioned they started looking at ways to write her out of the show in January of 2017 because, to them, it wasn't a question of if, but when.

If nothing else, being on the show proved she had staying power and used her downtime productively with her blog and charity work. It really is serendipitous that just like acting, working royals have rushes, such as the one we've experienced since January, and then there is a downtime. Fate provided both Harry and Meghan with a partner with much the same ideals and dreams.

Both Harry and Meghan are the sum of each of their life's and a blind date later, here we are.

There is no American royal hysteria for Meghan. Outside the media reacting the average person has no clue nor do they care about Meghan marrying Harry.

LaRae

I wouldn't say hysteria, but among both my friend group and in my working circles, I have NEVER heard or had as much conversation(s) about the BRF as I have since the engagement announcement. I have overheard conversations on the metro or over the news-stand too. I am not officially outed as the resident royal watcher.

Moreover, Black media sources have never covered the royals, and they do now (well Meghan)

Will that mean big ratings? IDK, but the American media is banking on it. All the networks are all sending their top anchors and massive teams to cover the wedding.

I also hear radio shows talk about it whenever new info comes out about the wedding and mainstream media as well. The NYT has ran several pieces on Meghan this week alone. Washington Post is upping coverage. I've seen stuff in the Boston Globe, Chicago Papers, Miami Herald and LA Times too.

There is interest here. Does that mean the majority of Americans? No, but I think a sizeable amount. Someone up thread mentioned the Oscars or the Superbowl even though you may not watch the movies or follow football. Similar with big royal events too. You may not follow the royals, but when a big event happens like a birth or a wedding, you tune in.

I also think the surge in historical royal shows like the Crown has reignited American interest in the BRF too.

I think honestly that is doubly true right now because the US is exhausted. Its been a trying season in this country and anything good or positive is a reprieve. A black/biracial girl from a fractured family, middle class childhood, turned successful woman, beating the odds and marrying a prince sounds just the ticket. That prince is our favorite cheeky, rogue red head made good with a heart of gold (yadda yadda, PR drivel here)? Even more so. Diana's youngest son? Yes, indeed, there is interest.

Last edited:
I think honestly that is doubly true right now because the US is exhausted. Its been a trying season in this country and anything good or positive is a reprieve. A black/biracial girl from a fractured family, middle class childhood, turned successful woman, beating the odds and marrying a prince sounds just the ticket. That prince is our favorite cheeky, rogue red head made good with a heart of gold (yadda yadda, PR drivel here)? Even more so. Diana's youngest son? Yes, indeed, there is interest.

I think you hit the nail right the head. For the most part the news stories in the U.S. are negative, divisive, and depressing. A biracial, successful in her own right American about to marry a prince who also happens to be the son of the late Princess Diana (who was always very popular with the American media) is a genuinely feel-good story and a nice reprieve from the usual news, even for Americans who usually don't follow the BRF.

Seems like it Xenia. I'd never heard of her till she was dating Harry. She's had fairly steady work, but she' wasn't famous. Not htat being "A List" means you're necessarily a great actor.. because it often has more to do with looks and determination.. and luck.. Meghan may well have been a good actress technically but she simply had not become a star... However I'm guessing she's a competent but far from brilliant actress... and she was employed which in a job like acting, is doing pretty well... But she wasn't famous....
I agree, saying someone is C List isn't just an insult it's also partially true. A List is when you are #1 on the list to big premieres and award shows magazines and tabloids can't shut up about you and your movies make billions or you're on the #1 TV show in the county.
Meghan was an actress with a steady job but in no way was she a star.

I don't see what is wrong with Meghan acting helping her pursue charity work. Good people can contribute to charity and still want to have a comfortable life. You don't have to join the Peace Corps and live in a 3rd world country while doing charity work.

Last edited:
Please take the discussion about the wedding to the wedding thread.

In a profession in which approximately 95% of actors are unemployed in their chosen profession at any one time, Meghan being a regular on a cable show for seven seasons was a great achievement in my book. She was recognised by followers of Suits. And she was an independent woman earning her own money and with a regular job.

Last edited:
In a profession in which approximately 95% of actors are unemployed in their chosen profession at any one time being a regular on a cable show for seven seasons was a great achievement in my book. She was recognised by followers of Suits. And she was an independent woman earning her own money and with a regular job.

Also it should be noted that it usually takes Women of Color about 10 years to finally gain widespread recognition. An actress like Kerry Washington has been acting in movies for years, but it took starring in a TV show to finally make it in the industry.

I mention this because success does not happen over night and for some it is a much longer process than others. Alot of WOC do not get full recognition until they are in their late 30's like Kerry Washington and Viola Davis. Meghan's career trajectory was rising before she met Harry. That agent mentioned a book deal and other deals that did not happen because of her relationship with Harry.

Last edited:
Good gracious it doesn't matter if she is black white or whatever! No one is saying she has not had success; we are saying she is not A List of even B List. There are different levels of success and it is not an insult to acknowledge that Meghan is not as successful as others whether due to PR or whatever. She didn't become B list until Harry and then the stratosphere when they became engaged. So what!!! It is what it is. She has more money than any of us here.

I think everyone has said their piece about what Hollywood list Meghan was on, and we can move on.

Tom Jr is giving an interview to an Australian show:
Royal wedding: Meghan Markle is ‘embarrassed’, Thomas Markle Jr tells Sunday Night

First he dragged Meghan for not inviting the Markles to the wedding, involved the royal family (including the queen), hoping they would force Meghan to invite them. Now that he sees the BRF will not cave to public pressure by the Markles he is taking a different tact, wants reconciliation and be an uncle to Harry and Meghan's future children. I think the interview by Noel Rasmussen to DM the week before has forced Jr. to take this approach.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dail...-tells-family-stop-sniping-Royal-wedding.html

Why are the Australian networks so fascinated? Meghan does not see them as family and we can see why.

The show also features Morton who says the marriage won't last cos everyone in her family including her own divorced after 2-3 years. He does not know her so why is he commenting. I am so done.

Right now "royal wedding fever" is ramping up as the date gets closer and closer. All sorts of media are focusing more and more on this upcoming wedding as they realize that its a dog eat dog world (with some people as targets as if they're wearing Milkbone underwear) out there for readership/viewing and the juicier the story, the better to draw attention.

The Markle side of the family has proven to be an easy mark to get those juicier, negative, and even preposterous rantings that are well.... entertaining.

Its all in the cut throat business called reporting. There's a lot of money being made and exchanging hands out there right about now. :D

Tom Jr is giving an interview to an Australian show:
Royal wedding: Meghan Markle is ‘embarrassed’, Thomas Markle Jr tells Sunday Night

First he dragged Meghan for not inviting the Markles to the wedding, involved the royal family (including the queen), hoping they would force Meghan to invite them. Now that he sees the BRF will not cave to public pressure by the Markles he is taking a different tact, wants reconciliation and be an uncle to Harry and Meghan's future children. I think the interview by Noel Rasmussen to DM the week before has forced Jr. to take this approach.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dail...-tells-family-stop-sniping-Royal-wedding.html

What is wrong with these overgrown children. This is creepy. why not try to be a father to your own CHILDREN first.

The show also features Morton who says the marriage won't last cos everyone in her family including her own divorced after 2-3 years. He does not know her so why is he commenting. I am so done.

Yet he wrote a book about Harry's mother getting a divorce and his father, uncle and aunt are all divorced...but lets blame Meghan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom